And He Swears Nothing Is Wrong

And He Swears Nothing Is Wrong

Chanyeol is grumpy today, Jongin notes. It shouldn't be a big deal. People get into these types of moods all the time. Only it is because Chanyeol never gets grumpy. Jongin hates to admit it, even if it's just to himself, but he's worried about Chanyeol. He tells himself it's only because it's weird not seeing Chanyeol's stupid toothy smile or hearing his loud goofy laugh and that is true, but there might be a little more to it than Jongin is willing to admit. Truth be told, Jongin loves the sound of Chanyeol's laugh and the way he lights up when he genuinely laughs or smiles. He loves the way Chanyeol's eyes crinkle around the edges and do that stupid twitchy thing. 

Sitting next to Mr. Grumpy in the van, Jongin tries to cheer him up. He pokes Chanyeol in his side, expecting Chanyeol to squeal and attempt to retaliate, but he doesn't. He gives Jongin a look that says 'cut it out' and turns his gaze back to the window. This makes Jongin feel annoyed and he should just give up because he doesn't need anyone to take their anger out on him, only he can't. Chanyeol always goes out of his way to make Jongin smile whenever he's feeling down or is in a bad mood and puts up with all of Jongin's rude comments and looks. Deciding to reverse their roles today, Jongin pokes Chanyeol again and whispers, "I'm gonna get you to smile.", which earns an eye-roll.

When they get to the TV studio for their pre-recorded performance, Jongin runs into the building before any of the other members and heads straight for the vending machine on the third floor. Chanyeol loves the animal crackers from here. Jongin usually argues that they're unhealthy and that he can get them from any convenience store, but Chanyeol insists that they're just not the same from anywhere else. Using all the cash he has on him, he buys six boxes of the cookies and carries them to Chanyeol. He lays them on the table where Chanyeol is getting his hair and make-up done.

 

"Here you go.", Jongin says feeling pleased with himself.

 

"I'm not hungry, but thanks anyway.", was the reply he got.

 

Jongin wants to rip open the package of cookies and crush them over Chanyeol's head or shove them in his mouth or something. He just paid twelve dollars for six small boxes of animal crackers and that was all he got? Determined to not let this get to him and plastering a smile on his face, Jongin took a deep breath.

 

"No problem. Just save them for later or whatever.", he says before walking away before the other has a chance to answer him back.

 

He can feel the other members staring at him, but he ignores them. If he thinks about it too long, Jongin might snap at them and they definitely don't need two members in a bad mood. Moody Chanyeol is bad enough, Jongin thinks. He sits down and gets his own hair and make-up done, but he keeps glancing at Chanyeol who is now sitting on the couch in their dressing room. A few people ask Chanyeol if he's okay and he puts a smile on his face and assures them that he's fine, but Jongin knows better. Jongin knows his job is nowhere near done and when they're waiting to perform, he makes sure Chanyeol knows.

 

"A thank you for the cookies would have been nice, ya know. Also, this little sulky mood you're in doesn't suit you. Cheer up, Mr. Grumpy.", Jongin tells him before sending him off to perform with  a pat on the .

 

The look on Chanyeol's face shows Jongin that he was caught off guard and Jongin can't help but smile. They finish after only one take, which makes them all happy. Even Mr. Grumpy. He is smiling a little bit, though it doesn't reach his eyes. Jongin feels a little hurt and maybe a little jealous when he sees Chanyeol joking around with Baekhyun. It hadn't been Baekhyun that had been trying all day to cheer Chanyeol up. It hadn't been Baekhyun who bought twelve dollars worth of animal crackers, but it was Baekhyun who was getting rewarded.

 

"They're just best friends, don't worry about it.", Sehun says, making Jongin jump in surprise.

"Did I say anything?", Jongin asks, hating the way the words come out.

"You didn't have to.", is all that's said, before Sehun makes his way over to the rest of the members.

 

When they're all back in the van, Jongin doesn't want to sit next to Chanyeol, but somehow it ends up that way. He waits for Chanyeol to apologize for being so mopey, but looking at him, he sees that Mr. Grumpy is still with them. Only Chanyeol could be so over the top with his bad mood. Jongin is so lost in his thoughts about Chanyeol that he doesn't realize that they've stopped at a coffee shop. The other members had apparently talked the managers into stopping.

 

"Come on! We only have 30 minutes. Order your drinks and right back to the van!", shouts one of the managers.

"Aren't you coming, grumpy?", Jongin asks when he sees that the other isn't moving.

 

All he gets his a shake of the head. Jongin wants to kick the other in the shin, but he does have some self-control. As he gets out of the van, he sees that Kyungsoo is waiting for him. The sight helps Jongin relax a little. He walks up to his hyung and throws an arm around the older boys shoulder.

