one night

one night

You turned to your side as you try to wake yourself up from a very nice restful sleep. Your eyes opened slowly, and suddenly widened on what you saw. A guy was sleeping beside you, in your bed! You hurriedly sat up and took a good look at the still sleeping man. And you remembered what happened last night. Then you realized you are not even in your own bed. After  reprimanding yourself about being an idiot, you quickly got dressed and silently left the apartment. When you made it home, you took a shower and composed yourself because judging by the number of missed calls and voicemails you got from your best friend she is definitely on her way to ask you a lot of questions.

The door bell rang, you languidly made your way to the door to calm yourself. You need to feel less guilty because just like a shark your best friend can smell fear a mile away, especially if you are trying to hide something from her. You opened the door and smiled. Wrong move. She looked at you suspiciously and  then returned your smile wickedly. She went ahead of you and put the take out containers on the coffee table at your living room, sat on the floor and waited for you expectantly. You decided that keeping things from her is definitely a feat like scaling Mt. Everest  without you dying on first few kilometers.  So might as well tell all if she asks, and she will definitely ask.

“ So, how was your night?” Lea, your bestfriend started while opening the take out containers of your breakfast.

“OK, I guess.”

“What do you mean by ok? You just got home, did you?”

You nodded my answer. She looked at you, waiting for your detailed account of what happened last night. And you told her everything. From the time you left the bar until you got home.

“You left him sleeping?!”

“Yeah? Should I have woken him up?”

“OMG! Did you get his number or even gave yours?”

“I don’t think we even have the time for exchanging numbers last night. And what do I need his number for? It’s not like I’m going to call him anyway. It was all a mistake. The sooner I forget about it the better.”  You  said with finality and brook no arguments.

Lea opened but you shook your head  ‘no’ at her. With a big sigh she went on eating her breakfast, as you did yours.

 

It has been a hellish two weeks. And he still can’t take her out of  his head. She left without  a trace, did not even leave her number. All he knows is her name. He combed his hand through his hair from his  frustration.  And since he has to leave for a business trip after that night, he did not have the time to call one of his friends to ask if anyone of them knows her. The announcement of the plane’s landing   took  him out of his jumbled thoughts.

 

You made your  way home from the nearby supermarket. It has been more than two weeks since that fateful night. You swore to yourself that you will never go out drinking again with Lea, best friend or not. It was not a mistake you’re going to make again. As you walk through the door of your apartment , your mobile phone started ringing. You went to the kitchen and put down your groceries as you answered your phone.

“Alice! I’m going over. I need to talk to you.”  Then you heard a busy tone.

“What the heck?! That girl is taking something, I swear!”

You put away your groceries and made yourself a sandwich as you wait for Lea.

 

“Are you sure?”

“I am sure. She’s a very close friend of Lea. I met her before. A word of caution, don’t do anything you will regret later. She’s not like the girls you usually hook up with.”

“I know. Thanks, Byou.”

He hanged up and dialed the number he had written in a piece of paper.

 

“Let’s go out tonight, please?” Lea begged you.

“No!”

“Please?  And we are going to a party. Remember Byou? He invited us to come to his party. We are not going to bar. It’s just a small party at someone’s house.”

“I don’t think I received any invitation.” You narrowed your eyes at her. Gotcha!

“Lea, are you seeing  Byou? And don’t lie to me.”

Lea blushed and nodded. You were surprised,  Lea never blush no matter how embarrassing a situation is. Somebody is in love, you smiled to yourself.

“Ok, I’ll go with you.”

“Thank you! You are the best! Here, wear this.” She hugged you and gave you a paper bag. She told you to be ready by 8pm as she went out the door.

“She’s here.”  He whispered with relief. Time for part two of his plan.

Fortunately,  most of Byou’s friends you have met before through Lea so you are having fun at the party. You tried to stay away from the bar. No alcohol for you tonight. They have been trying to make you drink even just a sip of alcohol but you refused saying that you wanted to keep your head tonight.

You were listening to a friendly banter between Kazuki and his wife when you  heard a familiar voice whisper in your ear.

“Enjoying  yourself, Alice?”

You turned your head to the direction of your voice and got a shock. A centimeter more and you would have your nose touching with his.

“Rui....” you breathed.

You tried putting a space between  the two of you but to no avail. He wrapped his arm casually around your waist and pulled you closer to him.

“Good to know that you still remember my name.” He whispered.

“It’s not as if I want to remember.” You retorted.

“I won’t let you forget my name.”

 

You slowly opened your eyes, praying and hoping that last night has been all a dream as well as the arm lying on your stomach. When you looked to your side, you saw Rui sleeping beside you. You gently removed his arm from you and carefully sat up, putting a blanket around your  body . You cautiously started getting up but a voice behind you prevented you from even leaving the bed.

“Planning on running away again, Alice?”

You kept you back facing him. You felt him sat up behind you. He put his hands on your shoulders and gently turned you around.  You lowered your head to avoid looking at him. He put his hand under your chin and made you look at him. Then bent his head to kiss you.  A kiss that made you remember  the nights you have shared with him. He ended the kiss reluctantly and whispered to your ear.

“Don’t try running away again, because I will definitely catch you every time.”