Tokyo Cafe

Tokyo Cafe [ONESHOT]

 


 
Tokyo Cafe

 




 

“Aish, I should have been more conscious of the time, now I have to wait until the rain stops,” Chaerin muttered to herself as she sat at a corner of her favorite café. 


The rain suddenly poured really hard outside the shop and unfortunately, she hadn’t brought an umbrella with her. 


Blame it on Bigbang, Chaerin’s most favorite idol boy group. She had been a fan since day one and her favorite member is Ji yong or G-dragon, as he is known. She goes to the café after class to connect to the shop’s internet connection and watch the latest videos and news about her Bigbang especially Ji yong whom she herself nicknamed Jingyo. And like any other fan she had already been to their concerts and sent them personalized gifts. For Ji yong though, she’d put in more effort to make it extra special than the rest, putting her name at the end of the note hoping that he’d bother to know that it came from her. If only she was pretty enough then maybe, just maybe...


She chose Tokyo café out of all the other café’s in Seoul since it is quiet, the ambiance is calming and the service is amazing. Once she’d arrive the waiter’s would immediately attend to her with a smile which made her feel really important. They have also given her discounts and even made her a special cupcake for her birthday, much to her surprise. Even her bestfriend, Bom, also a regular at the café had joked that they never do that for her but then Chaerin reasons that it is because she goes to the café more often than her. The café is new but then it already had a lot of loyal customers. It had also become her hideout or refuge when she was feeling under the weather.


Speaking of the weather, the rain doesn’t seem to be stopping anytime soon and it’s already getting late. “Bom’s going to be worried,” Chaerin thought. She decided to give her a call but to add up to her dismay she found out that her phone had already run out of battery.


“Ugh, please not now,” she whispered to herself but it was a hopeless case. 


The café’s clock already read 11:40pm and she was thankful that she doesn’t have class tomorrow. But then her main problem was going home without getting drenched in the rain. The shop would be closing soon and that would mean that she had to leave.


Looking around the café, she could see another guy sitting 3 tables behind her. Both of them were the only customers left and out of desperation she decided to ask him if she could borrow his hand phone. Closing her laptop she drew in all the courage she had or thought she never had and stood up. Walking over to his table, she was starting to have hesitations since he doesn’t really look that approachable with his black thick hooded jacket, he also wore a cap, making it hard to see his face. His get up somehow reminded her of 1tym’s Teddy.


“Uhm… uh… e-excuse me,” she stuttered a bit as she tapped his shoulder gently with her finger. He looked up a bit, aware of her presence. She still couldn’t see his face clearly though. 


“I’m sorry to bother you but can I, uh, borrow your phone? It’s just for an emergency. It’s just that my phone had just run out of battery. I-Is it okay?” she held her breath waiting for his answer which took a while. She was about to leave out of embarrassment but then he suddenly got up, making her step back in fright. He then looked around the café and even outside like he was hiding from something before finally facing her, fixing his cap so she could see his face. 


Her eyes widened and she gasped in surprise as it was no other but Bigbang’s Ji yong. “Jingyo,” she blurted out before immediately covering with both her hands. 


“Hm?” he stared at her curiously and god she swore how he looked a hundred times better in person.


“I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to bother you,” she said in one breath while bowing down several times and quickly turning around to leave. She perfectly knew that no famous artist would lend their phone especially to a fan and to think that he was trying to hide who he was all this time. “He must have been annoyed,” she reprimanded herself for being at the wrong place and at the wrong time.


She was about to get away but then he held on to her arm making her freeze. “Is he really holding me?! Oh maii gahd!”she thought to herself. Facing back at him she started apologizing again.


“I’m really sorry. I won’t tell anyone—“she began but she stopped as a black object appeared in front of her face.


“Here’s my hand phone. You have to make an emergency call right?” he said in what she hoped to be in a concerned tone. For a moment she only looked at his hand phone, stunned as to what he just said. “It’s okay. Don’t be shy,” he said gently with a smile making her legs weak. After getting back to her senses she then slowly took his phone, her fingers slightly brushing against his.


She again looked down on the phone she was holding and looked up at him. “Oppa, a-are you sure?” he smiled at her again and nodded. Typing in Bom’s number she then made a call assuring her bestfriend that she’s still at the café and that she was stranded because of the rain. They had then agreed that she’d pick her up at the café. After the call she then gave back Ji yong his phone thanking him profusely. 


She had just returned him his phone when the manger of the shop came to him and asked when he’d like to close the restaurant. Her ears perked up at what the manager just called him before putting the close sign on the door. “He’s the owner of this café?” she thought but then she realized that she had said it loud enough for him to hear. 


He looked back at her and smiled sheepishly which she found cute or maybe even more than that. “Well, actually nobody knows about it but I do intend to make it public anytime soon,” he said while taking off his cap, running a hand over his hair. She gaped at him, remaining stunned with his superior looks. “Will you keep it a secret for the mean time, Chaerin?” 


Sure. I promise. Uhm… how did you know my name?” she asked, again, surprised by the turn of events. Honestly, it did feel like ecstasy when he said her name. Fans would probably kill to be in her position.


“Ah, it’s because you’re one of our regular customers of whom we gave special discounts. We rarely do that so we tend to remember the names of our most avid customers,” he said smoothly. “A while ago I heard you calling me something like… Jingyo?” he asked and she troubled on what excuse to make.


“I-I… about that… I didn’t mean to… The thing is, I’m one of your biggest fans and I just wanted to call you that way. Uh, this is embarrassing, “she mumbled, unable to look at him in the eye.


“No, it’s alright. I don’t really mind, actually, I like it. Nobody calls me that… only you. It sounds nice,” he said and she relaxed a bit feeling honoured to have her call him that way. “Wait, pick a table, the one you really are comfortable staying,” he said and she was left confused.


“That one,” she decided to choose the one he sat on a while ago.


“Okay, this will be your table from now on. The fans will soon know about this café and the customers are increasing. As a sign of my gratitude for keeping my secret and being a regular customer, this table is exclusively yours now. You don’t have to wait for a table now,” he said and her heart exploded with what he said.


“Y-You don’t have to, I mean, truthfully, a-all I want is your signature and picture,” she said softly before carefully handing him a notebook. “That is if you don’t mind,” she said but then he immediately obliged and still insisted that the table will be exclusively for her. She now really didn’t have any regrets of liking him because he had such a kind heart especially to his fans.


“Do you come here often?” she suddenly asked out of curiosity.


“Yeah, a couple of times a week,” he said and she realized that all this time he was just a couple of tables away from her. “Hmm… since you found out about my secret do you want to hear another one?” he asked and she nodded eagerly.


He leaned forward to her making her blush and whispered carefully. “The reason why never told anybody I own this café is because this is where I meet the girl I like. Please don’t tell anyone, okay? I don’t like the press following her around and harassing her,” she didn’t expect that. Somehow, even though she knew that eventually he’d be with some top model or another female idol in the future she couldn’t help but feel a bit hurt. But then who was she to stop him.


“She’s a lucky girl, oppa. You deserve to be happy. I promise, I won’t tell a soul,” she said sincerely, giving him a smile. Just then, one of the employees quickly opened the door and letting a very pretty girl enter. The close sign was already hanging in front of the door which meant that she was someone really important, most probably the special girl he was talking about.


The pretty girl also had a really high sense of fashion and she looked like a model. Her initial thoughts were confirmed when she smiled at Ji yong and pointed to the table at the far end of the café which isn’t visible outside. Ji yong nodded at her and she went to the table where she sat and waited for him. At the same time, a red car stopped in front of the café which Chaerin recognized all too well.


“That would be my best friend,” Chaerin said as she picked up all her stuff and fixed them in her bag. She turned to him to see that he had returned his cap on his head. 


“You’ll be back tomorrow, right?” he asked and she nodded. “We’re trying a new menu tomorrow so, maybe we can hang-out at the same time and you’ll help me decide which is best,” he said kindly.


“Oh, I-I don’t think I should, you should use it to spend time with your girlfriend, oppa,” she said, giving him a wink.


“She’s a nice girl, she wouldn’t mind if you’d hang out with us,” he said.


“She really suites you well. Thank you so much for tonight, Jingyo oppa,” her eyes turning into moon crescents as she smiled. 


Before she left, he opened his arms wide and she quickly accepted his hug. “Thank you, please continue cheering on for Bigbang and our secret… you know,” he said before slowly loosening his arms around her. She wished their friendly hug lasted longer but then in the end she reluctantly let go of him, keeping in mind the scent of his perfume. They bade each other goodbye before she hurried inside the car. She could see him heading on to the woman waiting for him. How she wished that she could be that woman but then what’s important is that the memory of tonight will always stay in her mind and heart forever.









~~









“Chaerin-ah!” Bom squealed as she jumped up and down while staring at the TV where Bigbang was being interviewed.“It’s Bigbang!! Hul! TOP is really to die for!!” she squealed again as Chaerin went over to the living room.


Her heart began to accelerate as the camera zoomed in on the famous boy group. Bom was literally shaking her in excitement. “Yah, Bom-ah! What do you think I am? A toy?” she said irritatingly.


The camera then focused on Ji yong and she couldn’t believe that she had met him in person last night. He was so different in front of the cameras. He had this strong superstar aura and charisma that makes him G-dragon. 


The program then showed an inset of a picture of the girl she saw last night and she turned up the volume to hear what they were saying. 



Interviewer:” Ji yong, we heard that your cousin had just arrived from New York and she is one of the top models that went over to model for prestigious brands. Only a few know that you’re cousins. Are you really close in real life?”


Ji yong: “Yeah, very. She is who I confide to when I have problems,”



The interview continued on as the interviewer asked more questions to the other members. “She is his cousin. No wonder she’s so pretty,” Chaerin thought to herself, now wondering what his real girlfriend looked like.


Interviewer: “Now what is this I heard that someone from Bigbang is dating?”


Chaerin immediately gasped as she heard the question. She knew Ji yong didn’t want anyone knowing about his relationship and she certainly did not tell anyone. She anticipated for his reaction and guessed that he would probably deny it.


Ji yong: "Well, actually there’s this girl I like… I’ve been seeing her in secret."


The set had all been shocked by his sudden confession and even Chaerin almost fell from her seat. She could see Bigbang members exchanging meaningful looks and smiling to each other.


Interviewer: "Who is this girl Ji yong? Right now, many of your female fans must be heartbroken by this confession."


Ji yong: "I’m sorry. I can’t say right now."


Interviewer: "Okay just describe her then. What type of girl is she?"


Ji yong: "Hmm… first of all she’s not famous. She’s just any ordinary girl. She’s sweet and kind. She’s very polite towards others and she has this sense of innocence which I like very much but then she’s also the type to never back down from anything especially when defending her friends. Surprisingly, she is very good in aegyo but she just doesn’t realize it. She loves coffee, cup cakes, cookies, anything sweet, a good book, Bigbang of course (laughter)… and cats, she actually reminds me of one."


Interviewer: "How about physically. She must be extremely beautiful."


Ji yong: "She’s very cute, she has light brown hair, a small frame and dresses comfortably but she’s very artistic, she styles her clothes by herself. But then, no matter what other people say of her, in my eyes she will always be perfect. (the set gushes over what he said)"


Interviewer: "Looks like you have already fallen for this girl. (Ji yong nods, going red in the face and smiling shyly). What does she call you? Oppa? Or is she older than you?"


Ji yong: "She calls me…(he looks at the camera) Jingyo… Jingyo oppa."



“Chaerin-ah!!” Bom screamed as her best friend fainted on the sofa, apparently she’s not going to get over it anytime soon. “Chaerin-ah, you’re totally over reacting. I know you’re sad that Ji yong already has a girlfriend but you don’t have to be like this. Aish, how dare that girl call him Jingyo oppa too, isn’t that what you call him?” she said shaking her best friend and fanning her with her hand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 months ago

Monday:



"Shoo! Go away!" an employee of Tokyo café tried to drive away the small kitten which had somehow, found its way inside the café. In the end the employee threw the kitten outside the shop. 


Ji yong glances at the commotion from inside the glass windows of the café. He then sighs as he placed down his pen, unable to write a song. He was about to give up and leave when he notices a brown haired girl about to enter his café but then stopping when she saw the kitten crying on the street. She then crouched over and pets it, talking to it softly. Intrigued, he follows her every move as she gently carries the kitten, cradling it in her arms. That sweet image slowly left a mark on his mind and moved him.


