WHITE

WHITE

                  Eunmi knew it was too good to be true when she got accepted as a SM trainee back in 2008. Girls like her just didn’t seem to fit SM’s image of the pretty-kids-next-door. But whatever, the past was the past; all her hardships and struggles were worth it because she would be debuting next month as a member of SM’s new girl group. It was especially exciting since SM had bought a new studio in Gangnam.

                Although the new studio was definitely roomier, it also carried an air of evil. Eunmi could feel her heart rate quickening as she stepped into the dance room. It looked like a normal dance room but something wasn’t quite right. The newly-installed lighting didn’t hide the fact that this place was unholy.   

                “Look at this whole wall of mirrors! So cool!” exclaimed Yooji, the maknae of the group. She glided the palms of her hands against the mirrored wall.

                “Yooji.” coughed a voice from behind.

                 The young girl flashed a cheeky smile when she finally saw the manager, “Sorry, I got carried away. This studio is just so awesome.”

                  “I’m glad you liked it. What about you, Eunmi?”

                 “It’s…” Eunmi paused for a second to stop herself from accidentally saying the word ‘creepy’, “Okay.”

                 “Pff,” scoffed Junna as she side-eyed Eunmi, “You sound like you’re too good for this studio.”

                 Eunmi fisted her hands, “I never said that.”

                 “I don’t even know why you’re debuting with us. Other than your voice, you have nothing.”

                 “At least I have a voice.” Eunmi mumbled under her breath as she watched Junna walked away to get a drink of water. It was times like these that Eunmi wished she had the courage to snap back at Junna. But Junna held all the power in the group. If she offended Junna, she might be cut from the team and all her years of effort would be wasted.

                  It had been decided from the beginning that Junna would be the face of the group. Eunmi didn’t mind since Junna was a ravishing beauty. On the outside, at least. That girl’s personality, however, was more rotten than a rotten tomato.

                  Sighing, Eunmi pressed her hand against the glass mirror. She widened her eyes when there was a sudden creak. Moments later, the panels of the mirrors split open to reveal a hidden cabinet. A pile of old cassettes and CDs spilled out and littered the floor.

                  “What did you do this time, freak?” smirked Junna as she came over.

                  “I…I…” Eunmi could feel her cheeks reddening with embarrassment as everyone gathered around her, “I swear I didn’t break anything.”

                  The manager looked behind the mirror panels, “This is strange. The previous owners of the studio never mentioned anything about secret cabinets behind the mirrors.”

                  “Hey! Look at this.” Yooji bent down and picked up a CD with a platinum-blonde female on the cover. Frosty makeup was applied heavily on the female’s face, making her appear almost ghost-like, “Doesn’t she look like Eunjung from T-ARA?”

                 “It’s hard to tell. She’s so pale.” Junna grabbed the CD from Yooji’s hand and flipped to the back to check the track list, “There’s only one song in this entire album. That’s kinda stupid.”

                “Really?” Yooji got on her tiptoes and peered over Junna’s shoulders, “White? That’s a really boring song name.”

                “Maybe we should give it a listen.” The manager suggested. She took the CD case from Junna’s hands and popped open the lid. Her eyebrows furrowed when there was nothing in there.

                “That’s a bummer.” Yooji pouted, “I really want to hear what the song sounds like.”

                “Wait, look. There’s a cassette with the exact same name.” Junna pointed out, “All we need is a cassette player and we’re good.”

                Eunmi bit her lower lip as the eerie feeling returned again, “Maybe we should just leave the cassette alone. I have a bad feeling about this.”

                “Get your mind out of the gutter. Nothing bad will happen to us. This is real life, not a horror movie.”

***

                Jongin cocked his head to one side and blinked blankly at Eunmi, “I still don’t get what the problem is.”

                Eunmi stabbed her straw against the bottom of her soda can, “They’re using a song that is possibly cursed as our debut track.”

                Trying his best to hold back a laugh, Jongin asked, “What made you think that White is cursed?”

                “I don’t know. It’s hard to explain but I feel uncomfortable every time I listen to the song.”

                “If you want to debut, you have to do as they say. Besides, the concept for White isn’t too bad. At least it’s not silly like Wolf.” Jongin cringed as memories of his most recent comeback flooded his mind.

                Eunmi chuckled. She could always count on Jongin to make her feel better. Ever since he debuted as a member of EXO, they’ve been interacting less and less. She barely gets to see him since he was always traveling back and forth between South Korea and China.

                Other than Yooji, Jongin was her closest friend. He might be labeled as the ‘bad boy’ of the group but on the inside, he was incredibly sweet. She could still remember the time when Jongin lend her his umbrella even though it was raining cats and dogs. Sometimes she wondered if he had feelings for her as well. A guy wouldn’t be this nice to you unless he likes you, right? Right? Unfortunately, Eunmi didn’t have the answer to that question. Even if they both have feelings for each other, they still wouldn’t be allowed to date since SM had a no-dating policy.

