Realisation (Part I)

Invisible

---------------------------

We’ve all had our “moments”. Moments where you realise things you’ve never thought about your entire life. A moment that changes your entire life. Perhaps a moment where you realise that you’ve always believed in a lie, or deluded yourself into thinking something was true when it wasn’t. Maybe, it was even a moment you wish you had never experienced, because despite the mountains of confusion and mystery that appears to sweep aside with this one moment of realisation, there is just a deeper, darker pain hiding within. A monster waiting to be awoken, hunting those whom fell into a love too foolish.

----------------------------

Water splashed around in rhythmic punches as hands swept over heads and cut back into the clear blue chlorine like a blade into a soft knead of dough. Cheers roared out in the distance, with the sound so dim that it felt like the swimming arena stretched out for miles on end and there was too much air for the sound waves to transcend. Those occasional horns that sounded the beginning of the race, timers that beeped to the records of the swimmers and not to mention the frantic and frenzied shrieks of names. “MINYOUNG!? MINYOUNG!”

“WHAT?!”

I turned back to the group of my friends who lazed around on the benches, listening to the downpour of rain outside get louder and louder. There in front of me, almost a hundred pairs of eyes glowed in the vicinity in murmured interests and attention to all their own little group activities. My head snapped back to the direction of the swimming pool, where a mere few tens of swimmers lined up for the races, and even less cheerers and supporters in the few supporting stands.

What swimming carnival, I thought to myself, when no one even swims.

“We’re playing truth or truth, want to join?”

Upon not having anything else to do, I shrugged, muttering a “why not?” before stepping over herds of people to join their game. A chorus of snickers were exchanged amongst the group, and it dawned upon me that they were up to no good.

“You know, I think I’m just gonna-”

An outstretched arm pulled me back by the leg and I nearly stumbled into the middle of the ring they had created. With no choice but to fall victim to their mysterious plan, I heaved a deep sigh and sat down next to Heejin, who looked almost as clueless as I did.

“What do you think they’re up to?”

“Don’t ask me, I’m always the last to know when they’re up to something!”

“Oh. That’s right.”

I laughed at Heejin and ducked before she had a chance to punch me in the head, whilst a chorus of “MINYOUNG!”’s blasted into my ears again.

“AISHHH ARASO I’ll listen…”

The group smiled sheepishly and eyed each other knowingly. They all agreed unanimously on using the bottle to decide who was going first, and somehow, it ended up pointing at me. It was like even God was helping them with their plan, as they all sighed in relief and eyes each other enthusiastically.

“SO! *clears throat* I’ve seen you hanging around… some guy recently.”

I gulped. I had tried to hide the fact that I was meeting Kyungsoo in the park on some mornings, and I had even stopped taking the same train as my friends. How have people found out already????

“…on the train specifically. And I believe his name is…”

…although I didn’t think I had ever taken the same train as Kyungsoo. What were they talking about-

“Baekhyun! His name is Baekhyun isn’t it? So, DOYOULIKEHIM???”

I lost all conscience of how I looked at that moment, with my mouth hanging open like a cave and my eyebrows curved at the weirdest angles.

“WHAT?!”

“Yeah, Baekhyun. So you like him right? AHHH I knew it!!”

I snapped out of my daze and my eyes unconsciously rolled towards Heejin, whose expression was not pained, but a mixture of shock and discomfort. I gulped nervously seeing her unnerved reaction, and turned back to the eager eyes of the others in sitting in the circle.

“No… I don’t like him. More like, I don’t dare to like him. He doesn’t like me anyway…” I tried to stray off with all my vague remarks, but I saw Heejin’s expression soften at the corner of my eye. Slightly relieved, I stretched my hand out to spin the bottle again, before Heejin’s hand suddenly shot out to grab mine.

“That wasn’t the real question though…”

Heejin’s lips turned up into a soft, carefully constructed smile – innocent, yet threatening.

“I mean, if it depends on whether he likes you or not… If Baekhyun likes you, would you go out with him?”

I gulped in fear. I didn’t want to be stuck in this situation, one of my best friends asking me whether I’d go out with the guy she likes. However, not everyone had the same reaction as me, of course. The others hi-fived Heejin as if she had fulfilled all their cat-like curiosities, whilst I knew deeply inside that she just wanted to reinforce her territory.

...

“No. I will never like him. Because I wouldn’t.”

-------------

(Few days later)

Waking up early, just like the usual off days, I brushed my hair extra carefully and tied an extra bow in my hair. I had never imagined myself to be one changing their appearance to meet a boy, but nonetheless, I grabbed the bow almost from instinct that I even surprised myself. And like usual again, I took the same early train, same carriage, almost receding myself in the same corner as well and dozed off to sleep just the same. I never imagined that things would be any different. It almost seemed like things would never change now – they were becoming routine.

Kyungsoo was sitting already when I had arrived at the park. In retrospect, everything on that day passed by too quickly that I barely remembered anything at all. He had an important test and I was helping him study for it – I remember having a few laughs at his stuff-ups, and although I thought Kyungsoo would get annoyed at me, he didn’t. He stared at me, lips curving up in a sheepish smile that I couldn’t help but think was cute at that moment. Realising that we were both running late for school, we walked back quickly to his school where he did something that would be the beginning of the happiness, all the worries, the whole rollercoaster ride of emotions that I will feel that year.

“I guess I have to go now.”

I smiled and waved, wished him luck for the test and turned, before I quickly felt his arms envelope around me in a short hug. It felt warm, inside and out but I couldn’t tell whether that was because it happened on a Winter morning or whether I felt my heart warm at his sudden gesture. His hands I could feel, were almost shaking as he hugged me and pulled away quickly as he quickly turned back and ran into his school like a shy little boy who had just kissed the girl he had a crush on.

I turned around and started walking hurriedly on the narrow path back to school, until I bumped head first into Baekhyun’s shoulder. I sprung back and rubbed my forehead painfully, narrowing my eyes at the culprit whom caused my pain.

An accusative finger sprung out and pointed at me. “You… were with a boy just then.. right???” Baekhyun winked and pointed at the imaginary watch on his arm.

I laughed sheepishly at Baekhyun before stumbling my way past Baekhyun, bumping his shoulder back in the process, as I heard my school bell ring in the distance. A soft laughter chimed behind me, and at that moment I was sure Baekhyun was laughing at me.

On my way back to school, I had images clouding my head that I couldn’t block out no matter how hard I tried. This walk though, made me realise something that I had not realised before. Would it be that easy after all to keep my ‘promises’? Even those I had made to my best friend?

When you are living a particular moment in time, you don’t realise the significance of it. Perhaps familiar things will no longer be routine, and things you had not never imagined suddenly become reality. Upon reflection now, a year or two after this, tracing the causes of certain events back to the root, this was one of those moments. A moment that I will never be able to turn back.

----------------------------

Hi everyone!

I am soooo sorry that I haven't updated for so long - it's just that I've been really busy figuring things out
in my life, and school has also been so busy. I took some time off as well because I feel like my writing
wasn't going that well, and I was also very uncertain about my plot points. I'm sorry, because I know 
I'm just making excuses but I hope you will all understand me.

On another note, am I the only one who has supported Baekyeon even before the news came out?
I'd be curious to know how you all felt because I keep feeling like I'm the only supporter of theirs T_T

So much has happened during my mini 'hiatus' man.... Kris as well.
Stay strong though, all EXO fans. Still gotta support the boys right? I'm just shocked that something
like this would happen to EXO only 2 years into their career. All the best in the future.

Please comment to your heart's content! Thank you!