With One Last Glance

With One Last Glance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Despite the golden, warm sun shining up in the sky, the glass windows mist up.

It’s a chilly morning.

Choi Sooyoung watches the steady breeze brush past everything it passes by, sending every leaf in its way fluttering, some falling off the branches that have been their homes; the mild gasps and shrieks of some women as they hold down their skirts and precariously arranged hair reaching her ears.

Sooyoung reaches a manicured finger out, draws a heart on the fogged window and quickly draws back her hand, grinning to herself like a kid who’s done a prank but is never caught. She is grateful for the tall, warm mug of Chamomile tea before her and the maroon Gryffindor hoodie her best friend has allowed her to borrow. She’s made the mistake of pairing it up with a pair of ripped denim shorts but she doesn’t mind.

She’s warm enough despite the chilly morning.

She hears someone plunk his or her person down on the seat across her and she straightens up; the words at the tip of her tongue remaining where they are when she sees who it is.

“Hey.”

He still has the same twinkle in his eyes that she hasn’t seen for three years now.

“Hey.” The brunette greets back hesitantly, smiling once she’s finally recovered from her shock. “What are you doing here?”

“What does one do in a café?” Lee Donghae shoots back in amusement.

She rolls her eyes despite it all – despite the fact that a man she hasn’t seen in three years has suddenly plopped down on the bench in front of her, despite the fact that the said man has once been the Prince Philip to her Princess Aurora once up a time.

“Long time no see, oppa.”

“Too long.” He quips casually yet the meaning is still there.

Once upon a time, it would have sent a rather pleasant tingling feeling up and down her spine.. But that’s once upon a time. She no longer lives in once upon a time any longer. “So, what’s up with you?”

“Many things, really, but still somewhat the same old… you know. You?”

“Grew up, got older, change here, there. You know the drill.”

Donghae spares her chosen drink a quick glance. “You didn’t like drinking tea back then.”

“Times change, people change, you know?” She takes a long swig of her tea to prove her point.”

“Hold on a moment.”

He slides out of the booth smoothly and she watches with some amusement as he heads to the counter to order food. Sooyoung shakes her head, not surprised in the slightest, and goes on to stare out the frosted window while she holds onto a moment, as he has asked. She’s not looking at anything, really, but it seems like she’s unconsciously searching for something; too absorbed by her thoughts to properly notice.

Sooyoung snaps out of her thoughts when she hears the sound of a plate being put on the table, signalling his return. She sifts her attention; her eyes widening and watering at the perfect slice of perfect chocolate cake that she sees beside her tall, warm mug of Chamomile tea.

“You remember.”

Donghae taps the side of his head. “I’ve got good memory.”

Her eyes stay glued to the cake. “So I’ve noticed.”

“You still like that cake.” It’s a statement, not a question, and he hands her a fork. “You’ve really changed but only enough to still keep you the Sooyoung I know.”

She shoots him a bewildered look. “This is for me?”

The dark haired man nods once. “My treat. We haven’t seen each other for a long time.”

“Aren’t you eating?”

“Later.”

She leaves it at that, getting quite a large forkful of the gooey, fudgy chocolate cake and popping it in . A low hum of delight escapes and he chuckles, watching her eat like it’s the most interesting thing in the world. More often than not, she offers him a bite, reminding him over and over again that he paid for it. He gives in just once and she holds out a forkful of the cake and he inches his lips closer, taking it all and smiling gratefully as he chews.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter