1

Restricted Soul

Boring. Yeah, it's hell boring, or do I have to say that it had reached a point where I'm in my utmost boredom. The sound of the running car engine, fresh air entering the widow and sinking through may hair's tufts, breathtaking views passing across my sight, it didn't affect me because my gaze still focusing on nothing but the mental emptiness inside my mind. Yeah, it seems something refreshing for those whom their case is totally different from mine right now. A voice interrupted my thoughts. Dad, the one who caused me to be like this.

 

"Ah, what an enchanting view for the eye, what a queer refreshing air. See my son, in the end it's not that bad right?" My dad muttered sheepishly.

 

I rolled my eyes in a bored manner. Well, yeah! It hasn't even started yet!

 

Let me back up a little to the beginning of the whole thing.

 

 

Flashback

 

 

I entered my house after returning from school, or rather after hanging out with my childhood friend Kyungsoo, or so-called D.O as a nickname I used to call him. The fear struck me a bit when I saw my Dad's frowned expression and my Mom's calmed face as they sat in the living room on the couch. Dad started talking out of blue in a very calm tone which I don't really prefer to hear. Oh man! That tone means I'm in trouble.

 

"Luhan, we have to talk."

 

I swallowed my saliva nervously. Oh god! He may scold me for coming home late, or rather he figured about my tests results. I approached my parents and sat on the couch across them,  my facial expression a mixture of fear and nervousness as I stared at them.

 

"Son," My Dad started calmly.

 

I stared at him intensely waiting for him to complete.

 

"This might surprise you a bit, and you may not embrace it well, but you're forced to embrace it whether you like it or not. As you see, I am the President of the Security Center here, but some conditions occurred suddenly. I received orders from higher authorities that they'll transfer me to a small area in the west of Korea temporarily, or maybe permanently if it takes so from the higher authorities because the lack of efficiency. And what I wanted to tell you is that we're going to move from Seoul to that area in less than two days. I'm not willing to live parted from my family, and that's all." My dad explained to me, in one breath, the whole situation as if it's already settled and it's an order for me.

 

A silence spread for a while. My eyes rounded in shock as soon as realization hit me for what I just heard.

 

I hastily rose from my seat and yelled angrily, "Dad! What are talking about? Are you serious?" My dad nodded calmly while staring at me.

 

"No! It's impossible! How could I leave my friends and my school and my own hometown that I lived and grew up in? I'm not going to move! You go yourself; it's none of my business!" I yelled once more furiously.

 

"LUHAN!" My mom yelled firmly.

 

I sighed heavily and started to walk upstairs to my room. I slammed the door after I entered hardly to show how angry I was. I went straight to my bed and plopped my body down.

 

How could they do that to me?! Unbelievable! Don't they realize that I'm a grown person now? And they have to tell me before making decisions; I'm not a kid anymore.

 

•~♦~•

 

In the next morning, I decided on heading early to school to bid farewell to my friends, and for some other reason, avoiding my parents as well because I know very well that if I met them, a really sharp controversy will start and it will end up with a punishment. I have to embrace it sooner or later, wherefore I will make them feel guilty and make it up for me in a way or another. There's no point for receiving a punishment since I'm moving inevitably.

 

During lunch time, I went with my friend D.O to our usual sitting spot in the school, it maybe the last time I'm going to it. We sat in silence for a while until D.O interrupted the silence mumbling calmly, "So, it's settled, right?"

 

I nodded in response while staring at the students in front of me who are having fun with each other in the school's backyard, some of them laughing, others chatting.

 

For the first time, I'll miss this feeling. I don't think that I'll ever find any friends like mine there, my life will be miserable.

 

"Don't worry! You have a chance though, to turn to Seoul." D.O added excitedly.

 

I turned to look at him curiously.

 

"Okay, in your last year of high school you can return to Seoul for college. It's a really convincing reason enough for your Dad, isn't it?" He hopefully explained.

 

My eyes rounded when I realized his words, I got up and attacked him with a sudden hug, "Yah! D.O-ah, you're a genius!" I cheerfully exclaimed. He pushed me lightly with a disgusted facial expression and mumbled, "Hyung! People will think wrong of us." I chuckled while pulling away from him.

