7426

Grim Goodbye
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The three of them are staring at the letter without saying a word.


“Hyung,” the youngest finally breathes. “He didn’t, right?” Seungri closes his eyes as he shakes his head in the hope he’ll be able to shake that thought out of it. At that exact moment, Jiyong’s phone rings. He accepts the call with nothing more than a simple hum.


“He’s out of the ER, it looks like he’ll be fine,” the voice says. Jiyong nods once before ending the call. Both Youngbae and Seungri look at him in anticipation. The leader then folds the letter and slides it back into the envelope. Next, he slowly gets up and heads towards the information desk, while the other two follow him quietly.


“Choi Seunghyun. He just got in.” Those six words are the first he’s spoken since Daesung’s left the house about one month ago.


“Ah, the jumper,” the woman says completely tactless without even looking up from her screen. “7426.” They then move back to silence while they enter the lift. They’re still silent when arriving at the floor, and upon reaching 7426.


“Should we knock?” Seungri tries. When Jiyong doesn’t reply, he looks at Youngbae, who simply shrugs. He still speaks, he just doesn’t seem to care about things anymore. The youngest sighs at the thought he’s apparently the only sane guy left in the group, if there’s still a group left after all of this, that is. He extends his arm in order to knock on the door, but Jiyong suddenly pushes Seungri out of the way, kicks the door open, and storms in, immediately heading for the motionless figure on the bed.


“This,” Jiyong bites while pointing at the letter. “Have you completely lost it?” He grits his teeth as he fumbles up the letter into a ball and angrily aims it at the elder’s head. “Idiot! If Daesung would’ve seen this, he –”


“He hasn’t, though.” Seunghyun’s opened his eyes ever since the paper ball hit him, “and he obviously won’t, either,” he continues bitterly, refusing to meet anyone’s gaze.


The three of them are staring at him without saying a word.


Once Jiyong’s calmed down a bit, he goes back to not talking again. Slowly, he lowers himself into a chair, pulls his legs up close to his chest, and hugs them. Youngbae takes a couple steps back until he reaches the wall. He nonchalantly leans against it with his back, and crosses his arms. Seungri walks towards the window, and looks outside. If only Daesung was here. As quiet as possible, he lifts his arm and wipes his eyes so no one notices the tears that have formed. When he turns around, he sees that Seunghyun is looking at him. Seungri immediately feels uncomfortable, and just when he wants to look away, the other starts talking.


“I hate you. Why don’t you just disappear.” His deep voice reverberates through the cold room.


“W–What?” Seungri stammers, not quite sure what he did wrong.


“Those were the last words I said to him.” Seunghyun then looks to his side in order to avoid any possible eye contact. For a moment, no one says anything. Even though Jiyong has a lot he wants to say, he doesn’t speak. Even though Youngbae feels his hyung’s pain in his heart, he acts like he doesn’t care. Even though Seungri wants to be reasonable, he can’t help but feel angry.


“You’re saying the last words Daesung’s heard before he left where that you hate him?” Seungri’s eyes are filling up to the brim with tears again. “You’re saying that the last feeling he’s had was the feeling of not being loved?” There’s anger welling up inside and he feels like kicking something, breaking something. Anything that can relieve the sudden ache he feels razing through his chest. His hands shoot to his heart and he can’t seem to breathe. The tears he’s been holding back for over a month, freely start flowing out now. He’s not sure where the anger comes from, and he’s not sure where the sadness comes from. It doesn’t make sense since he’s been able to stay calm all this time, so why not now? All he knows, is that he can’t seem to stop crying.


Suddenly, he feels a warm hand on his shoulder. When Seungri looks up, he notices Youngbae has finally dropped his careless façade as he pulls the maknae in for a hug.


“It’s about time,” Youngbae tries to calm him. “I’ve been wondering how long you were going to keep it all in.” He rubs circles over the younger’s back until the loud crying has faded into quiet sobbing, and then Jiyong takes over. He pulls one arm over Seungri’s shoulder while pulling his head onto his own.


“We’ve been relying on you a bit too much, haven’t we?” He leans in closer and softly whispers: “From now on, let’s all rely on each other.”


From the corner of his eyes, Seunghyun silently watches them. 


 

 


The night is filled with silence. Not the same kind of silence there was before, no. This silence is peaceful.


Seungri’s fallen asleep in Jiyong’s arms. Jiyong’s fallen asleep while resting his head on Youngbae’s shoulder, and Youngbae’s fallen asleep with his head lying on his friend’s. They’re all asleep, except for Seunghyun. He can’t sleep, his eyes are focused on the night’s sky, and if you’d look closely, you can see a hint of a smile in the left corner of his lips.


“Daesungie,” he whispers. “Can you hear me?” He carefully pulls himself up a bit.


“I guess you never read my letter. That’s good. It wasn’t a good letter anyway. But if you’re curious, there are only seven words you need to know.” He raises his arm and stretches it until his fingers clasp around the rubber tube connected to the machine that’s helping him breathe, and two more that are linked to bags filled with fluids.


“I love you.” That small hint spreads out to the rest of his lips until they form a genuine smile as he strongly pulls the tubes.


“Let’s be together again.”


A monotone beeping sound fills the entire room, cutting though the serene peace, slowly waking up the boys. When they realize what’s going on, they quickly jump up and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter