The Red Shoes ; 분홍신

Thin Line
thin line
“I'm not just waiting, I'm walking to find you.”
 

 

The temperature drop below 10 celsius, she pulls the hood of her jacket to cover her wet dammed hair and her walk gets heavier in the falling rain. The questions about him surrounds her thoughts, suffocating her brain. She smooths her finger over the screen of her phone laying in her pocket, there were 3 minutes left until she would finish her walk to school. The sound of Hyorin’s voice has already been filtered and blocked out by her braincells.

 

”Yah, are you listening?” She flinched at the sudden question and hurriedly nod her head, lowering the volume on her iPod. They stopped at the entrance and she throws her gaze around, looking for a familiar face in the crowded hallway.

 

”I’m going first, see ya later Hyo!” Jinri grinned, the bridge of her nose twitching lightly. Not waiting for her friend’s answer, she half runs away to her locker with an excited heart. 

 

She wonders what awakened the spark in her, why she started to braid her hair every Wednesday, taking like in buying new clothes and she thinks. Is it because of him? Does he make her want to be a better person? Whatever the answer, she hopes it isn’t all in vain.

 

Her heart beat fast, faster and faster and suddenly dropped into the concrete ground. She was never the jealous type, or maybe she never thought there was a day she would be jealous over someone before. He’s standing there, with his head slightly bent and hands shoved in his jacket’s pocket as he leans against the locker that looks way too short compared to his height. Soft giggles escape the female specie he’s talking to, she didn’t need to look closely to see who it was. She knew too well who it is and really, just by the thought of that girl makes her cringe. She walks pass them as fast and invisibly she could, what a great day to start her morning.

 

His gaze follows her way, a small smile plays on his lips and he chuckles quietly to himself. Her peach colored hair is braid into fish bones again, today. He thinks she probably went against herself and woke up early today to get her hair done, she’s a lazy pig and he knows it. She’s wearing a dark marine blue blouse, tucked neatly into her high waist black jeans. Her military like boots pounding against the floor as she walks, his eyes traces from her shoulder to her petite waist. He couldn’t help but let his smile widen when she bumps into a seventh grader as she sassily walks to their first period of the day.

 

 

Incoming video call, Yeolghurt

 

Unintentionally she smiles brightly at his username on her screen. Then she freezes, it has been a few days since they’ve talked. With trembling fingers, she accept his call and her breath cut shorts when his face appear on her Skype window.

 

”Hi.”

 

”Hello.” 

 

”Was P.E fun today?”

 

A mini movie plays in her head as she remember what extreme thing happened today. They played ’The Ocptopus’ she swore the name was so weird, she laughed and almost pissed herself. You get chase by Mr. Lightning and when you get caught you have to hold hand with each other and when you’re four you can split into a pair of two. To her luck Minah and Jiyoung decided to catch Chanyeol and the result, they held hand for ten minutes and she spend five minutes rolling around on the floor like a buffalo because the situation was too hilarious. 

 

”Depends on what you part of it you’re talking about.” She tries her best to hide her happy smile, she would be lying if she said she didn’t die a little inside when he held her hand.

 

”When you started to laugh a lot.” He chuckles, it was a honest one.

 

”I wanted to dig a hole and live there for the rest of my life, just kidding. But it was fun when Sehun tried to chase you in the beginning.” For some odd reason SeYeol was a famous ship in the class in seventh grade. Maybe because Sehun said he was gay for Chanyeol.

 

”What? Why did you want to do that?” His brows raises and he remove his glasses, wiping his sleepy eyes.

 

”It was embarrassing.” She facepalmed herself, it was a stiff hand-holding but it’s the biggest move they’ll ever pull. ”But you and Jongin looks just fine together.”

 

”Yeah, then you got with me.” There was something that sounded like sympathy in his voice, she wanted to tell him that she almost spazzed to her death. 

 

”I think Jongin wanted to hold your hand, he refused to hold mine.” She laughs, it was because Jongin had known her since pre-school and it would be weird if they held hands. ”Sehun would be jealous.”

 

”No, you would.” He laughs, she freezes and she quickly covers her cheek. Her blood rushed to her brain and she swore she looked like a tomato.

 

”I held your hand thoa while.” She smiles, there is a feeling of undesirable happiness inside of her.

 

They sat quietly there for a while, it was a comfortable silent. She occupied herself with some homework they received today and he stares at her for a few minutes before he opens his mouth.

 

”Do you still like me?” It was a question, filled with honesty and curiosity.

 

”You ask me a lot of interesting questions.” She chuckled low, she had try to ignore him for the past four days to see if her feelings would fade away. ”What do you think?”

 

”I don’t know.” Typical.

 

”Let’s say I don’t know too.”

 

”You don’t call or text me anymore, so.” 

 

She laughs, maybe it’s his silliness that’s charming. ”Do you want me to call you often?” 

 

He rolls his eyes, embarrassment fills his face and he turns red. ”Maybe.”

 

They both tried to hide their smile as he said it, she chuckles and promised she’ll call and text him more often as time go by.

 

”Would you still like me if I was very fat?” His question caught her off guard and she laughed, it was so straight forward and his joking face help to boost the comedic question.

 

After gathering air for an answer, he looks at him straight in the eye and said. ”Yes, I would still like you if you were fat as a balloon or thin as a stick. Isn’t it usually the girl that ask these questions though?” He’s really special.

 

”I’m just curious.” He laughs, she thinks it’s beautiful. Everything about him is beautiful. His raven hair, his big round eyes, his thick glasses, his L sized tees, his light blue jeans, his white sneakers. Even though he might think of himself as unattractive, but to her. He’s the most beautiful human being she could ever dream of, something she has never been able to grasp her fingers around before. The thoughts of him came so unexpected she thought she had lost all of her sanity in the beginning. 

 

Chanyeol, she notice. A kid with low self esteem and a problem with expressing himself, she has heard a lot about his past. The fact that his mother died when he was still a toddler pains her, rumors said she hung herself in front of him when he was 3. She wonders if that’s something taken from a sad soap opera, if the script writer is a master of tragedy and misfortune things. Reality is cruel and she has a sudden urge of protecting him. 

 

”I want to watch The Conjuring.” 

 

”I want to watch World War Z, you know you can’t watch that by yourself.” 

 

”Because someone coughyoucough didn’t want to watch it with me!”

 

”It cost okay, do you want to watch World War Z together?”

 

”How?”

 

”We’ll start the movie at the same time and keep the Skype call.”

 

”Well that’s smart. What if I don’t want to.”

 

”You have to.”

 

”What…”

 

”Be right back, I’ll go brush my teeth and stuff.”

 

”Wait what, me too.”

 

They came back to the call after ten minutes, she counts to three and they start their movie at the exact same time. She laughs because it’s like he’s making up for rejecting her movie offer in the real world. She flinches here and there at the scare jumps and he chuckles, sometimes saying that she’s such a chicken. 

 

”I’m not!”

 

The night ends like that, the sun has rises behind the white clouds as they finish their movie marathon. It’s Saturday and her eyelids felt like iron. 

 

”Oh god, I hate you. It’s 5:30.” She whines, she can’t sleep for long until she has to wake up again.

 

”Well, time to go to sleep.” He smiles, waving his hand at the webcam he tells her a thank you for staying up late with him.

 

She thinks she’s in a complicated relationship where the line between friends and chances-to-be-lovers are as thin as a thread. Things have changed for them, but that’s fine by her. Little by little, she loves him more than yesterday and less than tomorrow. Little by little, he opens up his heart for her. 

 

She has fallen in love again and is happy once again. It’s a story that has been re-written from the beginning.

 
the writer's words

 I'm very grateful that everbody is looking out for me and give me advices but I guess it's not the typical ending after all. Not sure how this chapter turned out good, I don't really remember all the emotions I was feeling LOL. My writing style also become different as the chapter goes on so I'm sorry if it .

@tokyogaijin & @yuristable I don't know if he indirectly rejected me or not but from what I see and my friend told me, maybe he's giving me a small chance. Did the story turn out differently than you have thought? :) I think I would want to finish the story, with him. Even if it ends tragiclly, it's still a special first love that I want to share with my readers. And thank you for the compliment!

@coffeejelik it's so complicated it's funny /inserts heart here

@bubbles246 hwaiting! I hope you'll find your happy ending too :)

< a tori creation >