Goodbye Forever

Goodbye Forever

It was raining that day and I was sitting on the bench at the park nearby my house. That was my favourite place for years now, but still nobody knows what make that place so special for me, even my best friend. I sure keep it as a secret for myself, because nothing like this ever happen to them. Maybe I was playing back to much memory, thinking about everything I’ve been through. The story started on rainy day, the once that I’ll never forget.

I sat silently on the park bench. Well, I had no friend because I just moved to the neighbourhood yesterday. Suddenly, the rain was falling and everybody on the park ran to their house. But for me I stayed there and without I realize, tears dropped from my eyes. A boy with a black umbrella walked toward me. He wore a dark red t-shirt and he has a white and pale skin. He sat next to me so he can share his umbrella with me.

I noticed that the boy had pretty brown eyes as he was staring at my face. I felt a strange feeling inside my heart. But I don’t know what that was. “Thanks for the umbrella” I said. “No problem.” He replied. “The rain had stopped, so I must go now” I left him without a goodbye but he just smiled at me. I went home, with thousands of question on my mind. Who was that boy? What is his name? I forgot to ask because I was speechless when I looked at him. Is there any chance that we will meet again? I sat on the bed and stared through the window, hoping that I’ll meet him again someday, somewhere and somehow.


I went to my new school like usually that day. It was my second day as a student at the school. After the bell ring, my class teacher came into the class with a new student. When I looked at him, I thought that I saw that boy somewhere.

“Good morning class, this is a new student in your class” the teacher said. “Hello, my name is Han Sang Hyuk and you can call me Hyuk. Nice to meet you all” “The new boy is so handsome, I want to tackle him” the girl in front of me whispered to her friend. The teacher told the boy to sit beside me, because that was only the empty place in the class. He sat down on his place and looked at me. He smiled and said, “Still remember me?” I gave a deep sigh at him, “You were the boy at the park yesterday right? The one with the umbrella” “Yup, may I shared this textbook with you ‘cause I still don’t have it.”  I moved a little bit closer to him.

The bell rang showing that it was the time for recess. I didn’t felt hungry, so I just sat at my place. “Want to go to recess?” Hyuk asked. “No, I’m not hungry. How about you? I replied. “Me too, can I ask you something?” He looked at me. “Sure, what is it?”  “What is your name? I don’t know if you realize it or not but you still didn’t tell me your name, although we’d met since yesterday.” He blurted it out. “My name is Sohyun, and I just transfer to this school yesterday so I hope we will be a good friend” I said to him. “Of course we will, we will be a good friend”.

 


Day by day, the two of us became closer. We were best friend, but I hope we will be more than that. He treated me as I was important to him and he was important to me too. The longer I knew him I became afraid to lose him. He never says that he love me, and I never knew what exactly he felt about me. Whenever I looked at his eyes, I felt like he was hiding something from me. But I didn’t know what it was. One thing that I noticed about him since I met him was his skin sometime looked pale, but it was always like that. I wondered if he was sick or something.

One day, I went to the school as usual. But weirdly, Hyuk didn’t come. I felt uneasy because usually he would tell me. I waited for his call, but he didn’t call me. So I tried to call him. There was no answer from him. I tried again but his phone was off. This was weird, really weird. He never ignores my phone call. I didn’t know how to find him, because he never told me where he lived. I just waited for him to come to school. Three days had past, but he was still absent. I knew something happened to him and I want to find out. Suddenly, I remembered he once told me that his brother also studies here. His brother name was N. So, that was it. He was the only chance for me to know what exactly happened to his brother. I searched for him all around the school and I was exhausted. But I didn’t give up. Finally, I found him at the basketball court. He was playing with his friend. It was weird to be there, when all of the boys were staring at me, but I didn’t really care. I walked straight toward him and said “Can we talk for a while? I have something to ask ou and you are the only one who can help me”. “You are Hyuk’s friend right?” He stared at me. I nodded. “Alright, but let go somewhere else. This is not the right place.” “Sorry guys, I have something to do.” He said to his friend.

N brought me to the park near the school. “You want to know about Hyuk, don’t you?” N said and sat on the bench. His voice sounded like he was sad or something. “Yes, he didn’t come to school for a few days and he also didn’t answer my call. I’m worry about him.” I blurted out all at once. “I don’t know how to explain it to you. Hyuk didn’t go to school because he was trying to avoid you. I’m sorry but I can’t tell you more. You have to ask him yourself. I will tell him to call you.” And he went away. “Avoiding me? Why? What had I done to him?” I talked to myself.


That night, I received a call from Hyuk. The first words that I heard from him was “I’m sorry”. He said he wanted to meet me tomorrow evening at the park near my house and of course I said yes. I miss him so much. I felt like the time had moved slower than usual. I couldn’t wait to see him.

I went to the park that evening. I saw him was already there. He looked at me and gave me a warmth smile. I was so glad to see him like that. I sat beside him and I stared at him, waited for him to say something. But he kept silent. Suddenly, he held my hands and stared at me. He began to speak, “Sohyun, I have something to tell you. I love you, I love you from the first day we met” “I love you too Hyuk”. My tears flowed out from my eyes and he quickly wiped it off. “Don’t cry, I hate to see you cry. When we first met I also saw you cry, but I didn’t dare to ask you why.” “I was crying that time because I missed my mother, she loved to see the rain when she was still alive and now she was gone. Hyuk, promise me don’t leave me.” He held my hand even tighter. “No, I can’t.” He kept staring on the ground.

Why? We both love each other”. “There was something that you didn’t know about me. We can’t be together, you and I are different.” He said it one by one, “Our love is forbidden.” “I don’t understand why our love was forbidden?” “Because I’m not a normal human like you are. I am a vampire” and he showed me his sharp fangs and suddenly it disappeared. I looked at him up and down, seeing again his pale and white face. All of that made sense to me. “Do you believe me?” he looked at me waited for my reaction. How was suppose he hope me to believe it? We were on the 21st century now and he told me he was a vampire. For other people, the story may look nonsense. But for me, I believe him. “Yes. I do believe you, I always do Hyuk. Listen to me Hyuk, I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you. I don’t really care if you are a vampire”. I tried to hide my sadness. “But I don’t want you to suffer all of your life Sohyun. Letting you go is the only way I can do to make you happy and I’ll be happy too.” He tried to convince me. “But, but… you know I can’t do that”. “For once, I beg at you. Please… forget me. It is for your own good. Someday, you will find a normal human that will replace me. I know you will.”

I didn’t have any choices, whether I like it or not I’d got to let go of him. “I will let go of you Hyuk.” I tried to swallowing the lump, but it was impossible. He hugged me then and that made it even worse. I knew that things had changed for ever. I felt like crying, but somehow I stopped myself. I don’t know how I managed it. He hugged me tight and quite long. I knew that was our last hug together. He let me go and whispered to me, “Take care of yourself.” And I watched him walked until he was gone. Then, suddenly it was raining. It was like the first time we’d met and now it was the last. I knew that was our goodbye forever.