Final

A Consequence

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun hates Kai, because he used his power as a senior to intimidate him. He shakes his head for so many times, trying to forget what happened at the school’s rooftop this afternoon. Deep down his heart, he is insecure. He is afraid that she will befriend him, he is afraid she will eventually fall in love with Kai, not with him. The thoughts get wiped away as he shifts his gaze at her, staring at those beautifully made eyes. I will protect you.

 

The college life has confiscated his time. Because he is pretty active at whatever activities held at the college, he has no time left for his best friend. Now he is worry, whether Suzy is annoyed by Kai’s messages or not. He really wants to know.

 

When they finally make time to meet, she still looks cute and lovely as always. So he hangs his hope high up in the sky, considering she doesn’t bring up the complaints about Kai being so diluted into her life. He is happy, that the cupid is still on his side, getting ready to release the arrow. The night filled with laughs and bickers, as there’s also love tucked into every move they make, but that is too invisible for them to see.

 

 

 

The biggest fear Suzy has is that she will find another comfortable place other than Sehun. As the time for them to talk gets rarer, Sehun gets so occupied by his assignments and on the other hand, Suzy, who is feeling lonely, finds a new place to rest his head. Kai is the name, and the closer they grow, the more she is feeling pleasant. She knows she is at wrong, but she is the forgotten.

Kai is not as annoying as everyone portray him to be. He is actually pretty nice, and he has the thing she needs the most when she is feeling lonely, he has time. The time she doesn’t get often from Sehun, that Kai offers. Kai is always there, listens to every word she says, and saves every story she tells. Somehow, she feels grateful that Kai makes an appearance. Somehow, she feels blessed that Kai is there whenever she needs.

Suzy shakes her head, she sounds so selfish. But she is tired of waiting for him to reply a message when in the end he replies the text with only an apology that he is unable to hear her stories, that there is still another time. But there’s no another time, she realizes. Because he is busy all the time, and gets busier the next day.

 

 

Then one day, Kai asks her out. She is hesitant at first, she wants to consult to Sehun, but his number can’t be reached. That night when she finally makes up a decision by herself for her own sake, she just nods. She gets dressed up nicely. When she hears a car parked in front of her house, she steps out. Everything will be alright after this, I will still love Sehun all the way after this, and I won’t let people take over, she vows in her mind before getting in the car.

 

“How is it?” as he points at her steak with his fork.

“It’s tasty. Thank you for bringing me into a fancy restaurant like this.” she sighs. “and I’m sure these dishes take a handful of money. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be! Don’t say anything like that!” he smiles. “I do this for you.”

“But really, thank you will never be enough.”

“Um you know, maybe another date confirmation is enough.” he smirks, sending her shivers down the spine.

“Well…” she clears . “Okay.”

 

The date is not awkward at all, she enjoys the every second of the time. Tonight she is beyond happy. Kai is an easy going type, and she likes it because he adapts to things easily. A smile graces her reddened face as she remembers how he treated her on the date. And she won’t turn down the next date offer from him, of course.

She goes gloomy instantly after checking her phone and recognizes the text she sent hours ago hasn’t gotten any respond yet. It cracks her heart a little. She is weary; she doesn’t want to get hurt continually. She wants to stop, for her sake, for her own goodness. Human does forget things, but not continuously.

 

They gradually grow further from each other. Sehun is still busy with his college and on the other hand, Suzy doesn’t want to try again, because she wants to stop. She doesn’t want to struggle alone, when the other one is enjoying his own business. That’s why she restrains herself to text him first. She just waits until something finally wakes him up with the reality of her moving her heart to another man.

She is tired, too tired to make him realize the thing happens now. There is this guy whom she really loves, but seems to ignore her. Then, there is that guy who is her savior from the boredom she feels and he loves her with all his heart and is always there for her, always provides a place for her to go mental breakdown. Suzy eventually chooses the second option, as she is blessed for being loved, and will try her best to return the love. There is also the reason behind every decision made, and her reason is she doesn’t want to get hurt, because the pain is enough already.

 

 

That one day when he gets home from a hectic day at work, he finds a crème envelope in the letter box. The names written on the envelope are Suzy and Kai. Curious, he opens the envelope and a clean shaped invitation graces his sight. A wedding invitation of the two. The invitation card slowly slips through his hand and falls off to the ground.

 

That is the day when he wakes up, when he finally opens his eyes. But everything is way too late to fix. There is nothing that can be repaired. His imagination was not like this, he thought he would have her, that he was the guy she would end up with. He was wrong this time because he is too blinded for work. Although he works for a better future with her, but still, he has been ignoring her not for days or weeks, but for years. And he just realizes now. I’m pathetic, this reality is pathetic. He wishes he could turn back the time, and be there for her. He is too engrossed and he admits that.

A vibrating sound breaks his reverie. He glances up at his phone only to find Suzy’s name on it. He doesn’t dare to pick up, because he is too afraid to cry and beg in front of her. He won’t let her hear the sounds of him crying his heart out. After a minute, the sound stops. He exhales a relief sigh. Not long after, a short vibrate can be heard. He takes his phone and reads the text sent from Suzy. She asks him to be the best man and as a best friend he is, he agrees. Slowly, his eyes get wetter as he feels droplets of tear dripping down one by one.

 

 

He watches his ticking wrist watch once again. The look on his face slowly changes as he realizes the time has come. The bride will come down the aisle, with a smile curving on her pink lips. He straightens up his body, tapping every invisible dust sticking on his tux. He smiles, he doesn’t feel anything but happiness. This is what’s called as consequence.

That time when the priest has them legal, he feels his heart breaking into pieces, scatters down the ground. That time when the smile is no longer for him, that time when he can no longer put his arms around her, that time when the kiss he’s been dreamt about is never been his. He wipes off the tears coming from his eyes slowly. Everyone will think of it as a happy demeanor, but they don’t know how much he is not willing to give Kai his Suzy.

He leers at them, watching every single move they do. He knows that will just break his heart more, but he can’t help but to stare. When he still has the chance to see her face, before she leaves him for her new life with him, he wants to take a last glance to the happy couple. The last kiss they share before entering the car makes him shudder. His imagination splatters as the car moving slowly to their honeymoon destination.

 

 

I deserve this for ignoring you for so long. Congratulations, I’m happy for you too.

Love, Sehun.