Final

Love as Cold & White as Snow
Please log in to read the full chapter

Youngjae awoke to an unexpected roar coming from what sounded like his home's parlor. Shocked, he jolted out of bed and shot out his bedroom. He hurried down the flight of stairs only to freeze halfway when he smelled that oh-so familiar scent and heard that voice, the one that always sounded so musical to his sensitive ears. Once Youngjae realized who it was that had awoken him, he cowered back a few steps, pressing himself against the wall in attempt to eavesdrop on the heated conversation occurring. However, he was completely unaware that his parents and their guests had already caught his strong scent, deciding to continue their meeting regardless.

"What exactly do you mean by no, Daehyun? Is my son not good enough to be in your presence now?" Youngjae heard his Father, Zico, snarl to his once-best friend.

"That accusation is far from the truth behind my answer, your highness," Daehyun murmured, face calm, seemingly without a trace of fear directed toward the seething snow leopard standing in front of him.

"Then what would the truth be?"

"I can’t marry Youngjae, because I don’t love him; I made that known to him several years ago. Brutally."

Upon hearing his childhood crushes answer, Youngjae turned and half, ran-half tripped his way back up the carpeted stairs and into his room where he promptly slammed his door shut, eventually crying himself into sleep once again because of that tiger: Daehyun.

"Look at what you’ve done now Jung Daehyun," Youngjae’s and his Mother scolded. Youngjae’s Mother, Yukwon, continued after a moment, "You know he likes you and yet you are so cruel to him. Your Mother and I have been planning this marriage since pregnancy; I don’t care what kind of protest comes from your rude, inconsiderate mouth -- you’re going to marry Youngjae this Sunday!"

Bewildered, Daehyun could only nod; there was no way he could hope to go up against Youngjae’s mother once he’s put her mind to something.


 

That Sunday...

Two hours before the wedding ceremony began; Yukwon was finally able to force his son out of his room after his self-isolation following his eavesdropping on the meeting between the Tiger and Snow Leopard families. Daehyun’s words towards him had destroyed the walls Youngjae had so expertly built in his mind to distance himself from those childhood memories.

"Umma, why are you making me marry him. I mean, it’s obvious that he’s disgusted by me. Daehyun couldn’t even stand me saying an innocent I love you when I was five," Youngjae whined, hugging his pillow close.

"Jae... I’m sure he isn’t disgusted by you. Maybe he just isn’t sure how he feels towards you; he’s an only child -- unlike you. Daehyun probably doesn’t know how to show his feelings. I’m sure you're aware of how strict the Tiger family is when it comes to displaying emotions," she comforted. "Just be yourself, sweetie, I'm sure Daehyun will warm up to how he really feels eventually."

"What do you mean by that, Umma?"

"Oh, I swear Jae, are you blind as well. I won't say much, because you need to figure it out on your own, but Daehyun is far, far away from despising you. Believe me," she said, standing up from sitting on Jae's bed. "Now, go get ready. You have a wedding to get to, and if you're late, you'll have a new mother-in-law and me to deal with for it... Don't worry -- the same also goes for Daehyun," she winked and left the room.

After the wedding ceremony...

Thanks to their parents and their inability to leave on a honeymoon, the newlywed couple stayed at their newly-bought ten bedroom, six bathroom mansion outside Seoul. To say that the atmosphere was awkward would be an understatement. For one, Youngjae was trying to take his mother's advice to be himself and care for his new husband, while Daehyun, on the other hand, was doing his best to give Youngjae a cold shoulder. There would be no affection as long as he could help it. With that acknowledged, Daehyun refused to sit with Youngjae in the living room when he was asked to watch a movie, ignored all pleas for his attention, bathed -- but not without slamming the door in Youngjae’s face -- then went straight to bed.

Youngjae, startled by Daehyun’s drastically cold treatment on top of the bathroom door shutting forcefully, mere inches away from his face, decided to quit for the day and just go to bed. Unknown to Daehyun, however, his significant other would spend the remainder of the evening curled up and crying in a corner of the bedroom farthest from Daehyun’s.

~*~*~

Daehyun finished his shower around 11 p.m. and was relieved to see that Youngjae was nowhere to be seen. Sighing in relief, he made his way to his master bedroom. Once there, he fell asleep almost instantly, exhausted from avoiding a certain snow leopard, but not before noticing the storm clouds looming in the sky outside the window for as far as the eye could see. It will be a long night for light sleepers, he thought in the moments before passing out.

