Letters Can Talk Back

Halloween Academy for the Creatures of Fright

 Donghae looked at the smooth, white envelope in his hand. He had gone outside to get the mail for his mother when he found a letter addressed to him. It was a clean, crisp envelope with a red seal that held it closed. All in all, it looked pretty important to him but why was it his? No one ever sent Donghae letters, unless it was his birthday and his grandparents were the only one that sent them. Still overlooking the envelope a small breeze blew through his white v-neck and he rubbed his arms as he shivered.

 Quickly he walked back to the house holding the small letter to his side. In the house it was choas. His little brother in his Nemo pajamas was crying and his older sister was stomping around and yelling. Shutting the door behind himhe made his way through the house quickly as his mother flipped pancakes and his father rushed to fix his tie. This wasn't a surprise to the 19 year-old as he walked further into the cream colored house.

 On the way to the living room he passed many mirrors and pictures. Only a few of the pictures actually had his face though. He shook off the feeling of being ignored by his family and pressed on to the living room. It was a white carpeted room with a cream colored couch and gold edging the rest of the furniture. Typical of his mother to make it feel like a mansion instead of a family home. The couch was barely sat on and the television only ever played soap operas and her 'adult' dramas.

 Sighing to himself he plopped down into one of the light-brown chairs by the window. Then he threw the rest of the male onto the table and stared as the letter addressed to him. What struck him as weird was the fact that gold writing now decorated the front of it. 

 "Hallows Eve Academy of Learning." he said to himself softly. What a weird name for a school. He jumped slightly as the words suddenly started changing. 'Open it.' they said. Shaking slightly he wanted to put the envelope down but before he could his sister ripped the letter out of his hands. "Yah!" TUrning around quickly he turned to face her as she stuck her tongue out at him. 

 "What do you have here Hae~?" she asked in a devious voice. With no reply as Donghae looked down she grinned like a chesire cat. "We'll just have to find out won't we?" Smirking she started to slowly rip the letter open, taking enjoyment from Donghae's surprise expression. As soon as she finally ripped it open she slowly pulled the cream colored paper out of the envelope and dropped it to the floor. Then she slowly opened up the letter.

 "Give it back!" Donghae yelled as he made a grab for the paper in her hands. She pulled it back though and grinned to the younger boy. Shaking her head she smiled sweetly and ran off to the kitchen. "Yah!" Donghae scrambled o get out of the chair and fell over the arm as he hurried. Lifting himself from the floor he pulled his legs off the chair. Then he ran off to follow his sister, noticing that the house was eerily quiet. He knew why soon as he could here his sister's voice from the kitchen.

 "Lee Donghae, you have been c-cordially invited to Hallows Eve Academy of Learning." Then it clicked as he neared the door. She was reading his letter! He seriously had no privacy in this house! Walking at a faster pace he stopped just oustide the door. Donghae didn't want to get in trouble. Besides, he had a habit of pointing out his sister's reading mistakes. She was older than him but she could barely read 8th grade words! It was a surprise they were even related.

 "We believe that you have the skillset to be a val-v-valuable student for our academy. It offers many priv-privelages and act...ivities you can enjoy with other students. Now, you've probably wondered why you have re-recieved this invitation in the first place. We now how you feel." Donghae's eyes widened at the words. What did they mean they knew how he felt? Shaking the fear away he focused on the words his sister was going to read next when suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder.

 "Aaaaaaah!" Jumping he turned around quickly and stopped screaming. It was just his sister who had already come out of the kitchen. She had an angered expression on her face and it made him flinch. What was she going to do now?

 "Here dweeb." she said in an annoyed tone as she shoved the letter into his chest. His sister seemed to have lost all interest in the letter. Somehow he knew exactly why. His sister always got angry when she couldn't read a lot of "hard" words. Looking at her stomp away he gulped and ran to his room before his mother could find him. Donghae needed to find out what the letter was going to say next. It felt like it was talking to him.

 Once in his room he shut the door and locked it. Resting his back against it he breathed heavily from dashing up the stairs. His back slid against the smooth surface till he reached the floor. Sitting there for awhile before his breathing evened out. He really needed to work out more. Sighing to himself and rubbing his hair he tapped his bare feet against the carpeted floor. The padding of his feet could be heard faintly around the room.

 Rubbing his eyes he spread his legs out in front of him, his grey sweatpants brushing against the soft carpet. Slowly he unfolded the crinkled letter and looked at the thin black words on the page. Skimming trough it he found the point where his sister had stopped and started reading aloud.

 "We now how you feel. You have been ignored for all your life but you don't seem to know why." Donghae gulped as he read this. How did they now about that? Suddenly the words changed and what he read next shocked him. "There is no need to be afraid Donghae. Just read." Shaking slightly he nodded like he was speaking to the paper and the words changed back. Then he spoke aloud to himself once more.

 "To help you we invite you to the academy. You are also needed here though so the others can understand how important your kind are." Donghae's expression turned from fear to confusion. 'My kind?' he though. He wasn't sure what that meant but shook it off and continued to read. "So, we once again invite you to Halloween Academy for the Creatures of Fright. Hallows Eve Academy of Learning." Donghae looked confused at the paper once again. The name for the school seemed to be scribbled out as the name was written again after. He tried to make itout but it was to smudged up. 

 Shaking his head he gave up on figuring out why it was scribbled out and overlooked the note once more. His eyes started widen again as all the words on the paper disappeared. Now, bold black print was in the center of the page. It read 'We expect you to at least come for orientation.' it said. The paper seemed to have read his mind. Before he was thinking of throwing the note in the trash and hopefully forgetting about it. 

  Quickly he threw it across the room and held in a yelp. The letter scared him as he'd never seen anything like it before. Letters that could talk to people and read minds? That was to much in his eyes. He'd lived normally all his life and out of the blue he's talking to a piece of paper! Maybe he was going mad but this certainly wouldn't end well. Suddenly he could feel the door behind him being pounded on. 

 "Open this boy!' his mother yelled from the other side and he sighed. Standing up slowly he opened the door, watching as she stomped in and inspected his clean room. Well, all except for th paper on the floor. His mother, seeing it, picked it up off the floor and looked back to Donghae with an annoyed expression. Soon she was reading the letter and hers eyes brightened considerably. Holding it behind her back she walked over to Donghae and smiled sweetly. "You should start packing sweetie~" she said and laughed under her breath. Then she put the note back in his hands and walked out of his bedroom. 

 Looking at her back questioningly he opened up the now crumpled cream paper. His eyes widened once again for about the fifth time that day. The words had changed again! Now they read something and he grimaced as the words seemed to float off the page. He finally undersood why she told him to pack. Crunching it up he threw it in his black trash bin by the door and growled slightly under his breath. Why did it have to say that!?

 Not wanting to question his mother though he grabbed a suitcase from under his bead and started packing. He wasn't completely sure as to why he was listening to her but maybe this 'academy' wouldn't be such a bad idea. He could get away from the people that, oh so  despised him. Besides, it wasn't like they would give him a choice. Sighing to himself he opened his brown wood dresser and started packing it with all the clothes he would need. Unknown to him, the words on the note changed again as it opened up slightly.

 'We knew you'd be coming.' Through the window Donghae thought he could here a faint laugh riding on the wind.


>>> First chapter! ^^ I hope you liked it and I hope it's long! Can't really tell right now... *lost in though* Anyways~, I have a poll for you guys who read this so please answer!