| Babysteps |

| Babysteps |

One, two, my heart…

She is lovable. Her floating silhouette, her golden locks, her unsure smile that never reaches her eyes but you know is always there. She’s an angel in disguise.

Three, four, my breath…

She is static. Her thin frame standing by my side, her small hands holding on to mine, her dainty yet unreadable eyes. She never told me she loves me. She just stood there, unmoving, beside me and she let me felt it.

Five, six, my entire body walks…

She is enchanting. Like a magnet being pulled, like an entire galaxy being swallowed into by a black hole, like a baby being called by his mother on the other side of the room, taking his tiny baby steps. She’s all I ever wanted. She’s all I need.

Only seeing you…

One, two, my heart began beating ten times faster than normal. She knew because she had the stethoscope on my chest. Her thin, peach lips smiled to me but never her eyes. I thought I saw an angel.

‘Dr. Jessica Jung,’ I read the nameplate she was wearing. She was human, after all, and my angel.

Three, four, I told her I loved her but she only remained still, calm like she has always had been. I thought I may have lost her but she held my sweaty palm and squeezed it, looking over at the beautiful scenery of two birds chirping together at the ground. She stood there and then I remembered I have to breathe.

Five, six…          

Five, six…

Five, six… I knew my heart skipped several beats and I was holding my breath, looking at the opposite side of the road. My feet suddenly felt numb and my entire body followed. My eyes were darted only in one direction. An angel was lying unconsciously over a red bed. Almost lifelessly, I noticed.

‘Donghae!’ I thought I heard someone call me.

Five, six… I turned back and saw her, running towards me. And I smiled at her.

Five, six… But then, there was a long, screeching sound which seemed to be coming from a long, fast-approaching vehicle.

Five, six… I felt her hands on me, pushing me to the other side of the road. Despite her thin, frail arms, she managed to strongly push me; she managed to save me.

Five, six… The most beautiful face I have ever seen was on the ground, looking at my direction, smiling at me. ‘I’m glad,’ I saw her mouthed before closing her eyes. Her face looked so serene and I noticed the smile on her face remained, and it had reached her eyes, making them crinkle slightly.

Five, six…

Five, six… She’s still all I ever wanted and she’ll always be all I need. She took my heart, my breath, and my entire body walks only seeing her. We’ll never be on the same side of the room again and still up to now, I’ve been stuck to six.

 

* * * * *

End

Words: 503