My First Girlfriend

My First Girlfriend

"I don't think this relationship is going to work out."  Those were the last words Shim Yura told Sungjong before she walked away. She held her hands together holding a bag and had a single tear fall down her face before she turned around to walk away. The moment replayed over and over in his head.

Sungjong has been crying for the past hour at the dorm porch. It's 3 o' clock in the morning and he had walked home from the mall, bottle in hand. His tears streamed down his face and fell from his delicate chin and splashed on his soju bottle sitting on his lap. 

Sungjong was supposed to meet with her outside the mall entrance. It  would be their 100 day anniversary, and Sungjong had a bag in his hand. Inside the bag was a jar packed with tiny paper cranes; 1000 of them to be exact. He was really proud of himself. He remembers when Myungsoo and Hoya walked in on him folding his cranes and made fun of him that his gentle hands can't handle folding 1000 cranes.

They were wrong. He finished the gift right before the 100 days. He saw Yura walking from the taxi, and the pained look on her face revealed something ominous. Sungjong knew something was going to happen, but he didn't expect it would be a break-up. He doesn't even remember much of the details except that he smiled and gave her the gift. But Yura only told him one thing. "I don't think this relationship is going to work out."  She took the bag and left with Sungjong's heart on the floor.

He thought she was perfect. "It was a blind love!" Sungjong yelled out, closing his eyes as he tried to stop tears from falling. He took the soju bottle with one hand, and with a great force threw it on the ground. "WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?" Sungjong yelled at the top of his lungs. Sungjong buried his face in his hands and continued to cry more, slowly falling on his side and bringing his knees to his heart to curl up in a ball.

"What's wrong with you?!" Sunggyu opened the front door without a single creak and whispered to him. Sunggyu's dorm was the one right next to the front door. He woke up suddenly from the glass bottle breaking and freaked out. He looked around but noticed Woohyun didn't move a centimeter. "Did you break a bottle? I heard a crashing noise. What are you doing right now?!"

Sungjong recognized his voice and still didn't stop crying. "Hyung, the world is so fragile. We think it's so beautiful but it's... just leave me alone to di... d.. di.. du..." Sungjong stuttered his words which turned into loud sobbing.

Sunggyu stared down at him with arms crossed, thinking they're both going to get in trouble if their manager wakes up. He shook his head, thinking why did he even bother trying to help him out.  Sunggyu bent over Sunjong and moved his shoulders to sit him upright. "I need to get you into your room."

"He-eojil sudo isseo geurae geureol su isseo hajiman ireoken aniya..." Sungjong sang as Sunggyu tried to pick him up. The tears continued to fall as he sang.

"You're a mess, I can't believe I'm doing this!" Sunggyu hooked his arms under Sungjong's armpits and raised him up to stand. He struggled to pick him up. "How much have you been drinking, you're a deadweight!" Once Sunggyu stood him up, he wrapped Sungjong's left arm around him so that it's easier to walk him.

Sungjong didn't resist, but he let his body act as liquid and didn't bother supporting himself. He purposely made himself try to fall back on the ground. "Can I sleep on the porch tonight?" 

"AISH-" Sunggyu bent down to receive more power in his legs and picked Sungjong back up. He opened the door to the apartment and started walking to Sungjong's room. Sungjong hung from Sunggyu's shoulders and dragged his feet, making the wooden floors squeek. Sunggyu took his hand to slap him quiet, but Sungjong continued to silently cry in the hallway.

Sungjong slipped down Sunggyu's back until he he had his arms wrapped around his waist. His head dug into the back of Sunggyu's back and let himself drag on the floor. "NOTHING'S OVER, NOTHING'S OVER," Sungjong sung at the top of his lungs.

Sunggyu used one hand to grab Sungjong's arms around his waist and his other hand to cover his mouth. He was more determined than ever to bring Sungjong back to his bed, at this point dragging his lifeless body down the hallway. "We're almost there..." They finally reached Sungjong's dorm, which he shares with Hoya. Sunggyu slowly uncovered Sungyeol's mouth to open his door.

Audible hip hop music came out of Hoya's bed. Hoya was fast asleep with headphones on his ears, blasting Supreme Team. He looked very peaceful.

Sunggyu was shocked by how wet his hand was from Sungjong's infinite tears. They both stayed quiet with the occasional snifling sound. Sunggyu quietly opened the door and dragged the deadweight through. "What am I doing..." Sunggyu mumbled to himself, sweaty and tired from dealing with a drunken Sungjong. He gently dropped Sungjong on the floor and quickly closed the door of their room.

