To Be There

To Be There

If anything, BoA’s presence seemed misplaced.

The small yet cosy coffee shop bustled with a rather unbelievable amount of excitement as the volume of chatter rose, but not past the point of comfort. Everyone around her chatted amicably with one another. In one direction, she could vaguely make out the exchange of the whispers of sweet nothings between a couple. In another, she could hear a baby giggling as its parents made those awkward, lovey-dovey noises to shower her with affection. And in one more, a group of girls laughed as they shared the recent gossip from the nearby university.

So, yes, her presence was definitely misplaced, she concluded. There she was, alone as a small two-seater right by the window waiting for her boyfriend. It was only supposed to be a five minute wait, though that quickly turned to ten, fifteen, and then had reached forty-five without even a hint of him showing up or even notifying her in any manner to make up for his lack of presence. She was beyond the point of being angered, for she quickly adapted to this recent development. She figured that if he wasn’t even going to try, why should she?

But suddenly, she found her favourite drink (Venti iced white mocha, no whipped cream) being placed in front of her as a man sat in front of her with an identical drink, a half-playful-smirk-half-smile playing along his lips.

She sighed, taking the drink. “What are you doing here, Donghae?”

No, Donghae was not her boyfriend. Rather, he was her best friend in the most unusual manner, their banter being rather famous amongst their peers.

“Helping out the starving poor.”

“I am not poor!” She lightly exclaimed, enough for her to make her point without attracting unwanted attention.

“So she says.”

“Oi!” She pointed her finger accusingly at him. “Don’t just waltz into my personal space and act like it’s yours.”

He feigned a shock, dramatically placing his hand over his heart. “And I thought I held a special place in your heart, BoA.”

“Hmph.” She had no reply for him, and she was certainly not going to admit that she rather enjoyed his presence. It was honestly a much more relaxing contrast to the near hour she spent alone waiting for a man that probably wouldn’t even show up.

Donghae dropped the act. “What’s wrong?”

Again, BoA sighed, knowing that he had that uncanny capability of reading her like an open book. “Same as always.”

“Why don’t you just dump his already?”

She had asked herself that question many times as well, and she was still trying to find a rather fitting and suitable answer.

“Maybe I’m just masochistic.”

“Trust me, even if you weren’t, you’re doing a great job on that act.”

“Your sarcasm is not needed, Lee.

“Noted.” He gave a smug reply as he sipped on his drink. “What were you gonna do in case he showed?”

BoA thought back…what was she going to do? Had she been so preoccupied about the fact that she expected him not to show up that she didn’t even bother planning ahead? Her bewilderment did not go unnoticed by Donghae, in which he smirked in response.

“My, my, for one who’s usually so organised, you’re rather lost, aren’t you?”

She scowled at him, taking a big sip from her drink. “Give me a break, I’m still new at this.”

“You mean the whole relationship thing?”

She was actually rather surprised when he said that. It didn’t sound like he was mocking her that time, but rather, he sounded almost disgusted.

“…Yes?”

He looked at the window, taking another sip of his drink. “Even with your inexperience, you don’t even deserve this type of relationship…”

“What are you saying?”

Donghae suddenly glared at her. “BoA.” He pronounced each syllable of her name with emphasis. “Forgive me if I’m crossing any boundaries by saying your supposed boyfriend is a horrible person, but he is. Even with your inexperience…his lack of commitment is inexcusable.”

“You…actually sound like you care.” She choked. Why was it so uncomfortable for her to hear those words?

“Someone has to, right?”

She was thankful for the gesture, but still, it was unnatural. They both knew that boundary, and both their words masked their true intentions towards each other, a mutual understanding of some sort. Everyone knew they cared for each other, but their words (the words themselves, and not their underlying meaning) contradicted that.

Suddenly, her phone began to vibrate. The Caller ID was clear, her boyfriend, after one hour, finally calling her. She didn’t even bother thinking of all the scenarios that would probably emerge had she not accepted his excuses, so she just sighed, looking at Donghae, who was now staring expectantly at her, as if telling her to tell him something…anything.

“…It’s him.”

He nodded, sighing as he crossed his arms, looking out the window once more in contemplation.

“Listen…” She began. “Donghae-”

“You don’t need to explain.” He interrupted, which disappointed her. At least, until he continued. “Just know…I’m here for you.”

She smiled, packing her things as well as taking the drink that he bought for her. “Because someone has to be, right?”

His smirk was the only response she needed.