Prologue

The Elixir of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Prologue

 

 

 

Xianyang, 213 BC

 

Whimpers and groans could be heard from the group of bloodied and tattered prisoners.  Surrounding them as they walked along the darkened forest were a group of soldiers, some riding on horses while others walking on foot, armed in armor and sophisticated weaponry of the time.  In their sleeves were the insignia of the dynasty’s military force.

 

 

Some of the men, especially the old ones, lagged behind once in a while, only to be whipped by chains everytime that happened. 

 

 

An hour of trekking into the forest, faint figures of a group of men, also in armors, could be seen waiting for them, their uniforms muddy and dirty.  A few used shovels were lying near their feet, while torches were carried and hung around to enlighten the area.  There was a huge pit near where the men stood, one big and deep enough to be the base of a building.     

 

 

The leader of the cavalry, the infamous General Shim, dragged the leash of his horse upon seeing them, before dismounting himself from the horse.  

 

 

“General Shim,” the awaiting soldiers knelt.

 

 

“Is it done?” the General curtly inquired.  It was a rhetorical question really, because the deed was clearly done, the giant pit was right there for everyone to see.

 

 

“Yes, sir,” one of them answered anyway.

 

 

The General’s eyes immediately fleeted towards the pit before he inched closer for further inspection.

 

 

Satisfied with what he saw, the General turned to his men and nodded.  At that cue, the soldiers unsheathed their swords and forced the wailing old men into the pit.  There were cries for help and mercy but none was given.  Used to witnessing such scenario, the general stood in his place with two of his aides beside him.

 

 

Some of the prisoners tried to escape, but were kicked back into the hole.  The general observed them with bland, unfeeling eyes.  Even if they did manage to run, they would still die at the end of the day.  They had been fed with a small amount of arsenic before they departed this evening.  This pit would merely serve as a massive gravesite for them.  

 

 

One of the General's most truste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter