Bittersweet

Bittersweet

 

Sunggyu looked at the newly weds and smiled bitterly.

 

 

 

He sighed and nodded.

 

They were dancing in the middle of the ball room. The both of them suited each other. They were perfect.

 

Woohyun who had a sharp nose, yet pillowy lips and Jihyo...

 

Jihyo who always looked beautiful with her twinkling hazel eyes.

 

Sunggyu looked at her and bit his lips.

 

She looked pretty with the white wedding dress, hanging on her body beautifully. He hated that she looked good in the dress.

 

His heart ached. A lot.

 

Everytime he layed his eyes on her, he remembered those times....

 

Those memories....

 

 



 

 

 

Sunggyu-ya...” Jihyo called the guy who was sleeping beside her, his chest exposed under the blanket.

 

Sunggyu turned his body to Jihyo, with eyes still closed. He placed his arms over her slender body and she moved her body closer to his. She traced the faint but visible vertical line of muscle that divided his abdomen into two.

 

Last night was...”

 

Awesome,” Sunggyu continued, his eyes barely opened.

 

Jihyo chuckled and Sunggyu finally opened his eyes.

 

Good morning,” She smiled warmly to him.

 

Sunggyu leaned his face closer to hers and planted a sweet kiss on her pillowy lips. Jihyo deepened the kiss before they finally released it.

 

Are you going to make breakfast for me like you usually do?” Sunggyu asked with his husky voice while slidding her hair behind her ear.

 

Mmh... What do you want?”

 

Ah.. Pancakes?” he mumbled.

 

I can make croissants for you though...”

 

Mmh.. Croissants seems good too. Especially if it's made by you,”

 

They both giggled and looked into each other's eye deeply. The more they looked, the more lost they got.

 

Come on, we gotta get up,” Jihyo said and sat down on the bed.

 

But I just want to snuggle together with you here,” Sunggyu whined slightly while locking his fingers with Jihyo's.

 

She ruffled Sunggyu's hair and shook her head.

 

This is so wrong Gyu...” she said, but the both of them still laughed at her dry joke.

 

I know...” Sunggyu nodded and sighed.

 

Despite their desire to stay longer in the bed, Jihyo stood up, revealing Sunggyu her body which was only covered with undergarments. She slid her oversized hoodie above it.

 

I'll see you in the breakfast table okay?”

 

Can't wait to eat your croissants,” Sunggyu answered with a muffled voice before the lady went out of the room. His body was still stuck with the bed.

 

It was after ten minutes that Sunggyu decided to jump out from his cozy mattress, partly because he could smell the scent of the crispy pastry that Jihyo made for him. He dragged himself to the bathroom and splashed cold water to his face before brushing his teeth. He put his white t-shirt before sitting down at the dining table with Jihyo.

 

Seems as appetizing as always,” He praised with a smile before clicking his tongue and rubbing his hands, when he saw his glossy butter-layered croissant placed above the small plate in front of him and the various choices of jams and spreads layed down above the table.

 

Eat well okay?” Jihyo's cheerful voice sounded as if it was a cue to begin their breakfast.

 

Their delightful breakfast went silently, with only audiable munching voices from their mouth. Sometimes Sunggyu would nod his head slightly, as if he was approving the taste of the croissant. However, their peaceful breakfast was interrupted by Sunggyu's cell phone which shrilled loudly. He immediately picked it up.

 

Ne?” He answered.

 

Ya... I'll be there in a second, you guys start your practice first and oh! Tell Woohyun he has a vocal practice with me today too. Hmm... Ne, I'm hanging up.”

 

He closed his cell and immediately finished his croissant.

 

The boys are starting already?” Jihyo asked.

 

Yes, and I need to be there right now. Actually, I'm ten minutes late already,” he said with a slight chuckle while placing the dirty plates above the sink.

 

I told you to wake up,” Jihyo rolled her eyes.

 

Maybe it got really fun last night that I don't even feel like getting up today,” Sunggyu responded and laughed while slipping his feet into his shoes.

 

He took his bag from the couch and pecked Jihyo's lips, but it turned to be more and more intimate and deep.

 

Mmh... I gotta go babe,” Sunggyu said, trying to resist Jihyo's lips.

 

I know... you go now,”

 

They finally parted their lips away and Sunggyu opened the door.

 

So... see you next week?”

 

Jihyo nodded. “See you next week.”

 

And with that, Sunggyu left for practice.

 

 



 

 

Yah! Our leader! You're late again!” Dongwoo cried once Sunggyu entered the room.

 

Sunggyu just laughed and dropped his bag on the corner before joining the others.

 

How long have you guys been practicing?” he asked while stretching his legs.

 

Umm... almost half an hour,” Hoya answered.

 

You're so not late hyung!” Sungyeol glared at him, followed by the others laugh.

 

The other took a short rest while waiting for Sunggyu to finish his warm up.

 

Okay, let's start-”

 

Continue hyung, not start. You're the one who just started,” Myungsoo said playfully and the boys laughed again.

 

Araso... I'm sorry okay?” Sunggyu whined.

 

Okay, I'll start the music,” Hoya informed and the others nodded in their position.

 

Their practice continued for the next four hours non-stop until Sunggyu decided to call it a day. The boys got home one by one, leaving only Woohyun and the leader for their vocal practice.

 

Come on Woo, we need to go there,” Sunggyu said after gulping his water.

 

Ahh.. hyung... drink...” The dehydrated Woohyun asked while stretching his hand out, which immediately gripped the plastic bottle that Sunggyu threw to him.

 

The both of them went out of the practice room after finished packing their stuffs and walked to the recording room- their place for the vocal lesson- which was situated ten minutes away.

 

The wind is really nice hyung...” Woohyun said as he opened his arms out wide. The elder just laughed at him.

 

Come on Woo, stop being insane!” Sunggyu pulled him.

 

AH! Ice cream! Let's go get one!” Woohyun tugged Sunggyu's sleeve and pointed to the small ice cream store at the side of the street.

 

Yah! We're going to have our vocal practice and you want to eat ice cream? Do you want to be dead?” Sunggyu scolded him playfully. He knew he wanted to eat ice cream too. Who would not want to eat the refreshing cold desert after a tiring practice?
 

Come on hyung... You want it too!” The younger whined.

 

Araso... just this once okay?”

 

I love you hyung!!” Woohyun immediately hugged Sunggyu tightly as they entered the ice cream stall.

 

Yah! Stop hugging me! People will start thinking you're gay!”

 

For your information hyung, I have a girlfriend,” Woohyun let go of his hug and stuck his tongue out. Sunggyu just chuckled at the younger's act.

 

They each got a vanilla ice cream and immediately headed to the recording room after finishing the food, unless they wanted to get scolded by their vocal trainer.

 

By the way hyung, Jihyo's coming after we finish our practice. We are planning to grab some takoyaki or some japanese food down the street. Do you want to join?” Woohyun offered.

 

Come on Woo, I won't ruin your date!” Sunggyu answered and they laughed.

 

Glad you realize that!” Woohyun playfully.

 

Their vocal practice went okay for the whole two hours. It seemed that the ice cream didn't really have much effect on their throat.

 

That's for today I guess,” Their vocal trainer said, ending their practice.

 

Sunggyu and Woohyun nodded at him and bowed before leaving the room.

 

Oh... Jihyo!” Woohyun exclaimed when he saw his girlfriend already waiting for him outside the small recording room. The couple hugged each other and Woohyun gave Jihyo a peck on her lips.

 

Sunggyu smiled and nodded to Jihyo, signing to her that he had acknowledged her presence. No, there were no awkwardness, in case you're wondering.

 

Does Sunggyu oppa wants to get some food with us too?” Jihyo asked.

 

No, he said he didn't want to ruin our date,” Woohyun joked and the three of them laughed.

 

That's right. I'll be heading back home now. Enjoy your date you two!” Sunggyu said and left the both of them as he went back to his apartment.

 

So that was how it worked.

 

Sunggyu and Jihyo might want to consider on getting a major in acting some other time.

 



 

 

The seven boys laughed loudly.

 

Yah... Sungyeol! How's your new drama?” Woohyun asked loudly, his arms wrapping Jihyo's shoulder.

 

It was a typical saturday night. The boys, plus Jihyo and Ailee, were spending their sweet time at a tavern located at the corner of the street after their tiring practice, like how they usually do every week. The tavern was comfortable, not so crowded, but noisy enough for them to be able laugh and talk as loud as they want, without other customers bothering.

 

He couldn't even memorize the script!” Myungsoo commented, earning a hit from Sungyeol.

 

Yah! Just because you acted more often than me, doesn't mean you're better!”

 

Idiot!” The visual hissed.

 

Sungyeol glared at him.

 

Ahh... Jinja! Practice today was tiring!” Dongwoo whined.

 

I told you to get some good rest,” Ailee said.

 

Dongwoo looked at her with his wild eyes that turned soft immediately, and smiled gently.

 

Of course, dear,” he said and pecked her on the cheeks.

 

Aigoo... Woohyun hyung, you seem to have a competitor here,” Sungjong teased.