"NANEUN NAMJA EOBSI JAL SARA" As Sunggyu closed the door, he jumped and turned around to see Sungjong moving his arms and legs to make snow angels and sing. "I DON'T NEED A MAN, I DON'T NEED A MAN," Sungjong cried, pointing to the ceiling and waving his finger to dance to the song.

"Why you-" Sunggyu looked around nervously and found a pair of socks on the ground. He quickly picked it up and knelt over Sungjong with an intention to shut him up.

"What are you two doing?!" Sunggyu was grabbing Sungjong's shirt collar was halfway to shoving a sock in his mouth while Sungjong was halfway to singing a whole Miss A song. The two of them looked up from the floor and saw Hoya standing right in front of them, scratching his eye and looking visibly angry. 

Sunggyu freaked out and dropped the sock. Sungjong stopped waving his hands and arms on the floor. The both of them looked at Hoya who was visibly angry and giving him the the deadliest glare they've ever seen.

"Don't you two know we have a press release this afternoon? Also, one of you smells like you took a shower in Chamisul." Hoya blinked his eyes and crossed his arms. "If manager hyung finds out you've been drinking he's gonna..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Sungjong's face scrunched up as he burst into tears. Sunggyu and Hoya were shocked. "I'm sorry hyung," Sungjong mumbled as more tears fell down his cheeks and fell to the floor. Sungjong looked pitiful and curled up into a ball. 

The two hyungs looked at their maknae not knowing what to do. Hoya and Sunggyu looked at each other and realized they can't get mad at Sungjong for whatever is going on. They've never seen him cry this much in his life. Sungjong was always the one they teased, but he took it all with a grain of salt and never broke down. At least not like this.

"Ya-" Hoya sat down on the floor with the two of them and looked at Sungjong. He started rubbing his back trying to comfort him. "What happened?"

Sungjong covered his eyes, embarassed that his hyungs were looking at him. "We ended it."

"Shim Yura?" Hoya asked.

"Yes."

"Mwu?!" Sunggyu looked confused and shook his head. "Wait a minute. Shim Yura... wasn't she the noona who did our 'Man in Love' photoshoot? What does she have to do with anything?"

Hoya looked at Sungjong. He beat himself up in his head after realizing he wasn't supposed to reveal he was dating Yura. Sungjong seemed like he wasn't going to answer. "Well, Yura..."

Sungjong sat up on the floor and leaned on the bedpost so that he can have a better conversation with his hyungs. "Yura and I have been dating for 100 days now. Well, not anymore. She broke up with me on our 100 day." 

Sunggyu and Hoya stayed silent, shaking their heads in grief for their dongsaeng. "I didn't know," Sunggyu said.

"Hoya and Myungsoo were the only two people who knew. I told Myungsoo before and Hoya caught me with her."

Hoya laughed thinking back to when he caught them. "Sunggyu hyung, remember that one time the manager got mad because Sungjong was out with his family for too long and he wanted me to look for him and bring him back?"

"Yeah, we were finally shooting the music video 'Man in Love' and we had to wake up early," Sunggyu replied.

Sungjong put his hand out and wanted to finish the story. "I told Hoya I was going to the movies with my uncle, but instead I went out with Shim Yura. It was maybe after 50 days of dating. Hoya texted my Uncle asking what time the movie ended because our manager was mad."

"But then he texted back and said, 'I'm in Pusan for business. I thought Jongie was with Yura?' So I went to the movie theater that Sungjong said he was going to go to with his 'uncle'," Hoya added on.

"And we were watching the movie and then she started leaning on my right shoulder and held my hand. I felt so happy. But that was when I realized... she was sitting on my left. So I look to my right, and it's Hoya!" Sungjong exclaimed.

The three of them burst into laughter. It was the first time Sungjong laughed in the last couple of hours. Let alone, laughed the whole day. Sunggyu started shushing everyone in an effort to keep the noise level at a minimum so no one else would wake up. 

As they all stopped laughing, Sungjong started to remember everything that happened earlier and went back to crying. He covered his face with his hands so that no one could see him. "Please don't look at me."

"You can cry as much as you want," Hoya said with a smile.

"So how did you get that noona?" Sunggyu chimed, ignoring the fact he was crying over her. 

Hoya punched his shoulder and motioned for him to stop talking.

