Part One: It's Like You're Behind Glass

Forest Lights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You have all your things packed?”

“Yes, mom.”

Heat rolled off the concrete, coating the roads and narrow streets in a subtle haze.

“Are you sure you don’t want your grandpa to pick you up at the station?”

“I’m not a kid anymore, mom.”

He checked his hair in the mirror, ruffling it once, twice, before shouldering his backpack.

“I know, but I can’t help but worry.”

“I’ll be fine, I’ve been doing this for years.”

Paced, but eager footsteps decorated the floorboards as he made his way to the front door, his mom’s panicked pitter-patter right behind. He slipped on his shoes and turned the knob with an eager smile.

“Are you sure you don’t want to take your hat? It can get quite hot!”

“No need!”

The sun was high up in the sky, its heat so fierce that even clouds did not dare come close, even shadows did not dare stray far. He turned back and with a final wave at his mom, he all but ran down the street, towards the rhythmic sounds of trains on railways.

And as buildings and skyscrapers slowly morphed into vast lands of green through the stained glass of his window, he wrung his hands together in a mix of nerves and excitement, and smiled.

I always look forward to summer.

 

 

 

There was a forest in the province he visited to keep his grandfather company. It was a forest with its fair share of gossip, scaring adults away with stories of banished demons and unsatisfied spirits, but sparking curiosity in a few mischievous kids. Grandpa may have told him to stay away, but he also told him about that one time he and grandma snuck in during a Festival of Lights, which took place only deep within the forest. They were young, wild and adventurous, but after no less than half an hour, they both ran back home with wide eyes and pounding hearts.

Grandpa never told him what they saw.

Donghae only became more and more curious.

Unfortunately, that curiosity was not equipped with a good sense of direction and soon, the setting sun started painting trees in an orange hue and the little 7-yr old boy sat lost on the grass crying.

His wails echoed throughout the seemingly empty forest. He hadn’t meant to go too far, but every tree looked identical to the next and eventually, he found himself in so deep that he began to regret even coming here in the first place. He buried his head between his knees and covered his ears with small, sweaty palms and began imagining all kinds of scenarios—all the rumors he heard came rushing back, every rustle of leaves felt like a demon creeping, every gust of wind felt like a spirit whispering threats in his ear.

This was a mistake.

He shouldn’t have come.

He should have listened to grandpa and been satisfied with watching the forest lights from his porch.

Now, he was going to die here all alone and no one would find out until—

“Hey, kid.”

He imagined a growl, a deep monstrous voice of a beast ready to eat him alive but the sound was soft, almost meek, and most of all, very human.

“It’s getting dark, you shouldn’t be out here.”

Human!

Someone was actually here!

He felt his eyesight blur with tears threatening to spill over as he lifted his head and, surely enough, someone stood behind a tree a mere few meters away. He was lean; probably double his height, his hair a messy brown, and a half black, half white mask covering his face.

Donghae stumbled to his feet and ran towards the stranger, wanting to latch his arms around his waist, but instead, fell face first on the grass.

“Ow!” He groaned and rubbed his forehead, looking back at the guy who clearly avoided his hug. Donghae was a naturally clingy boy, always ready for a pat on the head or a nice warm embrace, even from strangers. He was so frightened at the thought of dying alone earlier, why couldn’t this guy let him have his hug? Doesn’t he understand how relieved he is to see him?

With a huff, Donghae stood again and charged at him. He was so close he could almost feel the fabric of his shirt, and his smile widened at the thought of finally getting his hug when…

Whack!

 

 

“Sorry about that.”

 Donghae’s eyes snapped open and he sat up, blinking blearily at the masked guy who still stood a good distance away from him, large stick in hand.

“You out for a bit.”

He blinked once, twice, before standing and running for another hug. But when he moved to his left, the guy evaded to the right, and when he moved to the right, the guy moved back to the left. With a glint in his eye, Donghae dug his feet into the ground for momentum but just when he could almost touch him, the stick whacked him again.

“Hey!” Donghae whined, rubbing his head. “No human would hit a child like that!”

“No one is allowed to touch me.”

“Why not?”

“I’ll disappear.”

Donghae gasped into his hands, “You will?”

“I will.” The guy held out the stick. “In an instant.”

Donghae grabbed onto it and was pulled to his feet, “Are you a ghost?”

“Not quite.”

“You don’t look like a monster.”

“Nope.”

The slight breeze ruffled his hair and Donghae stared up at him with wide eyes. He blinked when the brunette turned around and started walking.

“Where are you going?” He panicked at the idea of being alone again and quickly followed, taking care not to get too close.

“Leading you home.”

“Really?! You’re so kind!” Donghae shrieked and by reflex, ran for a hug. “Thank you!”

Whack!

“Sorry.”

 

 

The forest was a lot more beautiful when someone was there to make sure he wouldn’t get lost, so he could appreciate it more. There were flowers of all kinds, landscapes overlooking the mass of green, ancient stone steps and the orange sun tainting everything in its hue as a parting gift before it descended on the horizon. Donghae often lagged behind, sometimes out of awe, but mostly because his short legs couldn’t keep up with his taller companion’s wider steps.

He tried his best to match his pace, not wanting to upset the not-quite-a-ghost, especially since Donghae couldn’t tell what sort of expression he had behind that mask.

“Here,” the guy noticed his silent struggle and held out the stick, waiting for Donghae to grab the other end, “just a little further.”

The kid smiled brightly and grabbed it, swinging it between them as they walked side by side down the steps. He hummed songs under his breath and skipped, eyes closed so he missed the slight tilt of the taller brunette’s head.

“What are you so happy about?”

“This feels like a date~”

He chuckled lowly behind his mask.

“Don’t be silly.” 

 

 

Donghae’s eyes brightened when he recognized the stone steps and the arch that served as the forest entrance. He sprinted there and jumped with glee, running down the steps in relief.

“I can go home!” He half squealed, half sobbed in relief. “I thought I was going to die!”

“That’s what happens when you wander off too much.”

Donghae turned around at the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter