I Miss You

I Miss You

Hakyeon sighed, pushing himself off the queen-sized bed, walking into the bathroom. He picked up the blue laundry basket (Hakyeon had wanted it to be red, or at least black, but Taekwoon insisted on the blue one) and brought the half-full basket to the washing machine. As he loaded the clothes in one by one, he couldn’t’ help but sigh at the lack of his boyfriend’s clothes in the messy pile.

This is mine. This is mine too. Wow when did I even get this shirt?

It hadn’t been long since Taekwoon had left for that business trip to Singapore, but Hakyeon felt as if it had been a century. As if on cue, Taekwoon’s soft singing voice resonated throughout the empty apartment – it was the customised ringtone Hakyeon had set for his boyfriend. Hastily shoving the shirt he was currently holding into the washing machine, Hakyeon dashed for his phone and answered the call just before Taekwoon hung up. He always hangs up if it rings for more than thirty seconds.

“Yeobosaeyo?” Hakyeon eagerly answered.

“Hakyeon-ah,” Taekwoon called a small smile on his face. To say that he had missed Hakyeon would be a lie. Every waking moment, all he could think about was Hakyeon. He tried his best in his work, but sometimes he’d get caught for staring off into space, with a faint smile tugging at the corners of his lips as he thought about how the elder was doing back in Korea. He imagines Hakyeon moping at home all day, but also pestering the others to come over to temporarily occupy the empty apartment. He imagines how Hakyeon would hug the lion soft toy that Taekwoon had bought for the former’s birthday. His smile would widen when Hakyeon decided to name the plush toy Leo, and treated it as if it was his child.

“Taekwoonie,” Hakyeon breathed out. He didn’t need Taekwoon to talk, since he always knew what Taekwoon wanted to say. “I miss you baby.”

“I miss you too, Yeonnie,” Taekwoon replied quietly. Hakyeon could hear soft ruffling in the background, probably from how Taekwoon was trying to make himself comfortable on the bed. But of course, it was never possible, since Hakyeon wasn’t there beside him to cuddle. “Singapore’s really nice; I wish you could be here with me.”

Hakyeon sighed, not wanting to start the conversation on how he should have tagged along with Taekwoon to Singapore. “You know I have to work Taekwoon,” Hakyeon began, “I can’t just happily disappear from work for a month. What would my boss say? He’d tell me that I’ll never have to come again! That’s what he’d say.”

It was now Taekwoon’s turn to sigh. “I know, Yeonnie. I just… I just wanted you here next to me when I go around Singapore during my free time,” Taekwoon explained, “You have no idea how beautiful the scenery is from my hotel.”

“It sounds like something more for Hongbin rather than me, baby. I’m not a photographer; I probably won’t take any pictures of the scenery.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of us taking selcas together, with the sunset as the background. Think about it, when was the last time we sat together enjoying the sunset?”

Hakyeon sighed. It had been such a long time since the couple had time for each other, just to hang out and act all couple-y, ignoring the glares sent their way from passers-by. Ever since Taekwoon was promoted, and Hakyeon had finally found a stable job, the two of them spent more time caring for their careers than one another. Truth be told, Hakyeon was scared.

Extremely scared.

He misses the times were they would be home around late evening, and after a quick dinner and bath, they’d be able to happily cuddle in bed. No words needed; just each others’ presence. He was afraid that this would never happen again. After all, they needed money. No one was going to support them. Hakyeon couldn’t imagine what it would be like if he and Taekwoon stopped acting all lovey-dovey. Not that they were touchy in the first place, though. Hakyeon was scared that Taekwoon would finally realise how much he had given up for Hakyeon and that the younger would leave him and live the life he originally wanted. No matter how many times Taekwoon had reassured Hakyeon that it would never happen, Hakyeon couldn’t help but let his imaginations wonder.

“Yeoonie? Are you still there?” Taekwoon called from the other line, worried at the lack of response.

“Huh?” Hakyeon flinched, “O-oh! Yeah, I’m still here. Wae?”

“Nothing. What were you thinking about?”

“I wasn’t thinking about anything, baby,” Liar liar pants on fire.

Taekwoon sighed, “I can tell when you’re lying, Yeon. Don’t try to fool me,” he began, “please tell me what you were thinking about.”

“It’s nothing important.”

“I don’t care. I love your voice, I’d gladly listen to any story you tell,” Taekwoon replied, hoping that this would coax the elder into telling him his troubles.

“It’s just that… Don’t you feel how we’ve drifted apart lately?” Hakyeon started hesitantly.

Hearing his lover’s cautious tone, Taekwoon propped himself up properly against the headboard.

