Oneshot

Happy Birthday, Kyungie.

 

July 6th, at Block B’s dorm…

Park Kyung was watching his hyungs/friends/dongsaeing doing their own things with a weary attitude, even though he was being on pins and needles inside. It’s going to be his birthday the day after tomorrow, and he couldn’t help thinking about it, despite the indifference of his friends. Kyung got next to Jae Hyo – who was folding a bunch of clothes – and said in a sweet voice:

“Jae Hyo hyung ah…”

“What?” Jae Hyo replied rudely, pouring cold water on poor Kyung’s excitement.

“Do you know what’s on Friday?” Kyung pouted and tried to act cute, but all he received, once again, is only ignorance.

“Barbecue day?” Min Hyuk looked up from his mirror and raised his eyebrows. “It’s time for you to pay, isn’t it?”

“Please, hyung, are you kidding me? It’s time for YOU to pay!” Ji Hoon yawned while Min Hyuk just shrugged. Kyung was going to lose his temper anytime, but he still tried to grin at his best friend, Ji Ho:

“Hey, hip-hop baby, do you remember…”

“I know, I know,” Ji Ho stood up and folded his book. “We’re going to perform on Music Bank!”

“Yeah!” Yu Kwon stopped to play the guitar and looked up. “I can’t wait to see our BBCs!”

“Yah!” Kyung shouted in anger, while Taeil looked up from the fish tank and said:

“Hey guys, don’t upset Kyungie. I think I remember it. It is some kind of anniversary…”

“Thank you, hyung,” Kyung sighed in relief. “Finally there is someone who remembers...”

“Ah, I know!” Taeil flicked and said. “It’s my cousin’s wedding anniversary! I’ve got to call him!”

“Aargh!” Kyung stomped his feet angrily, went to the bedroom and slammed the door. He grabbed Toto on Ji Hoon’s bed and threw it away angrily. Then he jumped on Ji Ho’s Hello Kitty bed sheet and started to curse everything he could think about. About ten minutes later, when he’s gained his temper back again – actually he was tired of all the jumping and cursing things, he lay on his bed, looking at the ceiling and thought:

Aargh, I can’t believe they forgot about my birthday! I hate them! Even Ji Ho! Man, I thought that he is my best friend. I’m going to ignore you guys! No, I’ll have to play something on you, so that you won’t ever forget MY birthday again!

He smirked with his little thought and started planning on his tricks, but little did he know…

The boys were eavesdropping on him secretly and exchanging glances.

“Hey, did you think that he threw Toto away?” Ji Hoon panicked.

“Sh… Ji Hoon, be quiet!” Ji Ho said as he tried to look through the lock.

“How could he think that we’ve forgotten his birthday?” Taeil giggled and pressed his ears against the door.

“Actually, I think I did…” Yu Kwon said, as the others glanced at him angrily. “Sorry…” He lowered his eyes, just like a pitiful cat who has just been scolded.

“Will he know about our surprise for him?” Jae Hyo asked worriedly.

“I’m pretty sure he won’t.” Ji Ho grinned.

oOo

July 7th

Kyung woke up inside the locked room when the sun has already gone up. He rubbed his eyes and climbed down the bed. It was easier when there is no one to fight for the bathroom with Kyung, so he walked in and washed up leisurely. Then he went outside.

There was nothing but silence in Block B’s room, so the others have probably gone out. Kyung saw a piece of paper on the table in the living room, and he picked it up, hoping that the boys have finally realized what they’ve forgotten and wanted to say sorry to Kyung. But all he could see is the typical, tottering handwriting of Ji Ho:

Dear Kyungie,

Thank you for locking the door. We (of course including the manager hyungs) couldn’t wash up in the bathrooms, so we have to wait in “line” to wash our hair and brush our teeth… in the sink. My hair stucked in the in the sink so we have to go and fix it. We won’t come home for lunch because we will go out to have some spicy chicken. As a punishment, we won’t pick you up, and you have to make your own lunch. We still need practice for the big day tomorrow, so we’ll see you at two.

Love,

Block B

P/s: We’ve run out of towels, so please wash them.

Kyung held the paper on his hand and stared into nothing. He was truly disappointed.

I thought we were one, He threw the piece of paper into the trash can and walked into the kitchen. I thought they were my family.

His sad thought immidiately stopped when he saw dirty and wet T-shirts piled up on the dining table. He winced disgustedly and held the one on the top.

