ALL TIME LOW

ALL TIME LOW

“Daesung, you taste just as good as ice cream…”

 

“Ah, Seungri, yes…right there…you’re so good to me, baby…”

 

“You said it yourself, hyung. Ice cream never fails.”

 

“Jiyong-hyung…you’re so tight-ah!

 

Youngbae quickly slid his custom-designed Beats onto his ears as he walked down the hallway of the apartment. Ridiculous. The walls were paper thin, and prior to the loud music that was currently flowing from the designer headphones directly to his brain, he’d been able to hear everything from his both of his flatmate’s rooms. It was like walking down the hallways of a brothel, Youngbae imagined. Not that he’d actually know, since he hadn’t exactly visited one and had no intention of doing so.

 

Although at this rate, it actually appeared to be his only option if the future of his love life mirrored the present.

 

Dong Youngbae was y, free and single, but so not ready to mingle. He didn’t know what it was, but he just couldn’t. He was young, rich, successful, in possession of one of the hottest bodies in the industry, and completely spoilt for choice when it came to women. And yet. He was just as lacking in confidence around girls as he’d been eight years ago, pre-debut, back when he’d gotten the words “bad example” tattooed on his forehead courtesy of the president, back when Jiyong had been rolling in gifts from fans overseas before they’d even debuted, back when he’d almost been on the cutting board despite training at the company for years before any of the others.

 

It was embarrassing, and something he just couldn’t shake off. Even after almost a decade.

 

It also didn’t help that his two roommates were both heavily ensconced in relationships. With his two other bandmates. That’s right. Everyone in Big Bang was gay. And for each other. Except Youngbae.

 

Youngbae knew it was an incredibly unholy sin, perhaps one of the worst he himself had personally experienced to date, but sometimes, although he understood that it must be great to be with someone who understood you even more than yourself, he wished his band- and dorm-mates weren’t quite so happy in their relationships, or at the very least, not so upfront about it. It was a terrible thought, and Youngbae knew this, he knew! He just couldn’t help the way he felt. He was beyond jealous. To have somebody who you’ve known for over eight years and completely knows how you feel, how stressful the pressure of being a celebrity is, who’s been there for you through everything. It was probably the most ideal situation an idol of the Hallyu Wave could conjure within their minds. And so, Youngbae was finding it quite difficult to ignore his situation when he was constantly walking out of his room to find Seunghyun and Daesung had gotten a little lost on their journey to the freezer for more ice cream and were fiercely making out in the hallway whilst feeling each other up underneath their clothes, or not being able to sleep at night because he could hear Seungri in the next room over Jiyong’s name at varying pitches and volumes until it finally ended for the night with the both of them screaming like the bed had caught on fire. Even though those two had supposedly not spoken for over two weeks and apparently nearly almost broken up due to Jiyong being an idiot and Seungri trying to him as per usual, it was obviously apparent that they had more than made up. And now, even through the thumping bass of ‘Fly Gentleman’, Youngbae could hear Daesung’s shouting. It was not to say that Daesung’s vocals were not appreciated. Of course they were; he had the voice of an angel. It was just that Youngbae wasn’t exactly appreciative of the strength of his vocal chords at that very moment in time due to the reason as to why he was screaming, as Seunghyun quickly followed in suit, the power-rapper’s deep tone rumbling in like a steamroller that not even the maximum volume on Youngbae’s iPod could drown out. 

 

The others had commented on Youngbae’s single status once or twice, but not often, probably since they all knew it was a sensitive topic, especially since they were all engaged in their own happy relationships with each other. Or, maybe it was because of said happy relationships that they didn’t really give a toss about anyone other than each other, Youngbae bitterly thought as he continued to trudge forwards, not stopping even when he passed the kitchen until he reached the front door with nowhere else to go, not realising he had been continuously pacing. His thoughts had swallowed him completely.

 

Youngbae had two options as of yet. He could go out and keep on walking in a zombie-like trance with the chance of getting run over due to his lack of attention to his surroundings as he’d exhibited just now. Or he could wallow, stay at home and listen to Jiyong and Seungri have ten more rounds of sweaty, athletic make-up whilst trying to ignore Daesung and Seunghyun ‘watch TV’, which was basically a code for ‘not-so-subtly-palm-each-other-off-in-front-of-the-TV-on-the-living-room-sofa’.

 

The choice was clear.

 

Quickly grabbing a jacket from the coatrack, quite possibly Daesung’s, Youngbae slipped it on, quickly leapt out the front door and slammed it shut. Eager to head down to the streets of Seoul below and rid himself of some of his bitter, unproductive jealousy and anger, he charged down the stairs in attempt to burn off some of the energy, but when he reached the ground, he didn’t feel invigorated or relieved of any stress. He just felt hopeless and pretty, well, self-pitying. As he’d descended floor by floor, he hadn’t felt mad about the fact that the staircases had reminded him that Jiyong lived in the same apartment block as them on a different floor up but basically spent all his time in the ‘dorm’ because Seungri lived there and was too lazy to go up to see his boyfriend, and Jiyong would do absolutely anything for him. Youngbae had just felt sad and completely without hope, that he sincerely believed he’d never have the courage to meet the one who would make him feel as lucky or loved as that, or anyone as genuinely accepting and understanding as Daesung was of Seunghyun, despite all his mental shortcomings and occasional drawbacks of depression, and as Seunghyun was of Daesung, especially after his driving accident all those years back. Youngbae just found himself longing more and more to be in a relationship as happy as his fellow bandmates. They were all so lucky, and they probably knew this, but it didn’t make it any less painful for Youngbae.

 

Just before he stepped out on to the sidewalk, Youngbae pulled up the hood over his head to conceal his half-dyed shock of white-blonde hair at the back of his head. Sliding his sunglasses on and covering his mouth and nose with an air mask, he was just about ready to blend in with the public and wander about with any worries of being recognised. The last thing he wanted to do was run into fans whilst having a particularly bad day like this one.

 

He made his way downtown, trying to ignore all the couples around him, holding hands and huddling closely together to protect one another from the cold. But it was proving quite difficult, considering how big Seoul was on couple culture. Not to say that Youngbae was interested in getting any matching underwear anytime soon, but it made being alone next to unbearable.

 

Youngbae eventually found himself reaching the Hongdae district, hustling and bustling with people milling from clubs to bars. He hadn’t realised how late it was; the sky was practically pitch black. He’d probably have to head back home soon. It was getting kind of cold anyway.

 

“Yah!”

 

Even though he was still wearing his headphones that were currently doubling up as ear muffs, Youngbae could distinctly hear the yelling of an angry man’s voice. He didn’t want to be nosy, but the guy’s voice was so loud that he would’ve heard it all anyway. As Youngbae pushed down his headphones onto his neck, he managed to catch the rest of what the guy was shouting about at full volume as he slowly turned towards the noise.

 

“Yah! You wanna come with us! We’ll be good to you! Come here, yah! We’re not losing our chance to get a pretty lady like you! We’re nice guys, yah!”

 

felt absolutely terrified out of her mind, and you  didn’t know how or why it had happened. It was her first time in Seoul, and you  just wanted to take a walk around the city to explore. you  had somehow ended up in the backstreet of the clubbing district, where you  had ran into a gang of guys who had more scars and tattoos than skin coating their bulging muscles. They were circling you, closing in on you  until, like a superhero out of a comic book, a stranger wearing bright white headphones and a mask that covered half of his face intervened, pulling the burly guy who appeared to be the leader away from you  before he could ually or violently assault you.

 

“Leave the lady alone. She clearly doesn’t want to go anywhere with you.” Youngbae growled at the pack leader, whose stubbly face actually did appear reminiscent of a wolf. A very weird looking wolf, that had dyed blonde hair as white as Jiyong’s, but also a thick, jet-black monobrow and bum fluff coating his mouth, cheeks and chin. “Or do I need to give you all a lesson on how to behave like a gentleman?”

 

“You’re outnumbered, pal.” Bum Fluff spat, actually hacking out phlegm onto the pavement. “I’d like to see what you can do when there’s five of us and only one of you.”

 

Five. For all those years, it had been the five of them all standing together. But then two and two paired off with one another, leaving Youngbae all alone as one. Singular.

 

And here Youngbae found he was by himself once again, in a completely different situation. Because this time he had to remain strong not only for himself, but to protect another; you, who had been cornered by the rest of the gang against a wall, shivering and trembling as you  just prayed for it to be all over.

 

Not bothering to waste his breath on such trash, Youngbae simply clocked Bum Fluff in the face with his right fist, swinging round his left towards the lackey that had been stood next to him. Both of them sailed to the ground as the remaining three minions raced towards Youngbae upon noticing his pre-emptive attack, only to slam face-first into the wall behind him as Youngbae neatly stepped out of the way.

 

“Drunk.” Youngbae tutted under his breath at the sight of all five guys sprawled out on the ground, alcohol effectively sabotaging their brains and any attempts at fighting back. Before they could muster the energy to get back up and do the whole stupid song and dance again, Youngbae, forgoing his usual manners and forgetting about introductions, took the girl’s arm and swiftly guided her over the intoxicated, writhing bodies out of the alleyway and back onto the main roads of Hongdae.

 

“Are you alright?” Youngbae peered nervously at the girl, suddenly aware of his bold and rash actions now that they were out of the dark, cramped alleyway and away from the monkey gang. He dropped her hand like a piping hot iron, blushing furiously upon realising he had been holding it up until just then. “S-Sorry!”

