Part 1

Armin's Leaf [Armin X OC FanFiction]

The wind churned as little drops of rain fell right outside. The vine had already wilted at the wall opposite of Rei's window. There were ten leaves attached to the violet-colored vine when she first arrived, and only five were left—including today. She was staring at it ever since she got hospitalized—all because of the Titan who bit her right arm off. She won't be able to join the Scouting Legion, no longer join her only friends—Mikasa, Eren, and of course, Armin— in fighting the Titans until they become extinct.

 

Speaking of Armin, wasn't he supposed to visit her today?

 

A knock on the door made her jump. 

 

"Come in," she croaked. She hastily drank the glass of water on top of her wooden dresser by her bed. Armin poked his head in.

"Hello, Rei," he greeted. 

"Armin," Rei muttered, a little smile traced her face. "How's the Scouting Legion?"

 

Armin scratched his head, then he entered. He wore his uniform as a member of the Scouting Legion under a green hooded jacket. He was half-soaked from the rain, but he gave Rei a look that he's just fine.

 

"Not really good," he said, opening one of the cabinets and pulling out a blue towel. "Heichou had to cancel the expedition on taking the fields outside Trost because of the rain." He stood at Rei's bedside, sat at the wooden stool, and placed her glass of water on top of the dresser.

 

"How are you?" he asked. "You need something? Food? Water?"

Rei shook her head at first, then she stared outside. Armin followed her gaze, then she pointed at the vine swaying wildly in the winds.

 

"You see that vine, Armin?" she asked, her smile slowly fading. "I—I think its connected to me somehow..."

"What do you mean 'connected'?" Armin asked. "Do you know that plant? Can it cure you?"

Rei wailed her head, then replied, "No, but... I was thinking... If the last leaf falls, I'll die too."

"What?!"

"I mean— there were ten leaves when I arrived, and, I have been here for five days already and there were five leaves left, so—"

"Don't even say that!" Armin said, holding her left hand tightly. "Listen, Rei Milfiore, you're going to live, okay? You're going to live!"

"As what? As a helpless human? A ready-to-eat morsel for Titans?" Rei reasoned, "It'd be so much better if I die not in the hands of Titans."

"We'll find a cure for that infection, Rei," Armin said, gritting his teeth. "We'll find a way to make a new arm for you."

"You know that its impossible," Rei muttered, covering herself with the blanket.

 

She heard the stool move, then Armin said, "I'll get you your dinner. I'll tell Mikasa and Eren to come here tomorrow, if the rain continues."

 

With that final note, he left, shutting the door. Rei hugged herself underneath the covers. She peeked over the blanket one last time, before her eyes drifted to sleep, and watched one leaf detach itself from the vines.