The Party

Scared

“God damn it! Aya, let me out of here!” I banged on the door, shouting at the person on the other side. My hand was frantically jiggling the door knob, it was of no use. The door was locked from the outside.

 

“Too bad, Reina! You’re not getting out of there till morning. I hope you resolve your issues with Takaki, if not it’s going to be a long night,” Aya chirped happily. “but I’m sure you’ll enjoy your night together!”

 

“Screw you, Aya!” I slammed my fist against the door while huffing. I was pretty sure the moment I got out of here tomorrow morning I was going to kill her.

 

“I assume I’m not getting any tonight then,” a male voice said amused, I turned to him, glaring at him sharply.

 

“You’re not getting any from me for the rest of your life,” I said shortly. Stupid Aya and her bloody brilliant plans, I groaned internally. Did she honestly think that she could solve anything by shoving both of us in a room together?

 

“It doesn’t hurt to ask, Reina,” Yuya chuckled while leaning back on his elbows on the bed. His eyes looked up and down my body, checking me out, as if he hadn’t seen me in a dress. A simple black button down shirt clung to his body in all the right places, his brown hair was tousled up as usual.

 

“Don’t call me that,” I angled my body away from him and looked around the room, there was only a bed, side tables and a small bathroom attached. I went inside the bathroom to see if there was a way out. There wasn’t.

 

“Damn it,” I groaned while placing my hands on the sink, tilting my head down, hair falling down like a curtain around my face. Why did this have to happen? I wasn’t planning on seeing Yuya at all. I just followed Aya to this party. I breathed in deeply and washed the makeup off of my face, patting my face dry with a towel. 

 

“Why did you take it off?” Yuya asked when I reentered the room. 

 

“What?” 

 

“Your makeup.”

 

“It’s a bit of a hassle,” I ran my fingers through my hair and pulled it to one side self-consciously.

 

“Most girls wouldn’t,” Yuya said, his fringe slightly obscured his left eye. I itched to push it out of his face, but resisted the urge.

 

“I’m not like most girls,” I moved to the window and leaned against it, my arms crossed against my stomach, almost like the action could protect my heart.

 

“I know,” he said softly, “you were mine once.” 

 

My heart sank when he said it, “once. No more.” I said shortly. I sighed and turned my gaze to the floor. I heard Yuya sigh softly. I was lost in my thoughts, thinking about every happy moment we had, holding hands, the times when he would peck my lips gently, getting me books that I wanted to read, his annoying teasing. But I gave it all up, so there’s no room for regrets.

 

“Look at me,” Yuya voice came from in front of me. I looked up to see him standing over me. His eye was filled with sadness, his voice showing his seriousness. “Why?”

 

“Why what?” My voice cracked, my fingers gripping the window ledge tightly, afraid of what was to come. Our gazes were locked on one another, almost as if we could know what the other was thinking.

 

“Why did we break up?” 

 

“It wasn’t working out,” I pushed Yuya away and stalked to the other side of the room. Yuya quickly followed and grabbed on to my wrist, pushing me against the wall, trapping me between his arms.

 

“Takaki!” I tried to push him away but he was too strong, stronger than I remembered. “Yuya, stop this.” I was scared of what he would do, he was one of biggest weaknesses.

 

“No,” he replied huskily, “you don’t like me anymore do you?”

 

“No,” I said firmly, staring him in the eyes.

 

“Then you won’t care if I do this then.” Yuya crushed his lips against mine, and pulled me into him tightly. His lips moved against mine, urging me to respond, nipping lightly on my lower lip. I was determined not to respond, but my body was so used to him, and craved him so. Don’t respond. Don’t respond, I urged my body.

 

I pressed my lips against his, the action was almost a reflex, fingers tightly gripping onto his shoulders. He tightened the arm around my waist, pulling my hips deeply into his own. 

 

“Yuya, stop,” I said breathlessly when we broke apart, “we can’t do this.”

 

“We can, love.” Yuya said sincerely, lightly resting his forehead against mine, his lips lightly brushing against the tip of my nose.

 

“I can’t!” I shoved him away, and backed into a corner, sliding down to curl my legs against my chest. I couldn’t. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t stand the fact that he was so damn perfect to me and everyone else. I was so scared that he would disappear or cheat on me. He was a playboy and he did that continuously before and after we broke up. I just didn’t know whether I could trust myself to trust him.

 

I sighed and pulled a hand through my hair, Reina was just so damn stubborn. “Okay, I’ll back off all right.” I walked over to the other corner of the room, and turned to watch her.

 

I couldn’t stand the fact that she didn’t want to admit that she still liked me and that I returned her feelings. She was so scared that I would leave her suddenly like all the other girls before. I needed her to know that she was different. That I would never ever leave her. 

 

Reina’s shoulders began to shake as her face pressed into her knees. Was she crying? Oh God, she was.

 

“Reina...” I moved towards her and crouched in front of her. I touched her elbow lightly, “don’t cry.” 

 

“Go away Takaki,” Reina choked out, and my heart shattered. I tugged at her arms but she resisted.

 

“Come here,” I pulled her into my arms, and held her tightly around her waist. Reina started crying harder, her fingers gripping the front of my shirt. “I’ve got you. Don’t cry.” I held Reina for a long time, until she stopped crying. I had missed the feeling of having her in my arms, but this wasn’t the way that I wanted to hold her. I want her to smile and throw her arms around my neck like she used to. 