 

No one can beat me and Jihyo!” Woohyun cried before laughing while Jihyo nodded and purposely wrapped her arms around his broad shoulders.

 

Whatever Woohyun!” Ailee responded and stuck her tongue out.

 

Jinja, you guys can never just settle down in peace and talk like a normal person without shouting,” Sunggyu said while shaking his head.

 

Hyung... just because you just broke up, doesn't mean you should act like this. Instead, let's have another shot of drink!” Sungyeol said, followed by the cheers from the others, agreeing to have another shot.

 

They all took for about an hour until they all decided that they were drained and tired already. Each of them went back home one by one.

 

Hyung... I'm going first,” Woohyun and Jihyo stood up.

 

I'm having just one more shot,” Sunggyu mumbled.

 

Mmh... But don't get drunk and go home safely okay?” Woohyun patted Sunggyu's shoulder and left the tavern with his girlfriend.

 

I think I'm going too hyung,” Hoya said as he stood up and wrapped his coat around his body.

 

Okay, be safe,” Sunggyu said and Hoya just nodded in response before leaving.

 

The leader decided to get back to his apartment after drinking another shot. His eyes were heavy and ready to sleep. He even struggled opening his apartment door, but managed to anyways. He took out his shoes and drifted to his bedroom.

 

Mmh... you're back,” Sunggyu was greeted by Jihyo's light voice.

 

The guy sighed and nodded.

 

I'm tired Jihyo... Not today maybe...” Sunggyu said with a hoarse voice as he dropped himself on the bed, beside Jihyo who was sitting at the edge of it.

 

So... we're not... doing it?”

 

Sunggyu grunted and shook his head.

 

Get some sleep now here, I might need you tomorrow,” Sunggyu said with his eyes closed and Jihyo nodded in obedience before laying her body next to Sunggyu's.

 

Sunggyu...”

 

I need to tell you something...” Jihyo said softly, hoping that Sunggyu could hear her, but no. He was asleep already.

 

Jihyo sighed and turned her body to the other side, her back facing Sunggyu.

 

How she wished that Sunggyu was awake...



 

 

Monday morning

 

Sunggyu opened his eyes, greeted by the warm sun rays that shone through the window, towards his bed. He glanced at Jihyo who was still sleeping beside him and smiled with content.

 

Last night...

 

He rocked it last night. Definitely.

 

Sunggyu slid one of Jihyo's bangs behind her ears and mumbled her name softly. He didn't know if he just wanted to say her name or wanted her to wake up.

 

Jihyo raised up her lashes slowly. She smiled when she saw Sunggyu awake already, before she was.

 

You're awake...” She murmered and Sunggyu nodded.

 

Thanks for last night,” Sunggyu said.

 

Your welcome...”

 

I'll make breakfast for you then?”

 

Jihyo nodded and stretched her body. Sunggyu stood up before fitting himself into his house tee and pants, and went out of the room, to the kitchen. The both of them had a simple toast that Sunggyu made for breakfast. It didn't taste as great as the croissant that Jihyo had made last week but it was pretty decent, so they had no problem eating it.

 

As usual, Sunggyu left for practice, this time making sure he wouldn't arrive late or the other members would scold him again. Jihyo promised to meet him again next week.

 

Little did they know, next week wouldn't be the same...

 



 

 

 

Araso, I'm going home!” Sungjong said and layered his body with another piece of coat before leaving the practice room.

 

It was winter then.

 

And freezing.

 

The boys decided to cancel their usual 'meeting' for that day because the seven of them all wanted to just go home and warm themselves.

 

Sungyeol! I'm coming with you okay?!” Myungsoo shouted.

 

Okay,” Sungyeol mumbled.

 

Eyy... the both of you... don't cross the line huh?” Hoya teased, earning a fierce glare from both Sungyeol and Myungsoo who were already sitting inside the car.

 

Okay then... I'll go home too! Be safe you all!” Sunggyu informed the others who nodded and dispersed too.

 

Sunggyu shoved his hands on his pockets and hummed his latest solo song, making sure he remembered each and every lyrics and details, so he won't mess up on his comeback. As he did so, a visible white 'fog' came out of his mouth. Well, after all, it was winter.

 

It didn't took long until he reached his apartment. He entered it and scanned around, searching signs of Jihyo, but it seemed that she haven't arrived yet. He shrugged his shoulders. Maybe she got something to do with Woohyun that took quite a while. Sunggyu went inside his room and turned off the heater. He wouldn't need that later when he was in bed with Jihyo. Then, he went out to his small pantry and opened the cupboard hanging above him.

 

Hmm... what to drink in this cold weather?” he mumbled to no one in particular.