Sungjong lowered his hands so the two of them could see his tear-filled eyes. "After the photoshoot, she talked about wanting a smoothie so I followed her so I can also get one. After that we started talking." Sungjong shrugged as if there's nothing else to the story. "We had that song 'Man in Love', and I really thought I was." Sungjong closed his eyes to cry again.

Hoya reached over to the nightstand to get a box of tissues and passed it to Sungjong. Sungjong took a tissue blew his nose loudly. As he pulled the tissue away a stream of snot came from his nose. Hoya and Sunggyu backed away disgusted. "Egumonina," Hoya shrieked.

"Sorry!" Sungjong took another tissue to get all of the snot. 

"My first love was a noona," Sunggyu said. His arms were wrapped around his knees and looked very contemplative. "She was two years older than me and she was a piano player."

"Hyung, you've never told me about your first girlfriend " Sungjong said. He was shocked. Sunggyu and Sunjong have talked personally before, but never heard him say anything relating to romance.

"Come to think of it, my first girlfriend was also a noona," Hoya added. "We were in the same dance class. She was 4 years older than me."

"I didn't know she was 4 years older," Sunggyu said. They all knew about Hoya's past girlfriend. He dated her until he became a trainee. But none of the boys except for Sungjong knew his age.

"Sunggyu, who was your girlfriend?" Sungjong asked, taking Sunggyu's arm and pulling on it repeatedly until he started talking.

"Aish," Sunggyu elbowed Sungjong to get him to stop pulling on him. "We were both in high school. She was one of the most popular girls in 3rd grade, and I was just a 1st year. We were both in the same music class. At first I didn't think much of her, but when I heard her play the piano for the first time all I could do was stare at her. She wanted to enter our school talent show by playing the piano and expressed that she wanted a singer accompaniment. I thought she didn't know who I was, but one day she came up to me at the lockers and asked me to sing with her. Then I said, 'I'll sing with you if you give me something.'"

"Sunggyu hyung, you're greasy!" Sungjong smiled and clasped his hands together, shaking around trying to get all the uncomfortable greasy feelings. 

Sunggyu shook his head and look embarassed at the maknae acting cute around him. "Ya! Stop it!!" He took his hand and acted as if he was going to slap Sungjong.

"What did you want from her?" Hoya asked, raising his eyebrow. He asked implying Sunggyu wanted something ual.

"A date, you !!" Sunggyu took his hand and slapped Hoya's shoulder instead. "I asked for a date!"

Sungjong burst out into laughter watching Hoya holding his shoulder in pain.

"Let me finish my story!" Sunggyu yelled out loud. 

In retaliation, Hoya kicked Sunggyu's shin and shushed him. "Shhh, you don't want to wake up manager hyung," Hoya smirked.

The three of them giggled quietly to avoid any further trouble. Sunggyu held his shin and shushed everyone so he can finish the story. "We practiced every Tuesday, and after practice we went on dates to go out and eat. I never thought she would have actually said yes to dating but she agreed willingly. It made me realy confused. One month later, we finally had our talent show. The song was 'My Memory' from Winter Sonata. I've been performing with the school rock band and it was natural to me..."

"Ugh," Hoya rolled his eyes to his overconfidence.

"I will slap you again!" Sunggyu barked.

"SHHH, I want to know what happens!" Sungjong rested his head on his hands and leaned forward, smiling with puppy dog eyes at Sunggyu. 

Visibly annoyed, Sunggyu shook his head and tried to finish the story without feeling shameful. "What I was going to say was, it was natural for me to sing in front of people but I felt nervous with her. At that point I really liked her, so I told her I never really performed with girls so I was nervous. Then... she took my head with her hands." Hoya and Sungjong leaned in, waiting for the . "And she kissed me!"

Sungjong squealed like a girl while Hoya laughed trying to shake off the embarassment of hearing Sunggyu talk about his first kiss. 

"I really did like her, and I believe I loved her. Of course, she was a 3rd year in high school which meant she was going to graduate. So when she did it was the end of it," Sunggyu closed his eyes to reflect. His face looked a little pained than it was earlier. "If the timing isn't right then you can't do anything about it."

The other two stayed quiet. Sungjong nodded his head, understanding his comment about timing. Hoya on the other hand didn't move an inch. 

The oldest one stretched out his arms and yawned. He closed his eyes and put his hands together to stretch his sides. "I still think about her though. It's a love I won't forget."

"I broke up with my first girlfriend before I moved to Seoul," Hoya suddenly said. He was solemn in his response and had a serious look on his face.