 

 

End of flashback

 

 

It didn't seems like what D.O said, it's very far from it actually. As soon as we arrived to that village, I almost got a heart attack. Our new 'home' is a primitive place, which means: no internet, no fun places.

 

How on earth could I bear this for one whole damn year!

 

We entered the new house which isn't not that bad. It's double size compared to my old house, there's so many rooms, bathrooms, etc.

But it doesn't compare to my old house in any way.

 

•~♦~•

 

Three days passed. During that period, my dad attended me to a renowned school in the area. I didn't embrace the attending thing, because I've never registered in another school before as a new student. What's made it even worse, since the first day, are the girls who started to annoy me and the guys that stare at me in irreverence. I thought of how I could make  new friendships in this miserable situation, but I ended up being with the most 'famous' gang in the school. I'm not looking for  such a strong relationship with them anyway, I'm just hanging out with them to waste my time here. They're four: Suho, Kris, Xiumin, and Chen. They are the kindest people who acted nice towards me in this school, for that I decided to be friends with them.

 

•~♦~•

 

After a week, I started to get used to it; just a bit on staying in this area and school. Although there isn't any entertainment and internet network,  my Dad somehow managed to deliver internet network to our house since he's the-president-of-the-Security-Center and whatnot. This eases the communication between me and D.O, and telling him about the stuff that's going on in my ordinary days, which eased it for me actually. I would've died of boredom if I didn't have someone to talk to casually.

 

Lunch time arrived soon and as usual I went with the new gang to our spot at the backyard. We started to eat while chatting with each other, except me of course. For some reason my gaze spread across the distance. All of sudden something appeared in front me that caught all my attention, more like a person; a girl. Yes, a girl struck me with her stunning beauty. I'm not exaggerating, but I've never really seen a girl in this much of attraction, beauty, and breathtaking charms since I arrived to this area, or rather since I lived in Seoul.

 

How could a human being be so damn stunning?

 

Then one of my gang members interrupted me when he patted on my arm, causing me to jolt awake from my trail of thoughts.

 

"Luhan? Why are you so absent-minded? We were talking to you awhile ago and you didn't response," Xiumin muttered worriedly.

 

Then I realized now that I turned back to awareness.

 

"T-that girl. There's...I was staring at her... s-she's so beautiful," I stuttered shyly and coughed embarrassingly while I scratched the back of my head.

 

All the gang turned their gazes at where I was staring. Soon, they turned to look at me weirdly.

 

"What girl are you talking about?" Chen asked confusion written in all of his face.

 

I immediately turned to look at where she was a second ago and didn't find her. She disappeared suddenly.

 

My eyes rounded for a millisecond. "S-she was there a second ago, m-maybe she went to another place." I stuttered confused, my gaze still focusing on the place where I saw her earlier.

 

Silence spread for a while until Suho started to talk calmly. "Describe her."

 

I turned to look at them and started to rub my chin in thought, "S-she's really beautiful, she has a big wide-rounded eyes, and a small mouth and nose. Her hair brown-golden colored. Tall, but not much. Her height suits her nice body," I muttered dreamily remembering her.

 

The silence is back to ruin the atmosphere, a weird one actually. They're all staring at me in awe like I said something weird.

 

"Um...we haven't seen a girl with these specifications in this school before," Kris murmured confusingly as Suho nodded in agreement.

 

"Yeah, we really haven't seen her and there's no girl that has the specific description you said earlier," Suho stated.

 

My eyes widened mightily. W-what!? "M-maybe she's a shy girl and she doesn't show herself usually and doesn't get out of the classroom!" I added with a really a desperate tone.

 

Xiumin shook his head and said determinedly, "No, there's no girl with these specifications in this school. I'm aware of each and every girl in this school, and I haven't seen her before."

 

I paused after that in confusion.

 

•~♦~•

 

Nothing important had actually happened after the incident as the school day passed in ease.

 

In my room I plopped my body down on the bed tiredly. I couldn't help but think of the girl I saw earlier. What's wrong with them? How could I see her while they don't? It's not like I'm acting in some horror movie or so...ugh! I'm willing to search for her tomorrow! She must exist and they don't know who she is!

