A Question of Fate

A Question of Fate

“Where is that girl? She told me she’d be here already,” Jessica pouted.

Jessica was waiting for Yoona outside of her own apartment since she had to go out and pick up her cousin arriving from Canada. She promised her that she would be taking him and her out for lunch, as requested by the saseum-like girl.  A few seconds after, she saw a taxi park by in front of the apartment. She noticed the passenger in front of the taxi. It’s gotta be Yoona.

Somebody came out from the front seat of the taxi and noticed Jessica. “Eonni!” Yoona chirped, placing her sunglasses on top of her head while giving her a tight embrace.

“Yoona!” Jessica gave back the embrace, encircling her arms her neck. “What took you so long?”

“I’m terribly sorry for making you wait outside your place, but there were a lot of arrivals at the airport today,” Yoona said, sighing in mild irritation. "And we still had to place his luggage inside the house."

“It’s alright, it’s alright. What do we expect? It’s the weekends.” Jessica laughed off the apology despite her sore feet.

Jessica and Yoona were having their casual conversation outside the taxi when Kris, Yoona’s cousin, was watching Jessica move from the inside of the taxi. So, that’s her. He was watching how her hair flipped along with her movements, how her lips moved while she was talking, and how feminine she looked while conversing with his cousin. His face plastered a poker face until he saw her laughing. The corner of his lips suddenly curved into a small smile and he felt his heart skip little beats. Yoona was right. She’s perfect. He smiled at the sight of her.

It has been about four minutes since they were talking, and Yoona suddenly remembered her cousin inside the taxi. “Oh, eonni! We have to go. I just remembered somebody’s waiting for us inside,” she said, jabbing her thumb behind.

Jessica nodded and hurriedly opened the front seat’s door since she was told to sit there. Yoona went to the passenger’s seat and sat down beside her cousin. Jessica was too tired from all the standing and talking, so she didn’t mind turning her head around to see her friend’s cousin. She rested her head on her seat and let out a tired sigh, closing her eyes.

“To the mall please,” Yoona ordered, seeing the taxi driver’s head nod from behind.

Kris tapped her on the shoulder. “When will you introduce me to her?” He leaned closely to her ear and asked in a whispering manner.

“I’m pretty sure you’ve seen her photos on Facebook and you’ve known her because of me, oppa. Let the girl rest for awhile! She’s been waiting for us in front of her apartment,” Yoona chuckled lightly.

He pulled away, nodding and looking out through the window. "Alright." We’ll meet each other later, Jessica. Just so you wait.

 

The three of them arrived at the mall. Jessica was the first to step out of the vehicle. She stretched her arms forward and yawned, removing the drowsiness out of herself. Closing the door shut, her eyes landed on Kris, who was sitting behind her. Though the vision was not clear because of the dark window of the taxi, she could still see how he looked like: his brunette hair a bit short since his bangs were gelled up all the way from his head, his jaw well defined together with his proportionate chin, his eyes as sharp as daggers. She cringed a bit, taking a few steps back. He seems scary.

Yoona stepped out of the taxi and bowed to the taxi driver. Kris followed, making Jessica imagine her jaw drop in shock. He looks like a supermodel! She did not know what to do now. She frantically stood up straight and fixed the summer dress what she was wearing.

Kris saw how Jessica reacted when he came out of the car. He anxiously looked away, away from her sight. He stared at the sky high mall in front of him, not wanting to have an eye contact with her.

Yoona saw the awkwardness between the two. Smiling, she suddenly said, “Ahh, I see you two have finally seen each other.”

Kris and Jessica suddenly shot her an awkward-looking face then saw each other looking at her. It is like the world’s time stopped and everything froze. The only thing they could both see was each other and nothing else.

Kris snapped out of concentration when Yoona clung on his long arm. “Oppa, meet Jessica Jung.” She then walked to Jessica, dragging him a little. “And this, Jessica, is my cousin, Kris Wu,” she smiled.

“It’s great to meet such a beautiful lady,” he said, holding his free hand for a handshake.