 

"What's wrong with Chanyeol?", Kyungsoo questions as they walk to the counter.

"Who knows? Who cares? Not me.", Jongin says before he places his order and he can tell Kyunsoo is going to lecture him on being nicer to his hyungs, but stops when he hears his order. "Hi, can I get two medium strawberry smoothies?"

"You ordered one for Chanyeol too? That's nice of you.", Sehun whispers to him.

 

Jongin rolls his eyes and tries to fight the blush making its way up to his cheeks. He wants nothing more than to hit Sehun, but unfortunately his hands are full. He opts for tripping him instead. His right foot shoots out and the maknae goes tumbling straight into Kris, which is exactly what he’d wanted. Kris immediately puts on his leader face and scolds Sehun. Jongin has to hide his laughter, because the last thing he wants is to hear a lecture on how he should be nice to his fellow members. Anyway, Chanyeol had all the nice right out of him.

 

“Here. It’s strawberry. I don’t know what flavor you like, so if you don’t like it just, I don’t know. Give it away.”, Jongin lies, shoving the smoothie into the older boys hands.

 

Jongin knows strawberry is his favorite flavor. He watches as Chanyeol’s face goes from pouty to surprised to a look Jongin can’t really place, until it finally settle into a small smile. Chanyeol mumbles a ‘thanks’ and Jongin has to turn the other way to hide the smile that’s formed on his own lips.

When they get to the next studio, they all file out and get into place. Jongin watches as Chanyeol puts on his stage smile and he wants to punch him in the face. He hates that smile. He’d rather see Chanyeol frowning, because at least that’d be real, but he knows that’s what has to be done. For the fans. They won’t know the difference. Not like Jongin knows.

Chanyeol is uncharacteristically quiet during their interview, but vocal enough to not catch any attention. Jongin is on the opposite end of the seating line, which gives him the perfect view of Chanyeol. He watches as his real smile emerges every once in a while and can’t help the small smile that makes its way to his lips.

About a third way through the interview, Chanyeol catches Jongin staring at him throws him a smile. It’s a smile that Jongin has never seen before. It’s different from his ‘amused’ smile and less toothy than his ‘fake’ one, but it is genuine, Jongin decides. He flashes a quick smile back to the now happy boy across from him and then gives the hosts his undivided attention. It was too easy to get lost in Chanyeol.

When they finally get back to the dorms, everyone jumps out and stretches, happy to be home finally. Jongin starts to make his way into the dorms, but feels someone tugging him back. He turns back to see Chanyeol’s hand on his elbow.

The both of them wait for the rest of the guys to get inside, when Jongin finds himself being pulled into Chanyeol’s arms for a big hug. Chanyeol pulls him in close and tucks Jongin in perfectly under his chin. He doesn’t fight the hug. He lets himself be pulled into the taller boys embrace.

Hugging isn’t usually Jongin’s thing, but he can’t bring himself to mind because Chanyeol is so incredibly warm and smells so good. He also can’t help but notice the perfect height difference. They stand there hugging for what feels like an eternity and yet not quite long enough before Chanyeol breaks the silence.

 

“Sorry I was such an today.”, Chanyeol apologizes, while rubbing circles into Jongin’s back. “And thank you, for, you know, everything. I really appreciate it.”

 

Jongin scoffs in reply, because if he doesn’t he might just burst into tears.

 

“Please, I didn’t do it for you. I just didn’t want the fans to worry about their ‘Happy Oppa’.”

 

Chanyeol chooses that moment to pull away and finds himself wishing he hadn’t. He would live in Chanyeol’s arms if he could. Chanyeol looks at him then and Jongin notices it’s the same look Chanyeol had given him earlier in the van. There’s something about the way he looks at Jongin that makes him feel like his knees are turning to jello.

his lips, Chanyeol leans in closer to Jongin and he thinks this might be the best ‘thank you’ he’s ever gotten. They’re so close and Jongin wants nothing more than to close the space between them when Sehun turns the corner with a loud, “GUYS I FOUND THEM!”

Sehun smirks when he sees the daggers Jongin is throwing his way. Payback really is a , Jongin thinks.

 

“We’re splitting chores up. Come on.”, Sehun says before leaving them alone again.

 

Jongin sighs as Sehun turns the corner and Chanyeol smiles down at him. He realizes that he just let Chanyeol know that he was disappointed that they got interrupted and his face flames red.

 

“I guess we better go then.”, Chanyeol says.

 

Before Jongin can move or reply or even blink, Chanyeol leans forward and presses his lips to Jongin’s. It was soft, sweet and quick. Then Chanyeol is walking off yelling out to the other members.

 

“YAH! JONGIN IS TRYING TO HIDE FROM HIS CHORES!”

 

And usually Jongin would get annoyed or roll his eyes, but he finds himself smiling because that’s (his) Chanyeol.