Turn of Events

Turn of Events

Kyungsoo rubbed his aching neck, muttering curses silently. Should he know that his latest patient would be that troublesome he would have end the day’s counseling there. How nice would it be if he could lay down there on that comfortable couch, forgetting about all his patient’s trouble including that middle-aged woman coming in every few days just to complain about her dissatisfaction towards her boss and how she couldn’t understand how she, despite her age and long contribution to the company, still hadn’t gotten promoted into a more proper position.

How he wished that he could just shoo the woman away and bluntly told her that she didn’t need a psychologist’s help; complaining less would work just fine. But of course he couldn’t say that. People expected him to be understanding and calm. He often felt amused on how his patients loved the way he looked at them in silence as if he was analyzing something in his head which proved their theory that they really did have problems; while actually Kyungsoo was just wondering what he would eat for dinner and if the pretty girl he met on a blind date before would finally answer his call.

Sometimes Kyungsoo thought that he, himself might need a psychologist’ help.

A knock on the door tore him out of his ponder and Kyungsoo quickly fixed his clean, expensive looking coat. Just deal with this last patient and see whatever her problem is, he thought. His assistant came in after Kyungsoo announced her to come in. A girl in her early 30’s which wasn’t attractive at all but he had hired for her impressive qualification. So far he wasn’t disappointed. His assistant, Ms. Song, quietly exited again after he gave a brief nod and a moment later a soft knock was heard on the door. This time a girl in her mid 20’s came in.

Kyungsoo had to remind himself not to stare and made himself looked like an idiot. But staring felt like couldn’t be helped. He had expected a young woman to come, but he never knew that the girl would be that stunningly beauty. There was hesitation in her doe-like eyes and she seemed like she didn’t know what to do. Suddenly he was reminded of wild-flowers at the side of the road; pretty but abandoned. This girl gave that kind of feel.

He was quick to take a hold of himself and immediately asked her to sit. The girl sat without much hesitation this time and Kyungsoo quickly glanced towards the paper on his desk; Im Yoona. He cleared his throat and put on the most professional expression he could muster.

“So Ms. Im Yoona,” his eyes flew to her hand as he spoke and caught a white gold ring twined around her ring-finger. His mood dropped automatically, “how can I help you?” he continued, much less enthusiastic than before.

Yoona didn’t answer. She kept looking down on the floor and played with her ring nervously. He just stared at her for a while and then shifted his eyes unsurely to the time-counter he prepared on the desk. Time was ticking and the girl still wasn’t willing to speak. Kyungsoo might not be the top psychologist out there, but his price couldn’t be perceived as cheap either. He struggled to stop himself from frowning. Could this girl even pay?

She suddenly opened and Kyungsoo waited with an expectant expression. It started to seem like a waste of time if she insisted to be mute like that.

“It’s about- my husband.” she paused again, a new emotion appear on her face. Something which seemed like- panic?

He was close to sighing. The talk about husband would revolve around the similar things. Husbands were too workaholic; husbands were too insensitive; husbands had an affair…

Kyungsoo examined Yoona’s expression again. Could it be the last? But she was so young; she couldn’t be married for long enough for the husband to get bored of her. And she was still pretty… blooming.

“I have to go.” she suddenly announced, bringing Kyungsoo back from his daydream. The latter wasn’t even able to stop her as she reached the door and slammed it behind her, leaving Kyungsoo alone in his thought, wondering; confused.

He wondered if he would ever meet that weird girl again.

_____

 

Yoona was appalled. The promised time had passed half an hour ago but still there was no sign of Sooyeon or any news at all of her whereabouts. She hated to wait, hated the uncertainty. And most of all, she had many better places to go rather than being there, waiting for her friend which she didn’t know would really come or not.

Another 10 minutes later she spotted her brown hair descended from a white, luxurious car hastily. Yoona could only steal a few seconds gaze to the driver; a boy who looked around their age or just a little bit older; whom she could see even from the distance, smiling widely as he bid Sooyeon goodbye. But then Sooyeon closed the door, waving to the closed window and then cantered towards Yoona. While Yoona’s attention was long shifted from her friend; to a boy she knew nothing about, the one she had already wished to have e few more encounters with. But how could that be possible?

_____

 

The clock already struck nine when Kyungsoo took off his coat and loosened his tie. Another long day of work; he felt like all his energy was already drained away from him. He took his phone; checking several messages from her latest date. The girl had already returned his calls, and had been even more aggressive than he ever was. He chuckled; so what were the few days of ignoring his calls meant? The girl was playing hard to get, he understood; but he couldn’t help to lose interest either. At least he wasn’t the one initiating the boring push and pull game.

He deleted all her messages without mercy and then put the phone back down. Too bad; he really was attracted to that girl. Maybe not in the sweetest way; but who was there to judge? Every attraction started from the appearance.

A knocked interrupted his mind, and Ms. Song opened the door slightly.