 

didn’t say anything in response. you was just too surprised, firstly, at the almost-assault, and now, properly laying eyes on the stranger who had saved you, realising that it was-

 

“Taeyang-oppa! It’s Taeyang-oppa! Oppa, oppa! I love you! Taeyang-oppa!” Out on the streets, people stopped and stared, others began to walk closer to get a better look, and many girls began screaming and shouting as they hastily began to approach. Youngbae’s hand flew up to his face, where he discovered his mask had come off amidst the excitement of the fight, if a one-sided annihilation can even be called that.

 

“Come on!” Youngbae urged, taking the girl’s hand and running from the crowd. He couldn’t just leave her there, she was probably still in a traumatised state, and if he left her with the crowd, goodness knows what they’d do to her; probably interrogate her to the point of death as to her association with one of YG’s artists even though they hadn’t so much as exchanged introductions!

 

The two finally slowed to a halt once they were well outside the district, back towards the dorm.

 

“Sorry about that.” Youngbae muttered, leaning against a wall as he struggled to catch his breath. “Things could’ve gone very badly if you’d stayed there.”

 

shook her head. “It’s fine. I owe you for saving me from those thugs, anyway. Thank you so much. I don’t know what I would’ve done.”

 

Youngbae blushed once again. “Ah, er…no problem.” He chuckled sheepishly, not realising how much further his actions had gone. He had merely been reacting to the sight of another person being pressured into doing something they clearly didn’t want to do, and intervened before there could be any further harm. He didn’t see it as ‘heroic’ or ‘saving’. “Isn’t it just human nature?”

 

“Unfortunately, not everyone is altruistic as you.” you smiled slowly, looking up at Youngbae. “If you hadn’t come along, who knows where I’d be by now.”

 

“I, ah, well…You’re welcome, in that case.” Youngbae smiled back at you. “I’m Youngbae, by the way.”

 

After introducing herself, you frowned. “Huh? But then…why was everyone yelling ‘Taeyang’ at you?”

 

“Er, that…” Youngbae scratched the back of his head as he considered how to phrase the situation. “Well, you see, I-“

 

“I’m kidding. This is my first time in Seoul; I just moved here. But I’ve heard of Big Bang’s music before, Youngbae-ssi.” you grinned playfully at Youngbae, whose cheeks were growing redder and redder by the second like a Pikachu.

 

“O-Oh.” Youngbae stuttered. He hadn’t expected that. “What…What do you think of us, then?” Youngbae struggled to keep eye contact with you, praying she wouldn’t say anything too cutting. Or worse, start going on about ‘TOP’s dreamy eyes’ or ‘G-Dragon’s fierce rapping’.

 

“I think your singing is incredible. You can always draw strong, high notes out of any song, as well as bring out the lower register with passion. Your voice is very powerful and distinguishable, but your falsetto is equally amazing, soft yet sturdy, like the notes of a violin. It’s very pretty and nice to listen to.”

 

Youngbae stared at you, completely shocked into silence. He had honestly expected her to at least mention the other members, or just make one polite remark on his singing, but instead…she’d focused her entire attention on him and really made it sound like she’d really well and truly heard his music.

 

Youngbae had never debated dating a fan before, although he didn’t know if you could be classified as that, but even if she was or wasn’t, or if they’d even be anything past friends, he was definitely intent on getting to know somebody who could fully describe his musical abilities and personality within under a minute without having ever met him before.

 

“Hey, so have you got any plans after?” Youngbae asked you before he could even think about chickening out. “Could I possibly buy you a coffee, you know…to make up to you for dragging you all the way out here after that mad chase?” Youngbae smiled hopefully.

 

“Sure, I’d love that.” you nodded appreciatively as she too smiled shyly back at Youngbae. “Sounds great.”

 

A true gentleman, Youngbae offered the crook of his arm for you to slip her arm through so he could guide her to the closest coffee shop, and you knew it was way too early for something like this, and yet she couldn’t help but move in towards him and huddle up to him as though they were a couple. She just felt that Youngbae didn’t mind, at the way that he smiled at her when she moved closer, but instead, that he definitely appreciated it.

 

He may not have been practically married like the other members, but with the way things were looking up, Youngbae thought it was safe to say that he just might have landed himself his first girlfriend.

 


 

Sorry for the wait! How was that? Sorry, but not sequel-ling this. Sequel of a sequel, haha. No. 

 

Out of ideas for this one. Onto the next!

 

Thanks again for reading and see you next time~

 

31stMarch

 

EDIT: I forgot to mention. That's not a foursome taking place in the beginning. Separate conversations, people. Separate.