"You don't have to say it," Sungjong said, putting his hand on Hoya's shoulder. Sungjong has heard the details of his breakup plenty of times, especially on days when Hoya was feeling sentimental and drank a lot. He was the only one who knew the intimate details.

"I don't think I completely forgiven myself yet for everything. She just started college and I just started high school. She as very graceful when she danced. I've never seen anything like it. One time it was a rainy day and she forgot to bring an umbrella. I saw her outside standing under the awning as if hoping the rain would pass. It was winter and that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. I walked up to her with my umbrella and asked if she wanted me to walk her to the subway. After that, the two of us fell for each other. She was a lot older and even had a part time job. She paid for a lot of things. She even paid for one of my dance classes when my dad didn't."

The atmosphere in the room turned different. It was different from earlier when Sunggyu's story had a little charm and comedy. The way Hoya narrated his story was a lot more serious. The story made Sunggyu feel really bad. He's never heard the details about Hoya's past relationship, but just the simple ramblings.

"Timing couldn't be worse. When I announced I was going to be a trainee, the breakup was inevitable. We both looked at each other after dance practice. We both knew it was going to happen, and because of that we treated our last 30 days together as if it was the end of the world. Amusement parks, arcades, concerts. My favorite nights were the nights I brought my radio and we went to the park at 2 in the morning to dance to whatever was on the radio. Then on our last day together, she wanted to make it special so she took me to a pension and stayed overnight. The following afternoon, I left Busan."

The room was silent after Hoya finished his story. Hoya looked at everyone. Sunggyu and Sungjong were both leaning on the side of Sungjong's bed with Sungjong leaning his head on his hyung's shoulder. Sunggyu didn't have the guts to look at Hoya, because he knew his story was more heartbreaking than his. 

"Sungjong, the first love is the most heartbreaking love, but it's the love we need to move on and learn about who we are," Hoya said with a serious face.

"So you're not a ?" Sunggyu asked, seeming to disregard everything Hoya said except for the fact he went to a pension with her. Sungjong snickered and tried to cover his face.

"What does it matter?!" Hoya exploded, frustrated that his story didn't see the light of day.

Sunggyu and Sungjong burst into laughter. Hoya looked so angry, but the two of them couldn't stop laughing. Sungjong laughed so hard that his head fell on Sunggyu's lap. Sunggyu took a pillow from the maknae's bed and covered his face as he laughed. After seeing his two friends laugh, Hoya also started to laugh a little. The mood in the room became light. Sungjong laughed to the point that he started crying, but instead of sadness these were tears of joy being around his hyungs.

After taking the pillow off of his head, Sunggyu tried to calm himself down so that they wouldn't get in trouble. The laughter started to die down, but all 3 of them had nothing but silly smiles on their faces. "Are you going to be alright, Sungjong?" 

Sungjong got up from resting his head on Sunggyu's lap and sat up to lean against his bed again. "I think I'm gonna be ok." He nodded with a smile and wiped a tear from his eye. "Now that I know it's possible, I can only take this and grow."

Hoya took his hand patted Sungjong's thigh. "You're a strong maknae."

Sungjong smiled in embarassment and covered his face. 

"It's weird how we've all dated noonas," Sunggyu remarked. The three of them thought about it and realized their first girlfriends were older.

"Well, noonas are the ones who are already grown," Hoya said, implying that noonas are the most mature in mind and body. "Considering you're already an ahjussi..."

"Aish-" Sunggyu raised his hand to hit Hoya again. Hoya stopped talking and smiled.

"I liked how she took care of me in a way that she protected me. She was independent, and I didn't have to worry about taking care of her all the time. I won't forget her," Sungjong said.

"No matter how many people you date in the future, first love will always be the most unforgettable love," Sunggyu added. "It's ok to cry over it because it's the love that changes us." Sunggyu put his hands on the floor and slowly pushed himself up. "I should get back to my dorm. It's almost 5 in the morning."

As Sunggyu got up, Sungjong took his arm and tugged his arm to pull him down. "But we can probably stay up for another hour! Hoya, do you want to talk more?" He looked up at his hyung with smiles and aegyo, trying not to get him to leave.

"You're the leader, but what does it hurt to talk a little more?" Hoya said, grabbing Sunggyu's other arm. Hoya and Sungjong looked at each other and nodded, pulling their hyung back to the ground.

Sunggyu was tired, but it's been a while since he talked to Hoya and Sungjong on such a personal level. Deep down inside, he didn't want it to end either. "30 more minutes..."