A Perfect Gentleman

The Perfect Gentleman

“! I can’t believe this!” KiBum shouted as stood with ripped, cheap plastic bags and watched the oranges rolling down the sidewalk.

“Should have got TaeMin to do the shopping, would’ve save me much nerves” He kept on mumbling to himself, rolling his eyes in annoyance. Leaving his half open bags on the ground, he walked around picking up the oranges.

 

He could feel the eyes on him, and the judgment of the people. Not only that he had to disguise himself so much, now he got the attention of every passing person, including a high school girl holding a new bought SHINee album. He lowered his head and stared at the floor in hope she would not recognize him.

“Stupid oranges, why did I bought” He walked over to another orange, whining quietly, when he got interrupted by someone.

“Ajusshi, maybe you would like some help?” The girl looked at him and handed the fruit. She smiled and bowed. KiBum stood up and adjusted his shirt, feeling a bit embarrassed being called an ajusshi.

“Oh, you’re not an ajusshi. Look quite young even.” The girl stared at him and said quietly, as if more to herself then to him. She smiled again, like a silent sorry for the mistake.

“I think I can handle myself, thank you. Please don’t call me ajusshi, I’m not that old.” KiBum said without thinking, feeling quite happy she wasn’t a fangirl and most likely, didn’t recognize him. He took a step and kneeled down to get, yet, another orange. The girl also kneeled down.

There’s many oranges still left to be picked and I think you do need help because, as off now, you’re making a slow progress”  KiBum smirked at the bluntness and looked straight into the girls dark eyes. His stare was patronizing, yet somehow friendly at the same time. She was quite pretty and innocent looking. Didn't really suit the way she talked.

“Pretty blunt you are, huh?” He said with irony, knowing that he was just the same. Blunt and straightforward. Sometimes too much.

 

They stood up in silence. The girl lifted up the bag and held it open, while KiBum wandered around picking up the damn oranges. In a moment he got them all back to the other, unripped bag and took them from the girl.

“Thanks, that went quickly.” He bowed and smiled, pleased that everything was done.

“I told you, you needed help. I felt sorry for you so I thought I'd help and that’s only because you remind me of my friend KiBum. I’m MinHye by the way.” She grinned and glanced at her watch, her eyes grew big in shock and as her face went pale.

“Anyway, I need to go now. Bye” MinHye turned around on her foot and walked with a speedy pace. KiBum, who stood there, still in shock over hearing his name, and MinHye. He had a friend called MinHye, she left for the US some years ago. They kept in contact for over a year, but then she had a lot of studying, he became a trainee and they stopped calling. She was his best friend since preschool, it was hard to get over her leaving. He kept on thinking, when it hit him.

“She looked like MinHye, just a bit older… That was MinHye.” He turned around, but there was no trace of her, she disappeared in the crowd of hurrying businessmen and jostling ajumas.

He looked down, disappointed and sad. Maybe he just missed the only occasion to see her again? She didn’t live in Daegu anymore, that’s what he knew for sure and Seoul was a big city, too big to look for one girl. KiBum let out a sigh of defeat and headed to the dorm.

 

                                                                                                  ------------

 

“Where did I put those damn keys?!” MinHye scolded herself and went through every pocket in her bag. Finally, she found the keys. Of course, as always they were in the most obvious place, but she was never able to find them there. She opened the door to her apartment, which she had been renting for two days since she came back to Korea. In the end, she was able to afford a house in Seoul. Working as a programmer in a world overtaken by computers had a lot of benefits. Maybe it wasn’t a typical job for a girl her age, but despite the stereotype, she loved it. MinHye walked inside and settled all her shopping on the table.

 

“Ok, let get this sorted.” She started going through what she bought and placed the items in the rightful place. Picture frame on the desk, CD’s on the track, instant noodles in the closet, KiBum’s present…

“What do I do with this? Yes, sure I need to wrap it up in some nice paper, preferably pink. Or was it green? No, definitely pink.” She argued with herself over his favorite color, but came to conclusion and chose a sparkly pink paper to wrap it. Stick a big, cute bow and done. She thought, while glancing at the gift and looking for any inconveniences. It was perfect.

“I hope you will like that vintage coat I bought you, it costed fortune. And they say it’s always cheap. Yeah sure, say that to the price tag.” She moaned over the overpriced piece of clothing, but still felt happy in the end. It was a perfect gift for KiBum. He loved vintage from what she knew and hopefully it was right. TV can lie, and she didn’t need that.

 

MinHye decided to look over the pictures and chose one to frame. After about sixty photos of her and her mum of their first stay in California, she stumbled upon her old photos of her and KiBum.

“I was such a cute and pretty kid, what happened?” She sighted in disapproval of her recent look. She then peeked at a picture of KiBum smiling like an idiot and making a peace sign with his hand, what made her laugh much.

“Well, in his case it’s better he changed. It would’ve been hard for him if he didn’t haha.” She continued laughing and suddenly felt bad for saying that. She knew the way he looked now, and the only thing she could say was that she would never imagine her derpy friend becoming such a handsome and talented pop star. A image of him on the stage appeared in her mind.

“Little KiBum is now a Kpop star, unbelievable.” Only now she realized how famous he was and how loved by so many girls around the world. Huh, diva.

                                                                                            ------------

“Jjong, you would not imagine who I’ve met today. Take it.” Key said loudly as entering the dorm and pushing the bags into JongHyun’s hands.

“Who would that be?” Jjong took the bags from the nagging Key and and stared at him, waiting for the answer.

“Park MinHye.” He answered happily, naturally smiling at the mention of her name. Jjong nodded and went over to the kitchen. He got five oranges out and threw one each to the members who sat on the sofa.

“I don’t want one, had enough oranges for today.” Jjong seemed confused by him, but stopped himself from commenting and went over to the rest of the boys. MinHo and TaeMin were as always playing soccer and Onew (as he had nothing else to do) watched them in amusement.

“Guys, why do you never do anything? Could at least make some food, I’m hungry.” Key started nagging and got annoyed looks from everyone.

“Key, you know none of us can actually cook well enough to make a good dinner that would be eatable and we all love your food, so please don’t get mad at us.” Onew smiled widely at him and said, pleasing Key with his sweet words of praise. KiBum might have not been the best cook, but his food was definitely tasty and everyone enjoyed eating it. In the end, he wasn’t called the ‘umma’ for no reason.

“Oh, alright then, alright. I’ll cook something.” He sighed loudly for everyone to hear his fatigue and went to the kitchen, looking for some inspiration. Rice cooker. He needed to put the rice cooker on, otherwise TaeMin would nag if he didn’t get a bowl of rice. Eh, that kid.

 

JongHyun dazed off for a moment after the dinner, while the rest just sat there, watching TV endlessly. Immortal Song 2. They all loved it, true talents and true voices of their friends and sunbaes. Jjong and TaeMin also appeared there occasionally, not often, but they did. Something to be proud of, especially when JongHyun won. They celebrated after that, quietly, at the dorm. With a lot of food and a bit of soju. JinKi got well drunk, Key and Jjong too. MinHo decided to stay sober and TaeMin wasn’t allowed alcohol, but they gave him some when he begged. Key got quite annoyed at Jjong for doing that to the maknae. Although he got over that quickly.

 

At a sudden shock of coldness, JongHyun jumped up from the sofa and went out the dorm. The rest of SHINee stared at him in confusion, but nobody actually got up to see what’s happening. Standing outside only in a white top and dark blue pants, he shivered slightly and took out his phone. Searching for the right contact, he called and waited for someone to pick up.

“Hello?” The girls voice sounded in the little speaker.

“Hi, it’s JongHyun. You ready?” He asked excited and shivered again.

“Ah, JongHyun oppa! I don’t have your number saved, weird. Yes, yes  I’m ready.” She said enthusiastically, her smile could be felt even through the phone.

“Ok then, we will meet at eight, just as planned.” He confirmed, rubbing his arm from chilliness.

“Right, I’ll be waiting.” She sounded very cheery, you could hear the voices in the background laughing and shouting.

“Bye MinHye.” He ended the call and quickly rushed inside, took a blanket from the cupboard and wrapped it around himself.