“Oh God!” Kyung moaned. “If they forgot my birthday, I can remind them and forgive them, but must they treat me this way?”

oOo

Meanwhile, at the supermarket…

“Have you got all the things we need?” Jae Hyo headed to Taeil and asked.

“Wait a minute, I’ve got to pay.” Taeil pulled his wallet out of his pocket and said. He looked around until his eyes met something. He poked Jae Ho with his elbow and pointed at the shelves next to the cashier:

“Hey, is it what I think it is?”

“It’s a stuffed toy cucumber!” Jae Hyo said excitedly. “You’re brilliant, Taeil!”

oOo

At the same time, in a bookstore…

“Hey, Kwonnie,” Min Hyuk raised a book in the air and asked. “Is this the right one?”

“Find the one with the pink cover!” Yu Kwon looked up from the card shelves and said.

Every book in here has pink cover!” Min Hyuk replied, confused. “Which one do you want me to take?”

“The one that has a big strawberry cake on it!” Yu Kwon said. “Be quick and help me with this! There are so many cards here and I can’t choose one of them!"

“I’ve got it! I’m coming!” Min Hyuk grabbed the book and got next to Yu Kwon. “Hey, is there any card with a cucumber on?”

“No!” Said Yu Kwon. “It’s hard for me to find one that suits him!”

“Okay, I’ve got an idea. Just go buy some paper and we’ll make him our special one.”

“You’re right, Min Hyuk.” Yu Kwon left a bunch of cards aside and said. “Anyway, is there any fast food restaurant here? I’m starving!”

oOo

Not far away from there, at a clothes shop…

“Hey, hyung,” Ji Hoon a pair of shoes and asked. “What do you think about this?”

“Ooh, bling-bling!” Ignoring the maknae, Ji Ho wandered around the shelves and found himself a ring. He put it on his and took a good look at it, until Ji Hoon appeared without a sound and said in his deep-toned voice:

“Hyung, you can go shopping later if you want, but this is for Kyung hyung’s birthday. Please concentrate.”

“Alright, alright.” Ji Ho raised his hand in the air and rolled his eyes. “What about you go check the shirts while I look for some shoes?”

“Okay.” Ji Hoon nodded and left.

Ji Ho went around and picked a pair of shoes for Kyung, and he went to find Ji Hoon. The maknae was standing in front of the accessories and staring at a hat.

“This is really pretty!” He praised. “But isn’t it a little expensive? I think…”

“Hey, Pyo Ji Hoon!” Ji Ho shouted. “I thought you were the one who told me to concentrate?”

“Yeah, you’re right.” Ji Hoon blushed in shame and said. “There’s a jacket over there. I think it will suit him. Let’s go.”

oOo

Ten minutes later…

“Hey guys!” Jae Hyo jumped up and waved. He was standing next to a big stack of boxes and packets. Taeil was nowhere to be found.

“Where is Taeil?” Min Hyuk asked.

“Guys… a little help here?” Taeil’s voice came behind the stack. He was holding them, but since he’s too short compared to the rests, they couldn’t even see him holding another big bag.

“What is that?” Ji Hoon pushed the stack to one side and took a look at the bag on Taeil’s hand.

“It’s our special gift for Kyungie.” Taeil smiled and put it down. “I think we should get the car now.”

“You’re right.” Ji Ho pulled his cell phone out and started to call the hyungs. That’s when they heard someone squeaked:

“Oh My God! Is that Block B?”

“AHHHHHH! It is them!”

“Ehm… did you hear what I’ve heard?” Yu Kwon looked confused and pointed to the fangirls who were running towards them.

“Normally, I like them a lot. But if it is now…” Jae Hyo shrieked. “Run for your precious lives, if you now what’s good for you!”

“Kyah! I don’t want to die now! I’m still too young for this!” Yu Kwon screamed in panic and started to run as if he was followed by a ghost. Ji Hoon, after a moment of confusiom, instantly followed his hyung.

“Wait wait!” Taeil shouted. “What about the boxes?”

“Everyone, please grab a box each and run!” Ji Ho ordered before grabbing a box and ran away. “See you in front of the parking lot in five minutes! Good luck!”

Yu Kwon and Ji Hoon turned back to grab the boxes and quickly followed the leader.

Min Hyuk seemed like doing good deeds today. He grabbed two boxes and a packet before giving Taeil another box and pulled him away from the crazy fans.

Jae Hyo was the only one being left behind. He picked the stuffed toy cucumber up, totally bewildered and looked around. The fans are getting closer to him, and Jae Hyo’s eyes widened in terror.

“Oh, crap.” He murmured when the fans got close to him.

oOo

“You guys are totally dead.” Jae Hyo got into the minivan and threatened. There was a bruise on his forehead and his T-shirt was badly torn. But still, he managed to protect the stuffed toy cucumber.

“Nice job, hyung!” Ji Ho patted on Jae Hyo’s back when he sat down. “At least you’re still alive.”

“They took my socks off WITHOUT taking my shoes off!” Jae Hyo moaned. “How the hell did they do that? And those are my Dara socks!”

“We’ll make that up for you soon, hyung.” Ji Ho grinned. “Let’s go have lunch.”

oOo

At the dorm, once again…

“Aigoo, he is really mad at us.” Ji Ho sighed and put his hand on the doorknob. It was seven in the evening already, and the gang went back to the dorm without Kyung. He ignored them the whole time and gave an awkward excuse after dinner to not come with them in the minivan.

“I don’t know if our surprise worth…” Taeil said worriedly, while Ji Ho pushed the door and came in. And before he knew what was going on, a big bucket of water fell down from nowhere and hit his head. Of course, he was wet. Ji Ho frowned while the others started to giggle.

“Oh my God!” Ji Hoon said and shrugged in a very hilarious way, and the boys, except for Ji Ho, blew up with laughter. Ji Ho said ironically:

“Ha ha ha, very funny, Kyungie ah.” Then he murmured. “If he’s not the birthday boy, he’ll be dead as soon as he steps in this house.”

 “Get over it, man.” Yu Kwon patted on Ji Ho’s back while laughing and walked inside. But he immidiately tripped and hit his head on the ground. Everyone was like ‘Ouch!’ while Ji Ho exploded.

“You reap what you sow, man.” He laughed and walked into the bathroom to wash up. Yu Kwon looked painful.

“My head is swollen.” Yu Kwon winced. “Will I be crazy or something like that?”

“You’re already crazy.” Jae Hyo walked inside. “Watch out for Kyung’s y traps. He’s really mad this time.”

“Why does he have to be so childish?” Taeil sighed and walked inside with the grocery bags that they bought that noon and headed into the kitchen. Min Hyuk and Ji Hoon followed him.

“GOSH!” Not very long after that, Taeil shrieked in a high-toned voice. “He put eggs in the microwave! How could he do that?”

“I’ll clean it.” Min Hyuk is in the good-deed-mood again. He helped Taeil with cleaning the messy microwave and started to put the ingredients on the counter. Ji Hoon went out and locked the door to make sure that Kyung won’t walk in all in a sudden. Yu Kwon, with a compress on his head, pulled out the recipe out of his backpack and gave it to Min Hyuk while he, Ji Ho and Ji Hoon prepared for Kyung’s gifts and birthday card. Jae Hyo joined Taeil and Min Hyuk in the kitchen.

“So… what should we do now?” Min Hyuk rubbed his hands together in confusion.

“You’re underestimating me.” Jae Hyo chuckled. “I’ve won a baking contest before.”

“I do doubt it.” Taeil rolled his eyes and said.

“Fine.” Jae Hyo sulked. “Just follow the recipe.”

The guys managed to make the cake rather well. It was not pathetic as they thought, but the cake was really beautiful. Taeil putted it into a big box and gave it to the kind neighbor to keep it for them until tomorrow. Taeil sat down the sofa watching Yu Kwon’s desperate effort to draw a cucumber, while Min Hyuk and Jae Hyo the TV.

“Oh, it’s A Pink!” Jae Hyo said.

“Move out! I want to see them!” Ji Ho pushed Jae Hyo aside and sat down in front of the TV. Everyone left their work and started to stare at the screen. Jae Hyo didn’t even notice that he was drooling. When the performance ended, Block B heard a dull thud coming from the hall, and they all rushed to the door. Ji Hoon opened the door hurriedly and they saw Kyung lying, unconcious.

“Crap.” Ji Ho mumbled Jae Hyo tried to pull Kyung inside. Ji Hoon sniffed and winced.

“Man, did hyung drink?”

“Apparently he did.” Taeil bent and said. “He’s drunk.”

“Holy !” Yu Kwon shouted. “He’s trying to his elbow! Man, this is the best day of my life!”

“It’s not time to joke, Kwonnie.” Taeil ordered. “Take him to bed while we finish the card.”

