Silence

Silence

Dr. Han is one of the best orthopedic in one of the famous hospital in Bangkok. He has a daughter name Kim which is unfortunately a mute. Her silence was due to her traumatic experience after she saw her mom hit by a car when she was little, as young as 9 yrs old. Kim is 21yrs old and living alone with her dad ever since her mom passed away, she doesnt have any siblings. 

One day, Kim was injured after playing with her rollerblades, reason for her to be admitted in the same hospital where her dad is working. Her ankle was fractures and she needed to have a therapy for atleast 2weeks in the hospital. Kim doesnt have any friends at all except to her dad and some of the doctors and nurses in the hospital. She communicates with people thru writing on her small notebook. A lot of people at the hospital who doesnt know her often mistaken her as a young boy because of the way she dress. She dress like a boy, her hairstyle is also cut short like boys, and ofcourse, she doesnt speak. 

Her therapy started and she always get bored with it. After therapy session, she always go to the rooftop as this is one of the most peaceful place in the hospital. There she was sitting on an empty bleacher, she grabbed her notebook and started to right random stuff. 

"Another boring day, I hate doing this therapy session. I hope i'm already ok tomorrow. I want to go biking at the park and play with Pepper (her chihuahua)." Kim wrote on her notebook and she sighed as she looked straight to see the all the buildings surrounding the hospital. 

Out of the blue, a girl appeared beside her and flashed a smile. "Enjoying the view huh?" 

Kim squinted on her and looked somewhere else. Who the hell is she? on her thought.

Pie sighed and noticed that there's a crutch resting on the other side of Kim and also noticed the bandage on Kim's ankle. "So you're a patient here? Anyway i'm Pie." she looked at her and offer her hand to have a handshake.

Kim shook her hand and smiled. 

Pie scoffs "Your not gonna talk huh? Are you mute or something?" she irritatedly asked when she didnt answered back.

Kim stared at her seriously and nods. She took her pen and writes on her notebook: "I'm sorry. My name is Kim."

Pie was surprised when she knew that she's a mute. She felt bad about it when she showed her a bit of attitude. "I should be the one to say sorry. I didnt know. But anyway, it's nice to know you Kim." What a handsome boy but unfortunately he's a mute. Pie thought on herself.

That day, when this two person met, they both found someone who knows how to listen whenever there hearts talk. Pie always rants about her therapy. And Kim, always makes her happy by sharing and letting her listene to her recorded piano piece on her ipod. And no matter how long it takes, she tries her best to respond by writing just for Pie to know what's on her mind. 

For Pie, she never had someone on her life that always patiently listen to her and take all he rantings. Her family is always being overprotective on her which most of the time upsets her. 

It's been two weeks since they knew each other, they became open into everything, Pie even accepted Kim knowing that she's a tom without judging her and both of them feels really comfortable with each other. On that day, Kim surprised Pie and showed her that her foot is already ok. 

"Wow, finally you can walk. Im so happy for you Kim!" Pie happily said and she hugged Kim.

Kim was startled and her heart trembles really fast. Pie and Kim locked their stared on each other's eyes. Pie felt something weird on her stomach upto her heart that feels like she will explode anytime soon as they get closer to one another. She wrapped her arms on Kim's neck and rested her forehead in Kim's forehead. 

"Kim? Just listen to me. I know this is weird but for a short period of time, you made it possible for me to feel so secure. I never imagined that i will feel so lightly to be with someone like you. I don't care what you are, for you always makes me feel happy when its always impossible for me to." Pie fondles Kim on her face an stared at her. 

Kim rushedly took her pen and notebook and scribbled. "I love you Pie. Stay with me?"

Pie burst her tears and hugged her. "I'm sorry Kim. I love you but i cant stay with you. Goodbye." Pie wiped her tears and ran away.

Kim left there hanging, wondering and crying. Asking herself what went wrong. She loves me but why say goodbye. She said on her thoughts.


The next day, Kim went to the rooftop and waited for Pie but no one came up. Days and weeks that passed by and Kim patiently waiting for her everyday at the rooftop. From that day that Pie ran away, she never saw her face again, just in the memories that she keeps on reminiscing, their laughters together and the quiet time whenever they listen to music. 

One day, Kim went to her dad's office to use his laptop. She was there googling random stuff over the internet for she is so bored. Her attention was diverted when she noticed the folder placed beside the desk with a name stamped "Pie Mindara". She knows it's her, the Pie who took her heart away. She immediately scanned on what's inside and she found out that she's one of her dad's patient. Her world fell apart and started to cry when she read the diagnosis "Bone cancer patient" and transferred into different hospital. 

Dr. Han went into his office and saw Kim crying while hugging the folder she was browsing earlier. Her dad went near her and wondering what happened. Kim stared at him, she handed the folder  to her dad and took her pen and notebook, she wrote: "Is she your patient? Tell me everything."

