Winter Under the Sky

Winter Under the Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hi, Jiwoo oppa,” Yoona muttered and placed a bouquet of roses on top of Jiwoo’s grave. “Sorry I’m late. The traffic jam was really a disaster,” she mumbled a joke to heat up the atmosphere.

Sungjo chuckled at Yoona’s words and he slipped his hands into his coat pockets. The winter coolness was breezing through his skin, although it was still the third day of winter.

Yoona bent down to her knees and her hands touching the ground. “Why…” she muttered. “Why didn’t you tell me…?”

She wept off a tear that has just trailed on her cheek and sniffed. “You could just tell me… or else I won’t be this hurt…” she sobbed and her shoulders shrugged a bit as she sniffed again.

“I never knew this would happen to you…” she muttered and another cheek trailed from her cheek, but she didn’t wipe it off. “If I would, I would spend your last seconds with you by your side… although I know it’s not forever…”

Sungjo felt a pain throb trough his chest and his eyes were getting watery. Not wanting Yoona too see him weak, he averted his gaze from her and immediately wiped the tear on the edge of his eye that was about to fall.

It hurts to see his best friend gone. It hurts to see his neighbor gone. It hurts to see the ones who loved him cry and feel sorry for themselves. But he knows… he mustn’t feel sorry for that. Because…

Humans don’t last long.

He heard Yoona sob again and turned his gaze back to her. Although he couldn’t see her face and just her coat covered back, he’s fine with it. He appreciates that and he doesn’t want to disturb either.

Yoona sniffed and she bent her body closer to the ground. “You are the most inspired person that I’ve ever known in my whole live… ever,” she mumbled and sniffed again. “It hurts to see you no longer in this world…” she started to sob again.

“And we only met for two months and two weeks.”

Sungjo clenched a fist as Yoona said those words. *Why can’t he live longer?* he thought sadly but his feelings were mixed with anger. *He left a person who loved him besides me…*

Yoona mumbled other words, but Sungjo didn’t hear it. A few minutes later, she stood up and wiped all of her tears that were covering her face with her sleeve.

Warmth spread all over her shoulder as someone gripped her shoulders; comforting. “Let it all out…” Sungjo muttered in Yoona’s left ear. Yoona nodded and sniffed again before she glanced back at the latter.

“I want to see his parents…”

Sungjo immediately froze upon hearing Yoona’s request. He stopped patting Yoona’s shoulders and pulled off his hand.

“H-his… parents…?” Sungjo muttered. Yoona nodded surely, making Sungjo gulp and stared at her with fear eyes.

The latter raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong?” she asked bewildered. Sungjo shook his head slowly before plastering a small smile over his lips.

“Jiwoo’s parents…” he mumbled and stared straight at Yoona’s eyes. “You want to meet them?”

Without hesitant, Yoona nodded surely, making Sungjo gulp again.

He gripped Yoona’s wrist and pulled to another side of the area. Yoona who’s confused asked him, “Where are we going?”

Sungjo—still pulling her—without looking back at Yoona, he sighed. “You said you want to meet his parents?” he asked.

Yoona widened her eyes. “Well, yeah. But—”

“Then let’s go,” he cut her off and held Yoona’s grip tighter.

*Where is he taking me to?* Yoona asked to herself and by a minute, they arrived at another spot of the area.

*Grave?* Yoona thought and she glanced at Sungjo. Sungjo’s hands were still gripping on Yoona’s wrist, but she didn’t mind at all.

“Hello… uncle and aunt…” Sungjo muttered in front of two graves and let go of Yoona’s hands. Yoona looked bewildered and she followed his gaze. She saw two names.

Gong Sungwoo.

Song Jiahn.

*Uh-oh…* her eyes started to be watery. *Please don’t tell me…*

“This…” Sungjo glanced at Yoona and he pointed politely at the two graves. “Is Jiwoo’s parents.”

A pang could be felt in Yoona’s chest. She crouched down to her knees and tears escaped from her eyes. *His parents… died…?*

“H-how…?” Yoona muttered low. Her gaze was still locked at Jiwoo’s parents.

Sungjo sighed and glanced at Yoona for a split second before his eyes were back to Jiwoo’s parents. “I don’t know what really happened…” he started. “But from Jiwoo’s point of view, he said that his parents died in a plane crash.”

Yoona instantly glanced at Sungjo. Her eyes were sparked of curiosity and bewilderment.

“Please tell me even more about Jiwoo-oppa’s parents, Sungjo-ssi,” she pleaded. Sungjo let out a heavy sigh and ran his hand over his hair.

“W-what…?”

Sungjo nodded firmly and turned his gaze back to Yoona. The girl looks sad and shocked at the same time. Yoona was playing with her fingers, but her body froze at her spot.

“B-but how h-he did manage to find his pa-parents…?” she stuttered.

The latter blew out a heavy sigh and looked back at the sky. “The police found them two weeks after the incident in the plane while they were investigating and finding some of passenger’s dead bodies. No one survived at that crash.”

*No one survived…* she sadly thought and lowered her head.

Sungjo lifted up Yoona’s chin and the girl startled. Their gazes locked with each other, and somehow, Yoona couldn’t let her eyes off from his dark orbs.

“Don’t be sad,” Sungjo smiled weakly. “Everything’s a past, now. Like your parents, right?”

Yoona nodded weakly and Sungjo released his grip. Yoona lowered her head again and played with her fingers nervously.

Her heart was beating in a fast pace at Sungjo did just awhile ago. She placed her palm on her chest and tried to control her breath. *What happened to me…?*

Suddenly Sungjo stood up, making Yoona startled in surprise and looked up at the male. Sungjo looked down to Yoona and smiled. “Let’s go home. Hum?” he asked.

The latter blinked once and processed Sungjo’s words. After she realized what he meant, Yoona stood up and nodded firmly while holding her bag’s strap tightly.

The male smiled and offered his hand. Yoona gladly accepted it and they left with Sungjo’s car to Seoul.

“You’re house is quite big, huh?”

Yoona chuckled at the male’s statement. “You’ve been here before, Sungjo-ssi,” she mumbled and unlocked the door to her house.

Sungjo raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, but I’ve stated my opinion just now,” he replied back, earning a roll on the eye by the female.

“Do you want to come in and have some warm hot chocolate?” Yoona asked. “I owe you, and besides. This is winter time!”

The latter chuckled at her offer and he nodded his head. Yoona smiled widely and stepped inside her house, followed by Sungjo from behind.

She dimmed on the lights and the sight of her living room was revealed. Sungjo’s lips slightly apart as he saw what’s inside Yoona’s house.

There could be seen a red maroon long couch in the middle, with two individual red maroon couches in the sides. Between those three couches, placed an antique wooden table covered with a white table cloth. The walls were painted white, but because of the slight yellow light, the walls seemed so stunning. There’s also stairs that goes up to the second floor.

He took of his shoes and slipped his feet to the slippers that were prepared by Yoona, still with his gaze looking around the house.

“Wow…” he was stunned as he saw a picture of a sunset that was displayed right beside of the right of him. The paint was just stunning and Sungjo seemed to can’t keep his eyes off that picture.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter