Start of Friendship

Intervening Space

"W-Where are you taking me?" I croaked. She was literally dragging me to God knows where.

She snorted. "Hey, Mister, you've been stalking me for like forever and now that I finally get my hands on you, you look like a rabbit about to gnaw on his own foot? Get ahold of yourself, I am not going to you." She opened a random door and pushed me inside. How could she be so strong? But I really like my woman feisty so I have no complaints. "Now, let's get this straightened out. What do you really want from me, Kim Jae Joong?"

I swallowed repeatedly. How long did I wait for this moment to come? Now that it's finally here, my tongue just decided to abandon me. C'mon brain, do something! "I. . .err. . ."

"I. . .err. . ." She mimicked me, eyes rolling heavenward. "You have guts to stalk me but you can't even think of a decent thing to say!" She exploded. "Do you know how messed up my life is since I met you? Lucky you my brother was the first to know because if this came to father's knowledge, you'll definitely be deported. With a broken bone or two." She added.

"I'm sorry! I didn't know how to approach you--"

"Lesson number one: when you want to get to know a person, you walk up to them and introduce yourself, not stalk them and scare the living daylights out of them!" Her arms were flinging in the air, as if to prove her point. "Lesson numb--" I am not interested about lesson number two. But her lips were so tempting and I can’t seem to get ahold of myself.

****************************************************************************

"Why the long face?" Gerfil asked when she flopped herself beside me. "It’s way too early for some drama, Joralyn." She set her laptop on the concrete table and started typing away moments later.

"If only life’s just a big drama." I breathed and tried to ward the unwanted thoughts off my mind for now. If I am wise enough, I would start working on a proposal due today. But I wasn’t. I let my cheeks touch the cold cement as I laid my head on the table. We were on one of the concrete picnic tables scattered around the quadrangle. "Would you help me about something?"

"What about?" Gerfil asked without moving her eyes off the computer screen.

"I need a parttime job." Now she turned sideways so she’s completely facing me and eyed me suspiciously.

"Are you serious?" I knew exactly what she was thinking. I need to maintain my grades if I wanted to keep my scholarship and I had twenty-four units under my belt. I had to be in school at 8am and my last class ends at four. Every freakin’ day.

"As serious as I am sitting here." I really needed extra money. I didn’t want to ask my sister for everything everytime. Although she wouldn’t like it, I am determined to get a job.

"Gem," She held my shoulders and shook me a bit. "Have you forgotten that you’re not only a scholar but you’re also part of the International Block?" She asked me like I’m a five-year old imbecile.

"So? What does it have to do with anything?" I was as clueless as I can possibly be.

"That’s double the pressure that’s what. Why do you think they paired up these foreigners to the locals? Because they can’t ing catch up!" She hissed. "And it’s your responsibility to help your partner so both of you survive. How can you squeeze all of that in the so little time you have?" I hate it when she’s being smart but she certainly made sense. I didn’t think of that.

"But I would fail as well if I can’t accomplish the projects which are damn expensive by the way." I retorted. Gerfil’s from a well-connected middle class family and I knew she can help me. "I can manage somehow. Please? Help me."

She heaved a heavy sighe before, "Okay. I’ll give you a two-week trial. If your grades dwindle, you’re out."

"Really? Thanks!" I hugged her and she patted my head.

"Don’t thank me yet. I still have to talk to your future employer."

"Uhm, what job is it anyway?" It felt stupid not to ask first but I trust my friend and I knew she won’t put me into something compromising.

"One of mom’s clients was looking for an English tutor for her toddler. I was in her shop the other day and I overheard it. Mom promised to look for one since this woman is a very important client. But she can’t seem to find one so she enlisted my help. You think you can do it?"

"My English is okay and if it’s just a toddler then I think I can handle it. When can I start?"

"I’ll try to call mom during my free time and I’ll give you her number so Mrs. Lee can talk to you directly." I glanced at my wristwatch. My next class was two buildings away and I had to leave if I didn’t wish to be late.

