1

The Switch

The Switch

Of lifetimes and choices

 

 

"I will do it."

 

Baekhyun was never this surer. Ultimately, this is what he wanted. For the longest time, he had been thinking; he had been pondering and he is not satisfied with 'what ifs' or 'will this be' because he was sure.

 

"I want this."

 

"This is what I want. No matter how many lifetimes, Chanyeol is all I want."

 

The sun glistened the soft grasses giving them sparks and making them glow. Baekhyun never begged but he found himself wishing and wanting. He was ready to sacrifice everything.

 

“This is what I want. I longed for this for thousands of years.”

 

He continued to repeat the sentences not for anybody but for himself.

 

He was never firmer in his decision. He knew from the start what he wanted and he waited for years thinking he could still somehow prevent his feelings of longing and wanting. But after so long; his feelings, instead of diminishing; only grew by time.

 

“I want him. Only him.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

In the year 2012

 

 

Chanyeol has 10 days to live.

 

 

Chanyeol doesn't know;  but Baekhyun knows.

 

Chanyeol is not sick. Chanyeol doesn't have an incurable disease. Chanyeol doesn't have a cancer. But he has 10 days to live. It is decided. It is his fate.

 

Chanyeol will die in a car crash. Chanyeol will die protecting the man he loved.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun is a god.  

 

People are unaware but gods exist in the universe. Gods are unseen. They are not guardian angels but they guard humans and they report to their main boss, the big guy. Gods make sure that the humans fulfill their purpose on earth. They have to keep the humans in line with their fate; to guarantee that the humans fulfill their destiny.

 

 

Baekhyun has been Chanyeol's guide for 6 lifetimes already.

He had been looking out for Chanyeol ever since Chanyeol started his lifetime.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

For Baekhyun, Chanyeol was another human being assigned to him. He was used to his work, doing this for countless times; endless years.

 

So when he went to the gate, the connecting route to his world and the humans, to see if the new human assigned to him was already born, he was not feeling anything. Just a normal occurrence, just a casual meeting.

 

As Baekhyun slowly passed by the gate, a light emerged from the outside signaling that a new human being has been born and will be assigned to his care.

 

Gods are powerful.

 

But they have limitations.

 

Humans are free to feel anything. Gods can’t alter feelings; but they have to make sure humans fulfill their purpose.

 

Most of the time, every human being’s purpose is to find the one.

 

 

 

Baekhyun was there when Chanyeol had been first born as a human. Baekhyun first felt the warmness in his heart. He was confused for this was the first time happening; he never felt something warm in his heart among all of the human beings he was assigned to.

 

Disregarding it, Baekhyun continued to do his job.

 

When Chanyeol started his lifetime, he became a soldier and he was destined to die in the third war he will be assigned to fight.

 

Chanyeol was an orphan, because of the war, he had been frequently transferred from one caring home to the other. Chanyeol met friends, the faster he became friends with them, the faster they will be gone –either dead or evacuated to another town. Nothing was permanent, Chanyeol had believed but when he reached the age of 20, one thing was eternal for him; he met his soulmate.

 

Two years have passed, Chanyeol was not chosen to take part in the war but he listed himself in exchange for the person he loved.

 

Baekhyun was looking out for Chanyeol and he saw what the guy did. Baekhyun was fascinated that a person would sacrifice everything for someone. That was the first time Baekhyun felt his liking towards Chanyeol.

 

Baekhyun thought as he saw Chanyeol that the guy wouldn't be able to survive the first war so he had to make sure, Chanyeol would not die. It was job after all. Because Chanyeol's lifetime was decided to end at the third war and Baekhyun must make it happen; again, it was his job after all. Chanyeol was not married but he has a lover. A lover waiting for him; he was Chanyeol's soulmate.

 

The first war ended. Chanyeol survived.

The second war ended. Chanyeol survived.

 

The third war started, Chanyeol served his purpose by saving the captain's life.