Jessica nervously took his hand and shook it carefully. “Nice to meet you, too, Kris. I’ve heard a lot of things about you from Yoona,” she chuckled.

Kris suddenly leaned to Yoona, whispering, “You told her things about me? I thought you wouldn’t say—“

“ALRIGHT, LET’S GET EATING GUYS!” Yoona cut him off, releasing her grip from Kris and walking beside Jessica. “Where are we going to eat, eonni?”

“Do you guys want to eat at a yakiniku?” She asked, plastering a shy smile.

She’s adorable. He was about to ask what a yakiniku was when the two had already went off. Sighing in defeat, he just followed them with his hands inside the pockets of his jacket.

 

 

Time flew by so fast, and Jessica was at home already. It was already seven o’clock in the evening, and it had been about two hours since she had arrived. She remembered how weird the lunch felt with Yoona blabbering about random experiences with Kris, Kris being the quiet person that he was, and her being the awkward turtle that she really was. She was doing an Indian sit on the couch, reading a book when a knock was heard from the door.

“Nuguyaa?” She rose up from her position and slipped on her fuzzy bedroom slippers. She fixed the look of her pyjamas and went to the door.

She opened the door and found out that the person knocking was Kris. “Hi,” he said gingerly. “Jenny Jung, right?”

She let out a laugh and patted his shoulder. “It’s Jessica Jung, please.”

His cheeks suddenly turned crimson in embarrassment. Oh god, what did I just do? He laughed along awkwardly, not wanting her to know how ashamed he was feeling.

She noticed that his hands were hidden behind him. Curiously, she asked, “What brings you here anyways? And how did you know the address to my house?”

“Please don’t think of me as some stalker because, I’m not,” he said, shaking his head, “and I’m here because Yoong wanted you to have these.” He handed her a bag of bite-sized chocolate bars.

Her eyes started to round as he held out a huge plastic bag of different chocolates. Cadbury, Hershey’s, Snickers, Crunch, and even Three Musketeers! She wholeheartedly accepted the bag and placed it by the door. “Tell Yoona I hate her. I’m seriously gonna lose my diet now~”

He was about to say something in return when he felt something drop on his head. He looked up and saw a raindrop falling after another one. It was drizzling now. He gave himself a facepalm because he should have followed Yoona’s advice to bring with him an umbrella since it was cloudy earlier.

She saw how Kris was looking a bit troubled. She asked him, “Uhm, Kris? Are you okay?”

He looked at her, a bit confused, and replied, “I-I’m okay, don’t worry about me…”

She looked at the cemented floor of her front yard and saw that it was getting wet by the second. She made the opening of the door bigger and gestured Kris to come in for awhile. He hesitated at first, but went in quickly as requested.

 

Having a talk with Kris. Pick him up later? :)
Sent April 20, 2013 at 5:52PM

She pressed the button and the message was now sent to Yoona. She placed her phone back on the counter and focused her attention back to Kris. They decided to have a casual talk while waiting for the rain to stop and for them to get to know each other more.

“So Kris, what’s your height? I feel like you’re a basketball player in Canada,” she laughed.

He looked up and calculated with his fingers. “About a hundred and eighty centimeters.”

“A hundred and— WHAT? Am I that small?” Her eyes widened in great shock. How can this guy be so tall and why do I appear like I’m so short compared to him? She removed her feet from her slippers and tiptoed, meeting Kris’ shoulders. “How about that?” She scoffed.

He laughed so hard that pushing her shoulders down gently and patting her head. “It is better the other way around,” he said, sticking out his tongue.

“Yah!” She pouted. “Just because I’m short doesn’t mean you can tease me.”

“I’m sorry.” He bowed his head. “But I just find your height interesting. It’s what makes you cute. Sorry again.” Great. Way to go, Wupoop.

“Well, err, thanks…” She scratched her nape shyly. “Thank you for that compliment. That kinda lifted my spirit a bit,” she chuckled.

He saw that her hair was falling on her face. He tucked in her hair behind her ears and smiled warmly at her. “Height doesn’t matter, beauty and character is important. And you have it all.”