“There’s someone here who wants to meet you, Mr.Do. But she didn’t make appointment before. Would you meet her?”

He was annoyed. Ms. Song should know better that a patient without any appointment shouldn’t take his time.

“Is she an old patient?Why would you bother me if she didn’t have any appointment? Tell her to make one later.” he retorted, didn’t try to soften his tone at all. Ms. Song kept a steady face as she answered.

“She’s a new patient, Sir. She only came a few days ago but didn’t finish her counseling. I’ll tell her. I’m sorry to interrupt, Sir.”

“Wait!” Kyungsoo quickly stopped her. An image of a particular girl crossed his mind. “I’ll meet her. Send her in.”

Ms. Song was wise enough to not question the sudden change of decision. She left after bowing slightly, and Kyungsoo waited in anticipation as the patient walked towards his room. He wasn’t disappointed. Walking through the door was the girl he unconsciously kept thinking about here and then. Im Yoona, he remembered her name. She didn’t look lost anymore, but still the nervousness showed. It was still apparent even after she sat down in front of him.

“My husband…” she paused, tears were forming in her eyes. “He had changed.”

Ah, typical; Kyungsoo thought. He didn’t know whether he should feel pity or frustration. She, after all, had the problem Kyungsoo had expected from many married woman who came to seek him before. But did he expect something else? Must be it, since he couldn’t suppress the disappointment; hoping that it wouldn’t be too apparent.

 “What change exactly?” he asked, watching as Yoona answered his question while stuttering. Her answer was the usual ones; he wasn’t passionate, he didn’t care about her anymore. Kyungsoo let his mind flow elsewhere while she talked, but then something caught his eyes. A bruise; on her left arm. The color wasn’t really bright; but Kyungsoo could easily see four finger marks printed on it. He gazed to Yoona’s eyes, this time with a slight worry; but she kept talking so he decided to brush the matter aside.

His job, after all, was only to listen to her problems.

_____

 

If someone asked her a few weeks ago; she wouldn’t have guessed that she would have this opportunity to meet the guy again; the one she latter knew named Donghae who was three years older than her. It felt like a dream come true, but they were becoming familiar to each other. Being close friends of Sooyeon, the two had more chance to know each other. From Sooyeon’s childhood friend, Donghae’s position for Yoona had changed to her date. When Donghae confessed his love three months later, she wasn’t surprised. Sooyeon gave her blessing; and both of them were in a happy relationship for a few months more before getting married.

Only then did Yoona realize that something wasn’t right. When Donghae put a ring on Yoona’s finger and then pulled her into a sweet kiss; she caught Sooyeon’s expression. Her eyes were filled with tears; and it weren’t tears of happiness.

_____

 

Kyungsoo couldn’t stay still. He had scheduled Yoona to meet him that day; but would she come? From their several meetings, it was enough to conclude that Yoona was far from a guessable girl. She would delay their meeting at the last hour or come when he least expected. But still, he was always ready to accept her with open arms; ready to give her his mind and time.

He didn’t need to be worried. Yoona arrived some minutes later; but a new concern appeared on his mind as he saw her. Her eyes were lifeless and she looked like she was about to faint anytime. Kyungsoo quickly scanned her body to see if there was any bruise because he saw one every other time. But there were none. She looked physically healthy except for her eyes which couldn’t seem even deader than they were.

Only when she whispered her first words that day did Kyungsoo understood the situation.

“He left me.” she said, almost inaudibly.

Yoona never came to see him anymore after that day.

_____

 

Yoona wasn’t sure whether marriage life was supposed to be that hard to deal with. Her mom had passed away and her dad wasn’t that dependable for her to ask for advice. Her only friend, Sooyeon, wasn’t married yet to be able to share her story. In fact, she was the source of Yoona’s trouble.

She was fully aware that Sooyeon and Donghae were already friends since forever. She understood that she shouldn’t forbid him to keep their friendship. Sooyeon, after all, was the one who introduced them to each other. But her teary eyes at Yoona’s wedding kept reappearing in her mind and she kept feeling insecure. Was it normal for a husband to prefer to meet his best friend at their first marriage anniversary? It could not be right for him to remember perfectly Sooyeon’s birthday and even prepared a present long before but failed to remember hers?

Sooyeon loved Donghae; Yoona had already been aware of it since a long time ago. Maybe even before the wedding; she had felt it. Her tears only confirmed Yoona’s suspicion.

She never doubted Donghae’s feelings before. Wasn’t he the one who confessed; the one who proposed to her? His feeling should be clear enough.

But Donghae returned home really late that night; looking like he wasn’t willing to stay there in the room with Yoona. Women’s perfume could be smelled from all over his body and she could see a kiss mark on his neck. He murmured something about divorce, but Yoona heard it as clear as a thunder; and suddenly everything exploded.

