Sing

Sing

“Okay good Minhae-sshi, why don’t you come out so we can listen to the playback?”

“Okay,” you nod and remove the headset that was resting over your ears. You gather up your sheet music and exit the recording booth.

“Did I get it right this time?” you ask nervously as you sit in the rolling chair next to the man working the soundboard.

“I can’t say right now,” the music producer says as he leans against the sound mixer, crossing his arms over his chest as the other man continues to turn a few knobs and press a few buttons, “Why don’t we play back this take first and then we can judge how you did.”

The producer nods to the man sitting next to you and you hold your breath as he nods back and presses play. You listen critically, noting down places on the sheets of music where you find yourself struggling with the notes. You furrow your eyebrows and shake your head in disapproval each time you hear you voice shake or waver.

This is your debut song, the first song everyone is going to hear from you, the only song they’re going to judge you on. You have to sound professional. You have to sound perfect.

The room goes silent when the track ends and you let out a sign, leaning back in your chair with your eyes closed.

“It’s not right,” you mumble, “There’s so many thing wrong and I made at least a thousand mistakes.”

“I wouldn’t say a thousand.”

You whirl around in your chair and your eyes widen when you see Kyungsoo walking into the studio. You sit up, straightening your back and fixing your hair as the Exo member goes to greet your album producer.

“Kyungsoo!” the man smiles, “It’s good to see you again.”

“You too,” he nods back and send a heart shaped smile towards you, “It’s nice to see you again too, Minhae-sshi.”

You bite your lip and bow slowly, not daring to say a word in fear that your sentences would come out as a garbled mess.

“So how’s recording going?” Kyungsoo asks.

“We’ve already finished recording her second track on the single and right now we’re working on her title song,” the music producer answers.

“Oh,” a spark appears in Kyungsoo’s eyes, “You’re still recording my baby?”

your eyes widen and you stare at Kyungsoo in shock, almost choking on your own spit, “W-What?” Did he just call me his …

“You’re title song,” he replies with complete innocence, “You’re still recording the song I wrote.”

Confusion flashes through your eyes and you quickly look down at the first page of your sheet music. When you see ‘Written and Composed by Do Kyungsoo’ you internally chide yourself for thinking that would ever refer to your as his “baby”.

“Yes she is,” the producer responds, “But Minhae keeps saying that it’s not quite right. I can’t help but agree that something is missing. Do you have any advice or thoughts?”

“Well,” Kyungsoo starts and takes a glance at you, “I did imagine it to be a duet when I was writing it. Maybe we can try signing it together?”

You look up at Kyungsoo with wide eyes, a feeling of intimidation starting to make your heart beat faster.


“But only if you’re okay with it!” Kyungsoo adds hastily, “I mean it’s your debut song. I don’t want to impose if you’re not okay with it.”

“No, no,” you shake your head quickly and stand up, “I’m fine with it.”

 Kyungsoo smiles again and you feel your cheeks starting to turn ten shades pinker.

You scurry into the booth before Kyungsoo can see your blush and send you into further embarrassment.

Kyungsoo enters the booth a minute later. You busy yourself with your headset and sheet music, avoiding his eyes at all costs.

Kyungsoo studies the music for a couple of moments before picking up the pencil that is resting on the music stand. You watch him split the music into different sections and write notes on of who sings when.

“So we pretty much just take turns with the lines,” he says as he lays the pencil back down, “And we sing together on the bridge and choruses. Easy enough right?”

“Umm, yeah,” you nod, keeping your eyes trained on the notes and staffs.

Kyungsoo nods and picks up another headset.

“Oh, and one more thing,” he says before placing the headphones over his ears.

You turn to him and give him a questioning look.

“Don’t be nervous,” he says quietly, “I know you’re very talented so you have nothing to worry about. Just sing. Okay?”

Despite his voice having the completely opposite effect on your from what he as saying, you nod.

“Okay, good,” he nods in return and smiles.

He gives a thumbs up to your producer and the sweet sound of piano fills your ears. You turn towards Kyungsoo when he lightly taps your hand.

“You’re first,” he mouths.

You nod and take another glance at the music. You close your eyes and take a deep breath before singing.

---

Your knee bounces up and down as you take deep breaths to calm your raging heartbeat.

“Hey,” a hand holds your knee still.

You look up to see Kyungsoo, dressed in a simple clack suit, smirking at you.

“Relax,” he chuckles.

“I can’t,” you whine, “I’m too nervous. What if I mess up?”

Kyungsoo rolls his eye at your childishness and reach up to take one of your hands between both of his.

“You’re going to do great,” he says earnestly, “Perfect even.”

You give him a small smile and stare down at your lap as your cheeks start to color for the nth time since the two of you started working together.

“Minhae-sshi, D.O-sshi. Please report to the stage,” a woman’s voice sounds over the intercom.

“Oh no!” you head snaps up, your eyes wide in horror, “What do I do? What I do I do?!”

Kyungsoo stands and pulls you up with him.

“You sing, love,” he responds and kisses the hand that’s he’s hold before dragging you out of the dressing room.