Love or Duty?

Love vs Duty(Revised)

 

"I want you to kill this man. He is your next assignment." my boss gave me a picture of a man, probably in his 20's, from across the table. I took the picture in my hand and examined it, including all his information. This should be a piece of cake.

"Jessica, I'm counting you on this case. I'll give you up to 4 months to get rid of him. If you don't by the end of those 4 months, then I will get rid of you." My boss warned me.

"Yes sir, I will not fail you." I promised him. Content spread on his face and left the room. I looked at the picture again and blew air out of my mouth.

"Kris..." I let his unfamiliar name run along my lips. I left the room with his picture and information in hand, going to prepare how to kill my next prey.

 

I arrived at a decent sized house, wearing a casual t-shirt and a pair of denim shorts. I sighed and entered my new 'house'. Once I entered, I wanted to get out of this place immediately! The place was filthy, nasty, and unsanitary! I shivered at the sight in front of me. Setting down my bag, I took out Kris' profile. According to the information given, he should be living next door. Leaving the wretched house, I walked next door, ringing the doorbell. A few moments passed and a familiar face appeared; it was Kris. Completing step 1, it was time to move onto step 2: Getting to know each other.

"Hi there! My name is Jessica, I'm your new neighbor!" I introduced myself, speaking in a fake, cheerful voice. My acting is so fluent, that nobody can tell if I'm acting or not. Sometimes I, myself, don't even know if I'm acting or not. That's how good I am.

"Hello Jessica, I'm Kris. Nice to meet you." Kris politely greeted himself.

"I was wondering Kris, if you would like to spend dinner with me so we can get to know each other!" I proposed. Being straight forward like that probably wasn't the best approach, but I wanted to get this mission over with.

"Tonight? I think that will be fine... ok, I'll meet you at your house at 7." Kris arranged.

"Sounds great! I'll see you tonight!" I put on a fake smile. As I turned around to head back 'home', my smile automatically dropped. Sometimes it's hard to act.

 

It was around 6:55 and I was all ready to go. I waited by the door and constantly looked at my watch. This 'date' needs to end fast so I can go back to doing some research. Finally, it was 7:00 and right on cue, the doorbell rang. I fixed myself in the mirror before opening the door to reveal Kris.

"Hi Kris!" I greeted him.

"Hey, are you ready to go?" he asked me. I nodded and let him lead me to wherever he wanted to go.

We did the usual thing people do: go out to eat and talk. It was... boring, but there was some useful information he told me. Most of the facts he stated, I already knew, so there was nothing else I needed to know.

"So, tell me Kris, what are you allergic to?" I tried getting information that I DON'T have.

"Allergies? I'm not allergic to anything," Kris stated. My should deflated... great. If I can't poison him, then what?!

"Then tell me, what are you allergic to?" Kris asked me the same question.

"I'm am also not allergic to anything," I told him, now in a foul mood.

"Are you done with your coffee? Then we should get going," he pointed out. I nodded and he led me out of the coffee shop.

We were now waiting for the bus, and I was getting really uncomfortable. I have a feeling that someone is looking at me. Turning around, I spotted this 30 year old man staring at me. I jumped and turned back around, trying to ignore his stares. 5 minutes passed and that man is still looking at me. I shifted uncomfortably and stood beside Kris, gently holding his arm. Kris noticed the touch and looked down at me.

"Is there something wrong?" he asked. I just shook my head and told him that it was nothing. Finally, after what seemed like forever, the bus arrived. Kris and I got on the bus, both of us by each other. The bus was so crowded that both of us had to stand up. Even if we were standing up, it was still crowded. Then that feeling came back. I turned to look at my left and saw nobody. I looked to my right... again I saw nobody. Thinking it was nothing, I shrugged it off, but that feeling never left me. I jumped when something, or someone, come up from behind me. Slowly, I turned around behind me and I gulped. That 30 year old man was behind me. I tried getting Kris' attention, but I couldn't since he was far away from me because of all the people on the bus. Plus, the old man was grabbing onto me.

"Excuse me," I heard Kris' voice coming towards me. I looked up and saw him squeezing his way towards me. A few moments passed and he was now right behind me, in front of that creepy man. Kris put his hand on the ceiling since he was so tall, making him look like my little shield.

"K-Kris..." I stuttered. He was really close to me, closer than I wanted. Kris looked down at me and winked. Something weird tugged at my heart. No one has really ever looked at me let alone wink at me.

 

"Well thanks for today, Kris," I thanked him as we got to my front door.

"No problem! We should do this more often, this was fun," he gave me a charming smile. I smiled back and entered my 'home', closing the door behind me. Since I got to officially know him, step 2 is complete and step 3 was in process: Kill him.

Weeks passed, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to get him yet, which irritates me. During the weeks I have failed, Kris was been constantly asked me out to coffee or to simply go out somewhere. Sadly, I cannot refuse his offer, even if I wanted to. What if I miss out on some vital information? I can't afford that. Everything that he tells me can be useful later on. Something isn't right though. When Kris asks me to go out, I am actually... willing to go with him. It's like his eyes are calling for me. There is this, unknown feeling that is starting to build up in my chest. Am I supposed to feel this way? Maybe it's part of the mission... yeah, there's no doubt that it's the mission.

"Focus, Jessica, focus." I cannot simply focus anymore. Every time Kris talks to me, I keep looking in his eyes longer than usual. That unknown feeling starts to rise again in my chest.

 

2 months have finally passed since I've gotten my assignment from my boss. As more times passed, the more I've grown closer to him and the more my heart beats around him. My breathing becomes uneasy whenever he gets close to me and my heart beats uncontrollably when he gives me one of his sweet smiles. What is wrong with me?

By the end of the third month, I have finally figured out everything. I'm in love... in love with Kris. Overtime, I grew to forget the job that was given to me, now I don't even think about it. That unfamiliar feeling in my chest, my beating heart, and my uneasy breathing... there can only be one reason behind all this. I'm in love! There was just something about Kris that makes him shine out from all the others. Not only was he handsome, he was tall, smart, gentle, kind and caring. I was getting ready to meet up with Kris when my cell phone rang. I stopped whatever I was doing and picked up my phone.

"Hello?" I answered

"Jessica," the person on the other line called my name. I stiffened upon hearing the very familiar voice.

"Hello sir," I finally greeted him formally.

"How is the mission going? I take it's going well."

"Y-Yes. It's going perfectly fine!" I reassured him, stuttering a bit. Nothing is okay anymore! I completely forgot about the assignment! What am I supposed to do now?

"Remember what I told you. If you don't get rid of him, I will get rid of you," my boss reminded me and hung up, not saying anything else. It was silent on the other line. I gripped my phone and yelled in frustration, throwing my phone on my couch.

"Why does this have to happen to me?" I talked to myself. I ruffled my hair, letting a sigh leave my lips. The doorbell rang, surprising me. I shuffled to the door, opening it to reveal Kris in casual clothing.

"Ready Jessica?" Kris asked. I nodded wearily, but Kris didn't notice a thing.

"Uhm, actually, give me a minute," I excused myself. I ran to my bedroom, lifted my mattress, and took my dagger out. I hid my dagger in my hidden pocket in my pants, and went back to Kris.

"Ok, I'm ready! Let's go!" I announced and we headed off, into the early night.

"Why did you choose this place? This is only for couples," I pointed out. Kris took me to an amusement park... where many, many dates occur with couples. Kris and I are not a couple!

"Amusement parks aren't only for couples! Friends can go here too! Come on, we have tons of things to do!" Kris put a hand over my shoulder and we walked off.

 

"Ugh, I can't do it!" Kris wanted to play basketball, but I could never get the ball in. I was getting frustrated every time I try.

"You need to move your wrist, like this," Kris stood behind me, positioning my hands on the ball and took the shot for me. As the ball was going in the air, my heart was beating rapidly. Kris was too close to me, it felt like my chest was going to explode. The ball did make it in the hoop, but I could care less about it.

"Look, you made it!" Kris pointed to the basketball hoop. I finally noticed that the ball made it, but Kris was more excited than me.

"Thanks Kris," I mumbled, but Kris couldn't hear me. Instead of hearing me, he pulled me into a hug, still excited that he got the ball in the basket. Thinking about the job, I carefully pulled the knife out of my pocket, pulling it towards his back.

"Let's play again!" Kris suddenly pulled away, almost hitting the knife. I breathed out a sigh of relief that he didn't hit the knife... but he went to go play basketball again. Thankful that no one saw, I put the dagger back in my hidden pocket and watched Kris play on.

Throughout the night, my attempts to get rid of him have all failed. Everytime I try raising the dagger up to him without knowing, I can't bring myself to do it. It pains me, knowing that I have to murder the one I love.

 

It was the end of the night and I have failed to even touch him. Why is this so hard? Why can't I have the urge to kill him? Kris walked me home like a real gentleman and I was thankful for that.

"Thank you for today Kris, I really appreciate it. I'll remember this day forever," I told him. He just smiled that amazing smile I loved so much.

"You're very welcome Jessica. I hope we can do this more often," Kris pulled me into a tight embrace and we stayed like that for a while. Now is my chance. I took the knife out of my pocket, raising it into the air, ready to stick it in his back. When I lifted the knife, I saw my reflection and I realized how much of a monster I was. I put the knife away. Tears were forming in my eyes and a lump was forming in my throat, making it hard to breath. Kris pulled away and quickly kissed the side of my cheek. Surprised and shocked, I looked at him. His cheeks were rosy red and he was biting his lips.

"Well, I'll... I'll see you tomorrow," he said and swiftly left like the wind. I stared off into space before opening my front door.

So in the end, I couldn't do it... I'm such a coward. I closed the door behind me, sliding down until I reached the floor. I took the dagger out and eyed it. I am supposed to kill you with my own hand, but this is too painful... I just can't do it. I slowly picked up the dagger and placed it right in front of my heart. Closing my eyes shut, I push the knife forward, the blade cutting right through my skin like paper. I took the weapon out of my body and let it drop from my hands and onto the floor, blood dripping from my hands.

This is how deep my love was for you Kris. Even if you don't realize this, I really do love you... and that is true

 

~  ~  ~

Please tell me what you think about it ^^