 

His fingers decided that he should sip a cup of hot green tea, so he made one for himself and sat down at the living room. He glanced at the clock beside him, ticking seconds after seconds. Sunggyu sighed.

 

11 o'clock. And no signs of Jihyo.

 

He looked at his phone, contemplating whether or not to text her.

 

He shook his head.

 

No.

 

He then stood up, still warming his hands by holding his cup of greentea tightly, and walked towards the huge glass window, showing him the scene of the busy city. His ears could catch the slight honkings and engine sounds from the car stuck in the traffic below his apartment. He sighed and turned around. Sora's potrait didn't make him feel any better. Sunggyu had purposely placed Sora's potrait at the back wall so that it wouldn't be too frontal, but at the same time, he knew where he should go to in case he wanted to see her face. He didn't mind that it was only Sora's potrait that he could trace down his slender fingers on.

 

He cringed his eyes.

 

Sora.

 

Jung Sora.

 

How long had it been?

 

A week?

 

A month?

 

A year?

 

He didn't know. He didn't want to. Because everytime he tried to remember, his heart would ache so much that he wouldn't succeed in remembering. Remembering how long had it been since she broke his heart. Remembering how long had he been feeling terribly hopeless. Remembering how long he had been doing that with Jihyo.

 

Just then, the door bell rang.

 

He puffed his cheeks and blew out the air before placing his cup above the table and opening the door. He smiled when he saw Jihyo in front. She entered his apartment without making the slightest eye contact with him. Sunggyu furrowed his eyebrows and closed the door while Jihyo sat down at the living room. He followed her.

 

What's wrong? Don't we want to get above the bed? It's winter and I need some heat,” Sunggyu whispered with his soothing voice on her ears and smirked while pulling off her coat from behind.

 

Uh... Sunggyu...” She seemed bothered with Sunggyu's actions and changed her sitting position while fixing her coat.

 

Jihyo stood up and walked in front of Sunggyu.

 

W-what's wrong Sor- I mean Jihyo?”

 

Sunggyu cursed under his breathe. Why did Sora suddenly popped inside his head in this kind of situation?

 

Jihyo sighed.

 

Exactly. It's still Sora...”

 

No... I wasn't thinking straight Jihyo. So let's just do it right now okay? I prepared the bed already,” Sunggyu said as he pulled Jihyo closer to him on her waist.

 

She freed herself from his grip and shook her head.

 

No Sunggyu-”

 

What's wrong again? Did Woohyun say something?”

 

Jihyo shook her head and smiled bitterly.

 

She raised her left hand, the back side of it facing Sunggyu. On her fourth finger- her ring finger- was an elegant silver ring with a small blue gem in the middle of it.

 

Woohyun didn't say anything. I did.”

 

Sunggyu involuntarily took a step backwards. He opened his mouth, wanting to say something, but he just blew out air.

 

W-well... Congratulations then Jihyo... I guess...”

 

Thanks...” Jihyo murmured.

 

The situation didn't seem to be a delightful one. Instead, it turned out to be a bit gloomy.

 

Did Woohyun....”

 

Jihyo nodded.

 

He proposed to me just a few minutes ago,”

 

How?”

 

We were walking and he suddenly bent down on one knees and yeah... you know...” Jihyo's voice got smaller at the end of her answer.

 

Sunggyu nodded. He didn't know why but his heart....

 

It hurt.

 

It hurt when it shouldn't. They made a deal that it shouldn't and it wasn't right.

 

Does he knows about... us?”

 

Yes he does. I told him everything.”

 

Sunggyu messed with his hair and exhaled.

 

How did he-”

 

He didn't react so good. But he was pretty mature about it, especially that I just had a ring on my hand... He told me that I was worth more... He told me that I should think more about my pride... He told me that... he would still love me...”

 

Sunggyu didn't see Jihyo shedding a tear but she was rubbing her eyes so it was a bit obvious that she was crying.

 

Look Sunggyu... I know it's been hard for you but-”

 

Jihyo, I love you.”

 

The both of them looked at each other. As shocked as each other.

 

Sunggyu, you know it's not right-”

 

Nothing has been right Jihyo! Nothing!”

 

Come on Sunggyu, we promised that this wouldn't happen! You promised me! We promised each other we won't have feelings with one another,” Now, it was very obvious that Jihyo was crying. Her cheeks were wet with her tears.

 

Jihyo... promises... are made to be broken...”

 

She shook her head.

 

Sunggyu.. Please... I know it's not love there, you just miss her. You miss Sora-”

 

No Jihyo... I love you. I love you in the way that Woohyun loves you, in the way that I loved Sora,”

 

Sunggyu, this isn't right... I shouldn't have done this in the first place-”

 

Jihyo...”

 

You missed Sora and I need money... It was always Sora, Sunggyu. You sometimes moaned her name and there I was, in the middle of you and her... I was just a place Gyu... I was just your place to throw your emotions for Sora...”

 

Jihyo... please...”

 

She looked at the male in front of her. His eyes potraying all the pain he had been recieving. She felt sorry for him, but she knew it wasn't right. She had to end all of this thing that had been going on with Sunggyu then. At that moment.

 

Jihyo... my heart... isn't suppose to hurt right now. I promised to myself it isn't suppose to hurt on the day I would hear about your engagement with Woohyun. It isn't suppose to hurt today. But... Why does it hurts? Why does it hurts so much Jihyo?”

 

Jihyo closed her eyes and sobbed.

 

It wasn't suppose to be like this Sunggyu! You promised me it wouldn't turn out this way!” She shouted.

 

But Jihyo... I love you... I love yo-”

 

Shut up Gyu! You barely know me! We don't even talk during breakfast!” Jihyo surprised the both of them by snapping harshly at Sunggyu.

 

It wasn't easy for Jihyo. Oh no, it wasn't. But she knew, she shouldn't make it hard for Woohyun and Sunggyu too. Jihyo knew Sunggyu wasn't in love with her. She just knew it. He was lonely. He wasn't used to being alone after Sora left a month ago. Yes, one whole month was the time they had been doing all of this behind Woohyun. It was the time when Jihyo was broke and Sunggyu was alone. They needed one another.

 

Sunggyu looked at Jihyo with an empty gaze on his eyes.

 

I don't love you Sunggyu.”

 

And with that, Jihyo left.

 



 

 

Sunggyu looked at the newly weds and smiled bitterly.

 

He sighed and nodded.

 

They were dancing in the middle of the ball room. The both of them suited each other. They were perfect.

 

Woohyun who had a sharp nose, yet chubby cheeks and Jihyo...

 

Jihyo who always looked beautiful with her twinkling hazel eyes.

 

Sunggyu looked at her and bit his lips.

 

She looked pretty with the white wedding dress, hanging on her body beautifully. He hated that she looked good in the dress.

 

His heart ached.

 

A lot.

 

Just then, he felt someone tapping his back.

 

Sunggyu turned around, and immediately widened his small eyes. To his surprise...

 

S-Sora? Is... that you?” He stammered.

 

The lady in front of him nodded and smiled bitterly.

 

It has been quite a while hasn't it Sunggyu?”

 

Yes... It has been...” Sunggyu answered faintly while secretely pinching his arms to make sure he wasn't dreaming. And it was such a relieve when he found out he wasn't.

 

Sora smiled. Then, there was an awkward silence between them. No one knew what to speak.

 

Sunggyu-” “Sora-”

 

The both of them paused and avoided each other's gaze when they realized that they had called out the other's name at the same second.

 

They chuckled awkwardly.

 

You go first,” Sunggyu said.

 

I uh... it was a mistake...” Sora said nervously.

 

Sunggyu furrowed his eyebrows and smirked.

 

What was a mistake?”

 

You know... breaking up with you... I thought that you were... erhm... cheating on me... But then.. I just realized how much I missed you when I saw your back here,” Sora said. Lucky for her that Sunggyu couldn't see her red ears due to the dim light.

 

Sunggyu let out a genuine smile and nodded.

 

I miss you too Sora,”

 

Then it was silence again.

 

But how did you... end up here?” Sunggyu asked.

 

Uh.. about that... Sungyeol dragged me,”

 

Sungyeol?”

 

Yeah... that bastard really. I'm going to kill him. He said it was his cousin's wedding and he needed a 'date', but it turns out...” Sora didn't need to continue her answer.

 

Sunggyu chuckled and offered her his right hand.

 

Since... ehrm... your 'date' isn't around, Jung Sora, do you.. mind being my... date for tonight?”

 

Sora smiled widely and placed her hand above Sunggyu's. She looked into his eyes and shook her head.

 

"Of course, I don't mind.

 

Sunggyu grinned and glanced at Woohyun and Jihyo once more time. The corner of his eye made an eye contact with the girl in the wedding dress. 

Sunggyu could tell the whole world that his heart didn't hurt anymore.

 

She winked at him.

 

"You were right." Sunggyu mouthed before dancing with Sora.

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

Sorry that there's a bit of mature content OTL

But... how was it? I hope you guys enjoyed reading! :)

Do comment okay?

Thanks all!! ^^