Up Close

Personal Space
Please log in to read the full chapter

{October 1, 2010}

 

October 1; 10:36PM

Dear J,

I don't know what I did good in my life to have this happen to me. I was even grumpy when I woke up this morning because I only had four hours of sleep. I've traveled last night to our province, and I had to go back to the city because my shift at work starts at seven in the morning. But then, this day turned out better than I had imagined.

Our coach instructed us to listen to the calls of some of the top-performing agents in our company, so that we'll see how they do their job. I was assigned by our beloved coach to 'y-jack' (it's just basically having you share a cable from the telephone, then you and an agent can hear the customer's voice) a particular agent in his work station. Our coach left me standing there behind him, and had me wait until the agent finishes his call with his current customer before connecting the y-jack cable. His headset is firmly placed on his semi-bald head. I'm not a fan of bald and going-there bald guys. I don't have anything against them, but I usually associate hairless males to old  men. I noticed he was wearing a loose checkered shirt, with a pair of black pants and leather shoes. He was wrapping the call up when I saw him fiddling with the connection on his headset. Maybe our coach told him that a trainee would listen to his call. After he said goodbye to his client, he turned around, and voila. I felt like I have to record what would happen next.

"Are you gonna y-jack?", he said to me. I could only nod. He gestured for the cable, and I just handed it to him wordlessly. Right after he connected our headsets together, he smiled, extended his hand, and said, "Kristopher." Before I had the chance to reply and shake his hand, he got another call. I grabbed a chair nearby and positioned it so that I can see the screen he was navigating and at the same time, be close enough to him to hear what he was saying. I didn't know what hit me right there, but suddenly, the noisy me became silent. Well... maybe because I was listening to the call that we had (like, that's true, hahaha).

As he was trying to resolve the problem of the customer on the other line, I couldn't help but notice his facial features that I haven't seen before. I've heard about a boy whose looks had been the talk of my female co-workers, but whenever they would point the person to me, either I was almost always far and can't see his face or there would be something or someone that blocks my view. And there, I am literally inches away from the main character of their talk. His eyes were so round and black that they looked like a baby's. His nose were so perfect models

Please log in to read the full chapter