final

In Character

 

The fast-paced music slowed down to a quieter beat, their energetic movements exchanged for slower-paced gestures.

 

 

 

 

“I can’t even say anything... I’m too embarassed...”

 

 

 

 

Her head slightly tilted to the side, the brunette brushed at her temple with her finger shyly, slowly stepping to the front of the stage. A coy smile played at her lips as the words rolled off her tongue smoothly, a shorter girl emerging from behind her in time with the harmonic voices of the 9 girls.

 

 

 

 

Her eyes were glued to the screen, or more accurately, Kwon Yuri, as an upbeat melody hummed softly from the appliance, filling the otherwise silent room. She looked almost longingly at the performer on the screen, captivated by her every gesture, from the slight crinkling of the sides of her eyes as she smiled, to the way her gifted figure moved in time with the beat as the spotlight shined on her. To the lady with her legs draped across the armrest of the sofa, being the slightest bit alike with the idol was almost unreachable. She reached out and settled for something closer, namely the remote sitting on the coffee table beside her, as she clicked away, the room now filled with bits of random dialogues and the occasional gaps of silence in between. Settling on a variety show, her lips curved into a bitter, crooked smile as the camera zoomed in on one of the idols as she smiled brightly, an expression that never seemed to leave her face.

 

 

 

 

“No, I had no idea.”

 

 

 

 

The familiar lady held a hand up to her face as she giggled, nodding slowly. The hosts continued to question the pair as the male celebrity got more nervous by the second, the slightest tinge of pink on his cheeks.

 

 

 

 

I don't think my heart was strong enough for that show. Hah. How ironic.

 

 

 

 

She cringed as the dreaded online player started to be screened on the television, silently impressed how convincingly bright of a personality she managed to create for herself. Cocking her head to the side, the melancholic lady stared silently as the female idol squirmed in her seat, exuding charming shyness as if she wasn’t already attractive enough. Throughout the rest of the day, the idol continued to haunt the envious woman with her overflowing charisma, on-stage and off-stage, as well as her amazing personality. Not surprisingly, the way her hair framed her face perfectly did not faze the onlooker at all, nor did the idol’s figure impress her in the least. For as she stood beneath the dim light, staring into the framed piece of glass, she saw it herself. Her eyes travelled up to meet the familiar brown orbs that shone whenever they caught sight of a camera on-stage, blinking in time with the pair as they stared back at her.

 

 

 

 

She wondered silently how Kwon Yuri did it. Being able to walk amongst lines of reporters and still keep her head held high, with an air of confidence anchored by her down-to-earth personality. The thought of having the ability to continuously brush off any criticism with an acknowledging nod and a promise to be better impressed her as she looked into her own worn out eyes. She was nothing like Girls’ Generation’s Kwon Yuri.

 

 

 

 

The self-conscious lady broke away from her sympathetic gaze, her eyes drawn to the cold, hard floor.

 

 

 

 

Isn’t everything a lie?

 

 

 

 

“Let’s have Yuri go first!” he clapped his hands together decisively.

 

 

 

 

Yuri raised her eyebrows, surprised, her eyes darting back and forth from the cameras to the host.

 

 

 

 

“You’re the guest after all...” he continued, insisting that they start the game off with her.

 

 

 

 

She protested weakly, the smile on her face faltering, as the hosts continuously pressed for her to go first. The brunette silently gulped, the smile on her face becoming forced as the hosts shuffled around in line beside her, their exchanged looks going unnoticed.

 

 

 

 

The staff member dropped the cover to the floor, revealing the first puzzle. She put her hands up instantly, imitating a mannequin as the hosts blurted out the answer almost instantly, making her squeal a little in victory, rushing to the end of the line. She felt herself grin widely as she regained her confidence, replacing it with determination as the game progressed.

 

 

 

 

I can’t lose. I won’t lose. What will the fans think?

 

 

 

 

She let slip an expression of disbelief as the last question was revealed. She impulsively blurted out facts about ceramic potsthose darn, wretched potsgrowing increasingly frustrated as more wrong guesses continued to be yelled out. Despite her adamant denials, the bell rang out with a resounding buzz making her stomp her foot slightly in frustration, whining cutely.

 

 

 

 

I didn’t try hard enough.

 

 

 

 

“Why are you blaming me?” she quaked, offended as the older man groaned disappointedly.

 

 

 

 

She scrunched her eyebrows together, her smile never leaving her face though it faltered slightly. She continued to pout amidst their encouraging cheers, still slightly offended and frustrated.

 

 

 

 

The bell buzzed for the third and last time making the tanned idol fall to the ground in frustration covering her face to hide her teary eyes.

 

 

 

 

What will the netizens say?

 

 

 

 

The tears spilled out of her eyes unconsciously as she squatted on the ground, the hosts quickly circling her in a panic. She dabbed at her tear-stained cheeks as the commotion settled down, listening earnestly to the director as he barked some directions at the staff. The hosts clapped happily as they went forward to retrieve their prize, leaving the brunette confused and shocked.

 

 

 

 

How foolish.

 

 

 

 

She broke out into a wide grin, softly hitting the hosts in anger as she whined cutely. Her stomach turned uneasily as she resisted the urge to fidget, notably pointing the cameras out to herself.

 

 

 

 

You're on TV.

 

 

 

 

The two pairs of half-lidded eyes widened with a jolt as a shrill, repetitive melody filled the room, accompanied by a dull buzzing as the device vibrated against the table top. Snatching it up, the distracted lady tucked some loose strands behind her ear, bringing the phone against the side of her face.

 

 

 

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

 

 

 

“Ne, annyeonghaseyo. Are you Girls’ Generation’s Yuri?”

 

 

 

 

Am I?

 

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 


 

 

A gust of wind blew past the sidewalk, slightly ruffling Yuri’s hair as it clung to her face. She lifted a single finger to sweep the stray strands back into place, a small smile playing on her lips as the cameraman recorded her every move. Absentmindedly nibbling on her lower lip, Yuri rocked back and forth on her heels, genuinely nervous and yet excited. Her eyes traced the cracks on the floor as they branched out in random directions in the cement, mirroring her thoughts about the show.

 

 

 

 

It takes a stupid show to get me a guy.

 

 

 

 

By a sick twist of fate, she was now married to a man. Well, on-screen that is. A living, breathing male human being whom she would have to regularly spend time with for the next few months. Recalling the youngest’s experiences during the show, she felt her cheeks warm up considerably in silent distress.

 

 

 

 

What am I supposed to do...

 

 


 


“I have to say. You’re not quite like how I thought you would be, Yuri-sshi...”

 

 

 

 

She held back a bitter smile, settling for a crinkle of her nose.

 

 

 


That’s not a surprise.