 

The next day I decided on searching for her and figure out what's her name. As I planned, I searched for her in nearly every inch of the school (it's a big one as well for an area like this). I asked every single teacher about her, but all the answers were disapprobation and denials and I didn't find any evidence of her. Although my friends assured me before, I was really determined to find her. My friends denounced what I did and called me insane, but I could care less about that. In the end, I'm not in a really deep relationship with them and they also don't know anything about me except the fact that I'm a new student and my name's Luhan. Moreover, they don't know about my personality. What they don't know is that I'm a one hell of a stubborn person and once I put a specific thing in my mind, there's no one and nothing that could stop me from getting it right away.

 

I grew frustrated at the end of the day when I couldn't even get a glimpse of her. Maybe, they were right after all, maybe I was just imagining her. I grabbed my cell phone, which was dropped on the desk in my room, I unlocked it and started to type a text massage to D.O.

 

'D.O-ah! I want to tell you about something weird that happened to me yesterday.'

 

Less than few minutes passed when I received a reply from him.

 

'What? What happened?'

 

I sighed heavily and typed down a reply text.

 

'Actually...okay, I saw a girl yesterday during lunch time, and she was damn stunning and literally amazing, It's not even exaggerated! And she disappeared. When I asked about her at school, all of their answers were disapprobation and denials, even the new gang that I hang out with called me insane! I hardly believed that. In the end, it turns out that they were right.'

 

After a few more seconds, I received the reply and opened it with shaky hands. Please! Don't be like them, not you too.

 

'If you saw her, then you saw her. There's no need to think twice about it. Maybe they didn't see her before, and maybe she's ill and she barely comes to school and she came in that day when you saw her. And with all that, it's impossible that you were imagining because what the eye sees, exists. It's not like you have a supernatural eye or something, but you did see her and it's a matter of fact. If you were imagining or if it was an illusion, you couldn't have been seen her clearly in front of you. In my opinion, there's something off about this!'

 

I heaved a deep breath in relief. At least there's someone who doesn't think I'm an insane or something. I typed a little last words before locking my phone.

 

'D.O-ah, thanks man, you're the best friend I ever had.'

 

•~♦~•

 

A week passed since the incident. I didn't ask about her anymore and my friends returned to hanging out with me again as if nothing had happened. Actually I gave up on searching for her. Why should I tire myself out with searching for someone that probably doesn't exist. Maybe D.O was a bit wrong. I don't know the truth anymore, but I started to think that I was imagining because I was bored and my mentality shaped a picture that I really did see in front of me just for my own desire, nothing less nothing more.

 

•~♦~•

 

Another week passed too, and I nearly forgot about it; the idea no longer appeared in my mind.

 

"Everybody go take some rest!" The teacher yelled suddenly from the middle of the school's backyard, where we were practicing during PE class.

 

After a while of practicing and playing soccer, everyone in the field dropped their exhausted bodies on the ground, panting hardly. I headed to  the storage building that stores tools to rest there instead. I sat in the front of the door totally exhausted, it's not that I wanted to estrange myself from them, but I'm not in really good terms with them anyway. Since I came here, the guys shackle to me in envy and hatred because the girls in the class attract their attention to me always; it's not like I wanted it either. It has become unbearable, every single day I get a confession from a girl, love letters in my locker, or lunch boxes on my table. Enough is enough. I had reached my utmost patience and screamed the hell out at them telling them to leave me alone because I don't give a about them. After that, the envy and hate increased from both the girls and guys; in fact, I liked it. I no longer need to get rid of the annoying girls and their flirting and confessions. Although there's still a few girls that come rarely and confess their love to me, however at least it's much better than before.

 

 

I sighed heavily while closing my eyes and inhaled the fresh air. I felt a presences nearing to me calmly. With a half-opened eye, I glanced at the person before me. I tried hard to hold a scoff and rolled my eyes. Another girl trying to flirt with me, don't they get tired of the rejects? The girl smiled sheepishly and approached a few steps towards me. Without a second thought, I rose up from my place with an intent to walk away, but something suddenly came up to my mind. I slowed down my pace and turned back to her, the girl's eyes widened in surprise as her smile returned too. Does she thinks that I returned because of her? I tried hard to hold back my laugher.

 

"Have you, in any chance, seen a girl with a brown-golden hair and big, wide-rounded eyes with a small nose and mouth?" I asked in one cue carefully while watching her response.

 

Her face darkened by hearing that which authenticated the truth of my assumptions.

 

"How do you know about her? Where did you see her? Who told you about her?" She snapped suddenly.

 

All that questions proved ,without doubt, the validity of my assumptions; I really saw her and wasn't imagining. I smirked when a brilliant idea snuck up to my mind.

 

"I'm her childhood friend and I came back to look for her because I haven't seen her in a long time. And now I return to meet my childhood friend again," I said calmly and casually to support my lie. I'm a professional liar, having lied to my dad and teachers.

 

Maybe It's just an illusion, but her facial expressions became darker than it already is.

 

"I don't know! And don't ever ask me about that anymore!" She said through gritted teeth very harshly.

 

And with that she walked away from me. I didn't remove my gaze away from her until she disappeared in the distance. There's something off.

 

When I entered my room, I threw my bag on the floor and plopped down on the bed, not bothering to change my school uniform. I was too utterly tired to even move. I sighed heavily and thoughts started to run into my mind. It's right! D.O was right! She does really exists! But why does everybody deny her existence? Or do they ignore the fact of her existence? I really don't know. I thought about texting D.O, but it's really late now. It's past two in the morning, he's probably sleeping and snoring like a pig by now to reply properly to my texts.

 

The time passed and I tossed on my bed uncomfortably. Actually, an hour ago I got up and showered then changed into more comfortable clothes and still can't sleep. My mind was busy with thoughts of that girl, and other than that, the other girl and her expressions earlier. I heaved a heavy breath and closed my eyes to force myself to sleep.

 

I woke in the next day with a big grin plastid on my face; I actually planed all the night on a plan that will figure an answers of a few questions that I'm really curious about.

 

In the lunch time I pulled Chen in a corner away from the others to help me on my plan; Chen is a new student as well like me, and apparently his Dad working with my Dad, and that is really an ease to ask him a favor.

 

"Chen, I want you to help me in necessary thing!" I half-whispered to him aware to don't make anyone hear. He nodded to me. "Ok, what you're up to?" Chen as well half-whispered like me curiously.

 

•~♦~•

 

When night came and the darkness spread everywhere, I stood in front of a column near my house and Chen's house as well, since he lives next door. After a few minutes, Chen snuck out of  his house carefully as to not to be caught by his parents. When he approached me, we both nodded to each other and dashed out to the school.

 

As soon as we arrived, we saw two guards standing in front of the school's door and they were chatting with each other while drinking something; I assumes it was tea. I sighed lightly and turned to Chen behind me.

 

"There are two in front of the school gates, but I'm assuming that there's more inside," I murmured lightly.

 

He patted my shoulder lightly. "Let's not rush, we should think about a way to get in without drawing attention," Chen said calmly.

 

After that, we both headed in separate ways. I went from the east and Chen from the west. We both agreed to climb the wall and meet at the rear door that the workers and cafeteria ladies get in. As soon as I arrived, I saw Chen already standing there. He sure is faster than I am. We inserted the key into the door and opened it. About the way we got the key, Chen's the one who got it. He flirted with a girl and asked her to bring the key for him. I couldn't do that because I know very well that I'll end up yelling at the girl if my patience ended but still, I'm thankful to said girl for indirectly helping me.

 

We rushed our way into the empty school's hallways. It's my first time entering the school at night and seeing it empty of the students and teachers with the darkness circling it, it's a little bit scary. I stared around me in fear; it's a really scary not seeing a figure anywhere. As soon as we got there, we inserted the key once more in the door. The girl didn't just bring the rear door key, she also brought the keys of the whole school's rooms since no spares exist and the only copy belong to the guards, which we really have to bring it back before we get caught.

 

We both entered the room. It's one full with student files, including the students whom died or are missing. We separated and started to search for the files for the missing or dead students. Whilst I searched deeply amidst the files and checking on each and every picture of the students, an old file caught my attention; it seems like no one even touched it in ages. I reached my hand to grab it but I heard the sound of falling papers and turned to look. The papers were thrown around Chen, who was smiling a goofy smile while scratching the back of his head.

 

"Sorry they slipped from my hands," he whispered embarrassingly to me. I nodded to him and we both started collecting the thrown papers. I grabbed a specific paper on the ground that had caught all of my attention and utterly shocked me, I literally couldn't move and say anything. My eyes widened hardly; I thought they would almost go out of their spot. I stared at the picture in awe. I-it's h-her! I tapped Chen's arm lightly and he turned immediately while staring at me confusedly. I passed the picture to him, he gazed at me then turned his gaze to the picture. His eyes widened and his facial expressions were not much different than mine; fear, shock, loss of words. He finally whispered after a silence lasted for a few minutes. "D-don't tell me t-that s-she's the girl you saw her earlier?"

 

With a shaky breath, I nodded. He turned to look at her file, but a sound of footsteps approaching stopped him. Chen freaked and held my arms while pulling me under a big table to hide. I still wasn't in my right mind yet; I couldn't believe that what I saw was real. I forced myself to forget about that and not think much of it. The door suddenly opened, causing me to jolt and turn back to reality. We both bent our bodies as much we could so we wouldn't be noticed. I lowered my head a little to have a good vision of who entered; it sure wasn't the guard because what I saw proved to me that said person wasn't even a male. It was a female and that was obvious from her legs. I couldn't look further than that or I'll be caught for sure. We heard a voice which caused us to hold our breaths. She murmured incomprehensible words and made a noise while searching in the papers; that's what seemed to me from the sounds. She must be searching for something. My trail of thoughts was interrupted by her sentence; she spoke louder this time, not much but more like a whisper we could hear.

 

"Where the hell did her picture go? Ugh!" She sighed heavily, annoyed.

 

Less than a few minutes passed until she left. We heard the door close, both of us sighed in contact.

 

"O-our clue's gone," Chen mumbled in frustration.

 

I smirked lightly, "Not exactly, her picture's with me."

 

•~♦~•

 

Both of us went back to our houses. I headed to my room and sat on my chair before my desk. I took out the picture from my pocket and stared at it intensely. In the end, it wasn't just Illusions. But...why? Why is everyone hiding her existence? Or do they really not know about her? Or there's a secret behind all of this? I didn't think much of it because I was hell tired to even think about any other thing.

 

I woke up early the next morning. I went to enter the bathroom but stopped to stare at the picture a little bit. I entered the bathroom immediately to shower after that. After dressing up, I went downstairs. I gazed around me for awhile and didn't find anyone; anyone meant to be my parents. With a contact sigh, I went out. I really don't want them to see me going to school early because they'd think I love it. That was far from it actually. Maybe it was a ridicules reason, because I still want to go back to Seoul again. I don't want to show that I embraced the situation. Like I said before, I'm a one hell of stubborn person.

 

I arrived to school and went to the class to rest a bit before the lessons begins. Upon the arrival of the fifth period, I excused myself to go to the bathroom. I got out of the classroom and closed the door behind me while sighing lightly. I headed through the hallways to get to the boy's restroom. To be honest, it wasn't a necessary need. I just wanted to get some fresh air; I stayed the whole day in the class and didn't leave for a moment, even during lunch time. I wasn't really in the mood to see anyone. All I thought about was that girl and the mystery around her. I have the feeling that I want to meet her so badly and satisfy my curiosity but nothing from that happened and because of that, I started to make my own imaginations about her.

 

I was walking near the storage building and the sport's field to get to the bathroom. Damn this big school! I have to walk a whole round just to get to the restroom!

 

A voice interrupted my thoughts; a strange one more like a murmur. I stopped for a moment and turned around to find the voice's source. I found a girl sitting a few steps before me while her back faced me. I swallowed hard while walking to her. As soon as I figured out who she was, my heartbeat started to race in fear and nervousness.

 

I-it's h-her! As soon as I approached enough, my eyes widened hardly like they're about to leave their spots. N-no! I-I cannot believe! I-impossible!