Chapter One

Next Time

How long were you going to have to wait? Why was it taking so long? The note said plain and simple: 

Meet me in the music room. 4pm. Don't be late. 

It was already five minutes to the hour. You always knew that guy was tactless, but this was just outrageous! You continued to sit at the upright piano. You saw the piece of music sitting on the stand and decided to open it up

"Chopin's Nocturne."

Your finger gently touched the first key and instantly like a jolt of lightning, that one not took you back to a place you never wanted to go again, but you needed to be there. You pulled your hair back into that familiar ponytail you wore whenever you played. You the keys gently and closed your eyes and as if they had a mind of their own your keys played every note. every slur, every slide, every sharp was played excellently. You let the composition take you back to that time and lost yourself in what once was.

 


 

"Geum Baek Hee?" You looked up from the composition you were studying and saw him standing there.

You didn't really know him very well. All you knew for sure was that he always hung around with the other eleven boys that called themselves EXO, whatever that meant. Park Chanyeol, was that his name? Yes, Park Chanyeol. You and him shared the same class together. He was the classrooms Happy Virus. He always knew how to make a person laugh. You didn't care much for his antics though. They were too distracting. 

You pulled yourself away from your thoughts and focused back on Chanyeol who was probably waiting for your answer.

"Yes. What is it?" I replied.

"Here you go." Chanyeol put a small piece of paper into your hands and walked away quickly.

What is this? You said aloud to yourself. You unfolded the paper and out fell a card. You picked up the card, but ignored it and continued to read the letter. 

Be here at 7pm tonight. Wait for me by the ivory pillar. Make sure to wear a dress. See you then.

You let your attention drop to the card, turned out it wasn't just any old card; it was a ticket. The ticket was for the schools autumn ball. You never planned on going, but you guessed since someone took the time to create such a gesture you could pop in.


 

"Jesus!" You shouted.

You accidently hit a sour note on the keys. The bad chord pulled you out of your memories. It'd been awhile since you last played this particular piece and needless to say you were pretty rusty. 

"Let's try again."

You the keys again and started back at the last correct measure you played. You let the music rock you and sway like a boat caught on calm waters. The music flowed through you as you drifted back into the past.

 


 

It was seven o'clock and you were waiting just as you were told. You stood and stood and stood watching the time and counting it in musical measures. The song playing wasn't exactly a classical piece so it wasn't your taste, but it did have the classical feel to it. You closed your eyes and mimiced the notes played by the songs piano accompaniment. You sawyed and moved your hands as though there really were a grand piano in front of you. You could feel each note course through your veins and present itself in the form of you. It was magical. You felt so calm in a scene you weren't used to. 

"Wow, you really do take you music seriously."

You stopped what you were doing and spun around in sheer embarrassment. You looked at the guy who startled you and scoffed. You knew exactly who this was. Kim Jongin, more commonly known as Kai.

"So, it was you."

"Yes, it was." He said ever so smugly.

"I'm leaving I don't have time for you."

You turned around and attempted to stalk off before Kai grabbed your wrist and spun you in to his arms trapping you. 

"Come on. One dance, please? That's all I need."

"No." You said firmly.

"I'll take that as a yes." 

Kai dragged you onto the dance floor just as another song was beginning to play. You recognized it almost instantly it was your favorite and it was the piece you were practicing for your audition into Juilliard, Chopin's Nocturne. How did he know?

"You're probably wondering how I knew." Kai said.

"No." yes.

"Oh, well then I'll tell you anyway." He continued. "I've been watching you Geum Baek Hee. I like you."

"You like anything with and heartbeat."

"True, but more specifically you." He smiled at you, no, not smiled. He smoldered.

"I'm not your type."

"Of course you are."

"You're not my type."

"How exactly do you know that?" He asked and spun you around.

How didn't you know? Kim Jongin had a reputation around the school for being a player. He dated girls and used them and threw them away when he was finished. He was a dog and a pig and you wanted nothing to do with a person like him. He was rude and filthy and slimey. 

"I'm not what everyone says I am, Baek Hee."  Geez, was he a mind reader too?!

"Why did you invite me here?"

"I've had a crush on you for a while and I want you to know that."

"So?"

"So, I'm asking you to date me; to be with me, as my girlfriend."

"Kai, I don't-"

"No, don't tell me right now. When we all return back to school after winter vacation. Tell me then."

"But, Kai I already-"

"Nope, not a second sooner." Kai leaned forward and planted a small and very permanent kiss on your cheek "Until then."

With that the player let go of you and struted away leaving you only with thoughts and the ghost of a kiss on your left cheek.

 


 

"I'm here!" Kai announced as he walked in, just as you finished the composition. "So, what's the answer."

You pulled your hair from it's ponytail and straighned out your clothing. Slowly you walked over to where Kai stood and looked deep into his eyes. They reminded you so much of that night all those months ago. You hiked yourself on to your tippy-toes and softly kissed his cheek and slid a small piece of paper into his pocket.

"Maybe, next time." With that you walked off leaving him exactly as he left you.

 


What?! Kai thought to yourself as Geum Baek Hee walked away taking a piece of his heart with him. Kai angrily shaked his hair out and kicked over the closest music stand. He took long deep breaths trying to calm himself doen from the humiliation of being embarrassed. What is this? He asked himself and pulled out the piece of paper Baek Hee had slipped into his blazer pocket. He unfolded the paper and a smile forced itself upon his face.

 

Now you know how it feels. Starbucks 7pm, friday night. See you next time.