She then continued entering the café but was stopped by one of his employees because pets weren’t allowed, especially cats since they claw unto the sofas. He sees her disappointed face but then just smiles and decides not to continue inside, keeping the kitten.


Quickly, he calls the manager who then hurries over to the girl and apologizes, asking her to come back inside. He then ordered to give her special discounts to make up for not allowing her to enter.


He smiles seeing how she took a small container from her bag which she filled up with the milk she ordered and gives it to her new pet sitting on the table. 


He finds out that her name is Lee Chaerin. 














 

 










Tuesday:


He sees her again. She now brought her laptop with her and a couple of books. She looked like she had just been from class. From the looks of her school crest, she is attending class at a university nearby. He watches carefully as she stitches stuff and creates cool creative designs on a shirt which she wore the next day. 


She is taking a fashion course.





Wednesday:


He sits at his usual place, 3 tables behind the table she always sits on. He waits for a few minutes and just as he expects she came. He takes a mental note on what she orders and finds out that she loves all the sweet stuff. She also looked so engross on watching something on her laptop. If only he had a better view he would have seen what it was. But then she suddenly received a phone call. She seems angry and he hears something about her best friend being in trouble. After a while she immediately picks up all her stuff and leaves quickly, not even finishing her food. 


Her best friend is really important to her.














 

 











Thursday:


Now he is certainly waiting for her and he felt like his fans who stalk him everywhere. This time she brought her friend with her. They seemed to be enjoying and talking animatedly. Her friend then takes out a small cake and places a candle in the middle. It was her birthday today. After a few minutes her friend reluctantly leaves for an important appointment. She doesn’t want to leave Chaerin but then being a good friend she urged her bestfriend to go saying she’ll be fine. 


Not wanting her to be alone on her birthday, he then hurries to the kitchen to have the chefs make newly baked cup cakes, arranging it himself by placing a candle on the middle cup cake. He watches happily as she looks awed at the gesture of the café. The employees even sang happy birthday and he could see her so touched. 


She had a really pretty smile.














 

 










Friday:


She came back with a bright smile. She even brought her kitten. She sits down and opens her laptop to look at it intently like always. He is now very curious as to what it is. After a couple of hours she closes the laptop and reads a book.


She acts really cute with that kitten.














 

 










Saturday:


She did not come.


He realizes that he misses her. 














 

 











Sunday:


He waits impatiently for her and even his employees notice his growing attention for this particular girl. Finally she comes, carrying 2 paper bags while greeting everyone politely as usual. He then notices that all the tables are occupied at this hour so she begins to wait patiently while chatting with the cashier. Immediately, he calls one of his waiters and tells him to let her sit on his table. He looks at her contentedly sitting on his table and opening her laptop. This time he slowly passes by slyly and to his surprise he sees Bigbang’s video being played. What even surprised him was that she was making what looked like hand-made gifts. His eyes quickly spot his own name on a bigger box than the rest of the other members. Looking back he catches her smiling as she inspects the box with his name.


He got the gift a couple of weeks later and kept it in a special place. He then finally admits liking Lee Chaerin.














 

 










2 months later - Present time:


He sits waiting with a bouquet of red roses at a table exclusively for her. It’s already 11 in the evening. The shop had closed early and he is dressed semi-formally. He then begins to pray along with all his employees that she heard his confession on TV and will come to the café tonight. He feels nervous as the clock ticks by hoping she didn’t get scared of all his fan girls or the media, hoping she’d like him too not as G-dragon but as Jingyo. Thirty minutes pass, still no sign of her. He feels miserable as he lowers his head but then the voice he longed to hear echoed through the café.


“Jingyo oppa…” he looks up immediately, a smile immediately appearing on his face.


“Chaerin…” he stands up, holding the flowers with one hand. And before he knows it she runs to him, crashing in his arms,


“I’m sorry, I’m late,” she said, breathing heavily. She seemed to have rushed all the way to the café.


“It doesn’t matter,” he replied. Wrapping his arms around her and gently kissing her head.


No more words needed. No cheesy lines. No fancy settings. One hug. One kiss. Just love.