 

“Guys, manager-nim called, we have to be in the practice room at eight. He said it was something important.” JongHyun said it with an annoyed face, he faked it to make it more realistic.

“What?” TaeMin moaned in frustration, they only had two days free and they already got a call from manager. When that happened, there was no more free time, because as always, it would get canceled in order to do more work. Just kill me. TaeMin thought, throwing himself back at the sofa and just sat there blank.

 

“Hyung, can I talk to you?” Jjong focused his eyes on Onew and waved his hand in invitation. JinKi stood up lazily and moved slowly step by step towards the kitchen. He looked JongHyun in the eyes, raising his eyebrows in curiosity.

“MinHye’s waiting, please get all the stuff ready and pack them into the car, while I get the boys ready. Can you imagine MinHye didn’t recognize Key on the street? He must’ve had a good disguise.” JongHyun grinned in disbelief.

“I heard she even called him an ajusshi.” Key, an ajusshi! Even I never got called that and I’m older. Well, I guess I must be very good looking then. Jjong thought and smirked at Onew’s words.

“Ok then, let’s get going.” Onew said, finally feeling completely awake and ready to go. Only he and JongHyun knew about the conspiration. That was the best for them all, MinHo would probably be too stressed about it and TaeMin would just blab it out randomly. At least they knew where they both hidden the presents, so no need to interfere with any of the dongsaengs.

 

Key felt left out, it was his birthday today, nobody even said anything nice to him and now they had to go to the SM building. He was sad, but comforted himself at the thought that the Japanese ShaWols made banners and celebrated with him at the concert. How can they not remember, I’ve been telling them for the last month that my birthday was coming up. I cook and clean the dorm and do everything else. How unfaithful. Even JongHyun. Aish, those people!

 

“Come on you lazy tomatoes, we have to go.” Jjong hurried them as they casually got up from the ‘oh, glorious place called sofa’. He pushed them to the door, and continued to shout “Hurry, hurry” all the way to the car, where JiniKi waited for them, packing something into the trunk.

“Let’s go!” JongHyun exclaimed with joy as the engine started.

                                                                                            ------------

“Guys, come on. Stop goofing around and get those damn balloons done.” MinHye laughed with them, but got serious when realized what time it is.

“MinHye, stop being such a horrible person.” WooHyun grinned from ear to ear and run to the other side of the room in case she decided to run after him.

“Yah! WooHyun-ah, you wanna die?” She made big, scary eyes and threatened the naughty boy, who sat in the corner and pretended to be frightened.

“JinWoon, turn the lights off, it’s eight already. And you Mir, music off!” She got everyone together to sit in one corner and waited for them to come.

“Manager-nim, please talk loud so we know when to start.” She quickly said to him, as he opened the door and stood outside, like an officer on the duty.

                                                                                             ------------

SHINee walked into the SM building and headed straight to the practise room.

“Manager-nim, how are you? Why call us so suddenly?” JinKi said, winking to the manager and smiling slightly not to give away anything.

“It’s a very important thing and we need to have a small talk.” He said and walked to the door, but seeing SHINee not moving, he rolled his eyes and said.

“Stop standing there like idiots and come in.” He emphasised ‘come in’ very loudly as a sign and slowly opened the door.

 

Everyone awaited in darkness and as the last member of SHINee stepped in, the light and everyone shouted.

“Happy birthday, KiBum!” All eyes were on him now and he stood in a flashlight, just like on stage. Still not conscious of what just happened, he looked around at everyone. There was Nicole, WooHyun, JinWoon, f(x), Miss A, SNSD, Mir and the rest of MBLAQ and of course, EXO. All, together with manager and Jjong and Onew, standing and singing ‘happy birthday’ to him. Unbelievable. MinHo and TaeMin also stood there in great shock, but soon joined in as they finally understood the ‘conspiracy’. Key stood there like paralyzed, smiling like an idiot with his mouth hanging open from astonishment and pure happiness that he was feeling, right in this moment. After a quite long moment of taking all the information in, he finally opened his mouth to say something.