Dr. Han nods and sadly explained. "Yes she is. I'm one of her doctor, she have her oncologist and cardiologist too. She's our stage 4 cancer patient and we already transferred her to bigger hospital. Is she you friend?" Dr. Han deeply sighed as Kim nods  with tears on her face. He rested his hand on her shoulder and felt terrible. "Kim, i hate to say this but as a doctor, your friend is dying. And she's not gonna make it. She already knows it." 

Kim couldnt accept the fact about Pie. She ran away carrying her pen and notebook. She took her bike and head to the hospital where she was transferred. 

As she reached the hospital, she asked the nurse receptionist where her room is by writing it on her notebook. The nurse gave her the information on which room and so she went there.


She was standing there, infront of the room. Trying to compose herself as she wipe her tears. She knocked on the door and Pie's mom opened it. Pie was startled and frozen when she saw Kim standing there. She felt really broken inside her but trying not to show it to Kim, she smiled at her. "Come in Kim. Mom?Dad? Can you please give us a moment to talk?" Pie's parents nodded and left them.

"Kim? How?" Pie curiously asked.

Kim wrote: "Why you didnt tell me?"

"I'm sorry Kim. But i think thats the best way to do."

Kim shook her head and started to cry as she rest her other hand on her chest. 

"What are you trying to say Kim?" Pie asked. 

Kim tried to speak but it makes her cry more when she tried to speak but nothing came out. Kim closed her eyes and try it even harder but nothing changed. 

Pie started to cry as she saw Kim standing infront of her trying her best to speak. "Kim, how i wish i could hear you say you love me." 

Kim cry even harder and ran away. 

Pie tried to stop her and shouted her name. "Kim!" she noticed that Kim left her notebook so she took it and started scanning it.


First note: 

"I met someone today. Her name is Pie. I was embarrased that i couldnt even speak to her."

Second note:

"She's really beautiful and kind. And i think we have this unspoken bond. Lol"

Third note:

"She loved my music. I'm so happy."

Fourth note:

"She already knows that i'm a girl but it's ok with her? She wowed me."

She scanned all the pages on her note but what hits her is the last notes on her notebook....


"She left me. I don't know what i did wrong. She was just gone, and i cant get her off my mind. But i hope she is happy no matter where she is. I wish i could tell her what my heart desires. She is my first love. Pie, i'm so sorry if i did something wrong. I hope I could say this to you, but i guess you left me for good. I wanted to tell you that from the moment i met you, i knew you were different from the others. You made me believe in love, you made me realize how it feels like to have butterflies in my stomach and most of all, you made me feel how to be loved. Pie, whereever you are, i wish happiness for you...even if im not the reason anymore. I love you. Those words that i wanted to whisper on your ears but i couldnt....."


Pie started to cry even more as she whispered Kim's name and thinking where she is....


Weeks and weeks gones by and Pie is getting weaker and weaker with Kim on her thoughts holding the notebook that she left.


It was a rainy morning when Pie woked up. Surprisingly, Kim is beside her, smiling at her. Pie touched her face to make sure she's not dreaming. Pie smiled when she realized she wasnt dreaming. Kim fondles her face and Pie kissed her hand.

"It's so nice to see your face first thing in the morning. I thought i will never see you." Pie said as she smile.

Kim went nearer to her face and kissed her forehead. 

Pie's tears steamed down on her face. "You have no idea how happy i am. I wanted to give up but God gave me this one last day on purpose, that is to see you before i go. I can die now peacefully."

Kim shook her head and started to speak. "No. God gave you another day to hear me say this words." she whispered to her ears. "I love you so much Pie. I trully and deeply love you." 

Pie cried as soon as she heard those word coming out from Kim. Kim hugged her so much and kissed her on her lips. 

"Pie, ever since you ran away, i tried my very best to unmute myself. But i do apologize if it took that long." 

"Kim, i'm happy. I love you.  I have no regrets that you're the one whom i gave my last love to. I'm sorry if couldn't stay Kim."

"Pie, you couldnt be physically with me, but i do assure you that you're always with me here in my heart." 

"I'm so sorry Kim. I wish i wasnt sick so i could take care of you."

"This happened for a reason Pie. I have no regrets although i wanted to be with you forever. And on that everyday of forever, i will make you happy, no, the happiest girl ever." 

Pie kissed her on her lips and hugged her. "Kim, i'm glad you came. You made me the happiest already by making forever on my numbered days. I will never forget you as you are the last person i held hands with and exchanged "I love you" with. Your the last person whom i loved and who loved me....."


On that day when she left me physically, i have always carried her here in my heart. And i do believe that whenever i stare at the blue sky, i know she's there, staring and smiling at me. The girl who accepted me for who i am not and loved me until her very last breath, is my one true love. She is Pie, my first love....