She yelled; calling Sooyeon, her best friend, some bad names. Donghae’s disagree face only added some fuel to the wrath. She was about to call Sooyeon when Donghae grabbed her arm harshly to stop her. The bruise had healed; but Yoona felt like he could feel the pain even long after. Because it was the first time; the beginning of so many times after that he laid his hand on her.

_____

 

The paper in Kyungsoo’s hand was already crumpled but he still couldn’t make up his mind. He should decide immediately because Yoona’s house was already near yet he still couldn’t form any reason that would sound believable. Would it be too weird if a psychologist came personally to a patient’s home?

He already arrived in front of the tall, black gate. The house was big; too big for her to live alone. Kyungsoo hesitated again for a while before boldly opening the door. Screw everything; he hadn’t seen her for two weeks and he felt like he was losing his mind from wariness.

He didn’t expect her to open the door for him; but she did. Her eyes were puffy and she definitely looked like she was just crying just a second ago. Tears suddenly fell from those beautiful, doe eyes, once she saw me and she buried her face on my chest without any warning; whimpering pitifully.

“Mr. Do, please save me.”

_____

 

“You have to sign it.” Donghae said with a hateful look; but Yoona hid both her hands behind her body, refusing to sign.

“No.” he whispered. “Please, Oppa. What’s with you? We can work this out. We love each other.”  she caught his hand, pleading, but Donghae pulled his hand away, disgusted.

“I don’t love you.” he retorted coldly. “I thought I did, but you are actually just a nuisance who stole some years I could have lived with Sooyeon.” he added. “Sign it, or you’ll pay.” he threatened before turning to walk away with his luggage.

Yoona ran to match his pace.

“Where are you going?” she demanded, panting.

“Away from you.” he replied, taking his car’s key.

“No!” she screamed. “Don’t go.” she managed to catch his hand again, and he stopped, frowning.

“Don’t be pathetic.” he snapped, annoyed; but Yoona shook her head, still not letting ago.

“I can’t live without you.” she begged. “Please don’t go.”

“Give me a reason to stay.” Donghae replied coldly. Yoona opened and closed it again several times; because no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t find any strong reason to convince him to stay. Donghae let out an impatient groan; snapped his hand away from Yoona and started walking again to the door. She glanced, frightened to see that he was reaching the door. She didn’t stop to think and started running, desperately, towards the only man she ever loved.

_____

 

Kyungsoo felt like he was about to throw out. He didn’t know the exact reason on why Yoona decided to believe him; but she had brought him to the spacious back lawn where many flowers bloomed beautifully. But right at the middle was scenery extremely contrasted to the surrounding. The smell was overwhelming that he wondered why the neighbors didn’t suspect anything. But then again, it was a luxurious housing where one house located pretty far from the other. They probably couldn’t smell it.

Yoona stood in silence as Kyungsoo stared at two big plastic bags in dark color. He couldn’t see, but he could tell what were inside judging from the smell. A hole was dug beside them, but definitely wasn’t big enough.

“I wasn’t planning to do it to Sooyeon.” she sobbed. “But she suddenly came, demanding where my husband was, so I had no other choice.” tears were streaming from her eyes and suddenly she looked like the first time Kyungsoo met her. Those beautiful eyes which seemed lost. The abandoned, beautiful wild flower.

He didn’t know why he did that; but his instinct took over. Before he realized it he had planted his lips on hers, kissing her passionately. She returned the kiss; as if she had already expected it. It felt okay even if the smell were stinging his nose; and there were corpses laying just a few meters away from them. All he cared about was the taste of her lips and how amazing it felt to place his hand on her body. He never realized how thirsty he was of her before.

Both of them panted when he pulled away; and he found himself saying.

“You can’t bury them here.”

_____

 

Kyungsoo watched affectionately as his two children running around at their house’s lawn. The eldest was five years old and the other was just three. Both were girls; both looked really alike with their mother.

“Mom!” the elder suddenly squealed, and both of them ran towards their mother who was holding a plate of cookies. Yoona chuckled and bent down, letting them steal one cookie each before running away again

“I feed the fishes!” the younger one suddenly announced, pulling some wild flowers from beside the pond and threw it toward the fishes.

“They don’t eat flowers, you dummy.” the five years old rolled her eyes and then grabbed some fish’ food from a tin box. The fishes quickly swarmed around her.

“Look, Daddy! They swim to me!” he excitedly squealed. He smiled warmly towards both his daughters; they had no idea that the fishes swam above corpses.

Yoona joined their children after lightly giving him a peck on the cheek. She readily agreed when he proposed seven years ago. He knew that he hadn’t earned her heart; it was already given to the man he buried at his own house’s back lawn several months before. He honestly didn’t know what interested her the most; the prospect to live with him or the chance to be near her ex-husband two meters below. He didn’t want to know.

He watched with affectionate gaze as Yoona, his wife, played with their children; happiness emitted all over her and he unconsciously smiled. He didn’t regret anything.

The wild flower had found her home.

 


 

It's a rather creepy happy ending. lol.

Thank you for reading! ^^