Movie Night

Movie Night

 

It was Friday night, and Jinki was peacefully doing his homework in his room when he heard a curious noise, something like 'thump, thump, thump', as if someone, or several someone (it was pretty loud) climbing the stairs. The thumping sound then changes to the sound of someone running across the hallway and gets significantly louder then...

 

'Bang!' The sound of his door being thrown open startled Jinki so much that he actually fell off his chair to land in a heap on the floor.

 

“Jinki!!!” A voice screeched so piercingly that Jinki actually felt the need to cover his ears to prevent himself from going deaf. After the screeching died down, he looked up to see his childhood friend, Sunyoung standing at the doorway with both hands behind her back. She was beaming at him, with a smile so bright that could rival the sun itself.

 

“Jinki, what are you doing on the floor? Get up, get up! Come on, I've brought something.” Sunyoung exclaimed, holding out one hand to help Jinki up, while keeping her other hand behind her back, still hiding whatever she brought with her.

 

Jinki took her hand and allowed her to pull him up, groaning when he heard his bones creaked as he stood.

 

“Really Sunyoung, can't you just knock like a normal person? This is a guy's room, and you're a girl. What if I happened to be when you barged in?” Jinki complained as he dusted of his clothes and checked himself for injuries.

 

“Oh psh, it won't be the first time.” Sunyoung snorted, waving him off. “Please Jinki, we bathed together until we were nine.”

 

“Yah! I told you never to bring that up again!” Jinki shouted, turning red. “Besides, it was a long time ago, and we've changed...” His voice trailed off as he thought of bathing with Sunyoung now. His face turned even redder, if that is possible, at the direction of which his mind is going. Back then, they were just kids, so they didn't really think much of bathing together. It was just fun, really. But now, he was aware that he is a guy, and Sunyoung was no longer a girl, but can be acknowledged as a woman. He was also well-aware that his body recognized and reacting to the fact that she's the opposite , with a very different anatomy than his. To put it mildly, he found out that recently he's becoming more interested and attracted to Sunyoung, as a man would react to a beautiful woman.

 

While Jinki was practically ogling his best friend, the involved person didn't notice, nor did she seemed to care. She was busy looking around for something. “Yah Jinki, where's your DVD player?”

 

Her question jerked Jinki's mind right out the gutter. He quickly looked away from Sunyoung, feeling guilty that he thought of his best friend in an entirely improper way, and worried that she might be reading his mind. She seemed to be able to do that sometimes, as they understands each other so well. Luckily for him, Sunyoung wasn't aware of his dirty thoughts. She just looked annoyed to him.

 

“Um, what?” He inquired, dumbfounded as she continued to stare at him.

 

“Your DVD player! I asked you where is it. Come on Jinki, pay attention to me!” Sunyoung, clearly irritated that he wasn't listening to her, snapped her fingers in front of his face to make a point.

 

Jinki sighed and caught her hand. It's because I paid too many attention to you that I've became like this, Jinki thought. “It's in the living room. Mom and dad borrowed it a couple of days ago to watch some trot competition DVD. Why?”

 

“Because we are going to have a movie night! I just bought this DVD, and – where did I put it?” Sunyoung turned and looked around the room, glancing back to the place she's been several moments ago. She spied her DVD on Jinki's study table and made a grab for it.

 

“Aha, here it is! Romeo and Juliet! Isn't it interesting?” She squealed, shoving the DVD a little too close to Jinki's face while showing it to him. Jinki snatched the DVD before Sunyoung gets more hyper and decided to whacked him with it. He stared at the cover, frowned, flipped the DVD to read the synopsis, then grimaced.

 

“It's romance. It's for girls. Besides, you already knows the storyline, and the ending. We've studied it in English class, so why bother watching it? Also, I need to finish my homework, so, no.” Jinki handed back the DVD to Sunyoung, and stalked off to his study table. Sunyoung followed, hot on his heels.

 

“Aww, come on! It's Friday night, Jinki! Take a break from studying, relax a little. You can always do your homework later. Let's have a movie night, and watch a movie. Watch this movie.” Sunyoung shook the DVD in front of Jinki. When he looked unimpressed, she sighed, and decided to try another tactic.

 

“Okay Jinki, you win. Since I know you're always so concerned about your education,” Sunyoung rolled her eyes at this, before continuing, “I've bought this DVD in it's original English language, not subbed, but with subtitles of course. When we watch this movie, we can improve our English pronunciation, and learn some new words as well. We can do all this while having some fun, instead of listening to some boring lectures. Wouldn't that be great? And this is Shakespeare's work, regarded as one of the most important story in English literature. Aren't you curious to see how his work be portrayed in real life situation?”

 

Sunyoung can see that Jinki was considering it, then decided to really persuade him. She knew he just can't resist this one tactic.

 

“Heung, Jinki oppa~” Sunyoung started, using her sweetest voice and making puppy eyes at Jinki. “Oppa, will you please watch this movie with me? I don't have anyone else to watch it with, and I don't want to watch it alone. And to be honest, I've only wanted to watch it with you, oppa. So will you? Please will you watch it with me? Please? Oppa?” Sunyoung finished her aegyo with a pretty pout, batting her eyes flirtatiously, all the while swaying her shoulder side to side.

 

Jinki, silent since Sunyoung began her tirade, closed his eyes, sighed and shook his head a little, trying to clear his muddled mind. She really knows how to get to me, Jinki thought, disgusted that he's so weak when facing a lethal attack from her like that. The second she said “Oppa”, I know I'm lost. It's like I never even had the chance to say no to her. (A/N : Jinki was just a couple of months older than Sunyoung, so she would never calls him “oppa”, unless she wants something from him, of course. ^^)

 

Eyes still closed, Jinki pinched the bridge of his nose, and muttered. “All right, go get the DVD player from the living room and we'll watch your movie.”

 

“Yay! Thanks Jinki, your the best!” Sunyoung squealed, placing a peck on Jinki's cheek before dashing off downstairs to fetch the DVD player.

 

Dazed for a second time, Jinki just sat there, stared into empty space before banging his head on the table three times to get himself under control. He then abruptly stood up and started tidying his homework to keep himself (and his mind) busy. By the time he finished, Sunyoung had just arrived back to the room, using her shoulder to nudged the open door wider as her hands were full. She was carrying the said DVD player, a box of popcorn, and a huge plastic bag of assorted snacks. Jinki, who noticed her armload of stuff, promptly went to relieve her of her burden.

 

“Yah, what is this? Did you ransacked our kitchen or something?” Jinki asked in disbelief, lifting up the huge plastic bag to check out its content.

 

“Your mom did say I may eat whatever I can find in the kitchen.” Sunyoung shrugged, her attention focused on hooking up the DVD player to the TV.

 

“Since when did our house have popcorn?” Jinki opened the box and popped some into mouth.

 

“Since I bought it, right after I bought the DVD.” Sunyoung smiled at Jinki. “ I had it all planned out. We'll make it exactly like at the cinema. We'll turned up the speakers to the max, dimmed the lights, and of course we'll have popcorn and – oh, damn it!” Sunyoung cursed, smacking her head.

 

“Wae? What wrong? And don't curse, Sunyoung, it's not polite.” Jinki admonished around a mouthful of popcorn.

 

“Yah, don't finish the popcorn before the movie even started!” Sunyoung snapped, snatching the popcorn box from Jinki. “And you weren't supposed to talk with your mouth full, Jinki. It's not polite.” She retorted, clearly mocking him. Jinki just grimaced, used to her playful teasing.

 

“By the way, I forgot to bring up the soft drinks. Could you fetch it for me?”

 

“No.” Jinki replied instantly, without hesitation. His hands were already busy searching through the huge bag of snacks to find something else to nibble, after his popcorn were taken away.

 

Sunyoung put down the popcorn on the table, then walked over to Jinki. Nonchalantly, she cupped his cheeks with her hands, and pulled his face close to hers.

 

“Jinki oppa, could you please bring up the drinks from the kitchen for me?” She asked with a honeyed voice, and an even more sweeter smile.

 

“Keu... Keurae...” Jinki mumbled, his eyes lost in her big brown ones.

 

“Good. Now go. Now.” Sunyoung turned around, heading back to fiddle some more with the DVD player, leaving a baffled Jinki behind.

 

After a while, when the DVD player all set, the lights dimmed, and the drinks brought up, Jinki and Sunyoung lounged on Jinki's bed, getting comfortable. They sat next to each other, so close that their shoulders were touching. Sunyoung then hit play on the remote, and the movie's intro filled up the screen.