“Okay.” Yu Kwon nodded docilely and started to pull Kyung into the bedroom.

“We’d better finish this, guys.” Ji Ho said. “And we should sleep out here in case Kyungie wakes up and wants to play something on us."

“Let me draw it!” Min Hyuk grabbed a pen and drew a big cucumber on the card. Then Yu Kwon came out and everyone signed on the cards. They hid the presents in a corner to make sure that Kyung won’t see it. Then they arranged their sleeping place. It was almost midnight already. Kyung is going to be 19 soon. Taeil went around making sure that everything was okay and entered the bedroom. Kyung was sleeping on his bed peacefully while complaining with his mom about how his friend forgot his birthday in his dream. Taeil smiled while staring at the clock.

Three…

Two…

One…

It is now July 8th. Kyung has grown. Taeil pulled Kyung’s blanket over his neck and whispered:

“Happy birthday, Kyungie. Best wishes.”

Then he went out and turned off the lights.

oOo

July 8th, at Music Bank’s waiting room…

“Yeah, wassup BBCs!” Kyung mumbled to the camera. “It’s July 8th already, and NONE of the members remembers it! I hope you still remember my birthday! Yeah, this is Park Kyung of Block B!”

“What are you doing, hyung?” Ji Hoon got next to him and asked.

“Nothing.” Kyung replied rudely and shut the camera. It was Block B’s turn to perform soon, so he stood up and went out. Ji Hoon followed him, meeting the rest of Block B. As Kyung saw his friends, he hissed. Ji Ho was like he is running out of air, while Yu Kwon poked Min Hyuk with his elbow and they started to giggle. Kyung winced, and as Block B received the signals, he walked on stage without looking at the others.

The stand was full of fans, who kept shouting their idols name. As the music began, Kyung heard BBCs shouting: “Happy birthday, oppa! We love you!” He chuckled ironically and kept is weary attitude, but still performed well. When the two-minute performance ended, the hall blew up with shout. Block B smiled and waved at the fans before getting back to the waiting room. As Kyung finished thanking everyone, he turned back and saw none of the members. He sighed. Well, a lonely birthday, I guess.

Kyung opened the door of the waiting room and walked in. It was dark, and he d around to find the switch. As his foot met a slippy thing, he started to slide towards. All he could think was: What the hell is this?

In a tick of the watch, Kyung’s face hit a soft surface. He winced and stood up. He his lips and found out that whatever he hit, it was sweet. Someone turned the lights on, and before Kyung could know what was going on, he was squeezed by a bunch of people.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” They shouted, and let go of Kyung. Surprised, he took a look around and saw every members of Block B, even Mino and Hanhae. The room was decorated very nicely, and there was a big, messy cake on the table, surrounded by big giftboxes. So that what I hit, Kyung thought.

“Guys…” Kyung said, while his eyes were fillled with tears. “I thought you forgot!”

“Aw… he’s crying.” Ji Hoon smiled while Ji Ho punched lightly in Kyung’s stomach.

“Hey, your best friend is here. How could I ever forget it?”

“Because you guys were all ignoring me and I thought…”

“We wanted to surprise you.” Jae Hyo said. “And now… SURPRISE!”

Everyone laughed hard. Yu Kwon is the only one who looked pitiful.

“What’s it, Kwonnie?” Kyung looked up and asked.

“I… I just… I”

“Just say it. I won’t hit you.”

“I am the one who put the soap bar on the floor to make you fall.” Yu Kwon admitted guiltily, while Min Hyuk put a hand on his shoulder protectively. “It’s because your prank last night and I’m still mad at you and… I’m sorry.” He sighed. Kyung hugged him tightly and said:

“Since I’m the great Kyung, apology accepted.”

Yu Kwon sniffed and hugged him even tighter. Then every one goes “Aw…” and Taeil started to light the candle.

“Blow your candle and make a wish, Kyungie.” He said.

Kyung closed his eyes and blew the candles.

“What did you wish, hyung?” Ji Hoon asked.

“I wish that Block B will last forever.” Kyung grinned.

“Now that’s corny.” Ji Ho raised his eyebrows.

“I’m just kidding.” Kyung laughed. “I wished that I’ll be forever handsome.”

“You badass!” Ji Ho glanced at him, and they blew up with laughter once again.

“Happy birthday, Kyungie!” Everyone said once again in unison, and Kyung grinned:

“This is totally the best birthday ever!”

--- END ---