"Okay! Thanks Gerf!" I gave her a beso and scooped my things up. "See yah later." I bumped into Sung Min while waiting for the lift. He was quite in a good mood.

"Good morning, Joralyn." He said. I glared at him. "What? Did I say something wrong?"

"Call me Gem. You’re not my mother to call me by my full name." I spat. I remembered I got a good ol’ scolding the night before because of this guy and my expression immediately went sour. I was late for home by a couple of hours because I had to send him home. He even had a car but didn’t know his way! And I can barely say no to other people. My friends used to say I'll get into trouble one day because of it and I was starting to believe them.

"Okay. Gem. Good morning, Gem!" He repeated the greetings and I rolled my eyes. We both piled to the elevator as soon as it opened.

"There's nothing really good in the morning." I countered and squished out of the confines of the elevator when it dinged on the 5th floor. Sung Min followed suit. "Why are you so sunny today?" I asked as we sat next to each other on our first period class. I got to know a few things about this Korean guy yesterday on our way to his pad. But amongst these information, I liked that he was very fluent in English. And to think that most of the Koreans in the country were here to learn the language, I found it really weird.

"Nothing. Sorry I was rude to you yesterday." He bowed a bit. "Truce?"

"Lunch is better." He chuckled and nodded.

"Okay, okay. Lunch it is and Gem--" He made puppy dog eyes at me and I had to remind myself to close my mouth. How can a guy be so cute?

"What?" I glowered at him to hide my discomfort.

"Can you. . .tour me around too? Jae Joong-hyung was too busy and--"

"Wait, wait. I am a tour guide now? I knew it! You decided to treat me nicely because you need something from me!" I hissed. I can't believe this guy!

"Well. . .it's just if you're not too busy. . .I can't really peal my friend off that screaming girl yesterday. He was pratically glued to her. Our class ends at two, right?"

"Seriously, you sound like I can't say no." Pfft. He's such an arrogant moron! "Mr. Lee, first of all, I am not your slave. Second of all, I have life beyond this school and lastly, puppy dog eyes doesn't work for me." I gave him a fake smile before focusing my sight on the board before me.

"But I am willing to pay you. Just until I can get used around here. Please? I don't know anyone." There's this hint of desperation in his voice that made me look at him again. I can say that he didn't like that he was so helpless but he had no choice. Then my eyes widened when what he said finally registered. He's willing to pay me? Mischief took over the best of me and I grinned.

"A thousand per hour." I raised my chin up, trying to keep a straight face. I just knew he won't buy it.

"Call." Now, no cameras please. I knew I look stupid, gaping at him. He's willing to give me a thousand for every freakin' hour? I nearly fell of my chair.

"W-What? Are you serious?" I croaked, wanting to feel him lest he was sick. Sick in the head maybe? Not even the professional tour guides would require that much!

"I am. Were you not?" He blinked. Oh no! He really was! I panicked silently. I can't go chicken now, can I? But this was wrong! It's practically extortion.

"B-But there are a lot of peo--"

"Aren't you true to your words?" He sighed deeply, visibly annoyed. But who would have thought he'll take the bait? It wasn't my fault that he's too easy to fool!

"Alright. But not today. I have to do something. And take a damn cab on your way home, please." I begged. I can't be going out of my way (literally and figuratively) everyday just to send him home! I am so totally not that good.

"Yeah. I did take one on my way here. It was much easier than driving around." He laughed.

"Glad you figured it out." I said dryly. But how would I like to get my hands on that Camaro again! It was Bumblebee in flesh--err, metals, I should say. Oh well, maybe he can afford to be paying me that much. And hey, he insisted, okay? So stop looking at me like I am robbing him or something. Geez Gem, it's not as if everybody's staring!

"Teach me how to take public transport too, yeah?" He looked at me expectantly. He looked like a kid asking for another slice of chocolate cake. I let out a puff of air before nodding.

"You're an absolute pain in the neck."

***************************************************************************************

A/N: It's been so long. Comments, anyone?