T W O

Lovely Trap

T W O;

 

 

I stared at him as my annoyance grew. He was laying against the floor-to-ceiling window with his arms folded across his wide chest in a nonchalant manner, the abundant golden sunlight speared through the window, outlining his angular silhouette precisely. Even though I couldn't see it, I could feel it though the bond - Every ounce of cell in me felt it that he was, in fact, smirking at me. I hated him. He was the darkness I wished to avoid but he came to me like an inevitible wave. I frowned when he detached himself from the window and strode towards me. I sometimes wondered if he actually knew that there was a strong sweet scent of dead flowers coming off him. He was rubbing his hand together as if anticipating a birthday party or some delightful event. "Awww, what's the matter? You looked as if your greatest nightmare just came to life," he said sardonically.

"Well, we both know that you're that greatest nightmare, don't we?" That was when my annoyance grew out of control. He could read through my mind and yet he acted as though he knew nothing. Again, I could feel his smile grew wider. 

You are indeed very interesting. Has anyone ever told you that, Jiyeon?

I swore, I'd have strangled him to death if he wasn't already dead.

 

Putting my concentration back together, I tried feeling his existence because there was one thing I had to do without him. Lucky enough for me, even though I couldn't exactly feel where he was but at least, he wasn't anywhere close to me. I grabbed my canvas sling bag and dashed out of the house. Everything had to be fast before he found out. Yesterday, I had been searching for a Witch - someone who would believe in every word I said and help me. I normally don't believe in nonsense like that but the mere existence of Myungsoo proved me wrong. I had to find a way to get rid of him. I wasn't going to let myself drown in the darkness without trying.

It was a little hut at the countryside, its roof was covered with hays but when I watched closer, those were not hays but broomsticks and the edge of the broom-roof was lighted up with a ghastly fire but the fire never seemed to spread further. Witchcraft, I realized. I pushed open the fragile wooden door with a poke of my index finger. I swallowed my saliva, my jittery level shot up a thousand percent. I could feel the coldness seeping through my bones when I stepped into the hut even though it was exceptionally hot outside. I gasped when I heard a hoarse voice. "I see darkness in you, young lady." An old woman who was probably at her 60s stepped out of the shadow, her hand gripping a broomstick that had a creepy-looking crow perched atop. 

My hands had grown numb with their grip on my bag from the nervousness. She knew, even though I hadn't started speaking. "Please, please help me. He's always pestering me and I really can't live another day with him. How could I possibly be bound to a -"

"Ghost?" The Witch snapped her fingers as the lamps in the hut lighted up. "Unfortunately, I can't help you. You're bound to him forever and there is no way to remove it. For Heaven's sake, please return."  

Her words were like a blow to my heart. A sense of worry gnawned at my inside. "But you're a Witch! You must have some method to separate me from him! Please, I beg you." I could feel my tears threatening to pour out but I held them back in. I wasn't here for sympathy but the Witch's help. 

"That's how Heaven had planned. You can't defy Heaven's mandate and -"

"And that's why you have to stick to me until infinity runs out. In other words, forever." I knew that voice - That voice that had been haunting me for the past 48 hours. He was here with me and I was too occupied with the Witch that I had forgotten to feel his presence at all time. I felt anger rising within me like a black wave but that wasn't me. I wasn't mad. It was his rage. Kim Myungsoo. I saw his eyes, dark with exasperation. "I thought you were smarter, Park Jiyeon. How could you be so foolish to actually think that you can get away from me by getting a mediocre Witch?' He lifted his hand to the same level as his eyes and clenched it into a fist. The table in front of him immediately crumbled like a paper ball and as Myungsoo swept his hand to his side, the crumbled table followed his movement and was swung out of the hut in a tremendous force. 

The Witch's face had gone from gray to paper white and her face was very pale between the black wings of her hair when her knees gave out and collapsed on the ground. Her hands were raised to her ears to block out the noise as if that would block out the danger Myungsoo had begun but I knew better that her attempts were futile. The crow perched atop her broomstick cawed and flapped its wings, soaring into the cobalt blue sky. The Witch screamed, as if her talisman had disappear all of a sudden. "Stop it, Myungsoo. Stop it!" I hollered at the top of my lungs but he couldn't see to hear a single thing, as though our bond had broken momentarily. He aimed his finger at the piles of leather-bound book at the corner and they promptly caught on fire, burning in a furious flame. I felt dizzy, like the energy inside me had been out, but I managed to lift myself up and run towards him. I wrapped my arms around him tightly. "Stop it," I sobbed, "I won't come looking for the Witch again. Just stop." As if my words were magic, the blazing flame stopped. 

He turned towards me, his eyes no longer dark with wrath. "Let's go home." His voice was gentle, a large contrast to whatever he just did. I wanted to tell him that it wasn't his home but mine. I would have, yesterday but today I couldn't bring myself to do it because this man before my eyes was dangerous. I feared him. Before we were into the dimension that led to my house, I heard the Witch's quivering voice.

"Kill the bond and you kill him."

 

Her eyelids were closed against the dim light of dawn and her breathing deep and relaxed, all the muscles in her face and body were at peace. There was barely any movement of her chest rising and falling with each intake of air. The innocence showed on her sleeping face, the peaceful and beautiful dreams blocking out the dangers of the outside. The danger that I brought into her life. The soft breathing of hers made the world seemed to stay still.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, I couldn't help but traced the tip of finger down the tears mark on her cheeks. They were no longer moist but they still reminded me of what a freak I was. I raked my fingers through her hair that was spread out across the pillow like a shawl of coppery thread. They were soft and silky against my fingers and still smelled of the charred charcoal scent from the hut.

I could still remember her eyes when she looked at me. Resentment and ... mostly fear. I had intimidated her and the crushing weight of guilt would stay with me forever and always. I could still remember her tears soaking through my shirt when she wrapped her arms around me. It felt as if I had just awakened from a terrible dream. I only realized it then, what catastrophe I had brought about and what a monster I am - I couldn't control my indignation and I let it rule over my head instead. If it wasn't for Jiyeon, I'd have gone out of control.

"I'm sorry." I bent down and gently wiped the tears off her cheek before I continued watching her sleep through her dreams.