Broken Wings

Broken Wings

An angel with broken wings is no longer an angel.

When an angel falls in love with a human,

he/she slowly loses his/her wings until there's nothing left

and then disappears in the thin air..

 

Joonmyun was a young guardian angel that was sent to earth to protect a human. He obeyed and went down to earth without asking any more questions about her. He believed he should find out about her on his own. On earth, he went by the name of Suho, which coincidentally meant guardian in korean and diguised as a high school student, he met the person he was supposed to protect: a girl named Park Chorong.

At first he didn't understand why he had been sent to protect her, when she seemed to be perfectly fine on her own. She apparently had the perfect life. She was an outgoing girl that had a lot of friends and she seemed to be very popular, although very shy. She seemed to be truly happy, but with time Joonmyun noticed there was more than met his eyes. Her smiles, her laughs, were all fake and those fake smiles and fake laughs were all part of a facade to cover up for who she truly was: a broken person.

It didn't take him long to realize the reason why she seemed to be so broken. Being the friendly person she was, she accepted him as her friend fastly, not knowing that he was actually there as her guardian angel. She didn't need to tell him anything -she never really spoke of her personal life actually- he found out for himself.

Her life was not what she wanted everyone else to believe. Her parents had divorced when she was little and her mom had remarried to a man with no heart, who used the little savings they had for drinks and gambling. Her mother didn't wanted to leave him though, either because she loved him too much or because she was afraid of him, Joonmyun never knew. The only person she had left and the only one she could rely on, her younger brother, grew tired of everything and left them to go to live with their dad. Now she had no one, except for her mom. And it almost seemed as if she wasn't there either. 

It was sad and Joonmyun believed she could have left as well, but he knew she loved her mother too much to leave her alone with that man. So, that was why she lived that life. She lived a life full of pain and suffering. Just because she was too good to leave her mother. 

He now understood the pain she was going through. He now understood why he had been sent to earth to be her guardian angel. His duty was more than just being a protector, his duty was to be a guide, a comforter, a friend, a healer. He was there to pick up her broken pieces and fix her. And thus, Joonmyun initiated his duty.

Everyday, he waited for her after classes, just to walk with her home. He would lean against the lockers, outside of her classroom, with a smile on his handsome face and he would smile even brighterwhen she walked out of her classroom. Even if he did that everyday, she got surprised everytime she saw him there waiting for her and everytime, her heart would skip a beat. 

"You don't really have to do this" she told him one day, after seeing how he was once again waiting for her outside his classroom after classes, like he did everyday. Joonmyun simply smiled as a response. 

"I want to" he simply said and she would faintly smile "That's what friends are for, right?"

Little did he know the effects those words had on her. She had a lot friends, at least that was what she thought, but she didn't really feel their sincerity when she was with them. With Joonmyun though, it was different. It was if he truly meant it when he said it, as if they were really friends. And somehow, that would make her heart feel warmer day by day.

Everyday, he would wait for her outside her house to walk with her to classes as well. He would start a conversation about random stuff and try to make jokes, making sure that he would put a smile on her face. Even if it was for a slight second, Joonmyun believed a smile could make her feel better. They would spend most of their time together. In class, during lunch, after school. Joonmyun didn't want to leave her for a single second. He wanted to let her know that she was not alone. He was only afraid that she would grow tired of him, but fortunately, that didn't happen. She actually enjoyed his company very much.

There were times when he truly felt that Chorong really wanted to open up to him and tell him about her life, but she always hesitated. He would reply with a sincere smile and tell her she could tell him anything and that he would never judge her. Chorong would only smile back, but would actually feel a lot better knowing that there was someone there for her. She actually didn't want to bother him with her problems, afraid that that would scare him away. But that didn't happen either. He actually enjoyed her company as well.

Chorong realized Joonmyun knew her secret one day when he walked home with her. Everything seemed to be as normal as it was everyday, until they arrived to her house. When they arrived, they could clearly hear people yelling and at each other from outside. Chorong was shocked about what was happening and didn't how to explain things to him. Her heart started beating faster and she closed her eyes tightly, trying hard to listen to anything they were saying. She was also afraid. Afraid that he would walk away from her life after knowing this part of it. 

"You don't have endure all this alone if you don't want to... I'm here for you" he said gently to her as he grabbed her hand suddenly. She looked at him shocked and somehow ashamed, but when she looked at him she only saw him smiling towards her. She was surprised by his words, but for the first time in a lot of time, she felt happy again. All her doubts finally vanished and she knew in that moment that he accepted her. 

Chorong didn't know why she did it, but she suddenly hugged him tightly in that moment. Joonmyun was shocked at first, but then a sweet smile appeared on his face as he hugged her back. He caressed her hair softly as she let out the tears she had been keeping inside for such a long time. It was a moment of bliss for both of them. Silence was not uncomfortable and they both wished that moment would never end.

Joonmyun didn't know, but Chorong grew very fond of him as time passed by. It was as if he became the missing part of her. He became what she needed the most, someone that would always be there for her no matter what. And slowly, those fake smiles turned into sincere smiles and those fake laughthers became actual giggles and chuckles. The broken girl was already beginning to be fixed and all thanks to him. Slowly, Park Chorong began to fall in love with Suho, not knowing he was actually Joonmyun, her guardian angel.

One fine day, Joonmyun discovered he was slowly losing his feathers. He didn't understand why though. At first, he thought his time on earth was already over and he wished with all his heart that he would be given more time. More time to be with Chorong. With that, he had realized he did not see this as his duty anymore. He did truly enjoy her company and he would look forward to seeing her everyday, because her presence would brighten up his day. And that was when he realized that the reason why his wings were slowly disappearing was not because he had to go back, it was because he had fallen in love with a human. He had fallen in love with Park Chorong and he knew the consequences of that very well.