This cheesy Angry Bird. She took a glance at him and gave out a shy laugh. “Thanks, Kris. I guess you’re the first person to say that to me,” she said, looking away quickly.

“Well, I’m very honoured to be the first guy to say so... But I’m sure that there are others who want to say that to you but are just shy…” He scratched the back of his head, letting out a small smile. “I can’t even believe I got the courage to say that to you…”

She laughed at him, which was like music to his ears. “If those guys would have the courage to say that in front of me, well I’ll be honoured,” she smiled, “but hearing that from you… That’s sweet, really.”

He felt his cheeks turn back to crimson again. He laughed, using the back part of his hand to cover up his mouth. “I feel like I’m the luckiest man in the world.”

“You heard it from the one and only Jessica Jung,” she shrugged jokingly while laughing. “Feel special now, Kris?”

He looked at you and gave out his “to-die-for” smile. “I always feel special.” Especially when I’m with you.

She suddenly pulled out her killer heels and wore them. She stood up straight to pat his head. “Really? I kinda feel like a royalty now that I’m talking to you,” she laughed. “You’re looking at me as if I’m some sort of a goddess or something.

He started eyeing her from head to toe. “What are you doing to yourself?” He laughed, pushing her to the couch. He pushed her down for her to sit and he knelt down. “You don’t have to wear such heels, you’ll hurt yourself.” He took them off and replaced them with her fuzzy bedroom slippers. “You’re perfect no matter what your height is. You’re perfect when you wear simple things.” He stood up and sat down beside you. “Besides, I think you are one. My ice goddess who eventually melted my heart.”

She fixed the slippers she was wearing and looked down, frowning. “But don’t you think people will judge me if I don’t look tall? It kinda makes me feel a bit insecure when people judge me.” And then she remembered what he just said: my ice goddess. She felt her heart skip a beat. She looked at him, her cheeks turning into a light shade of pink. “Did you just say your ice goddess?”

“Why would they judge you of your height?” He held the ends of her lips and turned the frown into a smile. “You’re one of the prettiest, kindest, and cutest girls in the world. Why would they look for more? And yes, I just said my ice princess. Why? Can’t I say it?” He cupped both your cheeks and squished them together. “You’re cute when you blush. Just saying.”

“Hey!” She held his hands, removing them from her now red cheeks. “You’ll make me blush even more if you continue to do that.” She placed his hands back on his lap and continued to talk. “But you know, people are on the lookout for the long-legged beauties. Unlike me, I’m more like an old-looking kid,” she laughed, making herself feel light.

“I know other people are on the lookout for that kind of type, but for me? I prefer someone who is short and cute,” he smiled. “You might wonder how I knew this, but I saw you dancing to Genie before, and I think you did a very beautiful job dancing it because of your legs.”

How did he know I danced to that song? Her cheeks looked so swollen from blushing already.”Then I guess I’m the girl you’re looking for,” she laughed back. “And seriously. You should stop complimenting me. You’re making me look like a tomato!”

“Then blush as hard as you could. Don’t you know that every time you blush, you make my heart melt?”

She could not take it anymore. She breathed in deep and exhaled. “If you want me to blush hard, then you gotta do better than what you’re doing right now,” she said, challenging him a bit.

Then suddenly, she felt an arm wrap around her waist. “You’ve always been the girl for me,” he smiled.

Ah, this guy is really something. She was in the verge of crying in pure happiness. “And I guess you’ve won.”

He pulled back, taken aback at what she just said. “You’ve won my heart already,” she confessed, smiling at him sweetly.

Her phone rang from the counter. She stood up, breaking the moment, and walked up to get her phone. She saw that Yoona had replied to her text message. Opening the message, she asked Kris to relax and fix himself.

Picking him up in a few minutes.
Sent April 20, 2013 at 8:45PM

 

 

It had been a few months since Kris and Jessica had been hanging out with each other together with Yoona. Thinking that maybe it was the right time to do it, he asked help from his cousin. She invited her to come to the mall so that both of them could go shopping while Kris was busy decorating her house. He had prepared something to eat for the three of them just in case Yoona wanted to joined. He had also prepared heart-shaped balloons of her favorite colors: pink, violet, and yellow. He also bought her a huge teddy bear holding a banner that said, Will you be mine?