“What do you mean?” He knew what it meant. But he wanted to hear what Hakyeon’s views were.

“Don’t you feel that we don’t really do the things that we used to do when we first started out anymore?” Hakyeon asked. “We don’t go on dates anymore, we barely even cuddle together. We’re all too busy with work and our lives. And I’m… I’m scared Taekwoon. I really am.”

Taekwoon let out a shaky breath. He could hear the slight wavers in Hakyeon’s voice from when the latter tried to keep his emotions in check and not bawl.

“Hakyeon,” he called softly, “Yeonnie. I don’t say this much, but you know that I love you, right? I know you’re scared, and I’ve noticed that we don’t spend much time together anymore. But no matter what, our love will never change, right? You’re still Cha Hakyeon, I’m still Jung Taekwoon. I’ll love you forever.”

This was definitely not something Taekwoon said every day. It was probably the first time Taekwoon had ever said this to Hakyeon. Hakyeon knew that Taekwoon loved him, but was just too shy to say it. Hearing this from him, even though they were miles away, brought a strained smile on his lips. He wanted to grin madly, but the fact that Taekwoon was so far away, and wouldn’t be able to see him made that smile falter.

“Arasso. Thank you, Taekwoonie. And I think it’s late. I’d better hang up. I love you,” Hakyeon replied.

“Get some sleep, ohkay? Don’t stress yourself out too much.”

“I won’t. Goodnight baby.”

“Goodnight Yeonnie.”

Hakyeon squinted, cursing at how bright his surroundings were. Bringing his hand up to shield his eyes, he sat up and waited for his eyes to get used to the brightness. Once his eyes no longer hurt, Hakyeon looked around him. Nothing. It was just a big, barren white space. What’s going on? As if someone read his thoughts, an image visualised in front of him. What’s that? The image started out blurry, but as time passed, it started to focus better and Hakyeon could make out two people standing at what he presumed was a balcony. Upon closer inspection, he realised that one of them was Taekwoon. And the other, some man that he was sure he’d never seen in his life.

“Taekwoon?” Hakyeon called out, trying to reach forward to tap his lover’s shoulder. However, his hand not only went through the hologram, but Taekwoon didn’t even respond to him. “What’s this?”

“Quiet,” a dark, menacing voice ordered. Hakyeon frantically looked around, trying to figure out the source of the voice.

“W-Who are you?” Hakyeon stammered, brown eyes still flitting around the room, if that’s what you could call his current location.

“That’s not important. Pay attention to the screen,” the voice replied, followed by a sinister chuckle.

Hakyeon was terrified, but decided to listen to what he was told. Like an obedient puppy, Hakyeon instantly kept his mouth shut and glued his eyes onto the hologram.

“Taekwoonie~” The unknown man called. Hakyeon unconsciously scowled at the tone used. It sounded exactly like how a high school girl would use when trying to flirt.

“Yes, dear?” Came Taekwoon’s unexpected reply. Dear? Hakyeon’s mind echoed. He doesn’t call anyone dear! He doesn’t give anyone pet names except me!

“Taekwoonie, you know that I love you, right?” Hakyeon’s breath hitched. Please don’t reply him, please. He pleaded silently (and uselessly).

“Of course dear and I love you too,” Taekwoon looked in Hakyeon’s direction and smirked, as if he knew that the latter was watching.

“But what about your boyfriend back in Korea?” The irritating (in Hakyeon’s opinion) man asked.

“You mean…” Taekwoon paused, spacing out a little, as if trying to recall something. “Hak… Hakyeon? He means nothing to me dear, I love you the most,” hearing those words come out of Taekwoon’s mouth tore Hakyeon’s heart into pieces.

This isn’t true! This isn’t true! I’m dreaming! I’m dreaming! Hakyeon shouted in his head. He ignored the warm tears that streamed down his cheek and rapidly pinched himself, trying to prove to himself that it’s a dream. But he was still there. When his vision became better, he was Taekwoon leaning closer and closer towards the unknown male, as if wanting to kiss him.

“That guy back in Korea means nothing to me. I love you, dear,” the more Taekwoon talked the more Hakyeon’s heart shattered.

“This isn’t true!” Hakyeon cried! Covering his ears and shaking his head.

“Oh, this is true. Very true,” that creepy voice had returned. Hakyeon felt his head being involuntarily lifted up, and was forced to look at the screen as Taekwoon engaged in a passionate kiss with the still unknown man. 

“This isn’t true!” Hakyeon exclaimed, bolting up from the bed. Looking around, his erratic breathing slowed to a more normal pace as he realised that he was still in his room. His and Taekwoon’s room, rather. Hakyeon’s gaze moved down to the bed, and realised how messy the blankets were. The spot his slept on was currently drenched in cold sweat, and the cool beads were still dripping off Hakyeon’s neck and forehead.