He grew weaker everyday. The more time he spent with her, the deeper he fell for her. Her smile would brighten up his day and could make his heart skip faster, almost as if it wanted to come of his chest. Her laugh would make him want to laugh as well and could make him feel warm. Her soft and melodious voice could melt his heart any second. Everything about her, made him feel like a love sick teenager. But the more he fell for her, the weaker he got.

"Suho, you are a getting paler by day" she told him one day when he saw him like that, sounding really worried and he smiled like he always did, with the same gentle and sweet smile that had made her fall for him. 

"I'm fine, don't worry about me" he simply replied as he caressed her hair slightly, making her heart skip a beat. She smiled faintly and looked down. She didn't know why she suddenly felt a  terrible pain in the heart. She really wanted to believe that he was ok, but a part of her was telling her he was not and she was afraid. Afraid of losing him as well. And she did not want to allow herself to think about that.

Joonmyun knew the consequences of falling in love with human very well, but he didn't regret it. He never once regretted meeting Chorong and falling in love with her. If he could turn back time and do things all over again, he would allow himself to fall for her all over again. Because that made her happy. And that made him happy as well. She had changed his life completely, even if she didn't know it. She had filled an empty space in his heart.

But his wings were now broken, almost as broken as Chorong was when he first met her. He remembered someone saying that an angel with broken wings was no longer an angel. So he knew he didn't have much time left. He would eventually disappear and the only thing he regretted was having to leave her. Because he didn't want to. He didn't want to be the reason why she would grow sad again. He didn't want to leave her like everyone she loved did. But he had to embrace his destiny and he knew that very well.

Joonmyun was lying in bed that day, because he could merely move. He didn't have much feathers left and his body was completely weak. He no longer had much energy left in his body. He knew his time was almost over and he really wished Chorong wouldn't see him like that. However, he couldn't go to school that day and that was the reason why Chorong went to his apartment to visit him. 

Her heart broke into little pieces just by looking at him. He looked so weak and pale, almost as if the his light was already dying. Chorong couldn't bear to look at him in that state. It was too much handle. The mere idea of losing him was unbearable for her.

Tears rolled down her cheeks uncontrollably as she held his hand tightly, sitting on a chair next to his bed. Joonmyun had his eyes closed, but he soon opened them when he heard his beloved girl sobbing. When he opened his eyes, he smiled like he could and with his weak fingers, he wiped the tears from her cheeks softly, admiring her perfect features.

"Suho ah, why did you never tell me you were this sick?" she asked him hurt and the way her voice broke while she spoke, broke his heart completely. 'Sick'. That was a good way to explain what was happening to him. Because he was indeed, sick. Love sick to be more specific and there was no cure for his sickness. 

Chorong cried as she held his hand tightly. Her fears grew stronger as he watched the lifeless guy in front of her. Joonmyun didn't want to see her cry. He couldn't stand the idea of the reason why tears would fall of her beautiful eyes. He loved her smile too much and he only wanted to see her smiling. 

He didn't want to leave her. If he could make a wish that moment, he would wish to be human. Even if he lost his inmortality as a angel, he didn't care. All he wanted was to be able to be with her. But he knew that couldn't happen. Because he had already crossed the thin line when he fell in love with her and he had to pay the consequences.

Joonmyun knew he couldn't leave without telling her truth about his real self, so he finally decided to tell her. Chorong listened in shock as he told her he was a guardian angel and not a human and that he had been sent to earth to guide her. He also told her that he had eventually fallen in love with her when he shouldn't have. Tears fell from her eyes non stop as she heard his confession and she couldn't help but feel guilty of what was happening to him. If it wasn't for her, he wouldn't be disappearing from earth.

"It's all my fault" Chorong said as she felt a huge pain her heart. She couldn't breath. It was if the pain was all the air in the atmosphere. The mere idea of losing him was unbearable and knowing it was because of her, made it even worse.

"Don't cry Chorong... it's not your fault" he said with a weak voice, again wiping the tears that were uncontrollably falling from her eyes. He then smiled gently towards her "You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and I don't regret meeting you"

"You wouldn't have to leave if it wasn't because of me"

"Because of you I learned what it was to be in love" he said and smiled towards her "I'm thankful to you Park Chorong, because I've never been happier in my entire life. I would never regret meeting you and falling in love with you"

"This is not fair! Why do you have to leave?!" she said as she laid her head on his bed and sobbed heartbreakingly. He caressed her hair gently and smiled weakly, before raising her head so that she was facing him. He sat up on his bed and cupped her face gently, before wiping the tears from her face with his thumbs. He smiled once again, before leaning forward and planting a soft kiss on her lips. A goodbye kiss.

Chorong's heart beated faster, but a the same time, it broke a little. It was a goodbye and she knew that, but she didn't want to accept the reality. He was going to leave and there was nothing she could do about it. 

"I love you..." she whispered softly as they pulled away. 

"I love you too, Chorong" he said as he smiled. And with that, a white light suddenly appeared and the guardian angel vanished in the air. Chorong could only watch in shock as her loved one disappeared in the white light, leaving only a feather in his place. The white feather that landed in her hands and she held it closer to her heart, sobbing heartbreakingly for the lost of her beloved angel. 

An angel with broken wings is no longer an angel. When an angel falls in love with a human, he slowly loses his wings until there's nothing left and then disappears in the thin air...

The part of the tale that people always forget to tell is that that's not how the story ends. After an angel vanishes in the air, he or she reincarnates on earth as a human, but with no memories of their lifes as angels. And it's up to their loved ones to find their way back to them.

Whether Chorong found Joonmyun or not... that's a different a story.