Baekhyun made sure Chanyeol died after.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Baekhyun was never fascinated in human beings. He was tasked to guard several humans before Chanyeol but this was the first time Baekhyun felt a connection. Though, he decided to ignore it and focus on his job.

 

The second lifetime, Chanyeol was reborn after 20 years and he became a doctor.

 

He specialized in heart surgeries. He was destined to die at the age of 46. Baekhyun had been there guiding him ever since Chanyeol was kid. Baekhyun knew how many scars Chanyeol have; how many times Chanyeol cried; how many failing grades Chanyeol had back in grade school, high school and college, including medical school. As a God, Baekhyun doesn’t necessarily needed to guard Chanyeol every step of the way because Baekhyun's job was just to correct things that goes wrong along their destined path. He doesn’t need to watch over them but he did because he wanted too even though he doesn’t know why.

 

Chanyeol was a good doctor. Whenever patients who can't afford the prices of the medicines he would prescribe; he would purposely not bill the patients.

 

Baekhyun was truly fascinated.

 

When Chanyeol was 30, a guy walked into his clinic and Baekhyun swore Cahnyeol's eyes had the same glow when he met his soulmate during his first lifetime.

 

Baekhyun felt something warm in his heart. A different kind of warmness from the first one.

 

Chanyeol would always buy flowers for his lover. Again, Chanyeol met his soulmate.

 

Chanyeol died at the age of 46. He served his purpose, he succeeded to make the first ever heart transplant operation.

 

 

 

***

 

Baekhyun waited 150 years before Chanyeol had his third lifetime.

 

"Finally!" Baekhyun cheered as Chanyeol was reborn again.

 

"Baekhyun, you're getting too attached." Kris knew something was happening; he had been friends with Baekhyun for as long as he can remember; they have seen each other countless lifetimes; guided countless humans; shared limitless experiences and Kris knew Baekhyun was changing. He feared it.

 

"I'm just doing my job." Biting his lip, Baekhyun fought hard to defend his understanding; not wanting to grasp the realization forming in his mind. "Just doing my job." He repeated not for Kris but for himself.

 

Baekhyun knew when Chanyeol was reborn but he won't see the guy for too long. It upset Baekhyun more than he imagined. Baekhyun can't undo his destiny; the only thing he can do was fulfill his job.

 

But Chanyeol was destined to die at the age of 10.

 

Baekhyun treasured the ten years he spent with Chanyeol. The same smile, the same toothless smile; the wide grin, the large eyes. Baekhyun was happy for ten years but Chanyeol served his purpose.

 

Chanyeol was 10 years old. He met his soulmate at the age of 9 but his soulmate died of malaria.

Chanyeol died afterwards.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

 

"It has been 227 years." Kris greeted Baekhyun with a grinning face.

 

Kris was answered by a punch in the face.

 

"You know, no matter how many times you punch me; I won't feel anything." Kris laughed at his own joke but Baekhyun kept a stern face.

 

"I don't have time for your jokes Kris."

 

"You don't have time for anything." Kris snapped.

Before Baekhyun was assigned to Chanyeol; Baekhyun had been an adventurer, seeking for answers; learning about the world but it changed drastically. Baekhyun just waited. He remained in his world to wait for the time Chanyeol will be reborn again.

 

"Kris. I..."

 

"Save it. Because you might want to go to the gate, or you'll miss it." A soft smile was all Kris could ever muster.

 

Baekhyun's eyes lightened in an instant; the spark returned.

 

"Chanyeol."

 

Baekhyun hurriedly went to the passage and truly, Chanyeol will be reborn.

 

Baekhyun was never happier.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Chanyeol became a music teacher.

 

Baekhyun started listening to music. He would purposely be there by Chanyeol’s side just watching him. When Chanyeol was five years old, the kid started playing the piano. It was the most heavenly sound Baekhyun heard.

 

At the age of ten, Chanyeol started learning the basics of the guitar. Baekhyun was more than happy.