 

“It's starting! Aren't you excited?” Sunyoung shrieked, her voice shrill because she was thrilled. Jinki just grunted as he opened a bag of chips. As the story progressed, Sunyoung was completely absorbed, her eyes glassy as they're glued to the screen. Meanwhile, Jinki was completely absorbed too, but his attention were reserved solely to eating. He seemed to be quite determined to finish off all the snacks, oblivious to the ongoing film.

 

When it came to the scene where the two lovers first met, Sunyoung squealed with delight, clapping her hands and cheering like a crazed fan girl. She was so wrapped up in her own world, that she didn't realize that Jinki was staring at her the whole, amused. He still preoccupied with eating, but sparing some of his attentions to Sunyoung now, as her actions just fascinates him.

 

Halfway through the movie, Jinki realizes two things at once. One, that he was still quite hungry, even though he already wolfed down all of the snacks available except for the box of popcorn in Sunyoung's hand. And two, he was entertained more by Sunyoung's overblown reaction to the movie than the movie itself. Her face was really expressive, and her hands never seemed to stay still as she used them gestured along, as if her expressions wasn't enough. When she started to spilled popcorn all over the place as she gets agitated over a certain scene, he tactfully removed the popcorn box from her hand (Of course, he didn't returned the popcorn to Sunyoung when she had calmed down, instead proceeded to finish off the rest of it himself).

 

Tears filled up in Sunyoung's eyes as the two misfortune lovers were separated. The tears escalated into full-blown sobbing when Romeo drank the poison seconds before his love awaken. Sunyoung wailed as she reached blindly at Jinki, leaning back against him. Jinki, well used to her antics, casually handed her a wade of tissues and pulled her close, gently her hair while biting back a smile. He loved the fact that she was so open, so expressive that he can read her like an open book. Sunyoung wore her heart on her sleeves, always expressing her feelings all the time. This fascinates Jinki a lot, as he was the complete opposite of her, always suppressing his feelings and keeping himself in control, afraid of letting his guard down. Afraid that if he did, he will get hurt. Sunyoung just threw cautions to the wind, not caring about the consequences. He also loved how she always turned to him for support, for assurance, and that she's never failed to be there for him when he needed her. This, he liked a lot, probably more than he should.

 

The movie finally came to an end (about time, thought Jinki) but Sunyoung was still caught up in the drama, sniffling and mumbling how the world is so unfair, the people so cruel for separating the lovers, and how tragic that the Romeo and Juliet are together only after they've died.

 

“I can't imagined being separated from my loved ones like that. Like, what if you and I were separated? I hope we'll never be like that, Jinki. If you leave me, I think I'll just die~” Sunyoung cried, flinging herself into Jinki's arms. She hit Jinki with a force that knocked him backward, bumping his head on the wall behind them.

 

“It's okay Sunyoungie, I promise I won't leave you.” Jinki patted her head with one hand, while rubbing the back of his head with another, grimacing when he felt the sizable bump that formed there. Sunyoung can be quite rough when she's having her dramatic outbursts. Though he was quite pleased that she counted him as one of her loved ones.

 

“And I promise not to murder your cousin or something like that.” He joked, smirking a little. When she just stared blankly at him, he wiped her tears with his fingers and clarified, “You know, so that I won't get thrown out of this country and be forced to leave you.”

 

Sunyoung chuckled a little at the absurdness of his joke. “So lame, Jinki. But I'll hold you to that promise.” She laid her head on his shoulder, and after a while, she felt him laying his head on top of hers. They stay like that for a long time, in that posture that was intimate, almost lover-like for most people, before falling asleep. For them, it was comfortable, just something familiar that they have done since a long time ago. But it won't be long before those feelings changed into something else.

 

------

Mrs. Lee creaked open the door and peeked inside her son's room. In the dimmed light, she can just made out the silhouette of two people sleeping, both their heads so close to each other, in what can be called a loose embrace. She contemplated on whether or not to wake up those two kids, but one look at their innocent faces, and she relented. She shook her head and closed the door silently. She wondered how long they'll remain like that, so innocent in their sleep. But for now, Mrs Lee sighed, for now, she'll let them be.  

 

A/N : Thank you for those who commented and subcribed to my story. I really really really appreciated it very much. To think that you guys have read, and some even commented, just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, hehe~

P.S. : Oh, I have another Lunew one-shot coming up, but not sure when I can update again. Since life is so difficult and all, sad~ :(