“That… That was a dream, wasn’t it?” Hakyeon asked to no one in particular.

When he got no reply, Hakyeon reminded himself again, “it was a dream. It was a dream. A nightmare.”

Forcing himself to lay back down on the bed, he scooted over to Taekwoon’s side of the bed and took a deep breath. It still smelt like Taekwoon – the man’s favourite cologne, and the lemony soap that the lovers shared. Once again, Hakyeon’s eyelids drooped close.

“Looky here, someone decided to return, didn’t he?” The same voice taunted Hakyeon.

“What do you want? Who are you?” Hakyeon demanded.

“Oh, just the guy that owns Taekwoon’s heart,” the voice chuckled.

“But I own Taekwoon’s heart! Taekwoon’s mine!” Hakyeon yelled.

“But I own Taekwoon’s heart! Taekwoon’s mine!” The voice mocked. “Should I remind you who I am?” It asked evilly.

Before Hakyeon could even reply, the scene of Taekwoon kissing the unknown man materialised in front of him. This time, no matter how much Hakyeon tried to block out the noise and how tight he screwed his eyes shut, the image stayed. The sound wasn’t muffled by Hakyeon’s hands over his ears, and closing his eyes only made the image brighter. 

“Taekwoon’s mine!” Once again, Hakyeon jolted awake from his sleep. With tears still streaming down his face, Hakyeon shakily picked up the phone and dialled the number he had memorised ages ago. He didn’t care if it would raise the phone bill – he needed to talk to Taekwoon.

“Hello?” A groggy voice answered after three consecutive calls.

“Taek… Taekwoon,” Hakyeon whimpered.

Taekwoon’s sleepiness immediately vanished the moment his lover’s broken voice reached his ears. Scrambling to sit up, Taekwoon asked, “what’s wrong, Yeonnie? What happened?”

“Taekwoon, I love you, you know that right?”

“Of course, Yeonnie. And I do too. What happened? Please don’t scare me.”

“Don’t lie!”

“What?” Taekwoon cocked his head to the side. Why would he ever lie about his feelings towards the elder?

“I… I had a n-nightmare, baby,” Hakyeon stuttered. “I dreamt that you didn’t love me at all! That you have someone else,” he explained.

“I would never do that to you, Hakyeon!” Taekwoon’s sudden outburst had shocked Hakyeon a little, causing him to slightly jump on the bed. Realising that his voice was louder than necessary, Taekwoon continued, much softer this time, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to shout. But you know that I love you, right? I don’t say it much, Yeonnie, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love you. Please remember that.”

“I know baby… But it’s just… The dream; it felt so real.”

“Dreams are meant to seem real, Yeon. Please don’t worry too much, alright?” Taekwoon tried comforting the elder even though he wasn’t too calm himself. He was hurt at how Hakyeon doubted him. Did the past few years they spent together mean nothing to them? Why couldn’t Hakyeon trust him?

“I know. I’m sorry baby. I didn’t mean to doubt you,” Hakyeon replied as if he had heard every single one of Taekwoon’s thoughts. “I was just… scared. It seemed too real not to be true. I’m sorry, please don’t be mad,”

“I’m not mad, Yeon,” Taekwoon smiled. “You should sleep, it’s late. I’ll see you when I get home soon, ohkay?”

“Mm,” Hakyeon hummed. “Goodnight. I miss you baby,”

“Miss you too,”

After Hakyeon put the phone down, he made himself comfortable on his bed again and lay down, this time sprawling all over the queen-sized bed instead of just keeping to his side. Slowly, he fell into a peaceful dreamless sleep.

Taekwoon, on the other hand, continued to rest against the headboard, fingers running through his already messy bed head. Reaching over to his right, he picked up an A5-sized red photo frame that encased the most recent picture he and Hakyeon had taken together – a cliché date at Hangang about a year or two ago. He never told Hakyeon about the existence of the picture nor the frame. Taekwoon had specially chosen a frame in Hakyeon’s favourite colour, and personally decorated it. He was intending to give it to Hakyeon as a Christmas gift, but he couldn’t wait to see it on display, and hence always placed it in his hotel room whenever he went overseas.

Gently caressing Hakyeon’s face on the photo (and ignoring how creepy he looked at that time), Taekwoon sighed, “Cha. Hak. Yeon. Bo. Go. Ship. Peo.” 


Yo! I'm done! Hehe. How is this? :P I think it was really random though.. And that I went out of point alot of times.... >< I need to start to learn how to focus on one thing while writing ):