                A ring interrupted Eunmi’s thoughts. Her first reaction was to reach for her phone.

                “Sorry. It’s my call.” Jongin said, “Hello, who is this?” He listened and nodded, “Okay, I’ll be in the van in two minutes.”

                “Need to go somewhere?”

                Yeah. Fan-signing in Gangseo.” Jongin got up and dumped his food into the nearest trashcan, “I’ll text you later, Eunmi. Good luck on White. Fighting!”

                Eunmi smiled, “Thanks. Good luck on your fan-signing, try not to get mauled by rabid fangirls.”

                Jongin twitched his nose, “Don’t scare me like that.”

                “Sorry. You’re just so cute when you do that expression. I couldn’t help myself.” Oops, she shouldn’t have said that aloud. Her breath hitched when a spark of fire lit up in Jongin’s eyes.

                “You think I’m cute?” his voice was suddenly deeper, huskier. He took a step closer to her, his eyes locked on her face.

                Eunmi swallowed the lump in and looked at the table, “Yah! Stop it. You should go outside or you would be scolded by your manager!”

                Jongin stood there for a few silent seconds before walking out the door. Was it her imagination or did he seem disappointed when she didn’t tell the truth? Eunmi ran her fingers through her hair and banged her head lightly against the table. Why does love have to be so complicated?

***

                Long blonde hair cascaded down Junna’s back like a bride’s wedding veil. Dark kohl smoked her eyes, accentuating her high cheeks bones and bowed lips. On her body was a white, sequined mini-dress and white stilettos. 

                “Doesn’t unnie looks pretty as the main?” Yooji asked cutely when Eunmi finally returned from her lunch break with Jongin.

                “The main?”

                Yooji nodded, “Just like the girl in the cassette.”

                “Don’t worry, girls. You two will have your turn in the spotlight for your comeback. But this is your debut and we want to catch the audience’s attention.” the manager nodded her head at Junna, “And Junna definitely has what it takes to grab the audience’s attention. If everything goes as planned, she can be our second Yoona and bring more fame to SM Entertainment.”

                “When are we recording the song?” Eunmi asked.

                “Today, if possible.” The manager casted a sleuth glance at Junna to make sure the girl wasn’t eavesdropping on the conversation, “Eunmi, I want you to sing Junna’s part.”

                “This isn’t right.”

                “I know, I know. But we all know Junna can’t sing. You, on the other hand, have the voice of an angel.”

                “This is dishonest.”

                “Dishonesty doesn’t matter in this industry. Fame matters.” The manager patted Eunmi in the back, “Come on, let’s get you a copy of the lyrics. You have an hour to practice before we start the recording.”

                “What will Yooji’s part be?”

                “Only the ‘hahahahaha’ part. Strictly speaking, this is like your solo. Aren’t you glad?”

                Not really. Not when Junna is lip-syncing to my voice, Eunmi thought bitterly.

***

                “It’s so hot in here.” Junna gasped, fanning herself. Beads of sweat rolled down her pale face, streaking the layers of foundation and BB cream on her cheeks. She pulled a couple of Kleenex tissues from the tissue box and patted her face.

                “What are you talking about? The AC is turned to the max.” Yooji commented, rubbing her freezing arms.

                “Are you serious? It’s burning in here.” Panting loudly, the girl twisted her dyed blonde hair into a bun.

                “Do you want me to get you some ice water?” the maknae asked with concern as more sweat dripped down Junna’s face. It was like watching a candle melt.     

                “Yeah. Yeah. Just go.” Junna said, waving her hand.

                Nodding, Yooji hurried out the door, bumping Eunmi on her way out.

                “Eunmi unnie, look after Junna unnie for me, please. She looks like she’s dying.”

                “I’m not! Stop spreading lies!” Junna grouched as she began scratching her face, “God, why is my face so itchy? Why is it so hot?”

                A drop of blood slid down Junna’s face as her nails broke the epidermis. She screeched as the salts from her sweat burned the open cuts on her face. Even so, she didn’t stop scratching. It was as if she was being controlled by an outside force.

                “Junna! Stop it!” Eunmi screamed, trying to hold Junna’s arms back. She grunted as Junna flung her away. Her head banged against the sharp corner of the table. She could feel a swollen lump forming underneath her hair. But she ignored the pain and ran back to Junna. Even though Junna had been mean to her for the past few years, Junna didn’t deserve to die.

                “It’s so hot!” hollered Junna as she began to yank hair from her skull. Her eyes were bloodshot — feral like a creature without control. And her once-beautiful face was ruined. Distorted beyond belief.

                Remembering that she had her phone, Eunmi quickly dialed her manager’s number.

                “What’s going on?”

                “Junna has gone mad.”

                “What?”

                “Just come into the practice room! And call an ambulance or something, Junna is in a very bad condition.”

***

                Jongin raised an eyebrow as Eunmi repeated her story for the eighth time this afternoon. He didn’t look as if he believed her but he didn’t call her out as a liar either.