 

Chanyeol entered high school and met someone. Chanyeol had his first kiss, Baekhyun felt something in his heart – almost like a pain. He ignored it just like the ones in the past lifetime.

 

Chanyeol started going to college. He lived a good life and decided to offer his life for music.

 

It was the third year of Chanyeol being a music teacher when a new professor was taken in into the university. Baekhyun feared it. Every lifetime, Baekhyun feared the sparks in Chanyeol’s eyes. Baekhyun dreaded the time he will see the light in Chanyeol’s eyes, the smile in Chanyeol’s lips, and the happiness Chanyeol emits whenever Chanyeol’s soulmate would come into picture.

 

Sometimes, Baekhyun would wish he can change feelings but he can’t. Gods have limitations. He could never change anyone’s feelings. He just needed to do his job and his job doesn’t include changing feelings – or falling in love.

 

 

 

***

 

Baekhyun waited for another 20 years until Chanyeol was reborn again.

 

Baekhyun was at bliss, “Kris, I’m going now. See you later.”

 

Baekhyun felt his hand being grabbed.

 

“Baekhyun, you don’t need to go. Your job is just to make sure he’s in the right track and as of now, he is. Your job is just making sure he serves his purpose and he dies after, not keeping track of him.” Kris’s voice was stern and frim.

 

Kris felt soft hands untangling from him.

 

“I’m going Kris.”

 

Kris was left standing in front of the gate.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun realized that he was in love with Chanyeol after 5 lifetimes.

 

 

 

***

 

 

Gods are forbidden to show themselves to human beings. If they do; they will lose their title as gods and will live as a human forever but one good thing about being a god is they have one chance to switch their fate but the consequence leads to them being immortal.

 

Baekhyun decided he will use the switch.

 

"It's the only way." Baekhyun was firm in his decision.

 

"Baekhyun, you can't. You will lose everything."

 

"This is the only way Kris. This is the only way I can be with Chanyeol."

 

"But Baekhyun. Chanyeol will not..."

 

"Stop! I am doing this Kris. My decision is final, you can't talk me out of it. I am prepared."

 

"Please Baek."

 

"I'm sorry, Kris."

 

 

***

 

 

Baekhyun decided.

 

"I don't want to be a god anymore."

 

 

 

***

 

Baekhyun woke up with a heavy feeling inside his chest.

With fear building in him; heart hammering against his chest, he slowly opened his eyes.

 

The sun glistened a striking shade of yellow as it brings sparks to the green colored grass. Baekyun woke up and his wish came true.

 

"I'm a human." The words seemed so perfect. Passersby would give strange looks to Baekhyun but the boy didn’t mind for his only wish just came true.

 

 

So Baekhyun screamed.

 

"I'm a HUMAN!"

 

 

 

 

"Of course you are." Chuckling, a man commented which made Baekhyun shivered from his spot.

 

A very familiar voice echoed in Baekhyun’s head; he had memorized it and carved into his memory.

 

“Are you drunk or something?” The guy asked again. Baekhyun was too stunned to utter a word. He just looked into the guy’s eyes, his own almost popping out of their sockets.

 

“I’m the drunken one here, you know.” The man uttered again. “well never mind.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m Chanyeol. You are?”

 

 

 

Baekhyun was almost in tears because Chanyeol can see him. Chanyeol talked to him. He’s a human. He can be with Chanyeol.

 

 

 

But Baekhyun remembered, it was Chanyeol’s sixth lifetime and he already knew Chanyeol’s fate.

 

 

Chanyeol already served his purpose in this lifetime. And after that, Chanyeol only has ten days to live. Baekhyun recalled his memory.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today was the 8th day.

 

 

 

 

 


a/n

This is my first time writing with this AU. TTTTTT
Sorry for the typos, I typed using the tablet. Orz

And this will be a three shot I guess. I might update chap later tonight.

Thanks for reading :D

 

@_krisbaek  @_krisbaekyeol