I hope this is okay,” he said to himself, wiping off his imaginary sweat.

A few minutes later, he could hear the girls coming back from the mall. I need to hide! He went behind the counter and let himself remain hidden.

Jessica unlocked the door to her house and, to her surprise, she saw that the once dull-looking living room looked like it was been bombed with glitters. She cupped , preventing herself from making a noise.

Hello?” She peeked through the door's opening, but no one was responding.

Her instincts were telling her that somebody was around because nobody else would do this to her own house. She looked at Yoona, who was laughing secretly by herself. She looked at her friend and gave her a "do-you-know-anything-about-this" look, but all her friend gave her was a playful shrug. She was about to go near the counter when Kris' voice started playing from the bear sitting on the couch. 

The sweet smile in that old photo, the perfect harmony between us
I think I’m a lucky guy, so nice! Our story a beautiful fairy tale
Oh my god! The best-sounding Pop-Pop
Your voice melts me like ice cream
As if a painting come to life

She walked towards the bear, holding it up high and tilting her head. Who would do such thing? Then she felt two hands fall on top of her shoulders. The person behind her spun her around and to her surprise, she saw a well-dressed Kris right in front of her. She tried hard not to look at him in the eyes since his eyes, filled with love and care, were boring on hers.

Surprised? Kris finally spoke, letting out a nervous sigh.

She was speechless. She could not help but cup again, noticing the hard work he had put in to making her house look like a fairytale. For a moment, she thought she would run away from what was happening, but she had to face the reality of things.

Look, Jessica. This may be a little but awkward to you, buy I— He took a deep breath and said it in one breathing. I like you— No, I love you.

She was taken aback. “Kris, I—”

He cut her off by saying, “Even before we met.”

She was now completely taken aback by his sudden confession. How could he have known me even before? “But how…” was all she could ask out of all the confusion she was experiencing.

He pointed at Yoona behind him, who was caught giggling to herself. She saw that Jessica was looking at her with a hint of anger. She quickly cleared and walked to the bathroom, vanishing from their sight.

“Did she tell you bad things about me?” She looked at him worriedly, hoping that her friend did not tell him anything embarrassing.

Luckily, he shook his head. “She actually told me lots of good things about you which made me excited to go back here in Korea.”

She felt showing off a small smile. She never felt so happy knowing that someone had been excited to meet her. “Well, I’m glad she didn’t tell you anything else other than the good things.”

“It’s because she thinks that we look good together, that’s why she told me things about you,” he said, nodding.

Her eyes widened as she looked back, staring at the bathroom’s door. LIM YOONA, YOU ARE SO DEAD.

“Though I’ll have to agree with her on that.” He nodded again. “I think we do look good together.”

She cupped her own cheeks, covering her tomato-like face from his. “I… I don’t know what to say…”

“You have to think fast, Ms. Jung.” He grabbed the talking bear from the couch and held it out in front of her. “Will you be mine?”

For a moment, she thought that maybe things were going too fast, but then, she believed that the heart always go first. “I’d love to,” she smiled, not thinking twice. On second thought, thank you Lim Yoona.

He sighed in great victory and gave her the bear. He also pulled out a bouquet of pink roses from his back, giving it to her a bit shyly. She took the flowers wholeheartedly and gave him a peck on his cheek. He felt his cheeks getting warm as he saw her pulling back, smiling at him as if she was a true goddess that descended from the heavens.

The two of them turned their heads towards the bathroom as Yoona clapped her hands while she was leaning on the wall. “Bravo, bravo~ A new couple’s born!” She walked in between Kris and Jessica and slung her arms around their necks. “So… Can we eat now?”

Jessica laughed at how her friend was being dorky. “You. You have to tell me things at the table, okay? You owe me lots of stories,” she said, bumping her head lightly to Yoona’s head.

Kris looked at her and his cousin. I can’t believe these two actually exist in my life. He laughed along with Jessica and led them to the table where an array of different kinds of food were placed.