~*~*~

Whining in annoyance and fear due to the lightning and thunder, Youngjae could no longer survive the storm alone. It had taken a good hour since the weather became worse, but Youngjae finally built up the courage to go to Daehyun’s room, hoping for comfort from his worst fear. With tears still in his eyes, Youngjae quietly opened the door that separated him from terror and perceived protection.

Silently walking into the room, closing the door gently behind him, Youngjae turned to see the most beautiful sight: the sleeping figure of his long-time-beloved white tiger. Carefully, he made his way over to the edge of the king-sized bed, a bit hesitant to wake the other, scared of Daehyun’s reaction. That is until another round of what seemed to be amplified thunder came. Squeaking out of fright, he wasted no time in waking the other.

"Daedae, please wake up," Youngjae urged, immediately shaking Daehyun (not to gently) until the other stirred slightly.

Groaning from frustration, Daehyun sat up too quickly, startling Youngjae, before roaring, "What in the world do you want," only adding to Youngjae’s distress, causing more tears to fall, his shivers increasing.

"C...can I...would it be alright if I sleep...in here?" Youngjae begged between shivers, desperate for some form of safety.

"Why should I let you?" Daehyun scoffed.

"P..please...I'm afraid...of AHHH," he screamed along with the lightning and thunder that just hit, crouching down and wrapping his arms around his shivering body.

For reasons unknown to him, Daehyun melted at the scared cat in front of him; an urge to protect Youngjae washing over him. I guess Father didn't train me well enough, he thought.

"Fine, but don't be too clingy," Daehyun grumbled, scooting over to give Youngjae room.

"Seriously?!" Youngjae asked in disbelief. When he received no answer except Daehyun pulling the back the blanket, Youngjae stood up and quickly jumped into the warm bed, latching himself on to Hyuk.

"Thank you so much Daedae," Youngjae whispered, falling into unconsciousness.

Sighing at the nickname he hadn't heard in years, Daehyun whispered back, "You're welcome Jaejae," placing a light kiss on Youngjae’s forehead and wrapping his arms around the latter protectively; drifting off to sleep soon after.

Six months later...

"Daedae," Youngjae called from the kitchen, to Daehyun sitting in the parlor reading.

"Yes, Jae," he replied.

"Do you have to meet with your Father today?" Hae asked, now standing in the doorway separating the two rooms. "I'll pack you a lunch."

"Unfortunately I do, but I'd love if you'd prepare some food for me," Daehyun smiled softly.

"O...Okay," Youngjae blushed, looking to the floor in embarrassment.

Their relationship had begun to mend that night six months ago, when Daehyun gave up denying his feelings for the latter after all those years; however, he’d yet to confess. Daehyun, in fact, was planning to do so that very day after his meeting.

"Oh, before I forget," Youngjae said, looking back up, "I’m going out with Jongup today to shop so don’t worry about me being lonely; I’m sure there are important matters that could keep you most of the day."

"Alright. Thanks for telling me, Jae."

"You’re welcome," he smiled, turning around to go and prepare Daehyun’s favorite food for lunch.

~*~*~

Thirty minutes later, there was a knock at the door; knowing Youngjae was busy in the kitchen, Daehyun made his way to answer it.

"Jae, Jongup is here," Daehyun called, after inviting Jongup in.

"Alright, I’m just cleaning up."

"I take it you guys have become closer," Jongup questioned, while waiting for his older brother.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Sorry to say that it is, considering that at the wedding it appeared you couldn’t stand to even look at Youngjae ."

"Well...now I know he needs me and protection," Daehyun informed, looking over to see Youngjae heading towards them by the door.

"Jonguppie," Youngjae squealed, hugging his baby brother. "I’m sorry for making you wait!"

"It’s alright, Zelo won’t mind waiting; he’s the one that wanted to take us along, after all," Jongup laughed at his childish older brother and boyfriend.

"Zelo?! I haven't seen him since the wedding," Youngjae beamed, turning around to face Daehyun, he begged, "Dae~~, is it okay if I leave before you," giving his best puppy eyes (even though he was a cat).

"Of course Jae, go have fun," Daehyun smiled  in encouragement.

"YAY!! Bye Daedae," Youngjae shouted, hugging his husband before walking out the door.

"Jae," Daehyun stopped him, "Remember not to stay out too late."

"De, I know, overprotective hubby of mine," Youngjae laughed, closing the door behind him, following Jongup to the car.

"Be safe, Jae...I love you," Daehyun whispered to himself, sighing as he went to prepare for his meeting that afternoon.

~*~*~

Mere seconds after Daehyun locked up to leave; his phone unexpectedly rang, showing an unknown number. Curious as to who could be calling, he decided to go ahead and answer.

Please log in to read the full chapter