                “She’s probably hallucinating.” Jongin whispered as he caressed Eunmi’s shoulder.

                “Maybe.” Eunmi could feel bile rising in as images from the morning flashed across her mind, “This whole ordeal is sickening. I told my manger and the producers that this song might be cursed but they just dismissed me as being silly. I want them to believe me. I have a really bad feeling about White. I’ve done some research earlier and I notice a pattern. The girl that is chosen to be the main will die. I don’t want to be next.”

                “I won’t let that happen to you.” Jongin promised, “I will protect you.”

                Eunmi jumped slightly when she felt his warm lips on the side of her neck, “Jongin…”

                “Eunmi, I know this isn’t the best time to say it but I really like you. I want to be there for you.” He turned her head slightly toward him, his lips parting slightly, “Say you like me back.”

                Instead of answering him verbally, she leaned forward and kissed him on the lips. It was a bold move but actions speak louder than words and she got her message across. She could feel him smiling through the kiss. She couldn’t blame him, she was smiling as well.

                “Whoa, what are you two doing?”

                As if both of them had been shocked by lightning, Eunmi and Jongin quickly sprang apart. Their hearts raced with fear until they realized the voice belonged to Yooji and not a staff member.

                “Yooji, what happened to your hair?” No, her eyes must be playing tricks on her. There was no way Yooji was blonde!

                “Do you like it? The manager said that since Junna is hospitalized, I can be the main for our debut. I’m so happy!” the maknae cheered. She gave Jongin and Eunmi a wink, “And congrats on you two finally getting together. The frisson between you guys is just killing me.”

                Eunmi got up and shook Yooji’s shoulders, “Listen to me. You have to change your hair color back! You can’t be the main!”

                Yooji wrinkled her nose, “Are you trying to steal my spot?”

                “No!”

                “’Cause it feel like you are.”

                “White is cursed, Yooji!” Eunmi warned, “Go to the stylists and have them change your hair color.”

                “You’re just jealous since I get to be the main and you’re just the backup singer.” Those were the cruelest words that’d came out of Yooji’s mouth ever. Who knew a hair color could change a person’s personality so drastically.

                “That’s not true!”

                “I don’t want to listen to your words. I’m leaving.” Yooji rolled her eyes, “You should be happy that I’m not going to tattletale about your relationship with Jongin oppa. The company will kick you out for this misconduct.” Crossing her arms haughtily in front of her, she left.   

                Eunmi rubbed her temples. This was getting out of hand.

                “If we gather enough evidence that White is cursed, maybe they won’t make you guys promote White anymore.” Jongin suggested.

                “Do you have time for that?”

                “I can spare a couple of hours. Come on, let’s do it.”

***

                The news were old but real. According to a newspaper outlet, a group known as Pink Dolls promoted White ten years ago and instantly shot to the top. However, one by one, the members were hospitalized until one girl was left. The leader. The ex-backup dancer. A girl named Eunju. But even she wasn’t immune to the curse of the melody. And for some odd reason, the song was forgotten by the public after the fire…it was as if it’d never been there in the first place.

                “This is perfect! Show this to your manager and the producers!” Jongin said he printed pages after pages of old articles.

                “Do you really think this will change their opinion?”

                “It’s better to try than to just sit there.”

                Eunmi nodded. Jongin was right. The least she could do was try.

***

                With fifteen pages of paper in her hands, Eunmi walked to the MV set…only to discover that Yooji was nowhere to be seen. Everyone was looking for her.

                “This girl! Where is she?” the manager groaned, dialing the maknae’s number for the fiftieth time in 30 minutes.

                “I need to talk to you about-”

                “This is not the time! We need to find Yooji!”

                Eunmi didn’t know where Yooji was but she had a feeling that the curse had finally creep up on the maknae. Yooji was probably commiting suicide somewhere.

                One of the staffs screamed as Yooji stumbled into the set with a bottle of bleach in her hands. Bubbles foamed . Her eyes were rolled back, revealing only the sclera of her eyes.

                “Oh my God!” the manager quickly hurried over to the maknae, “Someone call the ambulance!”

***

                Unlike Junna, who was still in critical conditions, Yooji was pronounced dead after ingesting mass amount of bleach. When the producers finally have time to read all the articles that Eunmi had printed, the producers decided to switch songs and postpone the debut of SM’s newest girl group. They would add a few new members and come up with an original track.

                Not wanting anyone else to catch the curse, the company decided to burn the cassette and everything related to White.

                “So…when are you debuting?” Jongin asked a week later when they were eating takeouts.

                “Next year. In 2014.”

                “I hope everything works out.”

                “If not, I’ll just quit. Fame isn’t worth my life.” Eunmi noted as she finished her bowl of rice.

                Jongin smiled and ruffled her hair, “I wish more people will have your mindset. Anyway, are you free tonight?”

                Eunmi raised her eyebrow, “What do you have in mind?”

                “I want to take you out on a proper date.” He gave her a puppy-eyed look, “Please?”

                She smiled, “Okay.”