Final

Brighter Than The Autumn Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sun was hiding behind the thick cloud, made the sky dyed in the dark. Kibum tightened his jacket as the wind strongly blew the leaves to fall along the street to the station. It was past three in the afternoon when he arrived at the train station. He tossed his backpack on the long chair that embed in the station platform as he took a seat beside.

He frowned at the departure time on his ticket. It was written at 3:25pm, which was meant he only had another fifteen minutes more to wait for the train. He sighed, he didn’t want to wait any longer. He just wanted to go as soon as possible before the dark sky pouring its tears, before the night time had fallen, before someone finally noticed his absent—was there even one?

"Kibum?"

A familiar sweet-like-honey voice that he always adored was calling him. Kibum scoffed at himself, he must have been daydreaming to think that someone he knew was there. But the second call made him wonder did the world give him a trick on his ears or maybe his fate could go worsened that it already was.

And so he looked up.

The certain man whose voice was softer than the silk, with smile which was brighter than the sun; was standing not too far from him. Kibum chocked, his feline eyes had to blink twice to ensure it was not an optic illusion coming to his vision about the person he wished for, was standing before him.

Kibum feels like facepalming himself, he forgot that this train station was located near from school.

The opportunity of meeting someone he knew extended twice bigger than its usual—or to think about it, he should have gotten there before the school ended, therefore he won’t meet anyone from school.

The latter wore jeans with light blue shirt as the top and his usual worn-out converse shoes, with his backpack hanging loosely in one arm. He smiled down at him and all of sudden Kibum felt annoyed with his smile.

"Sunbae..." his voice sounded hoarse, even weakened loosely on the edge. He remembered that it was the first time he talked to someone since yesterday.

"What are you doing here?" the older said as he sat beside him.

Kibum looked away, he knew people would ask the same thing to him right now. Not that he expected anything extraordinary but it was just too mainstream, plainly boring. He doesn't need this part of washy-washy. So instead of saying anything he just shrugged his shoulder off.

To his surprise, the intruder only chuckled at his nonchalant manner of answering and didn't ask him any further. Somehow Kibum felt relieved.

The train came not that long after he prayed to God to grant his last hope—runaway from this awkward situation. So he grabbed his backpack and walked to the coming train. He didn’t even bother to glance at someone beside him or to bid him goodbye. He got into the fortunately quite passenger seats line and took his seat when someone behind was following him on tail.

"What are you doing here? Why did you follow me?"

Kibum spatted at the latter who tried not to grin widely—he somehow tried not to offense Kibum’s feeling—calmly showing the same ticket with his.

The younger's cheeks tinted pink but quickly brush it off with the deceiving roll of his eyes as he murmured, "Whatever." and claimed his seat.

Jinki sat beside him and surprisingly he didn’t receive any complaint from the latter. He looked amazed with the younger—a white polo shirt inside his denim jacket, leopard-printed long pants, black boots, and neon pink Jansport backpack—he won't thinks this one is an outfit for a runaway case?

"So..." Jinki began.

"You skipped classes and the club and went straight from home to here, bringing your huge backpack with you.. I see, Kibum." he calmly said still looking at him from head to toe.

Kibum was being his stubborn self, that he kept his gaze anywhere but to the latter, he was prefer to look at the busy station through the window glass.

"Where are you going?"

"I don't know." he answered nonchalantly.

Jinki frowned again as he nodded slowly, "you don't know."

He sighed, adjusting his position and try to take a nap. He knows since Kibum wasn't in a good mood he didn't want to push him any further.

"I'll sleep for awhile, just wake me up when you've reach your destination."

Jinki didn't know if it was necessary to say but seeing Kibum slowly nodded as the reaction, it made him smiled as he closed his eyes.

 

#

 

Jinki woke up because of the woman's voice in the speaker saying that they've reached Gwang-do. People were exchanging train going in and out, making it more noisy and uncomfortable to go back to sleep. He turned to Kibum who was surprisingly still there looking at the landscape out of the window.

He cleared his throat make the younger glanced at him slightly.

"So, have you decided which station you’ll get off?"

The latter only shook his head. He even really didn't mind if the train bring him to last station. The longer it would go, the further he got away from home. It made him somehow happy.

"My stop would be the next stop..." Jinki left hanging his sentence, not sure if offering the younger would be the best option, so he didn't.

"I'll come with you." Kibum abruptly decided, he didn't even bother to have a permit from the elder.

Jinki turned his attention fully to the younger. He can see the younger was not joking around, and his eyes looked straight to the window. He looked almost emotionless.

"You sure?"

"Only if you are."

To be honest, the elder was not, because where would he bring the two of them to? But the options of refusal were stuck in his tongue and all he did was smiled widely and nodded, "Sure, let's get ready!"

Jinki didn’t seem aware that he was the one who got so excited for this condition.

 

The station where Jinki took his depart off the train was smaller than they already had passed by—way smaller and more quite. They walked out of the station and walked along the street nearby the station. They remained silent, both were busy with their own thoughts. The thoughts of why did they end up being there together, what were they supposed to do, what to say to each other, where were they going now; they were all wrapped up in the mind, not even voiced out, no one dare to.

"Where do you want to go?"

Jinki asked, breaking the silent between them, still walking side by side with him.

"Am I supposed to know?" Kibum asked back, "I've decided to come with you, so now you have to decide, where you would bring us to."

The older chuckled. He had heard people in the choir club say the Kim Kibum was cold, arrogant, and demanding type of person; he had just figured it out now and it was cute actually, in terrible way. So instead of saying anything he grabbed the younger's hand and pulled the now-confused-looked Kibum with him.

 

The beach was not that far from the station, the train still could be seen from where they stood now. Jinki dropped his bag and sat beside it. He looked up at Kibum who was still standing awkwardly beside him. He patted the white soft sand beside him, gestured him to have a sit.

"You live quite far from school." Kibum said as he sat, bending his legs in front of his chest.

Jinki hummed while lying on the sand and closed his eyes. "It's peaceful here."

No respond still. So Jinki cracked his eyes opened and turned to see the younger titled his head as he closed his eyes, inhaled the soothing scent of the sea. His jet black hair waved by the wind, the color w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter