chasing pavements.

Chasing Pavements

Jung-Ah had been stuck in bed for months with only Kahi to look after her. Nobody in their small village liked them because they were both girls and married to each other. Jung-Ah was very sick, the two had gone out to see if anyone would help but everywhere they went they were refused. Now Jung-Ah couldn't even get out of bed and it was Kahi's responsibility to make sure she was okay. Kahi knew Jung-Ah's time was limited, they had planned so much together...

 

FLASHBACK

 

"I wanna go somewhere nice.. Like Paris. It's romantic there." Jung-Ah said, playing with Kahi's fingers.

"Maybe we could go all around Europe. There are some really pretty sights there." Kahi said, smiling.

"Eventually I want to explore the world. We can start with Europe. It'll be so much fun, especially with you." Jung-Ah said, resting her head against Kahi's shoulder. "I love you so much. There's nobody else in this world I'd rather be with."

 

MODERN DAY

 

These memories visited Kahi every time Jung-Ah slept. They'd never left their tiny village because just a few weeks after Jung-Ah had fallen ill. Kahi had tried every medicine on her, but nothing seemed to work. As the days passed, Jung-Ah's condition worsened until it got to the point that the moment she woke up Kahi was there waiting on her right until the moment she fell asleep. Kahi rarely slept for more than a few hours, Jung-Ah had trouble with sleep so she was constantly up every hour making sure she was okay. Today was no different. Kahi was awake early tending to her wife.

"I.. I just want to be normal.." Jung-Ah sighed.

"You are normal." Kahi mumbled as she prepared food.

"Normal people aren't in bed for months." Jung-Ah said.

"Do you want to go outside then? I can carry you." Kahi said, looking over at Jung-Ah.

"Aren't you worried that we'll be attacked?" Jung-Ah asked, looking worried.

"I won't let them hurt us." Kahi said, then she gave Jung-Ah her food.

 

A while later, Jung-Ah was wrapped in blankets whilst Kahi carried her outside. Kahi sat Jung-Ah down on the bench outside of their small cottage.

"It's nice out today.." Jung-Ah said, pulling Kahi closer.

Kahi nodded, playing with Jung-Ah's hair. "I wish we could go out more often, even if it's just sitting here.. The fresh air will do you good."

 

That night, Jung-Ah fell asleep quite quickly but Kahi was having problems. She was thinking about the past, all the plans they'd made together that would never happen. She wished that somehow a miracle would occur and her wife would be healthy once again and they could travel the world but she knew that Jung-Ah was beyond saving. She saw the weakness in the younger woman's eyes and she knew that her body was giving up on her slowly. She lay next to Jung-Ah and listened to her breathing. She ended up falling asleep very late. When she woke up in the morning Jung-Ah was gone. She rushed outside.

"JUNG-AH?!" She yelled.

She looked over to the flower garden where a body was lying on the floor.

"Oh god.." She whispered, running over.

It was Jung-Ah, she was very pale but seemed to be smiling. Kahi checked for a pulse, but couldn't find one. She knew that Jung-Ah was gone. That day, Kahi set on building a coffin. She dug a hole next to the flowers and when the coffin was built she put the body inside and lowered the coffin into the hole.

 

SIXTY YEARS LATER.

"Tell us about umma, was she nice?"

"Yes.. She would have been the best umma.."

"What happened to her, appa?"

"She was really ill. You see the stone next to the flowers?"

"Yes, what about that?"

"That's where she's buried. The flowers were her favourite thing."