Final~

Promise

Himchan’s eyes widen upon hearing that. He opens his mouth, wants to deny it, but nothing escape from it. The girl who asks the question waits for his answer impatiently.

“So?” asked the girl, chewing her cheeks.

Himchan bites his lower lips. “I-” He looked at everywhere as if the answer is neared him.

And yes. The answer really is not far from him.

When he has spotted his maybe-still-best friend, Himchan quickly runs to Yongguk, leaving the girl pouting, still craving for the answer.

“Yongguk!” Himchan shouts.

Usually, he’ll smile or grin as if he’s mad, but this time, his lips are only a straight line.

Yongguk turns his head when he hears Himchan calling his name. His body seems tensed. He turns back, back-facing Himchan. He doesn’t want to see the younger right now, but still, he doesn’t run away from him.

Why?

Because, he still loves Himchan.

Without Himchan, he’ll not be well-known in this school – although he’s in his third year.

Without him, pupils in this school would never notice him – as if he’s a ghost.

“Yongguk,” Himchan grabs the said guy’s arm.

Yongguk still doesn’t look at Himchan. Instead, he counts the floor tiles.

“Yongguk, looks at me please.” Himchan pleads.

Himchan is the school’s prince. All things he do are watched by everyone in the school – including his plead before.

But, Himchan was not embarrassed at all because what in his mind is only about Yongguk.

Himchan doesn’t wants his only best friend leave him. Yes, he is a school’s prince and very well-known, but it doesn’t mean that he has many friends. Many pupils want to be his friend, but he doesn’t want them to be his because he knows they want to be his friend just because they want his popularity and treasure. Yongguk is the only one who doesn’t care about those useless things. That’s why Yongguk is only Himchan’s friend.

Yongguk slowly lifts his head to look at Himchan. His heart hurts when he sees Himchan’s face.

Himchan’s face is messy and wet because of his tears that keep rolling down on his cheeks. He cries too much that his eyes become red and puffy.

Yongguk bawls his fists. He really doesn’t want to see Himchan like this, that’s why he avoids Himchan.

Am I doing the right thing? If I do, then why Himchan is crying? thought Yongguk.

“I-is it true that y-you don’t want to be m-my friend anymore?” Himchan asks. He stares into Yongguk’s black pupils.

Yongguk wants to shake his head, but remembering his promise to Himchan’s mum makes he does the opposite.

“Lie! It’s a lie!” Himchan shouts. “Tell me, Yongguk! Please do tell me that you’re lying! Tell me that it’s not true!”

Yongguk hangs his head low. He also wants to cry now, but he tries his best not to let his tears fall down.

“You want Himchan to be happy, right?” asked Himchan’s mum.

Yongguk nodded slowly. He doesn’t dare to look at her eyes because he knows she’s all but likes him.

Himchan’s mum’s lips curves into a smile.

“Leave my son.”

Yongguk immediately looks at her even though he’s so scared of her.

“This is for my son’s sake. Leave him. He’s supposed to marry with a rich girl, but he refused to. He said that he would only get married when you’re happy with someone other than him.”

Yongguk’s eyes widen hearing that. He knows that Himchan doesn’t want to marry, but he doesn’t expect his reason is that.

“I don’t know what my son actually sees in a thrash like you. I don’t mind that he doesn’t want to marry the girls I choose, but what I care is, he rejects all of them just because of you, a boy who is poorer than my maids!”

Yongguk is taken aback with those bullet-like sentences. He gets mad, but he couldn’t shout at her back because what she said is the truth – he’s a poor guy, and he doesn’t deserve someone as Himchan. Himchan should have a rich person as his friend, instead of this poor, pity guy.

“Promise me that you’ll leave Himchan.”

Yongguk nods a bit. I’m doing the right thing. It’s for Himchan, anyways.

“I promise.” Himchan’s mum smirked.

“I’m not lying, Himchan. I don’t want to be your friend anymore because you’re so annoying! Do you know that my ears hurt whenever you babbling or whined about your endless problems?”

Himchan shakes his head slowly. No. Stop it.

“And when you do aegyo, do you think it’s cute? Eww, you’re a male – it’s so grossing. What are you? A gay freak?” Yongguk makes a disgusted face.

Stop it.

“That’s why you don’t have any friend except me. Ahh – wait, I’m not your friend anymore, so scratch that. That’s why you didn’t have any friend. Yep – the sentence is right now.”

Stop it.

“Goodbye, Himchan.” Yongguk smiles, acting like he’s so happy, but the truth is, he’s dying inside.

“Wait.” Himchan says slowly, but Yongguk still could hear it.

Himchan walks to the rooftop and orders Yongguk to follow him. Yongguk obeys. Himchan stands near the place where once you took a step, you’ll fall.

Yongguk is so shocked seeing Himchan standing at there, but he hides it.

“Do you still remember our promise when we were children before?” Himchan suddenly asks.

As if the memory is a video, it plays in their mind.

“Gukkie~!” Little Himchan runs to little Yongguk who is playing with plushie.

“What?” asked Yongguk. His eyes still don’t leave his Matoki.

Himchan pouts. He secretly glares at the doll. ‘How dare you snatch my Gukkie away from me?’ shouted him in his heart.

He wants his Yongguk’s attention only on him – he doesn’t want to share it with everyone or anything. For him, Yongguk is his and only his.

“Gukkie~” Himchan whines.

Yongguk just hums as the reply.

“Gukkie~”

No answer.

Himchan gets angry. He snatches the plushie away from Yongguk and throws it to the corner of the room.

Yongguk who doesn’t understand why Himchan throws his Matoki, cries loudly. Himchan becomes panick. He brings Yongguk into his hug and pats Yongguk’s back and sings some lullaby to Yongguk.

Yongguk’s cry stops and that makes Himchan really relieved. Himchan pulls the hug and brings his pinky in front of Yongguk’s face.

“What?” asked the older.

Himchan grins widely. “Promise me that you’ll never leave me – we’ll always be together no matter what happened.”

Yongguk doesn’t understand, but eventually, he links his pinkie around Himchan’s.

“Promise?” said Yongguk, unsure if he’s doing the right thing.

Himchan hugs Yongguk tightly. “I love you.”

That day, Yongguk needs be sent to hospital because his rib bone crushes a bit due to the tight hug that Himchan gave to him. The doctor, who treats Yongguk, is surprised that Yongguk still could life normally. Normally, people would have a problem to breathe or other problem – but he doesn’t have any of them.

“It’s because of my love to Yongguk that makes he doesn’t feel hurt at all.” Himchan replies when the doctor asked him (since he’s Yongguk’s best friend).

“What’s wrong with it?” Yongguk raises one of his brows.

Himchan is back-facing Yongguk because he doesn’t want Yongguk to know that he’s crying.

“So no one loves me then.” Himchan chuckles even though there’s nothing to be laughed. “Yongguk,”

“What?”

“I’m sorry.”

“What for?”

“For breaking the promise,” Himchan looks at Yongguk over his shoulder. “Saranghae, Bang Yongguk.” He says, low enough for the latter’s to hear it, and smiled before taking a step and fall.

Yongguk doesn’t move. His feet are like they get nailed at the place where he stood. Slowly, he kneels down and cries.

“Promise me that you’ll never leave me – we’ll always be together no matter what happened.”

“It’s because of my love to Yongguk that makes he doesn’t feel hurt at all.”

“I’m sorry… for breaking the promise.”

“Saranghae, Bang Yongguk.”

Those sentences keep playing in Yongguk’s mind. More tears roll down on his cheeks. He looks at the place where Himchan stood before. He stands up and walks to the place.

My promise with Himchan’s mum and my promise with Himchan,

Yongguk looks down. There’s Himchan’s body down there. A pool of blood is near Himchan’s head.

I’m sorry, Madam Kim – for not keeping our promise.

Yongguk takes a step. His body is falling down to the ground.

Himchan… I’ll keep that promise until the world ends.

Yongguk closes his eyes.

And nado saranghae, Kim Himchan.

At last, Yongguk’s body falls to the ground. The pupils who see that are shocked, but what shocked them the most is that Yongguk’s body falls beside Himchan’s and Yongguk’s hand was on top of his best friend’s.

We’re best friends, and we’ll always be ones, forever.

 


 

*hides my face in a sack* I’m sorry for the fail angst! Please forgive me! And I hope you don't get confused. ><"

Btw, thanks for those who subscribe this story.

Comment and up vote please~ :)

LOLs,

hush_windy