One

Palace ploys

Ancient China, Feng Dynasty

The passing wind rustled the leaves, sending crackling sounds to the Lady's ears. As she sewed her embroidery diligently, the ruckus outside was growing louder.

Yaling rushed out quickly, yelling at the young boys.

"Can't you see that the Lady is resting? How dare you bunch of little good-for-nothings create so much trouble outside her palace? Are you out of your mind?"

The young men laughed boisterously, with a slight twinge of sacarsm, then one of them replied back sharply.

"We are here to make some noise."

We are here to make her fear. 

"We only want to invite her out for a drink. What's the problem? Since she isn't coming out, we'll just drink outside her palace while waiting for her, shan't we?", he continued. Soon after, he joyously raised his tea cup, which was ironically filled with wine instead and stared straight into Yaling's eyes. 

"Join us."

Yes, join us, or life will be riddled with obstacles from now on. Do not expect me to treat you with kindness at all. If my invitation is declined, my Lady, you have chosen to side with the wrong people tonight.

Expect the worst, if you continue to reject my proposal of alliance. 

For we will all remember this night.

 

Flustered, Yaling rushed back into the Lady's quarters.

"My lady, those disgraceful young lads refuse to leave your yard. Shall I order the imperial guards to take them down?" Yaling said as she bowed repectfully to the Lady.

Lady Xuanhua only looked down. Her eyes trained on the cracks on the ground. 

She did not answer. 

The night went on, still, with the young men's activities disrupting the supposedly quiet night. 

As Luhan sipped his cup of wine, humming as he thought about night.

He smiled and muttered softly to himself, his gaze focused on the closed doors of Lady Xuanhua's quarters.

"Clever."

-- -- --

A dart flew past her head and missed her by inches. Her straggly hair flew all around her face as she raced into the darkness of the palace. Tears were collecting in her eyes.

 

My final moments are here. Spent in such undesirable anguish. My son-——

 

The second dart was shot with pure accuracy. It was aimed at her heart.

 

A quiet puncture of her heart brought everything to a stop. The bloodied victim slumped onto the ground and lay lifelessly on the ground. A tear has escaped from her bloodshot eyes.

 

Now for some enjoyable wine.