Proposal

Proposal

He loves me more than I love myself. 
He stayed by me even when I push him away. 
He tells me cold jokes to lift my spirits when I feel down. 
He likes to play with my hair, experimenting with them, trying sorts of hairstyles on my head. 
He brings me on simple dates like going for movies and dinner. 
He pouts when he can't get what he wants. 
His hug radiates warmth and makes me crave for more. 
His kisses, soft and never too rush. 
He likes to sing in the shower and pretend that he's holding a concert. 
He is silly. 
He is almost perfect. 
And most importantly, he accepts me for who I am. 

He is my boyfriend, Do Kyung Soo. 

We've been dating for 4 years now. Despite our occasional quarrels, we were almost inseparable. 

Today marks our fifth year together. To celebrate our anniversary, he told me he had to go overseas. We went to the airport early in the morning. I sent him off with a hug and a peck on his cheek. 

"Jagi, mian." He said as he pecked my forehead. "My dad wants me to help him with his work. I'll be back soon alright!" 

"I understand. Be safe. I'll just spend the day with Minki." I gave him one last tight hug before he leave. 

"I know. You always go out with her when I'm not around." He smiled. "Bye Jaehee. Take care. I love you." 

"I love you too. Be safe." I waved as he disappeared into the departure hall. 

The moment I made sure he's safely inside, I gave Minki a call. 

"Minnie unnie, are you free tonight?" 


"I'm going ice skating with oppa, wanna tag along? I was about to ask you! I'm going to call more people to go too!" She sounded way too excited. I should have gotten used to it, since she's perpetually this high. 


"Who? I thought you've never ice skated before?" I guess I shouldn't tag along if there's people I don't know. 


"Yna unnie, Yara unnie, Eluna and Hyomin. The usual! And yes, but Luhan says he'll teach me!" Relieved that Minki was planning to ask the girls out, I agreed immediately.

 


 

I thought that Minki was the only one who brought her boyfriend over. Turns out, I was wrong. When I met them at the rink later that night, I found out that I was the only one without a partner. 

I sat on the viewing seats while waiting for them, well, I arrived 10 minutes before the meeting time. I questioned myself for the umpteenth time. I must either be crazy or too desperate for company because I'm still a when it comes to ice skating. I figured that there's a first for everything and since there were other beginners, someone would teach me. 


Minki arrived first, hand-in-hand with Luhan. She was wearing a plain tee shirt and a pair of pink skinnies, he was wearing a plain tee shirt and a pair of blue skinnies. Great, now I feel even lonelier thanks to their couple coordination.

Yna came next, together with Jongdae. There was a slight distance between them, she seemed angry for some reason, but I can't put my finger on what was it. Even though both of them were dressed very differently, they wore matching colours. Ugh, another pair.

The last 3 pairs came together. Woohyun had his arms slung over Yara's neck and well, Hyomin and Hoya were holding hands as usual. Eluna and Lay had their arms hooked together. At least all 3 couples weren't wearing couple coordi, otherwise, I don't think I would enjoy the night without feeling lonely.

I can't help but blame Kyungsoo for this. He had to leave on our anniversary. This . I kept telling myself that he has a reason for leaving but I just can't convince myself. I guess I have to put up with the loneliness for tonight. 

 



We put on our skates and got ready for the session. The entire time the couples were busy with helping each other out, effectively leaving me alone. Well, except for one person. Yna keeps ignoring Jongdae. When I asked why, she refused to answer me, brushing me off by saying "it's complicated". 

 



I was struggling when I first got on the rink. Thank goodness Yna was beside me, slowly helping me out. The rest were relatively okay at iceskating. From a distance, I could see Minki desperately holding on to Luhan's hands. As for Hyomin and Hoya, they seemed like they were playing catch. Both of them skated past little children, couples, groups of friends and singles at the speed of light. As for Woohyun and Yara, they were enjoying their time in their little world. Lay was teaching Eluna how to ice skate too. He had extended his arms for her to hold onto from time to time. Then there's Jongdae. He skated from one couple to the next, like a lost and abandoned sheep. I wonder what happened between the two of them though. 

 



I finally got the hang of it. Occasionally, I would lose my balance and stumble a little. Yna was skating not far ahead of me, turning to look at me from time to time to check if I was alright. 
Jongdae skated over with his hand rubbing the back of his neck. 


"Jaehee ah, can I borrow Yna for a while? I need to sort things out with her." 


I guess Yna overhead him because she turned and shot him a look before skating over to us. 


"Borrow? Am I a someone who can be borrowed? Wow." She looked up at the boy and folded her arms. 


I've never seen her like that before, seems like Jongdae must have done something really bad. 


"Oppa, sort things out. I'm fine on my own." I grinned before wandering off. 

 



Iceskating. Is. So. Fun. And tiring. 
I managed to keep my balance the entire time I was alone. It would be even better if Kyungsoo was here. I can't help but wonder how's he doing, whether he's on his way back to Korea or not. 

 



Minki crept up on me from the back. When she tapped me on the shoulder, I jumped and landed on the icy floor with a loud thud. She laughed at my misfortune, which I totally want to strangle her for. Clutching her stomach, she bent forward a little and laughed out loud. Soon enough, another loud thud was heard. 


"Karma!" I chuckled as she rubbed her bum. 


Luhan crossed his arms and shook his head before extending both his arms to us. 


I regained my balance while Minki struggled a little. I wonder if she's really my unnie, she's so childish sometimes. 

 



It was getting boring, since everyone was occupied with their partners. Yna seemed to have made up with Jongdae after their talk. 
Just as I was about the exit the rink to have a short rest, Yara and Hyomin came to me, hooked each of my arms and pulled me to the centre of the rink. 

"Hey, hey, hey!" I protested lightly, afraid that I might fall on the cold, hard floor again. "What are you doing?!" 


They rest of the group joined us at the centre. Something was off. Whenever I opened my mouth to ask, I got cut off by their hushes. 

The lights painted the white rink pink. I was surprised by the sudden change of colours, it was blue originally. I wondered what were they up to, I was so tired and they made me stand in the middle of this huge space and surrounded me like they were my bodyguards. I could feel the stares from other skaters digging into me. 


Just as I was about to ask for the last time, someone's cough was heard through the speakers suspended from above. Someone familiar.

No it couldn't be... 

 



He held on the a bouquet of roses in one hand and in another was a microphone. Melody filled the air. I know this song. As he skated over to me, he started singing. 

Being born in the same country

Talking in the same language

We’re so lucky,

it’s such a relief

Nothing is for certain in this world

I found myself palming my mouth in disbelief. He came back before the day ended. 

I can call your name and I can hold your hand

Is the falling sunlight only shining on me? Can I be this happy?

You call my name and you lean on my shoulder

Is the sky’s sunlight only shining on you? Can you be that dazzling?

So lucky, my love

So lucky to have you

So lucky to be your love, i am. 

He passed me the bouquet of roses and gave me a hug. 

I was thoroughly surprised by this. I never thought he was someone who would plan such an event for me. It was usually me who surprises him. 

"Jagi ~" He ruffled my hair before looking into my eyes. "Happy 5th anniversary." 

He pecked my forehead lightly before holding up my hand. 

"We've been through so many things together. For the last five years, I've enjoyed every bit of my time spent with you. I fell in love wih you. I don't know why, I don't know how, I just did. I am a hard person to love, but you, you stayed with me despite our quarrels. And for that, I know you are the one. The only one, in fact." He paused and gulped. I could see his ears turning pink and his face absolutely flushed.

It's so cheesy. He isn't someone who would say all these. Something's off tonight, something's really wrong. I tilted my head slightly to look at my 'bodyguards'. They had smiles plastered to their faces. I can't figure out anything just by their faces. Just at this moment, Kyungsoo cleared his throat and I found my eyes looking up to meet his. 

"Storm clouds may gather and stars may collide, but I love you, until the end of time. This is your favourite quote, isn't it?" He smiled awkwardly. I nodded and marvelled at his memory. I told him this at least 3 years ago, he still remembers. 

"So if I tell you I love you, can I keep you forever?" He dropped my hands and reached for something inside his blazer. No, no, no, this isn't happening, is it? I'm going bonkers. 

He pulled out a red velvety box and got down on one knee. I could feel tears forming at the back of my eyes. He opened the box and popped the question.

"Lee Jaehee, will you marry me?" 

Tears instantly fell from my eyes as I looked at my boyfriend on one knee. 

"SAY YES SAY YES SAY YES SAY YES" These words echoed through the entire rink. 

I wiped my hot tears and nodded before smiling brightly. He took the ring out of the box and slid it on my finger. Kyungsoo pulled me in for a bone-breaking hug and let go just before I suffocated to death. He pressed his lips against mine for a short while and proceeded to holding my hand and throwing it in the air. 

"SHE SAID YES." He shouted for all to hear. Cheers and applause filled the rink. As for me, I covered my face with my free hand, I could feel my cheeks burning up. 

 


 

"Wait. You mean all of you knew?" I exclaimed. 

Everyone in the cafe turned to look at me, but I brushed it off. 

"Yes Jaehee. For the fourth time, we knew." Yna stated plainly, obviously a little annoyed by me. 

"Explain. I want to know what happened behind my back!" I clasped my hands and rested my chin on top of them. 

"I'll let you have the honour, maknae." Yna turned to face Hyomin, whom I believe was surprised by the leader's sudden statement. 

"I'll do it." Eluna tapped the table lightly to gather the attention of everyone. 

"Kyungsoo went overseas to get you your ring, not to help his dad." She pointed to my finger. "And yes, it's custom-made. I picked the design." 

I ran my index finger over the sparkling gem and admired it. 

"He knew you will find Minki, so he planned the ice skating date. He invited all of us." I nodded as she continued with her story. 

"He knew you can't ice-skate so he pleaded Yna to teach you. Pleaded." Everyone at the table stifled a chuckle. Something funny must have happened when he pleaded her. I didn't want to disrupt her story so I didn't ask. I'll probably ask Kyungsoo later. 

"In order for it not to be weird, Yna and Jongdae pretended to be fighting. So she could teach you one-to-one." Eluna continued. 

"But I couldn't stand not having her around so I went to find her when you're more stable. Sorry for making you feel lonely~" Jongdae chimed as he pulled Yna closer to his torso. Yna hit him playfully on his chest. 

Eluna glared at him, she clearly wasn't quite pleased with being disrupted. 

"And then the rest, you know what happened." She couldn't be bothered to go further into details. But that was enough. 

"Aww all for me?" I nudged Kyungsoo a little, teasing him. Pink streaks crept up to his face. 

I will love this boy forever. 

Our forever has just begun. 


Author's Note:

I'll proof read this in the morning! Pardon me for any grammar mistakes! 

Happy Birthday Jia!!! TOILET BUDDY FOR LYFE <3 

HOPE YOU LIKED YOUR PRESENT.