You enchant me

Dancer Guy

He was in the abandoned area of the school, in the old dance room and was standing in the middle of the floor.  He began drumming his fingers to the beat coming from his little music box and he began shifting from his right leg to his left leg as though agitated by something. Suddenly a rough beat came on and with an electrifying start he started to move. His feet seemed to glide across the floor as though it was made of water and he was walking on it. His sharp turns and abrupt jerks were complimented by gentle body twirls.

Watching him was enchanting. It was like watching something that the gods forbade anyone to watch because of the magic that flowed from the dancer. He was captivating. I wasn’t even aware that I had stopped breathing. It was as though when he danced he held the authority over everything in the room. Even me. I was aware that he knew I was there. His eyes caught mine from the mirror in front of him. Obviously he saw my reflection. He twisted his body and ended up facing me. Embarrassed to be caught staring I muttered a lousy apology and began walking away.

The next day at lunch I sat with my friends and pretended to listen to their conversation but my mind was stuck in the day before. I could only relish in the memory of that moment. I heard someone call my name but it seemed so faint, as if I was standing at the end of a tunnel and the person calling my name was at the other end.

“Siyeon!” the person called and I was brought back to reality by someone poking my shoulder. “Stop spacing out. Are you up for a trip to the mall this afternoon?” my friend asked. I was about to say ‘sure’ but then as I looked up I saw the dancer from yesterday. He was sitting with his friends. They were a loud bunch but he was silent. He had a stoic expression on his face. My breath hitched in my throat. A ghost of a smile etched upon his face as he listened to the conversation. As though the wind whispered it to him that I was watching him, his eyes flicked towards my table and caught sight of me. I lowered my eyes and a heavy blush took over my cheeks. That made the second time he caught me staring at him. I couldn’t help it. He was captivating and yet I didn’t know his name.

I turned to face my friend and realised that I didn’t give her an answer yet. I was about to say yes once again but then I thought of something. What if he went back to the dance room this afternoon. Something in me compelled me to be there and make sure. “Sorry guys but I’m busy this afternoon,” I lied. Well kind of lied. My friends resumed whatever it was they were talking about but my mind was stuck on the dancer. Just what was his name?

My friend poked me again and pointed to his table. “See that table Yeon?” she asked, which was a dumb question in my mind. “Those three guys transferred here two weeks ago and apparently they’re close friends of D.O and Chanyeol’s. The baby faced one is Luhan. He’s in my English class. I don’t know who the other two are though.” My heart wanted to leap across acres of land. My friend didn’t know the dancer’s name which was a bit disappointing but nonetheless that’s what made him a mystery. I hadn’t seen him in any of my classes.

The rest of the day passed by in a bore until my last class. I was sent to the principal’s office to deliver a letter. My eyes were looking at the floor because it was an empty corridor and I was seeing the dancer dance in my head. I was so preoccupied that I hadn’t noticed someone running and then all I could feel was pain as my back hit the floor. I scrambled to pick myself up and the letter and muttered “I’m sorry” before moving out of the way when I looked up only to freeze in shock. Dancer guy had bumped into me. He was about a foot taller than me. He looked down at me and rubbed the back of his neck.

“Hn, it was my fault. You’re not hurt are you?” he said. I was about to melt from his voice.

“No. I’m fine.” I said and walked away. When I was a safe distance away from him I slammed my head into a locker. “Stupid, stupid, stupid. You could’ve at least asked his name.” I silently scolded myself.

That afternoon I made sure my friends had all left for the mall before making a beeline for the abandoned part of our school. I heard it again. The beats coming from the room. It was stronger this time. Faster and harder. When I reached he had already started. Once again I was captivated. His hair moved with his every move. I could see little pinpricks of sweat. I hid myself so he wouldn’t see me or so I had hoped. His leg movements accented with his precise hand movements sent me spiralling to dream land. It was so calming. As ironic as it was with him dancing to rough and violent beats he seemed so fluid and calming. Every movement was lucid and clear. I was so mesmerised that I didn’t even notice the music had stopped. I seemed to be doing a lot of that lately. I heard the beats in my head so I believed the music was still blasting. Two fingers appeared in front of me and the hand snapped the fingers twice and brought me back to reality. Confused, I looked at the hand and then traced it back to the owner. My eyes widened and I fell off the chair I had hidden in.

“Why are you here.....again?” he said after pausing.

“I...umm...I lost something here yesterday.”

“Oh really now?” he sceptically asked. “And it so happened to be in this chair and you were really engrossed into looking for it. I mean that’s why your eyes were glued to me the whole time right?” He began smirking.

“Umm I actually found it and then I sat down for a bit and saw you dancing so I just watched on.” I haughtily said. He raised his eyebrows and went back to gather his stuff. Before he walked out of the room he glanced back at me and opened his mouth to say something but decided against it. He made a motion with his head as if saying ‘let’s go’ and when I didn’t respond he took off. While all this was happening my heart was palpitating and I could’ve sworn he heard it.

I could hardly eat my dinner that night and my father noticed but didn’t say anything. I caught him muttering “hormones” to my mom before I dashed out of the dining room. I kept remembering his silky voice and rapid dancing skills. My brain didn’t focus on my homework and not even a shower calmed me down. I couldn’t even sleep and when I did fall asleep I dreamt of a faceless guy dancing with breathtaking steps. My subconscious knew it was him.

The next day at school i hid behind my locker and stole glimpses of him. He was making me feel like my insides were taken over with butterflies. Dancer guy saw me and immediately the boredom in his eyes evaporated and they were filled with amusement. I quickly turned away and my head slammed my locker mate’s locker door shut. “Hey thanks Siyeon” he said and walked away. I rubbed my forehead and I saw Dancer guy laughing. My face was beet red when I entered class. Everyone stared at me when my teacher asked me a question and I couldn’t answer. I had spaced out again. I tugged at my hair in frustration. It was lunch time once again. Dancer guy was there at his table. I quickly averted my gaze so he wouldn’t catch me staring...again. I heard my friends chatter and laugh but I was too busy stealing secretive glances at Dancer guy. I was doing a pretty bad job because when I tried to look at him again he was staring right at me. I suddenly ducked my head under the table and when I rose up I hit it on the table’s edge. Oh how I wanted to strangle something right now because he saw it and laughed.

So I may come off as a stalker but I needed to see him dance again. That very same afternoon I made it my mission to find his name out. After school I headed to the old dance room again. He hadn’t started as yet. I made sure to hide myself properly this time....in a cupboard. Remind me why I thought that was a good spot? Anyway, he didn’t notice anything and once again began dancing but this time I was completely shocked at the dance selection. It was a slow, soft piece. The dancing was like a hug.

His movements this time were sharp and precise yet gentle enough to calm a raging sea. His entire being moved in sync with the soft beat and his turns were alluringly y. I felt something tickling my nose. ‘Oh no’ i thought. The cupboard was dusty and i was coated in dust. Why didn’t I notice it before? My nose began to act up and before i could attempt to hold it back I sneezed.

Silence. That was what I heard. He turned off the music. I couldn’t even react when I erupted into a sneezing fit. I had to get out of there after all I was busted anyway. My body tumbled out of the cupboard, my chest heaving with sneezes. I saw him through blurred eyes. He was staring at me.

“Hey, you ok?”

“*sneeze “Yes I’m *sneeze* fine*sneeze*” Oh how I wanted to die from embarrassment. He kneeled before me and gave me his unopened water bottle. “Thanks.”

I drank and the sneezing ceased a bit. Up close I could see how dark brown his eyes were. He looked at me with a questioning gaze. “Lost something in the closet?”

“Yes, my dignity,” I muttered before saying “ummm yea I ummmm yea” but he had already heard the first piece. His face at first bore no emotion but slowly a smile overcame his features what began as chuckling turned into loud laughter.

“Well Miss. Clumsy, just in case you know, you lose something else here and come looking for it tomorrow I won’t be here.”I rubbed the back of my neck and got up. I left the dance room with him wearing a playful expression on his face. I didn’t even get to complete my mission of finding out his name.

The next day came and i was a bit depressed. Ok, no, I was REALLY depressed that I wouldn’t see his dancing. I snapped at my friends and ate lunch by myself under the tree outside. I didn’t want to see Dancer guy. The end of the school day came around and i contemplated going home. Something told me to stay back and go to the dance room and I did just that.

He wasn’t there. Just like he said. Sighing I walked to the middle of the room where he always was and sat there Indian style. I was frustrated. I had become addicted to his dancing. I groaned and lied down and closed my eyes imagining him.

“What did you lose this time? Yourself?” a voice said as the owner lied beside me and stared up at the ceiling. I jumped in surprise.

“Wh...wha...what are you doing here?”

“Can’t I be here?”

“B..b...but you said...”

He grinned at me.” I wanted to come so I came.”

“Okay then,” I said in an unsure voice. “Well why aren’t you dancing?”

“Would you like me to step on you?”

“Huh?”

“You’re in the middle of the floor. How am I supposed to dance when you’re there?”

“Oh,” I said stupidly.

“Oh indeed.”

“Hey answer me, why are you always here?” he asked. I felt heat rising to my face.

“I lost –“

“Don’t give me the I-lost-something- crap Miss Clumsy.”

“I...I like your dancing” I whispered.

He stared at me for what seemed like eons before breaking out into a smile. His eyes formed crescents. “That’s cute,” he said and pinched my cheeks. “But, why do you like my dancing so much?”

“Because you...well...it’s...ummm mesmerizing,” I muttered, my face burning with embarrassment. “By the way Dancer guy, my name is Sieyon,” I huffed.

“I guess I’ll be seeing more of you then Siyeon, just in case you would like to know I’ll be here almost every day for the year” he smiled and paused before adding “and I’m not ‘Dancer guy’ either. My name is Oh Sehun.”