Ready or Not

Ready or Not

      The clock ticked by at an abnormally slow pace. School was about to let out for the day and Jonghyun could only hear the clicking of the clock as he glanced back and forth from the clock to you. Your rich hair that you always thought was out of place. Pretty pink lips formed a smile that made Jonghyun giddy inside. His palms grew sweaty and a single drop trickled down his temple. He tapped his foot impatiently. He wasn’t sure whether he was going to chicken out again or not.

                “Are you ready or not, Kim Jonghyun?” He asked himself in a quiet whisper that no one but himself could hear.

                You bopped your head and stared at the teacher with droopy eyelids that were ready to collapse. You couldn’t feel the eyes on your back. A slight breeze ruffled through the room. It flitted across papers, scattering them everywhere. You let out a gasp as the notes you tried to take, mixed with everyone else’s. Jonghyun took note that he never wrote down a word. He would have to con the notes out of someone.

He relinquished a sigh and picked up his blank papers before his eyes caught you. He ran over with his papers and grabbed yours before you had the chance to locate all of them. You brushed your hair behind your ear and made eyes contact with the tanned male with the light chocolate orbs. You giggled and thanked him for your papers.

                `Are you ready or not?` Jonghyun’s conscious asked.

                His mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water. You smiled and tilted your head.

                “Do you need something?”

                `Are you ready or not?`

                “Would you like to go get coffee with me? After school?” He stumbled over his words like a child and cursed in his head.

                `Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.`

                You smile your brilliant smile and Jonghyun felt his knees go weak.

                “Of course.”

                “O-Okay. Do you want to meet there – or” He didn’t know what to do now and he was sweating again.

                “I’ll meet you there.”

                The bell suddenly dismissed them and you waved by to an astonished teenage boy.

********************

                The clock ticked across from me at the small café near the school. Jonghyun was afraid that she wouldn’t show up; that she would have changed her mind. He tapped his nails on the table and the not-as-pretty-as you waitress scampered up to see if he was ready to order. He only looked for you and shook his head when you weren’t in his sights. He heaved a sigh when ten more minutes passed and was about to give up. He looked up when the bells went off, signaling a new customer. You ran through the door looking slightly out of breath.

When you saw him waiting for you, you smiled. You tried to calm your breathing as you took the only other seat at the couple table. The waitress then came back with a disdainful look on her face. She took their orders and was off. You got a bubble tea while Jonghyun got a shaved ice mocha frappe. He sipped at the cool drink and avoided eye contact. Now that you were there, he didn’t know what to do.

“Why did you ask me out here?” You asked and sipped from your own straw.

You stared him down and giggled at his childishness.

“Uh—“ He didn’t know what to say.

`Are you ready or not?`

                You were about to open your mouth but he beat you to it.

                “I think you are really pretty!” He blurted out and tried to hide his embarrassment behind the coffee cup he had.

                You broke into a fit of laughter and he looked at your with sat dino eyes. You just smiled and looked him in the eyes.

                “Are you ready or not?” A bit of mischief played in your eyes as he slowly nodded his head.

                He then noticed that your hands were linked and he squeezed your hand gently.

                `I’m ready.`