 

Yuya held me against his chest till I calmed down, his fingers my back comfortingly. I gingerly pressed my hands against his chest, pushing myself away from him. “I’m okay,” I sniffed, my head downcast. “I’m okay.”

 

Yuya steered me towards the bed and sat me down. I could only stare at my lap, I was so drained from crying. I just didn’t want to admit that I needed Yuya probably more than he could ever need me. I felt so needy, so damn helpless. And I hated it.

 

“Here,” Yuya pressed his button down shirt into my hands.

 

“Huh?” I looked up at his half form.

 

“It’s not that comfortable wearing that dress, especially since you need to rest,” Yuya said while running a hand through his hair, “I’ll go to the toilet and you call me when you’re done changing, all right?”

 

Before I could protest, Yuya entered the adjoining bathroom and shut the door behind him. I lifted the black shirt to my nose, inhaling the scent momentarily before stripping my dress off and pulled the shirt around my body and buttoned it up.

 

The black fabric brushed against my mid thighs lightly, the sleeves covering the palms of my hands. Yuya’s shirts were always a couple sizes too big for me. I step quietly towards the closed bathroom door, my knuckles tapping the wood lightly, “I’m done.”

 

The wooden door swung open and we were face to face with one another again, our eyes met and my breath hitched in my throat. My eyes searched Yuya face, and there was so much conflict written on his face, I’m sure my face looked the same.

 

We wanted to touch each other but there was a fine line that I had forcibly stamped between us, making any sort of contact with each other forbidden, “sorry,” I intoned quietly, and stepped away from him. 

 

A small sort of sad smile appeared on his lips, and my heart couldn’t do anything but hurt upon seeing it. I watched him pull a pillow and blanket off the bed and begun to arrange the two bed items on the floor.

 

“You can sleep on the bed, I’ll just make do with the floor,” Yuya said, almost as if he could hear my thoughts. I walked over to the bed and gingerly sat on it, pulling my legs close to my chest.

 

Yuya sat with his back resting against the bed, a arm resting lightly on a knee that was semi-pulled up to his chest, the other leg stretched out on the floor. “I miss you, you know?”

 

I didn’t know how to respond to his words, his voice was tinged with nostalgia and maybe a little bit of agony, how was I to reply to his simple statement? I wanted to tell him that I missed him too, but could I? Would I?

 

“I... I miss you too,” I said quietly. 

 

“Then why?” I couldn’t respond to his question, I just sat there, my eyes staring blankly at the wall in front of me.

 

After my question, Reina went silent, the silence was almost unbearable, so I turned to look at her. She had her arms wrapped around her waist, her eyes blankly staring at the off white wall in front of her. 

 

I wanted to hear her reasons so badly, I wanted to assure her that what she thought was baseless and that she never needed to worry whether I would leave her, because I wouldn’t, because she was different. And she was mine. And that was all that mattered.

 

“You don’t have to say anything, I understand,” I said, turning my eyes back to the wall in front of me, my back sinking into the soft mattress I leaned against.

 

“I,” my ears perked up as Reina began to speak, “I was scared. You were just this amazing person that every one, every girl seemed to love. You were with another girl every other day, and when you asked me to be your girlfriend after knowing each other as friends, I was just scared. Scared that you would see me the way I saw myself. Inferior to the many other girls that pined after you. I didn’t want you to break my heart, so I broke my heart instead.”

 

The words that I longed to say after all this time just slipped out of my lips, and it hurt. Every word that I said, it hurt me. I buried my face into my arms, a few tears splashed onto my arms.

 

“Reina,” Yuya’s voice was soft, the mattress sinking down from his weight, “look at me.” His fingers ghosted over my hair, as I tilted my head up to look at him. “You’re special to me, you’re different from every other girl. That’s why I love you, and that’s why I asked you to be mine. I couldn’t stand the fact the other guys could get you to laugh so easily, that maybe one day they could kiss you, and just hold you in their arms when it could have been me. And it should have been me. And I still want it to be me.” 

 

Lightly, he brushed my tears away and gently held my face in his hands, “Be mine again? I’ll never leave you for someone else. I’ve always been yours, and no one else’s. My previous girlfriends or flings don’t matter, or any other for that matter. So long as I have you.” 

 

My heart soared at his words, but a fear still lingered at the back of my mind, “I’m still scared, Yuya. But I’ll gladly be yours again,” Yuya’s lips curved into a gentle smile, his hands sought out my own so that he could intertwine them tightly.

 

“Does that mean I won’t be sleeping on the floor tonight?” Yuya said in a teasing manner, pecking the top of my head.

 

“You’ll be sleeping on the floor all right,” I laughed as I threw my arms around his neck, bringing him close to me. “Just not tonight, I’ve missed you so much.” Yuya’s eyes softened at my comment, he leaned both of us over carefully to pick up the pillow of the floor and placed it at the headboard.

 

Yuya carefully covered his lips over mine, the kiss emanated a warmth that only he could give me. We broke the kiss after a moment, and I lightly kissed him once more. “We should get some rest,” I said quietly, he nodded and laid both of us down on the bed.

 

I nestled my head into the concave between his neck and shoulder, breathing in deeply, arms tightly wound around him. His arms rested around my waist comfortably, our legs tangled with one another. 

 

“Reina?” 

 

“Hmm?” I replied drowsily.

 

“I love you.” Yuya whispered sincerely.

 

“I love you too.”