“You guys, why would you do that to me? I thought you all forgotten about me.” He tried to keep a straight face, but laughed out loud and nearly fell on the ground, being his normal self and as always, being unable to keep balance while laughing.

 

People started to party as the music flowed through the room. It might have been a small space, but nobody even realized when they danced and chatted to each other. The simple practice room now looked colorful and joyful with balloons and banners on the wall and confetti laying on the floor.

 

“KiBummie!” Someone shouted from the middle of the room. A girl appeared, with bright smile and happy eyes.

“...Min...MinHye?!” Key opened his eyes to their limit and stared at her, when he got an impulse, run into her arms and spontaneously lifted her in the air like an angel. He hugged her real tight and felt tears on his rosy cheeks. He felt so happy, she was back and she was right beside him. He hadn't felt that way in a long time.

“MinHye, that’s really you. My long lost friend.” His eyes were smiling the truest smile he ever had. He was holding her in his arms, not ready to let go. Ever.

 

“Bummie, you changed so much. You look really handsome now.” She grinned and punched him in the arm teasingly. They were looking straight into each other’s eyes. She looked at him in awe, he really did change. Her eyes got teary, but she didn’t want to show it.

“What are you doing here? Are you back to Korea? Was it you at the shopping mall?” He bombarded her with questions flowing out of his mouth one by one.

“Yes, I’m back. I’ve got a good job here. I live in Seoul now. Shopping mall? What do you mean? ...Wait, what? The ajusshi, that was you?!” She looked at him innocently, while drifting off in her mind. That was KiBum, what? How? How did I not recognize him? I’m so stupid sometimes. I called him an ajusshi. I… Oh my god, how could I?

 

“MinHye, back to earth.” he waved a hand in front of her. She blinked a couple of times and started laughing out of nowhere.

“You know, you do actually look like an ajusshi.” She stated, still grinning at his precious face.

“Yah! How can you say that? I don’t look old. Right?” Key turned around to Jjong and asked him in desperation of an answer.

“Well, if you look closely, there are some wrinkles and what is that? A grey hair?” Jjong enjoyed teasing Key. JinKi had a laughing fit and couldn’t stop staring at them both being such kids.

 

“You guys, seriously? What are you talking about?” Key panicked over the hair and rapidly started to look at every single one of them, just in case he’ll find a grey one.

“Bummie, you idiot. Calm down. You look perfect, ok? Stop worrying.” She patted him friendly on the shoulder and tried to hold her laughter. She gave him a big hug once again and made a funny derp face.

 

“Happy birthday! That’s for you, my little, cute kitty. From now on, I will always stay by your side. In the end, you’re my funny, dorky friend.” MinHye handed him the box, sparkling in pink. Key took it and unwrapped it carefully.

“Is this really for me? Wah! This is so amazing. How did you know I like vintage? This is really my style.” He stared at the jacket and bowed to her in thanks.

“I think it’s just telepathy.” MinHye had a big smile on her face, just like KiBum.

 

Onew tapped Key’s arm.

“Go and have a look at the other presents. The blue ones are from SHINee. Take a look at them first, especially at the one with green bow. That’s from me. I hope you will like it. Enjoy. You only turn twenty-three once in a life.” He talked like a real leader and a real friend, who he was and Key was thankful for all the advice he had ever given him. He turned around and went to Nicole and Amber to open the presents.

 

MinHye stood there with Onew, following Key with her eyes.

"He changed, didn't he? When you left, he was only a kid and now when I look at him, I see a man."JinKi said sentimentally. He might have not been the closest to Key in the group, but he knew him very well. Very trustworthy person he was. Kibum respected people like that, because nowadays it's hard for people like JinKi.

"Yes, he did much. When I saw him on the stage, somehow I still saw the cute kid he was. But today I saw a different person. A perfect gentleman.

 

Everyone was feeling happy and joyful. Key thanked every single person in the room and chatted with them for a while. They played some karaoke and had a dance competition which ended with TaeMin and his friend, Kai being the most vicious to win. Everybody played, when the manager stepped in the room loudly. He kept a serious face for a moment, but smiled widely at them all.

“Don’t you all get so happy. You will have to clean all this tomorrow.”