What is Your Dream?

Best Friends!

"Yamma ni kkeumi mweoni"  . .  Even your ipod seemed to be questioning you. .  

"Kkeumi oebseo .  . happy now?!" You banged the ipod on the desk and walked out of the room. 

Your mother was about to leave for work when she saw you walking out of your room. " Your friend had called. She won't be coming over tonight to stay. Some exams coming up. Aren't you in the same class?" 

"Yeah, guess she's REALLY busy." The day wasn't getting any better. You were home alone for 3 days and none of your friends were free to spend their time with you. Well, can't really blame them, it's the last leg of your hectic college life, after all. But you hoped just a little that they'd come over since you had a couple of weeks off. But, alas!

You open the refrigerator for your daily fill of milk and chocolates. " Seriously? Mom? You too?" You banged the refrigerator door close. "You should have AT LEAST stocked up some stuff for me to eat." 

Hastily grabbing a grey-blue hoodie, you walked out into a breezy evening. The cool winds left an icy chill on your skin. Why is it that I'm getting all nervous?  You asked yourself as the hair on your nape tingled strangely. It must be the loneliness getting to me finally, you sighed.

The nearby shops were all closed, thanks to some strike organized by the oppositional political parties. So you had to walk all the way to the nearest Supermarket to grab few cartons of milk, and lots of snacks and vegetables to keep you alive for three days. Since there wasn't anyone waiting for you at home, you decided to linger a while longer in the park next to the Supermarket. 

The setting sun was melting away; the red devouring the yellow, the blood devouring the flesh . . Flashes of haunting memories appeared before your eyes ..  "Why? Why is my life like this? Why can't I just get things done the way I want?" 

Even though you had almost everything you needed, there was this void which you couldn't possibly fill. The void, like a black hole, started to eat away the little light left in your life. The evening was finally setting its foot on your threshold. 

Tears, cold and frozen with the wind, rolled down  your cheeks in slow motion. Even gravity is revelling in my pain, huh? A sad laugh escaped your throat. 

BAM!! A pain spread across your forehead. The veins on the right side of your head were throbbing hard. Finally the tears regurgitated. In a mad rush, you stood up with the basketball in your arms. 

"YAAAAAAAAAA!!! What the hell is this?" 

A skimpy but tall boy came and stood before you with his elfish eyes filled with guilt. 

"Noona. . . Mia.." It was then that he saw the tears in your eyes. .  

"Noona, kwen . .kwenchanayo?" You could see tiny drops of tears forming in his childish eyes. He must be very young, you thought.  His eyes erased half of the welled up anger that you were going to shower upon the innocent soul but yet you couldn't resist. 

"Yaa, shouldn't you be more careful? I am fine but imagine if somebody really got hurt? I got hit on the head, do you know how sensitive this part of the head is? What if something really happened to me? Kids . . really. Learn to be careful too..." 

You could feel the words getting stuck in the kid's throat. Now it was  your turn to feel guilty. "Ah, kwenchana. Now don't stand here and make me feel bad." You stomped your feet and was about to go off when you heard a voice behind you. "Umm. .  Kwenchanayo?" You turned around to see who it was. 

It can't be... Your feet were giving you away as you saw his face.. You felt the weight of your body..."Noonaa! ..  " The two of them ran forward to hold you before you fall. 

"Noona.." they frantically shook you. 

"Neo. .  " You pointed your finger at the newcomer. " Neo...mweoya.. " 

Suddenly things made more sense and you realized how shocked the boys must have become from your sudden bout of mad behaviour. 

Embarrassed, you  gathered yourself, got up and ran without thinking of anything or... anywhere.