Chapter One; UGLY AND UNLUCKY

•••Straight Ahead•••

"Come on, Suzy! Hurry up, I wanna get there before he does..." I took my friend's arm and dragged her towards where the lockers were. Today was the first day of school since the holidays and like what I have been doing for the last 2 years I was going to place this letter on Baekhyun's locker. And no, it's not a confession letter, it's more of a... How do I explain this? Well, though it may sound weird or even creepy, I've been writing him love letters about how I felt about him, how I've been crushing on him, to be more specific, for the last 6 years of my life.

 

Well now if you put it that way it does sound like a creepy weird confession.... But I swear it's not. 1 because a confession requires for someone to actually straight up tell their crush what they feel, I do it the ninja way without him even noticing that I like him. 2 it's not creepy because creepy is when most of his fangirls stay outside his house just to "see if he's okay" when clearly all they want is to be noticed by him. Yes, that's what creepy is in my dictionary, what I do does not fit the description of creepy. Lastly, this so not weird at all, what's weird is when he finds out it was me who had been writing those since we're pretty close and if anything he sees me more like a sister. Oh well, not that he actually reads them... 

 

Sad.

 

I know, my life's just one sad bull lying there on the ground waiting for someone to step on it to make it even sadder.

 

But I can't help it, I'm a 16 year old fugly loser. Now I know most of you are already sick of those "ohh I'm so ugly but tons of guys fall for me anyway because I'm actually really cute" stories.

But my story is not one of them. 

 

When I say I'm an ugly loser, I really am. First of all, nobody has ever told me I was pretty or anywhere near cute, not even my parents, and I'm not one to fish for any compliments here. I'm literally ugly head-to-toe, side-to-side, back-and-front. No matter where you look, it screams ugly. I had gigantic glasses with me because I'm literally blind without them, I had braces on that did not help in making me look cute even just a tad bit, pimples everywhere 'cause they decided my face would be their homeland, my hair was nowhere near healthy if anything it looked dirty and uncombed all the time, I'm not really that fat but neither was I skinny I'm actually flabby, when it came down to fashion I had a good taste but not even a gorgeous Versace coat or a lovely Gucci bag could save my look. 

 

It has always been a wonder to everyone how I ended up like that, since my mother was a former beauty queen turned house wife of a former male model turned politician slash business tycoon. You'd think that if I did not get any good gene from my parents then my dad's money could've at least made me somewhere near presentable but no. My parents always believed that their only daughter was just a late bloomer and there was no need for any plastic surgery since everyone in the family was gorgeous and I was not adopted they say, nobody buys it though not even me.

My five brothers including the Thai adopted one were literally beautiful males. It's almost like God took all His time perfecting the rest of my family that when He got to me He was already too tired and just went "Meh..".

 

If you still don't' believe me well... Hear this one out:

 

Once back in six grade, you know where all them cool kids are mean for no reason, this time they had a reason; I was too ugly. They had to poke me with a stick to wake me up when I almost drowned during our swimming lessons. Our instructor went to get some help so she instructed the other kids to look after me while she was gone. Nobody wanted to go near me, can't blame them, I must've looked like an unknown sea creature that ended up on the shores because the sea vomited it out too. They all took out their rulers some even had sticks with them, don't ask even I don't know, and so they started poking me just to check if I was still alive. After that one incident, everyone thought it was so funny, so whenever I was around they would poke me with sticks and ask what planet I came from.

It hurt me to be bullied like that, but I had no complaints since I had one friend with me who always cheered me up. That was Baekhyun, he was a cute adorable kid whom everyone fancied, so even the teachers wondered why he stuck around me so much. His only reason was he was comfortable around me, that and we were neighbors.....

 

 

"Dabin, seriously, you're doing this again?" Suzy sighed while I made sure no one was around to see me place the letter on his locker. "Yes," I reply while I walked away as fast as I could from Baekhyun's locker before the halls become crowded with students. "You know this is pointless right? It's not like he reads them, he gets 10 confessions in a day to say the least. What makes you think he'd actually appreaciate this one that you anonymously written on a pink stationary?" she says as she took larger steps to catch up on me since I was practically sprinting out of there.  "You know maybe if you actually straight up confessed to him your feelings, then maybe... Hey are you even listening to me?" she continues as we entered our still empty classroom. "No." I simply answered her while I made my way towards the desk which was on the far back of the classroom. An ugly person like me could and should not be seated in front where everyone could see me, I'm actually doing the class a favor.

 

Suzy then sat on the seat right in front of me. "Why not give it a chance? I mean you guys are pretty close, who knows maybe he secretly also has feelings for you!" she says as if she'd forgotten how I looked like. "Bae Suzy, I love you, but I think you're nuts." I commented while I took out my books. "Why the hell can you not just consider it?" she hits me lightly with the book I just took out. "Because of this!" I point to my face. "Come on, Dabin, you're not that bad! You're a nice person." she says to me. "Yeah but nice and ugly will never be good for someone who is nice and perfect. This conversation is over. I haven't confessed to him 6 years ago or last year and I'm not about to do it now or ever."  with that she pouts and lets the topic go. As if on cue, the other students started filling the classroom and seconds just before the bell rang Park Chanyeol entered the room running along with Baekhyun.

Great. My sworn enemy and the love of my life are together again.

I've never liked Chanyeol, he does nothing but tease me, as if I need more reminder about how unattractive I was, right? He was nothing but a mean guy, but everyone else sees him as a cool nice guy, including Baekhyun and specially Suzy. She had always had her eyes on him, but he never did notice her no matter how pretty she was. Well, it's because she never did made a move for him to notice her, she had always just loved Chanyeol from afar, and that's why I'm friends with such an attractive person, she gets me and I get her but most of the time she begs me to do the only thing we both can never do; confess.

 

"Good morning." Baekhyun greets Suzy and I with a lovely smile as he sat next to me. While all Chanyeol does is stare at me while he made his way to his seat next to Baekhyun.

"How was your holiday?" Baekhyun asks as soon as the teacher starts the lesson, you see once he gets bored with the lesson he just automatically stops caring and that's when he talks to me. "'twas okay. We went to the States to visit my brother, Jaejoong." I tell him in a hushed tone afraid of being sent to detention on the first day of school. "Oh right, I forgot he went for college there." he says out loud, with this the teacher stopped his lesson and gave Baekhyun a warning. Chanyeol just snickered at this, soon after the teacher turned to write something on the board the two were playfully throwing things at each other.

Small talk, that's all we ever have now as compared to when we were younger, ever since he became close to Chanyeol we barely had time to be around each other, but I was thankful for that otherwise he might find out I liked him. Still, the other girls were jealous of me, since Baekhyun barely pays them any attention.

Deciding that it was better to start paying attention to the lesson than watch Baekhyun throw a pencil case at Chanyeol's face, I turned to face our teacher. As soon as I faced him, his eyes went to me and he made a disgusted face but quickly hid it and cleared his throat as he pretends to read something from the book. Seriously? Am I really that bad? Oh yeah, I am. 

Soon enough the first period was done and everyone was packing their things to leave for the next class, which so happened to be Chemistry. Meaning, we were going to be assigned with new lab partners this semester again. And I was super worried because not only was I ugly, I was also unlucky. I always get partnered with Chanyeol and he just makes everything hell for me.

 

"Dabin go seat next to Chanyeol over there." says our lab teacher. See? Unlucky and ugly! "Help me..." I begged Suzy. She nodded and raised her hand up. "Yes, miss Bae?" "Ma'am,  can't miss Choi have a different partner this time, she always gets partnered with Chanyeol op-oppa..." she says shyly as she lowered her head. "Well then, miss Choi, go seat next to Mr. Byun over there, and miss Bae go seat next to Mr. Park instead. Now that the whole class is settled, please take out your text books and turn to page 45." says our teacher as she took out some experiment papers and handed them out to the class.

As I made my way to where Baekhyun was I saw Chanyeol looking pissed as hell. He must feel so bad about not being able to torture me this semester but I just brushed it off and turned away. It's not like I'll miss him. 

" Uhh... Just so you know, I'm bad when it comes to Chemistry." Baekhyun warns me as soon as I nervously sat next to him. Oh great, my luck still hasn't change. "I'm also bad in this subject," I tell him worriedly. "Actually I'm bad at all science related subjects." I added. We're both dead now.

"What?" he made a confused face. "But... You have glasses on....." he says quietly.

"Excuse me?"

"You're supposed to be smart, right?" he finally said loud enough for me to hear properly.

"Uhm... Did it not ever occur to you that I'm just a regular student and I just have big glasses on because I can't see properly without them and they do not necessarily make me smart?" that was the longest thing I have ever said to him without being interrupted by anyone or anything.

"Oh okay," was all he said as he took his phone out and started texting. The moment he received a reply he smiles to me and says "We're gonna be just fine." and by that he meant he was going to ask for help. The next thing I know Chanyeol was asking the other kids we were sharing our table with to exchange places with Suzy and him. "Looks like you're still  stuck with me," Chanyeol says as he sat in front of me, with that I literally wanted to drink the chemicals placed in front of me. He was actually the only reason why I passed all my other science subjects in the past but still, he was a mean little and the last thing I needed in life was him eyeing me like a prey.

 

UGLY AND UNLUCKY, THAT'S JUST ME.