It's Finally Come to This

You Don't Know What You Have

Word Count: ~1.4 k

 

He stared at the half-drank coffee mug in front of him and sighed again. It was cold by now as he had been staring at it intently for the past hour, a sigh escaping from his lips about once every five minutes. Kyungsoo hated seeing his best friend like this.

“Do you want to talk about this,” Kyungsoo asked slowly when he came back to their shared flat after classes at the university to find Jongin once again staring dismally at the mug. It happened about once a month. Jongin would find out that his boyfriend was banging someone behind his back and would spend the rest of the day moping around the apartment instead of going to class at university and having to face Sehun. After his day off, Jongin would confront Sehun about it but Sehun would always apologise and Jongin always forgave him.

“Jongin shook his head slowly in response to Kyungsoo’s question.

“I think you need to talk about it. You two really have a problem,” Kyungsoo stated flatly. “It’s ridiculous that it’s happened again,” he continued. “Do you realise what this does to you, how bad you look after it happens? You look sickly and I worry about you…”

“I don’t need your sympathy,” Jongin snapped, looking up to meet Kyungsoo’s worried gaze with an indignant one.

“You don’t need Sehun either,” Kyungsoo retorted, gaze hardening.

“Shut up! You don’t know him like I do!”

“I know him well enough!”

“It isn’t his fault!”

“It isn’t? It isn’t his fault that he’s banging boys left and right behind your back?”

“You just don’t understand.”

“What don't I understand?”

“He really does love me!” Jongin cried.

“He has a funny way of showing it then,” Kyungsoo snapped. He didn’t mean to be this harsh on his best friend, but at the same time, he hated seeing Jongin like this, moping about the flat looking deflated and depressed. “Look at what this relationship is doing to you,” he tried to say more gently.

“It isn’t doing anything to me!”

“Oh no. Taking this moping days once a month or every time you hear about him banging guys is perfectly healthy and normal. Who was the last one again? The Chinese kid, Tao?” Kyungsoo huffed in frustration.

Jongin winced as though he had been hit with more than simple words and the truth of the predicament.

“You know what? I’ll stay out of this. Destroy yourself! See if I care!” Kyungsoo stormed out of the room and slammed and locked the door before collapsing onto the bed and crying his eyes out.

He cared. He cared a lot, a lot more than he would like to admit, certainly. He liked Jongin and never wanted him to experience heartbreak. It was more than a feeling of protecting a friend or brother but he couldn’t quite identify it. Whenever Jongin was betrayed by that of a boyfriend, Sehun, Kyungsoo felt the hurt and he wanted to wring the sorry little ’s neck. The only thing stopping him from doing so was Jongin.

Kyungsoo screamed into a pillow, hitting high notes he didn’t realise he was capable of hitting until now, until he was in a fight with his best friend. After five minutes of screaming and an hour of crying, he fell asleep.

Jongin was crying too. His best friend had just left him because he refused to see reason. Deep down, he knew Kyungsoo was right but he was madly in love with Sehun even if Sehun was banging people left and right. He couldn’t explain the love or why the betrayal didn’t cause him to call it off, he just couldn’t, but now he had to choose between Kyungsoo and Sehun. He had to choose between the friend who had been with him for almost as long as he could remember and the boyfriend he was fairly sure that he would die for.

Jongin’s phone pinged indicated a text from Sehun.

“Listen Jongin. I think we need to talk. Do you want to come over here or should I come over there?”

“You can come over here.” He replied quickly.

“See you in 15 then.”

Jongin stared at his phone. There were two possible reasons that Sehun would want to talk to him right now. Sehun could be coming to apologise for infidelity or he could be coming to finally break things off, having found someone better than Jongin. That’s just how the boy worked. He gave Jongin a disclaimer at the beginning of their relationship that he might leave Jongin broken-hearted in the end but didn’t explain any further than that. He just said that if Jongin was willing to put his heart on the line then they could date.

“Hi Jongin,” Sehun said as emotionlessly as ever. Jongin could never tell what that boy was ever thinking because he had a make of indifference that Jongin had never quite cracked.

“He Sehun,” Jongin replied awkwardly, inviting him into the flat.

“I’ll get straight to the point here,” he began. “I met someone else. I said that if you wanted to risk dating me, you would have to deal with the heartbreak at the end. This is it. Don’t take it too personally, you’re a great guy and whomever you end up with will be really lucky, you’re just not the one for me,” he continued. “Luhan was a great guy before you and Baekhyun before him. You are all great,” he explained emotionlessly. Jongin had never heard any emotion in the soft voice when he talked about past relationships or anything until now. He hadn’t even had any emotion in his voice when they first met.

“I met this boy in a coffee shop last week, Yixing. He’s from China, from what he tells me.” His voice softened as he spoke and something close to affection crept into his voice. “He’s a singer and performer but for some reason he is studying here. Even though his accent can be difficult to understand at times, it’s cute.” Sehun trailed off, voice expressing more and more emotion as he talked. Jongin felt total envy for this Yixing person, the first person to actually unlock Sehun’s cold heart. Jongin wished he could have been that person but he just wasn’t.

“That’s great. I’m glad you’ve finally found someone,” Jongin replied, smiling as genuinely as he could, despite the feeling that his heart was being ripped out of his chest and being burned right in front of his eyes. It wasn’t a lie, but it wasn’t the whole truth either.

“Huh? You’re really cool about this. I remember Baekhyun screaming at me when I left him for Luhan. Luhan cried when I left him for you,” he said, voice devoid of emotion once again.

“I just want you to be happy, even if it isn’t with me,” Jongin replied with all of the composure he could. One thing that Jongin could do was pull all of his personal emotions out and put up a perfect façade. “It seems like this Yixing guy might actually be ‘the one’ for you. I hope he is and that the two of you are happy.

“Thanks Jongin,” Sehun replied slowly. There was a pause before Sehun said something again. “Well, I guess I should be going.” He added as an afterthought, “I hope we can still be friends.”

“Of course,” Jongin replied.

“I’ll text you later then.” He left, closing the door quietly after himself and Jongin was able to drop the façade he had been wearing for the entire conversation. He sat down on the sofa, hugging his knees to his chest. Before he knew it, his vision was swimming and he could feel hot tears dripping down his face. It wasn’t like he wasn’t expecting it to happen sooner or later, but it stung all the same.

He wanted to cry on Kyungsoo’s shoulder like he always did when Sehun did something like this but that wasn’t an option anymore as Kyungsoo had stormed out of the room seeming like he didn’t want to have anything to do with Jongin anymore. Sobs racked his body and a never-ending stream of tears flowed from his eyes.

He tipped over and flopped face-down on a pillow. His phone on the table buzzed with the sound that up until now made his heart flutter with excitement. Now it just made his heart sink. He didn’t want to read what Sehun had sent him and honestly doubted he could read it through all of the tears anyways.

 

A/N: A cute little 3-shot? I love SeKai and yet I'm shooting it in the foot. Don't ask me why. Also love KaiSoo but not as much.