Dance Towards The Unknown

Dance Towards The Unknown

 

"How do we explain the charm of a powerful piece of music, an experimental dance, an abstract painting? Surely, part of our enjoyment lies in the fact that we don't know what they mean. For your task I want you to create a piece that represents who you are as a person." was what my dance teacher instructed. I thought to myself, 'Who am I? Who do you think you are?'

I think I will struggle with this assessment piece. Actually, this is more than an assessment piece, this is going to be the key factor in what will happen to me in the future. This is a very special performance, a once in a lifetime opportunity that I have been blessed with.

"Do not fear what may happen in the future, but investigate, plan, prepare, practice." were the words of wisdom coming from my dance teacher.

 

I think about how I will represent myself. I know that my performance will be a dance piece, considering that this is my area of expertise. I need a choreography that will emphasis my strengths and show all my talent.

The first step in accomplishing a performance of perfection is to discover myself. Recollect my past experiences and emotions, including all the highs and lows. I need to understand all this and then express it within my dance. I have to show the audience who I am as a person all in this performance.

 

I've been experimenting with different styles and dance techniques but have struggled to find what is suitable for me.

I asked my dance teacher what her opinion was for what style I did best in, with her reply as, "The answer to that question may depend on who we ask and what they are feeling. I think you do well in ballet, but that is just my opinion. Let me ask you something, what style do you think is you? Go and think about that and then, you will surely discover the answer to all your questions. It may not be as simple as it seems, but when you know which style represents you, only then your path will clearly be shown."

 

A few days after that encounter and discussion with my dance teacher, I came to a resolution and finally made a decision about what I believe is the best dance style that represents me. However, before that I brainstormed and carefully thought about myself. I'm not an extrovert, or an introvert, but something in between.

I'm not an open book, but can sometimes be easily read. I thought about English, the punctuations and grammar that the language incorporates.

I wouldn't classify myself as a question mark or an exclamation mark, but instead as an interrobang. A little bit of both. Undecided about which one I am, so instead, why not be both?

 

The style that represents me is somewhere in the unknown. I can't label myself as a talented ballet dancer or as an astonishing free-style dancer. I like both styles. They both represent me.

Dance is a subject of the unknown, it can be interpreted into however the individual chooses it to be represented. After the completion of my choreography, small adjustments were made, corrections on my posture, positioning, facial expressions and tone were inevitable to strive for perfection.

I always reminded myself that this task will make or break my future. It may open many doors to a variety of opportunities. The future is unpredictable and is undoubtedly the most unknown thing in the world.

 

As I stand behind the curtains I assure myself that I have created the perfect piece.

A piece of the unknown. Will this be the key to all the doors of opportunities to come? Is this what will help show the audience who I am? Will they be able to notice the passion, emotion, struggles and emotions through my dance?

The answer is yet to be known. However I perform on this stage, will inevitably create many opportunities that will help shape my future, the unknown.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.